It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1155.htm
<< 1152  1153  1154    1156  1157  1158 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
From tsutsuji

www3.nhk.or.jp... While commenting that "the reactors are still in the the way towards stable condition, and the possibility of troubles is remaining", and that "[the effort] shall expand over a long duration, and the durability of the equipment must be inspected", the NSC (Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan) approved Tepco's mid term safety plan. The "cold shutdown" status is expected to be announced by the Japanese government on 16 December.

I am dumbfounded. If this occurs it will be the greatest slap in the face to the human race since Reagan first announced the trickle down theory.

The govts of the world are going to allow this to happen, the IAEA, the UN. What the fug happened to this world! I can't believe people will let them get away with this. Wow
I have a feeling its going to take an all out revolution to pry the fate of the world and every generation to follow from the greedy fuggin hands of the corporations who control the worlds industrialized gov'ts.

Or watch nuke plants, chemical factories, coal mines, deepwater wells and who knows what else proliferate endlessly, until the earth can breath no more.

Radical eco activists used to have a saying in the 70s that was a take off of the Serenity poem Human posted a couple weeks ago. It went like this;

Mother and Father of All Things, please grant me;

the courage to stop that which can be stopped

the stupidity to try and stop that which can't be stopped

and just enough cunning to keep from getting caught.

----------------------------------------------------
V for Vendetta

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hey guys...
In here are analysis data that reveal time it took early on to melt the cores and breach containment. You have to go there and scroll down to the minute by minute progression of core melt.
They present three scenarios based on early "fuzzy" reports.

Simply Info

Scroll down till you get to table labeled: "Accident Progression In Minutes"

Core uncovered---
Start core melt---
Corium slumps to bottom head---
RPV bottom head fails----
Corium starts boil off of water @ concrete containment floor---
Corium starts melting containment floor---
Containment failure and leakage starts---

For matadoor:
Drywell and Wetwell electric penetrations start to leak at T=204C – 400F
Drywell and Wetwell electric penetrations decompose and blow out of containment at T=260C – 500

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Residents might have been exposed to up to 19 millisieverts of radiation

FUKUSHIMA, Japan, Dec. 13, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/12/131239.html

Residents near the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant might have been exposed to up to 19 millisieverts of radiation during the four months after the powerful March 11 earthquake and tsunami crippled the plant, the Fukushima prefectural government said Tuesday.

The local government released its estimate of radiation for residents in 12 municipalities near the power plant -- Namie, Kawamata, Iitate, Futaba, Okuma, Minamisoma, Tamura, Tomioka, Naraha, Hirono, Katsurao and Kawauchi. The plant is located in the towns of Futaba and Okuma.

Residents who evacuated from high-risk areas in the village of Iitate in late June might have been exposed to the biggest amount of 19 millisieverts, it said.

The prefectural government, which has conducted health checks on all of its roughly 2 million residents, said it based its estimated dosages of radiation from the plant on the timing and places of evacuation.

According to the estimate, residents in a no-go zone in areas within a 20-kilometer radius from the crippled plant who evacuated in the early stages of the crisis were exposed to 0.8-2.3 millisieverts of radiation during the period.

Meanwhile, those in contamination hotspots outside the no-go zone, where the government had failed to promptly urge residents to evacuate, might have been exposed to 0.84-19 millisieverts of radiation.

The local government has already conducted health checks on about 29,000 residents in the towns of Namie and Kawamata and the village of Iitate, which were designated as evacuation zones.

Of these residents, 1,730 filed records of their movements during the four months.

One of them has been found to have been exposed to up to about 37 millisieverts of radiation. But the resident had worked at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant to contain the crisis.

The average dosage is estimated at just above 1 millisievert, the maximum limit of radiation exposure per year in normal times. The dosages do not include exposure to natural radiation.

Copyright 2011 Kyodo News

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Folks, this is a dismantling process. These are recent captures. The crane on R4 is lifting something in 1, moving it towards the port over the top of R4 in 2, and dropping it down what could be seaside quay, dont know how far those arms go.

1)

2)

3)

And the crane on R3 was active briefly but couldnt see what was what which brings up another point. Remember I said it would be important to note what was removed from R3 and in what order. Look at the blurred strip that moved from up top to mid section with the new lens. No more R3 removal view.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Z, you were wondering how much is missing off #4 south wall? I'd say this much. Looks like 4 sections and the hanging beam conecting beam.

