It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1159.htm
<< 1156  1157  1158    1160  1161  1162 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo

Reply to Vox2442

Some people will still claim it's melting, despite all evidence to the contrary, because they don't like the source of the data. There's no convincing some people.
No, you are correct, there isn't.

How do you account for the continuing release of radioactive elements such as I131 ? Ones with short half-lifes must come from something core-like and they cannot appear out of thin air.

Do you know that every Hospital is releasing ongoing Iodine-131?

I posted this extra on this strange Enenews Page but not many People listen

en.wikipedia.org...

and;
Radioactivity in municipal sewage and sludge.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

and
Radioactive Wastes From Medical Facilities: Where Do They Go??
www.mhhe.com...

There is much more, you just need to look for it!

Iodine, Strontium, etc. is an Indicator but not the ultimate Truth/ Fingerprint of F`Shima,
we need to be more critical, at least in my humble Opinion !

No One here believe that we are in a Cold Shut Down
but some People here, incl. me, believe that the situation is much, much better now!

It is really disgusting to see all the hate and disinformation in the so called alternative Media,
i think the People now lost a lot of the human behavior!

I was for a few days on Glp and it is horrible, the People there are so damned jealousy
for everything and everyone!

What the People do not understand is that it is not enough to say; "I don`t like this",
this days are gone, when i want something do not happen i need to show true Resistance!

Hachhhhhh, disgusting World!
(no, not really, something will change now)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo

Reply to Vox2442

Some people will still claim it's melting, despite all evidence to the contrary, because they don't like the source of the data. There's no convincing some people.
No, you are correct, there isn't.

How do you account for the continuing release of radioactive elements such as I131 ? Ones with short half-lifes must come from something core-like and they cannot appear out of thin air.

Do you know that every Hospital is releasing ongoing Iodine-131?

I posted this extra on this strange Enenews Page but not many People listen

en.wikipedia.org...

and;
Radioactivity in municipal sewage and sludge.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

and
Radioactive Wastes From Medical Facilities: Where Do They Go??
www.mhhe.com...

There is much more, you just need to look for it!

Iodine, Strontium, etc. is an Indicator but not the ultimate Truth/ Fingerprint of F`Shima,
we need to be more critical, at least in my humble Opinion !

but some People here, incl. me, believe that the situation is much, much better now!

It is really disgusting to see all the hate and disinformation in the so called alternative Media,
i think the People now lost a lot of the human behavior!

I was for a few days on Glp and it is horrible, the People there are so damned jealousy
for everything and everyone!

What the People do not understand is that it is not enough to say; "I don`t like this",
this days are gone, when i want something do not happen i need to show true Resistance!

Hachhhhhh, disgusting World!
(no, not really, something will change now)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
AP - Workers at tsunami-struck Japan nuclear plant hit by common stomach flu outbreak
Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:37 AM

www.globalnews.ca/workers+at+tsunamistruck+japan+nuclear+plant+hit+by+common+stomach+flu+outbreak/6442544228/story.html

TOKYO - Dozens of workers at Japan's tsunami-hit nuclear power plant have come down with symptoms of stomach flu, halting a radioactive waste cleanup operation.

The operator of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant said Saturday that a norovirus outbreak is suspected. Fifty-two workers assigned to the effort have been treated at a hospital over the past three days. Three of the workers have tested positive for the virus, a common form of flu.

(...)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If no one minds, Im finding some jewels from the early days of the monster thread, and occasionally Ill post some. The following made me smile. Its from SkunkSense and posted 13 hours after the EQ on 3.11.11. but really, this could have been, and similar posts were, posted from day one right up to today. So let me say the same, "Very happy to be a part of the ATS community!"

I watched the news tonight after work, and it's not near the info I am receiving on here. Thank goodness for collaboration on this site.

Lots of hard workers here...finding out what we need to know. We can't trust our normal media to inform, never have, or at least I haven't.

It takes lots of digging and that is evident here.

