It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1160.htm
<< 1157  1158  1159    1161  1162  1163 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Sometimes we are so much on the same wave length, its spooky. Your first pic of the dark round opening in front of the cap was gonna be my next. My guess would be the reactor top, unless it might be farther north? There are 2 more blown panels north of the opening they don't show us, or look in on.

I never understood why this fly-over film had the west side footage clipped out. We have a good idea why the north wall film was cut. I completely forgot about the huge N wall buckle, Z.
Your right about the way the panels blew and just dropped. Could this explosion have inhaled immediately after blowing also?
Smoke/heat from deep below or shadow?

A view of #3 and #4 from a slightly different angle.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Published Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:05 AM
Texas A&M leads nuclear project
By VIMAL PATEL

www.theeagle.com/local/A-amp-amp-M-leads-nuclear-project--6848345

Ironically, it was the 1979 Three Mile Island meltdown that lured Sean McDeavitt to nuclear energy. At age 14, that same year, The China Syndrome, in which Jane Fonda plays a reporter uncovering a nuclear accident, further fueled his interest.

"I was fascinated with nuclear energy and had the desire to make it safer," said McDeavitt, a Texas A&M faculty member.

That's his goal with a three-year, $4.5 million federal grant awarded to Texas A&M recently, on which McDeavitt is the lead researcher. The multi-university grant, given by the U.S. Department of Energy, will study the aging of spent nuclear fuel.

"The project at Texas A&M supports the cutting-edge nuclear energy research that will advance our domestic nuclear industry and help us maintain global leadership in the field," U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu said in a statement.

(...)

Texas A&M's grant was part of nearly $18 million in awards to 23 university-led teams announced Sept. 21. It was the second largest, next to $7.5 million given to a Massachusetts Institute of Technology-led team that will test a new reactor design.

A&M's nuclear engineering department is among the top-ranked programs in the country and the largest with, in fall 2010, 27 faculty members, 331 undergraduate students and 131 graduate students.

McDeavitt said students' interest in nuclear engineering remains strong, despite high-profile accidents like the Fukushima nuclear plant radiation leak following an earthquake and tsunami in Japan nine months ago. It's a situation similar to McDeavitt's interest in Three Mile Island, he said.

"[Fukushima] did cause some students to come sit in our offices to say, 'I wonder if I should be a nuclear engineer now,'" McDeavitt said. "But it also caused some students to come and say, 'I want to be a nuclear engineer now.'"

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

And Z, you're math is correct. We also are all well aware that bottom of the RPV temp is a joke. TEPCO and the Gov't are acting like Tinker Bells sprinkling fairy dust...

- Purple Chive

Damn, if my math is right, why hasnt the media jumped on Tepcos case. I swear to god this whole thing is making less sense each day and not visa versa.

Good eye on the new leak that isnt a leak because NISA said there were never any leaks, which makes me think of Richard 'the lion farted' Nixon when he said with a medicated slur, "let me make myself perfectly clear". (yeah right, like that ever happened).

NISA, TEPCO, the IAEA. Sometimes its hard to tell them apart. Maybe we should just call the whole lot of them NITEPEA. Kinda like utopia, but the opposite. If youre good you go to utopia, if youre bad.....well, better just make sure youre good.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A projected model for the debris heading for the west coast.

The link
marinedebris.noaa.gov...
And a look at it.

My guess would be that this debris has been re-coated with fallout a few times on it's way to our western shore.
And then theirs the toxic soup of chemicals that spilled into the sea....

And an article on companies leaving the area.
ajw.asahi.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
reply to post by zworld

Sometimes we are so much on the same wave length, its spooky. Your first pic of the dark round opening in front of the cap was gonna be my next.

Excellent, usually its the other way around with you posting something that I was in the process of scratching my head about.

My guess would be the reactor top, unless it might be farther north?

Thats where MsMilky said it would be, but that is definitely a hole with steam coming out the left side. another head scratcher. Amazing we arent all bald with all the head scratching going on

There are 2 more blown panels north of the opening they don't show us, or look in on.

Yeah, that avoidance is in all the vids Ive seen so far. That and the fact that the poolium was the first thing they removed from R4 is a pretty obvious clue that thats an important area. The reason I once mentioned keeping track of what was removed and in what order, in a criminal investigation, when studying an ongoing crime scene that hasnt been labeled as such, and the criminals at work trying to clean things up, what they take care of first is the most incriminating. And seeing Tepco clean up the poolium first before doing other more important stuff is why I went into analyzing the poolium as priority one. Thanks Tepco, I couldnt have done it without youre help

Could this explosion have inhaled immediately after blowing also?

I dont think so. In order to have an inhalation like R3 you have to have a lack of oxygen source area, which for R3 was the UCs nuclear component of the blast. This ate every ounce of oxygen in the UC, causing it to suck back in.