Also I started looking through old footage to see if I could find anything on the north side of the #4 reactor cap. No luck. I got side-tracked rewatching the April 15 fly-over film. It's like looking at it for the first time because I know the layout a lot better now. My clear copy has been pulled from public but because I have it bookmarked, it still works. It sure does look like smoke coming out of the ground on the east side of 4. Even between the pipes. I invite you to re-watch it with what we know now, in mind.
www.youtube.com...
Q, I spent a little time in our thread film library. Wow. So many dead links.
Z, Call me goofy but I still think that concrete pour looks like a blast crater aimed at the admin building! I know. It's not possible. When could it have happened? I'm not saying it is. It's just that the shape jumps out at me. And the ground was cracked open in that corner of #1 back in May. Who digs a hole the shape of a row boat?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
Z, you were wondering how much is missing off #4 south wall? I'd say this much. Looks like 4 sections and the hanging beam conecting beam.

And a little shaved off the top too I think. Its almost impossible to say. But the activity today is centered on the southwest corner under the section with the #4 now gone. (If you missed it see post above with screen captures from a bit ago). I think whats up their sleeves is to dismantle enough to then tent the SFP, leaving any support structure connected to it. And erasing the north wall shaft and surrounding damage from the UC.

Also I started looking through old footage to see if I could find anything on the north side of the #4 reactor cap. No luck.

Same here, though Im still having a little trouble getting oriented. One of these days Ill go back and paste together in one long file (and multiple posts) all the pics you used to map the place out, with Tepco diagrams of each floor that they were nice enough to provide in the interim report, which Im still pissed they havent done an english version of cause theres alot of stuff in there that they havent shown before.

I got side-tracked rewatching the April 15 fly-over film. It's like looking at it for the first time because I know the layout a lot better now. My clear copy has been pulled from public but because I have it bookmarked, it still works. It sure does look like smoke coming out of the ground on the east side of 4. Even between the pipes. I invite you to re-watch it with what we know now, in mind.
good idea. Ive been doing the same and it is totally amazing to be looking at stuff now.

Q, I spent a little time in our thread film library. Wow. So many dead links.

Yeah, me too. Everywhere.

Z, Call me goofy

Are you kidding. Youre one of the few sane people around this place.

but I still think that concrete pour looks like a blast crater aimed at the admin building! I know. It's not possible. When could it have happened? I'm not saying it is. It's just that the shape jumps out at me. And the ground was cracked open in that corner of #1 back in May. Who digs a hole the shape of a row boat?

Yeah the shape has me puzzled too. I cant go as far as a bomb crater, only because Im pretty sure a worker would have lost their cool and tweeted something somewhere about it. But the why's of the pour confuse me, and I dont like being confused. Maybe thats why I hate Tepco so much. Ive been over the tunnel system and nothing jumps out.

I cant remember what was there originally, other than a green section with a couple trees somewhere in the picture. Ill go back and check. The pipes that they had extending out of the ground were about ten feet northwest of the north end of the pour, so they arent buried. The thought that thats where the dead workers are ran up one side of my spine and down the other before I got rid of it.

But its still a mystery. Personally i think its nice of Tepco to keep presenting new mysteries since weve solved so many of the other ones they created. Its like an on going video game. A nuclear "find Waldo" kind of thing. Right sporting of the chaps if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
A little shimmy, a little shake, a little gimme and a little quake...

Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 5.0

Date-Time Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 00:57:12 UTC Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 10:57:12AM at epicenter Time of Earthquakein otherTimeZones

Location 37.764°N, 143.584°E

Depth 35.3 km (21.9 miles)

Region OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

Distances 242 km (150 miles) ESE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan 251 km (155 miles) ENE of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan 274 km (170 miles) E of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan 412 km (256 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan

Location Uncertainty horizontal+/- 21.5 km (13.4 miles);depth +/- 5.5km (3.4miles)

Parameters NST= 44, Nph= 45, Dmin=474.2 km, Rmss=0.79 sec, Gp=133°, M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=5

Source Magnitude: USGSNEIC (WDCS-D) Location: USGSNEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc00075tw

Anyone catch it on camera?
USGS link for 5.0 (initial) earthquake on 12/13/2011

edit on 13-12-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: linkypoo

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
From The Yomiuri Shimbun

No Monju test runs in FY12, govt says

The Monju fast-breeder reactor in Tsuruga, Fukui Prefecture

The government has announced it will not resume test operations for a Monju prototype fast-breeder reactor in Tsuruga, Fukui Prefecture, during fiscal 2012 in light of the current domestic situation following the crisis at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

Additionally, the government plans not to include 2.2 billion yen earmarked for test operation preparations in the fiscal 2012 budget.

