It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1162.htm
<< 1159  1160  1161    1163  1164  1165 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Q and Z. I will dig around and see if I can find anything on early fuk. I've only come across 2 pictures in between the quake and the Tsunami, and they've both been on the thread. It is amazing how nothing has shown up after all this time. It's out there. We know it.
I also agree about that "reporter" who was there, what? Six weeks? And he gave us footage much worse than tepco's? Something stinks.
Well tonight we have a radiation forcast. [At least somebody is trying, right?]

And the video of the first week from the south cam to review.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
In No #1 tonight, they have a light in one of the windows which has not been seen before. Maybe they have a nightwatchman in there? haha (on the other hand, they may all be having a party)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Cesium Absorption Towers..."Temporary" Storage...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Study Aims to Link Japanese Reactor Leaks Deaths in U.S. 19Dec11

The U.S. appears to have suffered about 14,000 excess deaths in the period after the Japanese Fukushima nuclear plant was severely damaged, researchers said.

The finding, which is the latest report from researchers who have repeatedly sounded alarms about risks from Fukushima, was based on CDC data on deaths in a set of U.S. cities from March 20 to June 25 -- a 14-week period starting after the radioactivity released from the reactor on March 11 has reached the U.S., according to Joseph Mangano, MPH, of the non-profit Radiation and Public Health Project, based on Ocean City, N.J., and author Janette Sherman, MD.

Over that period, the number of deaths, compared with the same period in 2010, was up 4.46%, Mangano and Sherman reported online in the International Journal of Health Services.

NRC Head Jaczko Satisfied With Response to Fukushima Crisis

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko said he’s satisfied with Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501)’s efforts to end the crisis at the wrecked Fukushima atomic plant.

The melted fuel in the reactors at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant has cooled enough to prevent any further releases of radiation beyond the station, Jaczko told reporters today in Tokyo after a visit to the station.

He spoke four days after Japanese officials declared that the reactors, which were damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, have been brought to a state known as cold shutdown. Some nuclear scientists disputed that the term accurately described conditions at the plant. Jaczko called the declaration a “tremendous milestone.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Jacob Adelman in Tokyo at jadelman1@bloomberg.net

===============================
Do you think reporters these days are quite happy to sit around looking for easy stories rather than going out and making them happen? I would have thought there are more newsworthy things happening than Jaczko's visit to Fukushima and by just talking to the contractors reporters could easily write interesting articles. I dont understand why there are not more on-the-ground stories coming out.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Konban Wa Minna-Samma

A friend send the Pic today:

This is from the Swiss (Tribe of Robbers in the Mountains between Germany and the South)
A Institute called "ENSI"!
Original Source

They compared the Radiation with Chernobyl and F'Shima,
as we can see the Pic from F'Shima is much less radiated that this from the Belarus!

F'Shima never got the astronomical Radiation like we have seen 25 years ago,
at least until now!

I hope it will stay like so!

For the People who can read German the Article are highly recommended!
edit on 21-12-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2011 by Human0815 because: info

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Danger!

Noticed at the first hint of this three weeks ago...information dissemination started dwindling...

www.reuters.com...

A really tight lid is about to be sealed...

- Purple Chive

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Danger!

Noticed at the first hint of this three weeks ago...information dissemination started dwindling...

www.reuters.com...

A really tight lid is about to be sealed...

- Purple Chive

December 21, 2011 Tokyo Electric Power Company On December 21, Yomiuri Newspaper reported that, "TEPCO in a de facto Nationalization - TEPCO reviews to receive financial support of 2 trillion yen from public and private financial institutions.

" We have not yet reached any concrete decisions concerning nationalization and/or receiving capital infusion.

Our present focus is on cost cutting and the securement of capital reserves via vigorous rationalization of management and operations.

edit on 21-12-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
In No #1 tonight, they have a light in one of the windows which has not been seen before. Maybe they have a nightwatchman in there? haha (on the other hand, they may all be having a party)

Or...some poor night shift worker, is starting to glow in the dark....

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Genkai plant's No. 1 unit found to contain high amount of impurity

FUKUOKA, Dec. 21, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/12/133000.html

The reactor vessel of the aging No. 1 unit at the Genkai nuclear power plant in Saga Prefecture was found to contain a high amount of copper, an impure substance, compared with other reactors operated by Kyushu Electric Power Co., officials of the utility said Wednesday.