Thank you to all the folks who are willing to spend their time to inform us. Bless you!

Very happy to be a part of the ATS community!

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Cold Shutdown Fuku Definition

cold shutdown for the Fukushima plant as a situation in which the temperature at the bottom of the reactor pressure containers is less than 100 degrees Celsius, and the radiation levels at the edge of the plant premises are below one millisievert per year.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

December 17 Radiation Dose at Daiichi:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Radioactive Fallout Around the plant:
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

PC, am I doing the math wrong here. Depending on which monitoring point they use, they are either way way over 1 mSv/yr or only 35 times as much. Unless Im doing something wrong.

The main gate currently is averaging 28 uSv/hr. 28 x 24 x 365 = 245,280 microsieverts, or 245.3 millisieverts per year

MP7 is averaging 88 x 24 x 365 =770,880 microsieverts, or 770.9 millisieverts per year

The lowest measurement by far with a reading of 4 uSv/hr is from MP1. You know, the plant monitoring point closest to the north discharge for R5/R6, where the highest seawater and ocean soil readings are continously found. MP1 is the only on land monitoring station which has consistently been in single digits. That pretty much kills the theory that the high readings at the north discharge are caused by atmospheric deposition.

anyway MP1 is 4 x 24 x 365 = 35040 uSv/yr, or 35 mSv/yr

The highest reading not including the Valley of Death is at the admin building

285 x 24 x 365 = 2496600 uSv/yr, or 2.497 Sv/yr

I must be doing something wrong, yes. Im not good at math. To free spirited to be confined like that. So pleasde correct me and show me how to do this.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

I wish I could share your enthusiasm Human, but I can't. Too me politically and socially speaking this is the worst case scenario, and no different than the BP oil spill. Today BPs commercials boast of their performance in the Gulf, showing hard working caring people doing there best to make our lives better. The truth is the exact opposite. BP continues to pollute worldwide, pressure governments not to set logical regulatory standards while doing their best to keep from paying that which they said would be forthcoming.

Tepco will do the same. And all the while the dangers of Fukushima will continue unmonitored (unless you trust Tepco to be honest), and the gulf oil spill continues unmonitored (unless you trust BP to be honest.

Public relations wins the day. Image is everything. And Tepco is being lauded on US TV as having done an exemplory job, when in reality they should be facing enough charges to put the top brass away forever.

Same as BP.

ON EDIT: and remember. Friends dont let friends post at GLP. Its bad for the psyche. This place is much better. MUCH better.
edit on 17-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Z, from that 3/28 film you found. A zoom on the SY building. Sure looks like it blew outward.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
Z, from that 3/28 film you found. A zoom on the SY building. Sure looks like it blew outward.

Wow. Good one AC. Amazing what blowing something up can do. Look at the burn marks lower right of the upper wall. I think that confirms something but i have to go back over some notes.

But definately, from every angle Ive seen, that wall blew out, not in.

ON EDIT: No pun intended on the "blowing something up" remark.
edit on 17-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
where are they talking about here. Is my math this bad, or have they come up with a fantasy location. You know, like the southwest coast of Honsho. If my math is that far off Im going back to get a middle school diploma, or whatever they give the little runts at that stage.

www.bloomberg.com...

Last month, it assessed the radiation exposure at the plant’s boundaries at 0.1 millisievert a year, below its target of 1 millisievert a year.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Every second I get more and more confused. either journalists need to learn to properly write an article (you know, like when done it actually makes sense) or Im just not getting it these days.

The following two paragraphs appear in the same article
latimesblogs.latimes.com... .html and I really have to ask "what the fug are they talking about"

Tokyo’s support of the claim by the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., that the reactors have reached a crucial point is one more step toward finally encasing the plant in concrete as a precaution.

and then

Facility operators conceded that engineers will not be able to remove spent fuel from the three worst-hit reactors for 10 years, but say they may begin removing fuel from storage pools within the next two years.