But R4 is different. I think this might be a possible scenario. When R3 blew, the fresh effium that expulsed from the north side was only a small fraction of what melted underground, and the rest fell in on itself plugging the UC up until R4 blew. This plug, when it ejected from the pressure and heat that was building in the UC from ongoing fission after the nuke blast, shook the ground (which was reported by one of the Fuku 50 before this report disappeared). But this wasn't an explosion, only an expulsion. This shaking and plug expulsion opened up R4, cracking holes in walls etc. Then the fireball which followed the plug ignited hydrogen and other gases in R4 that had been leaking in from the ongoing criticality below, but this blast was muted as there was already pressure released from the cracks and holes the shaking produced, giving the hydrogen blast avenues of escape as well. That would explain the randomness of the R4 damage. At least partly. The missing roof beams originally attached to the north wall is still a bit of a mystery.

This all happened in nanoseconds, which Im finding more and more is eternity in the world of nuclear.

Now, to understand the north wall falling back in on itself, I had to picture someone at a fair trying to ring the bell at the top of the pole with slamming the wooden mallet down. The metal ball thing that goes up (dont know the names of any of this, but the picture of it is important) at first shoots up fast and hard, but quickly looses steam and falls back down without hitting the bell. I think something similar is what happened at R4. Since this was basically an expulsion followed by a muted explosion, the energy to ring the bell wasnt there.

Smoke/heat from deep below or shadow?

Its got to be steam/smoke. Ive looked at it a number of times, and thats all that works for me. Remember at one point they said that they were injecting water into R4s reactor. This didnt make sense at the time, but now I think, since the reactor was in maintenance, it was opened up, and the blast blew open the connections between the reactor and the UC, accounting for the steam emmissions from this area, if this is the reactor well, which I dont think it is so maybe its back to the drawing board. Mysteries, mysteries, mysteries everywhere, and not a clue to think.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled

My guess would be that this debris has been re-coated with fallout a few times on it's way to our western shore.
And then theirs the toxic soup of chemicals that spilled into the sea....

Wow, thats an ugly site. And I agree. Anytime there was a plume that blew out over the Pacific, and there was rain associated with it, it had to land on this stuff. Coming to a beach near me anyday now.

Thank god the EPA is staying on top of this.
just kiding of course

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Merry Ho Ho from Tepco! The Big Plan is out. 2041! So I'll be dead before fuk is

www.yomiuri.co.jp...

Also, a great Rachel Maddow video on Hanford and whistle blowers.
video.app.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I just watched the spy video that was released recently and posted here a few pages back, and I can't help but think it's staged. And not just so he can sell his book, if thats what its about, but staged by Tepco for putting out misleading data. Has anyone else felt that. There is nothing telling whatsoever in anything he shot. He knows how to make the camera focus and point when he wants to, then when he's at the plant near R4 and the backside of the southend, he shoots in the air, or it goes out of focus. Or twice just as the camera was moving to capture something important it faded to somewhere else.

Not buying this one. This is a scam one way or the other.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Yes, Z I am sure they will use every trick in their book and some tricks in other people's books too. People love 'secrets' and anything which is not generally known is a big draw. Thats why all these sales headlines often have HIDDEN, SECRET, in their titles. Also, people probably readily believe something that they think is not released or approved of by the authorities/baddie. It is all manipulation of the situation, damage limitation and propaganda. ba5tards.

============================
Steve Scauzillo: Oil pipeline beats more nuclear power plants 17Dec11

On Friday, Japan said it would try to shut the plant down. But experts say containing the radiation and just stopping the plant from doing more damage will take 30 years. Imagine the world living with the threat of nuclear fallout from Fukushima until 2041. Think of the cloud hanging over our children's future.

Unless the government of Japan can achieve such a "cold shutdown" the 80,000 residents who are still evacuated will never be able to return, Reuters reported Friday.

Let's look at the costs for just containing a nuclear power plant - just one plant - that became compromised. In Japan, Tepco may have to pay about $57 billion in compensation for the next two years. That's an astronomical amount. Throw in the $13 billion that the government of Japan says it will contribute and you have a $70 billion price tag.

And then there is the problem of what to do with all that nuclear waste. Nuclear power plants produce spent rods that have to be buried or destroyed. Not an easy task.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Some readings from LA.

I'm guessing what he means is that if we had triple background steady it would be cause for alarm?

I am now talking with folks and trying to learn exactly what the numbers mean in everyday laymen's terms so I don't mislead anyone, when they ask. We have a huge gap in between "moderately high" and "run like hell, high", and I have to learn some accurate, easy to understand comparisons that convey the situation to others.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Konban Wa Mina/ Minna-San

On the Tepco Channel:
www.tepco.co.jp...
we get the current View of the Plant on the 14-15th of December!
The Title is "2011/12/17 Current View of Fukushima Daiichi"

We can see also Reactor Nr.4 and the Dismantling!