Some experts say a high content rate of copper could speed up the deterioration of a nuclear reactor vessel every time it is showered by neutrons when nuclear fission occurs.

The steel vessel of the 559,000-kilowatt unit, which began operating in 1975, contains 0.12 percent of copper, about 6.6 times the amount of 0.018 percent in the No. 3 unit whose operation began in 1994, the officials said.

A company official explained that under the technology around the time the construction of the No. 1 unit began in 1971, it was not able to remove further impurities from steel to make the reactor vessel.

Kyushu Electric idled the No. 1 unit on Dec. 1 for regular checks.

Copyright 2011 Kyodo News

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Aomori municipalities call on gov't to maintain nuclear fuel recycling

TOKYO, Dec. 21, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/12/132979.html

Leaders of municipalities in Aomori Prefecture, where several nuclear power-related facilities are located, urged the central government on Wednesday to maintain its nuclear power policies, including those on nuclear fuel recycling.

In a petition submitted to the Economy, Trade and Industry Ministry, mayors of the city of Mutsu, the town of Oma, and the villages of Higashidori and Rokkasho said stable progress in nuclear power generation and atomic fuel cycle operations are "essential" for Japan's energy security.

"No matter how much technological innovation progresses, it is extremely difficult to replace nuclear power energy with renewable energy," the mayors from northeastern Japan said in the petition. As such, maintaining the nation's current nuclear power policy would be a "realistic" approach, they added.

Their calls come at a time when the government is reviewing Japan's energy policy, which was endorsed in 2010 to seek to increase the country's reliance on nuclear energy.

A government committee on energy policy confirmed Wednesday it would review the policy from scratch, following the nuclear accident at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, crippled by the March quake-tsunami disaster.

The mayors of municipalities hosting nuclear power generation and nuclear fuel cycle facilities in Aomori called on the government to maintain its subsidy program for areas with such facilities and improve social infrastructure in their regions, such as escape roads and harbors in the event of a disaster.

Copyright 2011 Kyodo News

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by VinceH

2) The up-and-left movement is really strange. If it was a nuclear event with that velocity, we should see a shock wave / camera shaking / dust cloud. There isn't one.
3) The image shifts several times during the event.

Hmm... Did anyone catch see this live?

Vince

Welcome Vince. Number 2 is an interesting thought. The movement or jerking to the left, both when it first goes light, and again when it readjusts, is odd to me too. I initially thought someone bumped or moved the cam causing a lens flare, but the fact that the second jerk mirrors the first and isnt a lensflare is peculiar. It would be interesting know what a frame by frame turns up.

It would also be interesting to match the time of the flash with the Tepco web cam and see what it shows

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Hey AC thanks for all your hard work & so much time, you are greatly appreciated! Sorry I took some stills from you "Crazy Light" video on Dec 3 & I have not had any time to post them. I went frame by frame & saw
some good stuff as well as everything still being "Hotter than Hell".
My question is in re to this later video with the "Flash"...I apologize I haven't had time to look things up & you guys are quick...so we're facing Unit 4 & what is directly behind us? I know it may be a lame question, but it almost appears as if we were standing there that something behind us blew or flashed towards #4 like a bright photo flash for a picture projecting towards the building. Sorry for my bad description, I hope some one knows what I mean.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Here are the Poolium pictures I have at the moment. I used to have the original Big Close Up &
& the photo disappeared from the web a while back & they even showed the same photo with the wall cleaned.

Don't know if it helps but thought I would throw it out there just in case.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Another old reactor that's showing signs of deteriorating mdn.mainichi.jp...

FUKUOKA (Kyodo) -- The reactor vessel of the aging No. 1 unit at the Genkai nuclear power plant in Saga Prefecture was found to contain a high amount of copper, an impure substance, compared with other reactors operated by Kyushu Electric Power Co., officials of the utility said Wednesday.

Some experts say a high content rate of copper could speed up the deterioration of a nuclear reactor vessel every time it is showered by neutrons when nuclear fission occurs.

The steel vessel of the 559,000-kilowatt unit, which began operating in 1975, contains 0.12 percent of copper, about 6.6 times the amount of 0.018 percent in the No. 3 unit whose operation began in 1994, the officials said.

A company official explained that under the technology around the time the construction of the No. 1 unit began in 1971, it was not able to remove further impurities from steel to make the reactor vessel.