They intend to entomb the plant AFTER removing the fuel in __ years (fill in the blank). Why? By the time they finally get to the corium masses wherever they all are, everything radioactive above ground will be gone or buried. Why entomb then. What are they entombing as a precaution for what?. Giant dayglow earthworms that devour children.

Or is this another Freudian slip, entombing the UC without mentioning the UC. Just like the other Freudian slip, Tepco waiting for someone to give them the facts so they can confirm them.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I went back to the India news film again to try and confirm that the mushroom cloud, was indeed #4 blowing. [Explosion #2] Again, this rarely seen cam is up the hill between #5 and #1. I marked building #2. The circle is important only because it shows the distance from #2.

So am I jumping to far when I suggest that this....

.....= this?

Now we talked about how this was mid-day so it couldn't have been the first explosion and that this was a vertical blast, and the first explosion was lateral. If the first explosion at dawn on 3/15 was lateral than surely it blew east/west with more force eastward out to sea, gutting the east wall completely. The east wall is open from the top to the second floor, right? The only thing wrong with this theory is why didn't the west wall of the #4 turbine building suffer more damage?
Below the 5th floor, the north and south walls have a single hole in each. I think the 4th floor hole in the south wall was done by this, our 2nd explosion.The damage to the north end of the 5th floor [Blown out center wall with re-bar pointing east, north end roof supports] also looks like it was done by this second, mid-day explosion.
The west wall is open down to the 4th floor across the side except at the ends, where the 3rd floor holes are.[Shafts]. These 3rd floors holes in the shafts on the west wall tell me an explosion came up the shafts. These holes convinced me of the possibility of the UC and sent me looking for damage to the interior shaft walls. Now we know that the elevator shaft in the south-west corner is blown out inside down to the 3rd floor as well as outside. The freight shaft [blue paint] and how it fits in, is still a mystery, but there is a connection because this #2 explosion is right next to it.
The only place they lost the roof was south end over the pool [explosion #3] south wall and up.
Remember in late June when we saw the double plume venting from #4, we wondered why the plumes were east/west instead of north/south?
I'm just thinking out loud here. What do you think?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
More strange lights at #1. The fun starts halfway at 4:30 am. Number 3 looks extra blurry.

I think the blinding white light blocks out more of these flashes than the new anti-evidence lense.

And the link.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Nice vid from April.

I think the above is from April 19th, or uploaded that day. I hadn't seen this one before. Interesting stuff.

AC, in this picture of the containment cap, looking in from the east wall, the circular thing to the left in front of the yellow cap, this I thought was the area where the reactor cap should be. But it looks like a well. Either way, there is definitely steam coming from it when you watch the vid.

AC, anyone, does anyone know what the circular thing is

Also, in the pic below, botttom right corner, is that smoke or fire damage. Just below it is something that looks a bit like effium, so just checking

ON EDIT: Forgot to add that they never show the floors behind the north wall section except the little bit seen to the right of the yellow cap in the first picture above. It appears to be deliberate, as the camera approaches that furthest section a couple of times in the video and always stops abruptly
edit on 18-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
why didn't the west wall of the #4 turbine building suffer more damage?

The theory is worth exploring. Ever since hearing about the fire times being changed and wierd explanations thrown out Ive thought there might have been more to the story, like explosions preceeding the fires.

The white cloud in the picture to me reminds me of a kettle boiling away and thats the part that whistles. Seems like a steam cloud, yes. But its really hard to say from the picture.

Concerning the east wall blowing out, but little damage to the TB is because the R4 explosion wasn't a typical explosion as I believe it was both a pressure, heat and high rad expulsion from the UC which also ignited hydrogen and maybe other gases in R4 when it exited, but it didn't blow from any particular direction with specified force.

In the video I posted above from April 19 it shows the east wall damage (which is really interesting I might add), and how the bits and pieces that were ejected didnt make it more than a couple of feet out. Kinda just plopped down on the spot.