Radiation in front of my House, 10cm above the Ground for 4min
is exactly 0.10uSv/h!

edit on 19-12-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
At 17:51 on the 19th Japan time.

You know what... I cannot see the blurry bit half-way down the screen at night time. You would have thought that it would appear worse wouldn't you, but I think they maybe adding it to the daylight version after the images are taken.

large screen version

What I CAN SEE tonight in Japan, are firework-like occasional spots of colour reds, blues, whites etc appearing over the reactors 1 & 2 and I have only been watching for a couple of minutes. I dont think these are necessarily actually above the reactors but maybe just stray particles hitting the camera.

So yes, we have seen these before and it is still happening - in spite of their "cold shutdown".

onedit: I think there may be a problem at the base of the 2/3 tower. There are irregular red/orange lights which do not look like they are caused by grass blowing in front of lights. These are red at the base of the 2/3 tower and also red near #3, in line with tower4 where they have a floodlight. I'll post a pic in a minute or two.

These may not be anything significant. My (drama)queen may be on the loose again!

edit on 19 Dec 2011 by qmantoo because: red lights brightening and dimming

edit on 19 Dec 2011 by qmantoo because: add images

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
This is a good sign. The people living nearest the catastrophe aren't going to let the corporate run government of Japan get away with their dog and pony show called cold shutdown and roadmap completed. These are some signs from yesterdays demonstration. From EX-SKF.

Protesters arrived in great numbers to the square in Shinbashi where Prime Minister Noda is set to give a speech.

Signs read:

"Cold shutdown is a lie"
"Noda is a liar"
"Protect children"
"Which nuke plant's accident is over? You liar"
"Cold shutdown? Accident Over? Who are you to decide?"
"Democratic Party of Japan's policy sucks"

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Tepco released the rad numbers for the most recent leak which is now estimated at over 200 tons ("and what do you get, another day older and deeper in debt"......he hums to himself on the way to work).

9,6000,000 becquerels/liter total cesium.

Tepco says its groundwater. Well, if its groundwater then the levels of contamination are now astronomical, and the situation is more dangerous than before.

Tepco gives all of this data the same as always, matter-of-factly with a smile. That polite Tepco smile. That insidious serpent like smile. A smile that says "I am speaking on behalf of forces far greater than you so take this information and shut-up."

And the Japanese media, and even a couple of big international medias, are beginning to question things. Its sad that it took so long, but good that it is happening now.

In the press conference, TEPCO repeated it didn't exactly know where the water had come from or when (anytime between April and December 18), though they said it must be either groundwater or dew condensation water. So the press had to speculate or use their own judgment to write up their articles.

Yomiuri took the safe (TEPCO's) line saying the water is groundwater. (Never mind that the groundwater in the trench is so "hot", where as nearby subdrain water is not.)

Asahi and Jiji Tsushin took the daring line saying the water is from the nearby building that stores the highly contaminated, pre-treated water.

Kyodo News took the best of both worlds as it said the trench water must have come from the highly contaminated, pre-treated water stored in the nearby building, and it got diluted by the water dripping from the electrical duct which does seem like groundwater judging from the cesium density.

TEPCO does say the trench does not connect to the ocean, but all that means may be that the trench does not directly connect to the ocean. As far as I know, no one has come up with the detailed drawing of the plant's network of drains and trenches and how they are connected.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well, they seem to have found 150 Ft tunnel with 9 ft of water in it.
www3.nhk.or.jp...

More leaking water.
ajw.asahi.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

'Absolutely no progress being made' at Fukushima nuke plant, undercover reporter says

Conditions at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant are far worse than its operator or the government has admitted, according to freelance journalist Tomohiko Suzuki, who spent more than a month working undercover at the power station.

"Absolutely no progress is being made" towards the final resolution of the crisis, Suzuki told reporters at a Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan news conference on Dec. 15. Suzuki, 55, worked for a Toshiba Corp. subsidiary as a general laborer there from July 13 to Aug. 22, documenting sloppy repair work, companies including plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) playing fast and loose with their workers' radiation doses, and a marked concern for appearances over the safety of employees or the public.

A book by Tomohiko Suzuki detailing many of his experiences at the plant and connections between yakuza crime syndicates and the nuclear industry, titled "Yakuza to genpatsu" (the yakuza and nuclear power), was published by Bungei Shunju on Dec. 15.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Radioactive Contamination Makes 45 Pct of Japan Wives Choosy

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011121900169

Tokyo, Dec. 19 (Jiji Press)--A recent survey has found that 45 pct of wives in the Tokyo area have products they hesitate to buy due to concerns about radioactive contamination after the crisis at the Fukushima No.1 nuclear power plant. Some 20 pct of respondents said they definitely have such products, and 25 pct answered they perhaps have such products, according to the survey by Marketing Research Service Inc.