Kyushu Electric idled the No. 1 unit on Dec. 1 for regular checks.

-------------------------------------------------

And as an aside, yesterday was the 60th anniversary of nuclear power. A day of mourning if ever there was one.

Exactly 60 years ago today in Arco, Idaho, scientists and engineers successfully used nuclear energy to power four 200-watt light bulbs.......At 1:23pm on December 20, 1951, Argonne National Laboratory director Walter Zinn scribbled into his log book, “Electricity flows from atomic energy. Rough estimate indicates 45 kw.” At that moment, scientists from Argonne and the National Reactor Testing Station watched four light bulbs glow, powered by the world’s first nuclear reactor to generate electricity.

edit on 21-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
A PDF on the #2 pool.
www.tepco.co.jp...

And one on Cesium storage.
www.tepco.co.jp...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ektar
Here are the Poolium pictures I have at the moment. I used to have the original Big Close Up &
& the photo disappeared from the web a while back & they even showed the same photo with the wall cleaned.

Yes this helped alot. Thanks Ektar. I never noticed the black mass in the lower left corner. Do you have that part of the photo, or anyone, if its handy. Ive got the series somewhere but not sure where.

Ive now noticed what I believe is another area with effium/poolium ejection, and the bottom northeast corner black mass in the above pic you posted would tie into it if it turns out to be effium. I like to call it effium, or F'ium, which is short for Fukushimium, or melted Fukushima, since we now know it didn't come from the pool.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

The original photo was a clear close up & Zorgon may have been the original poster, as we were all trying to come up with a name for it. It looked like a huge mass of Black Tar. I will have to look & see if
I have it...I'm sure Zorgon might have it as he has an extensive library beyond belief in my opinion. I do know that the "Major" photo disappeared along with other things in our thread as time passes.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Concerning Jaczko's press conference today, all I can say is that it was a classic Richard Nixon performance. You know, where at the end of them explaining things, you're more confused than ever and just want to go home and punch a wall out.

Some of todays more interesting quotes;

He used the term "cold shutdown state". A cold shutdown state is simply the condition of maintaining a cold shutdown. However, as of Fukushima, this can now mean different things. Up until now it meant that the core had been cooled to a constant state. At Fukushima, it only means that the reactors themselves, and any fuel still in them, have achieved cold shutdown. Neither Jaczko or anyone else ever mentions the corium itself being cooled. That's how they are dealing with this. Word games. Where the core actually is is insignificant.

"The temperatures have decreased significantly, the amount of heat that's being produced from the reactor fuel itself is very, very low now," Jaczko said Tuesday in Tokyo. "So it simply doesn't have the kind of energy, if you will, that's needed to have any kind of off-site releases of radiation.

An absolutely honest statement. Any fuel in the reactor is probably not producing much energy. Only there's no fuel in the reactors. And this is how the heads of the Japanese government have put it:

Goshi Hosono, the minister in charge of responding to the disaster, said the day before.....“We understand that there is a difference between the cold shutdown state for a normal nuclear reactor and the state of cold shutdown that we have achieved at Fukushima Dai-Ichi,”

"The nuclear reactors have reached a state of cold shutdown and therefore we can now confirm that we have come to the end of the accident phase of the actual reactors," Prime Minister Noda told a news conference.

"actual reactors". Not the fuel, not containment, just the "actual reactors".

And then this quote is another heads scratcher;

"Because of the [Fukushima] accident, our relationship has gotten stronger". He also said "The international communities are very interested in how the accident information will be shared", indicating the importance of international information sharing of the accident.

This is nothing short of a plee for Tepco to turn over data so the rest of the world can avoid similar accidents. This also implies that Jaczko and the NRC are still in the dark like everyone else as to what really happened. So all of the other stuff he says is just passing along propaganda, he doesn't really know anything either.
edit on 21-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ektar
reply to post by zworld

The original photo was a clear close up & Zorgon may have been the original poster, as we were all trying to come up with a name for it. It looked like a huge mass of Black Tar. I will have to look & see if
I have it.

That's OK Ektar. I found the folder theyre in. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Cesium Absorption Towers..."Temporary" Storage...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

More at Ex-Skf:
ex-skf.blogspot.com...

- Purple Chive

top topics

<< 1159  1160  1161    1163  1164  1165 >>

join