For me Ive been looking at the vids from March and April and trying to understand the wall panels that were blown free from the pillars but stayed attached to the rebar. It was a weird expulsion. It sent different pulses out different directions.

Below the 5th floor, the north and south walls have a single hole in each.......

The only place they lost the roof was south end over the pool [explosion #3] south wall and up.

Actually, the north wall expands out and becomes the support building below the 3rd floor, and there is alot of damage to it, showing damage similar to the RB. And the section of roof connected to the north wall was also ejected.

But none of that discounts the possibility of an explosion later in the day. Im going to go back over the india vid. Im also interested in the whitish shaft to the left of the red circle.

The R4 blast or blasts is without a doubt one of the biggest head scratchers Ive ever dealt with. In the end it could probably be its own book, if all our theories are correct.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
AC, this might give a better idea of what I was referring to above

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
N-plant procedure ignored? / Workers 'didn't check' reactor pressure day before explosion

www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T111216005550.htm

A government panel has found that workers at the No. 3 reactor of the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant stopped operation of a high-pressure core cooling system without checking if a substitute pumping system would work on March 13, one day before a hydrogen explosion occurred there, sources said.

By failing to check if the reactor's fire pump could inject water instead of the emergency cooling device, the workers may have failed to follow instructions in the plant's operating manual, according to the panel established to investigate and verify the facts of the nuclear crisis.

(...)

(Dec. 17, 2011)

Govt speeds rezoning of contaminated areas

Yoshihiro Kiyonaga and Koichi Yasuda / Yomiuri Shimbun Staff Writers

www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T111217003401.htm

(...)

About the announcement of the cold shutdown of the reactors Friday, a source said the government initially considered making the declaration "by the end of November."

The government apparently felt it was desirable to make the declaration as soon as possible to expedite work to have residents return to their hometowns.

The date of the declaration was put off after radioactive xenon was detected in November. Officials suspected a resumption of a chain reaction known as criticality had occurred in the No. 2 reactor.

At present, a 20-kilometer radius from the nuclear plant is designated as a no-entry zone, and places surrounding this zone where radiation levels are feared to reach 20 millisieverts a year are designated as expanded evacuation zones.

The government will rezone the areas on the basis of the estimated annual levels of radiation exposure. They will be:

-- Zones that will be off-limits for extended periods. Radiation levels in these areas will be 50 millisieverts a year or higher and are likely to take five years or longer to decontaminate sufficiently for residents to return.

-- Restricted zones in which radiation levels are at least 20 millisieverts but under 50 millisieverts. Residents may be able to return to these areas in a few years.

-- Zones being prepared for residents' return, where radiation levels are under 20 millisieverts. Residents will be able to return once living environments are restored.

(...)

(Dec. 18, 2011)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Another "Leak" or Groundwater Coming In?

At 10:00 am on December 18, during the patrol activity, a TEPCO employee found an accumulated water in the trench located between the process main building of Centralized Radiation Waste Treatment Facility and Miscellaneous Solid Waste Volume Reduction Treatment Building (High Temperature Incinerator Building). The depth of the water was estimated to be 50 cm and the amount was to be 125 m3. The radiation dose at the water surface was 3 mSv/h (provisional value). As no radioactive materials have been detected during the last sampling survey of sub drain water near the trench, the source of the accumulated water is estimated to be the ground water or dew condensation water. We will continue our investigation of the water source and sampling survey of the water in the trench.

www.tepco.co.jp...

More info Ex-Skf:
ex-skf.blogspot.com...

And Z, you're math is correct. We also are all well aware that bottom of the RPV temp is a joke. TEPCO and the Gov't are acting like Tinker Bells sprinkling fairy dust...

- Purple Chive
edit on 18-12-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Only 10 Pct of Fukushima Rice Checked for Radiation

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011121600416

Fukushima, Dec. 16 (Jiji Press)--Fukushima Prefecture has completed emergency radiation checks on only 10 pct of rice harvested this year in its municipalities where excessive levels of radioactive cesium were found in advance.