For the survey, the company sent questionnaires in July and August to married women aged 20-69 of households with at least a wife and a husband in Tokyo and three neighboring prefectures of Kanagawa, Chiba and Saitama, of whom 250 gave answers.

In multiple-answer questions, 56 pct of those who care about radioactive contamination of products said they hesitate to buy leafy vegetables, followed by 48 pct who cited beef, chicken and pork.

At the same time, 38 pct of respondents answered that they often or sometimes buy foodstuffs in campaigns for products from regions affected by the nuclear crisis, according to the survey.

Some 33 pct said they certainly or probably buy products even from regions likely to suffer radioactive contamination if they are sold in stores.

(2011/12/19-11:44)

Copyright 2011 Jiji Press LTD

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Cold Shutdown Not Safety Declaration: Japan N-Safety Chief

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011121900767

Tokyo, Dec. 19 (Jiji Press)--Japan's nuclear safety chief denied the view Monday that restoring stability of nuclear reactors at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima No. 1 power plant assures the safety of the crippled plant in northeastern Japan.

It should be made clear that the government's declaration of achieving the stable state called cold shutdown of the reactors there is different from a declaration that the plant is safe, Haruki Madarame, chairman of the Nuclear Safety Commission, told a press conference.

On Friday, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda stated that the reactors, heavily damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, have been brought to the stable conditions and that the plant's accident has come to an end.

But Madarame pointed out that since the existing circular water cooling system for the reactors is a hurriedly made tentative facility, it could inevitably cause various troubles.

Also because locations of melted nuclear fuel are still unknown, chances cannot be ruled out that something unpredictable will happen at the plant, he warned.

But at the same time, Madarame said that he shares the government's view that it is now highly unlikely that people in areas close to the plant will be forced to make another emergency evacuation.

(2011/12/19-19:31)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
EXCLUSIVE: March Disaster-Linked Deaths, at 960, Top 1995 Quake

Tokyo, Dec. 17 (Jiji Press)--The number of people who died for reasons indirectly linked to the March 11 earthquake and tsunami has reached 960 in four prefectures, topping 922 following the 1995 earthquake in western Japan, a Jiji Press survey revealed Saturday.

The figure represents people who were recognized as having died after their health conditions deteriorated because of a harsh living environment in shelters and other indirect reasons. It also includes deaths related to the nuclear accident at the Fukushima No. 1 power station, which was knocked out by the disaster.

As of Friday, the prefectural governments of Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima and Ibaraki had received a total of 1,677 applications seeking recognition of disaster-tied deaths.

Of them, 960 had been approved and 54 rejected, while the remaining 663 were either under review or awaiting the screening process.

The number of such recognition is most likely to exceed 1,000 by the end of the year as several municipalities plan to approve a few dozen cases soon, with applications continuing to flow in.

The survey covers all municipalities in the three hardest-hit northeastern prefectures of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima, and also includes the prefectural governments of Aomori, northern Japan, and Ibaraki and Chiba, both eastern Japan.

In Iwate, 170 applications had been filed, of which 69 had been granted, while in Miyagi, 434 of 746 claims had been approved.

A total of 448 among 735 applications in Fukushima and nine among 26 in Ibaraki had been approved. No disaster-linked deaths had been confirmed in Aomori and Chiba.

Among the total of 960 deaths, the survey found out ages and gender for 128 people.

The number of people aged 70 or over stood at 96, accounting for 75 pct.

Those in their 80s constituted the largest group with 51 people, followed by 23 people in their 90s, 19 in their 70s, and 16 in their 60s.

There were three centenarians, while the number was between one to five for each age bracket of the 10s to the 50s.

Many recognized disaster-related deaths stemmed from similar causes, such as victims catching pneumonia in shelters or having difficulty warming themselves after being soaked by tsunami.

But there are some noteworthy decisions. The town of Miharu, Fukushima Prefecture, approved an application for a woman who died of gastrointestinal bleeding based on her doctor's certificate that cited stress from the temblor and the radiation accident as the cause of death.

The Miyagi city of Osaki approved an application for a man who killed himself after losing his job due to the catastrophe.

The 1995 Great Hanshin Earthquake killed a total of 6,434 people in the three western prefectures of Kyoto, Osaka and Hyogo, of which 922 were recognized as disaster-related deaths.

According to the National Police Agency, the number of deaths attributed directly to the March 11 disaster totaled 15,842 as of Friday.

Condolence money of up to 5 million yen each is to be paid to both direct and indirect deaths.

(2011/12/17-20:17)

top topics

<< 1157  1158  1159    1161  1162  1163 >>

join