Friday marks one month since the Fukushima government announced it had detected cesium above the government-set limit of 500 becquerels per kilogram in rice produced in the northeastern prefecture, which hosts Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s tsunami-crippled nuclear power plant at the center of Japan's worst radiation crisis.

After the announcement, the prefecture launched on Nov. 22 the emergency radiation checks on rice from about 25,100 farms, or 40 pct of the total rice growers in the prefecture.

As of Wednesday, it finished checking rice from about 2,400 farms, with crops from 24 farms in the cities of Fukushima, Date and Nihonmatsu showing readings above the safety limit, Fukushima officials said.

The prefecture initially planned to check all amounts of rice harvested in the Onami district of Fukushima, where above-limit rice was first found, and at least one 30-kilogram bag of rice at some 4,300 farms in parts of a total of six cities with radiation hot spots.

But a series of detection of excessively tainted rice between August and October led the prefecture to expand the emergency program to cover a total of 29 municipalities.

To carry out such large-scale checks, the prefecture has cut the time consumed to analyze each sample to 10 minutes from 33 minutes and adopted a preliminary detection method.

Even so, only 300 rice samples can be checked each day, as the prefecture also needs to test vegetables and meats for radiation, the officials said.

The analyses continue not only on weekdays but on weekends, helped by a private analysis institute in Tokyo. But even checks on originally targeted rice from the Onami district and the six cities cannot be completed until next week, the officials added.

Efforts to find out the cause of Fukushima rice's radioactive contamination have made little progress, too.

Returning from field trips, Fukushima University Prof. Kenji Nanba has said contaminated rice was commonly found in small paddies surrounded by mountains.

However, there were highly cesium-tainted paddies where rice's readings were not high, Namba said, stressing detailed study of soil is required.

(2011/12/16-15:47)

Copyright 2011 Jiji Press LTD

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Govt to Study Purchasing Land near Crippled N-Plant: Noda

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011121600969

Tokyo, Dec. 16 (Jiji Press)--Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda reiterated Friday that the government will consider buying land near the disaster-crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, in an effort to support those who have been forced to evacuate from the areas.

The national government will consult with local governments concerned about buying or leasing land from owners who are unable to return to their homes in the areas for a long period due to contamination with radioactive substances from the Tokyo Electric Power Co. plant, Noda said at a news conference.

The conference was held after Noda earlier in the day declared that the Fukushima plant has now been stabilized some nine months after it was stricken by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami although leaks of radioactive substances from the plant have not stopped completely.

If there are any areas where residents cannot return for a considerably long period of time, the national government must take medium- to long-term measures, Noda said.

(2011/12/16-22:17)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
70 Pct of Japanese Fret about N-Reactor Safety: Jiji Poll

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011121700155

Tokyo, Dec. 17 (Jiji Press)--Nearly 70 pct of Japanese were still concerned about the safety of nuclear reactors in November, eight months after the country's worst nuclear crisis was touched off by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, a Jiji Press poll revealed Saturday.

The survey, conducted between Nov. 3 and Nov. 13, used a safety rating scale of zero to 10.

In the poll, 68.7 pct gave ratings of zero to 4, meaning that they believe nuclear reactors are not safe. The figure fell slightly from 70.3 pct in the previous survey in September.

Those who considered nuclear reactors completely unsafe and evaluated safety level at zero accounted for the largest proportion at 23.0 pct, followed by 20.9 pct who viewed them as neither safe nor unsafe, with a rating of 5.

The survey also showed that 26.6 pct, or the largest portion of respondents, are undecided over whether nuclear reactors should be scrapped or promoted.

But 62.8 pct basically favored abolition, with ratings of zero to 4.

The interview-based survey covered 4,000 adults nationwide, with 1,246 giving valid responses.

(2011/12/17-13:33)

new topics

top topics

<< 1156  1157  1158    1160  1161  1162 >>

join