Following recommendations from the Government Revitalization Unit, the government has reviewed the budgets for Monju and other nuclear energy-related projects, and will cut 4 billion yen from Monju's 21.5 billion yen budget request in the coming fiscal year.

On top of the 2.2 billion yen, the government is expected to slash about 10 percent of Monju's requested maintenance and operational costs. The project's research and development are run by the Japan Atomic Energy Agency.

=======================================

I'll put this here so it does not interrupt the flow.

On this thread we have discussed many things, and I know there has been discussion on the historical aspects of nuclear energy in Japan and how some USA organisations were manipulating the situation. Well, now there is a book from the modern Japanese point of view from which may shed extra light on the cause of the war with japan and the events in that area afterwards.

In case anyone is interested in the background The Yomiuri Shimbun has published a book.
From Marco Polo Bridge to Pearl Harbor - WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE?
The short reviews are quite interesting on that page too.
=========================

edit on 13 Dec 2011 by qmantoo because: additions

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by zworld
Not sure what to make of this. Theyve started finding I-131 again, but far away from the plant. And Gunma isnt in the wind patterns from fukushima very often. Wouldnt they find it closer to the plant as well and in larger numbers first. Hmmmm?

fukushima-diary.com... imaDiary+%28Fukushima+Diary%29

This could be Pharmaceutical Stuff,
Iodine-131 is used in Hospitals a lot,
Hospitals itself use the same Waterpipes than any other House.

Imo there is a high possibility for the last 2 Measurments.
The first one is a little bit to high!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Fishermen's OK needed to dump nuclear plant water into sea: Edano

TOKYO, Dec. 13, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/12/131258.html

Japanese industry minister Yukio Edano on Tuesday called into question the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant operator's plan to release low-level radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean, saying doing so without consent from fishermen should not be allowed.

"It should not be socially allowed that (the operator) goes ahead (with the plan) before gaining agreement from people involved in the fishery industry," Edano said at a press conference.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said earlier this month it is considering releasing into the Pacific Ocean low-level radioactive water now stored in tanks at the premises of its crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, as storage capacity may run short by next March.

The utility known as TEPCO said the water would be released only after it clears the country's legal concentration limit for radioactive substances, including strontium, but domestic fisheries cooperatives fiercely oppose the plan.

Edano's remark effectively makes it necessary for TEPCO to gain consent from the fishery industry for its release of the power plant's treated water into the sea.

Copyright 2011 Kyodo News

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Excellent article from the Japan Times. It is really good to see MSM cover things this way. You know, like actually making sense out of something.

Real cause of nuclear crisis

www.japantimes.co.jp...

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco), the operator of the stricken Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Station, has been insisting that the culprit that caused the nuclear crisis was the huge tsunami that hit the plant after the March 11 earthquake. But evidence is mounting that the meltdown at the nuclear power plant was actually caused by the earthquake itself.

According to a science journalist well versed in the matter, Tepco is afraid that if the earthquake were to be determined as the direct cause of the accident, the government would have to review its quake-resistance standards completely, which in turn would delay by years the resumption of the operation of existing nuclear power stations that are suspended currently due to regular inspections.

The journalist is Mitsuhiko Tanaka, formerly with Babcock-Hitachi K.K. as an engineer responsible for designing the pressure vessel for the No. 4 reactor at the ill-fated Fukushima nuclear plant.

He says if the earthquake caused the damage to the plumbing, leading to a "loss-of-coolant accident (LOCA)" in which vaporized coolant gushed into the containment building from the damaged piping, an entirely new problem "vulnerability to earthquake resistance of the nuclear reactor's core structure" — would surface and that this will require a total review of the government's safety standards for nuclear power plants in Japan, which is quite frequently hit by earthquakes.

It makes sense. Broken water lines and piping most likely did occur to some extent. It had to in an EQ as long lasting as that one.

What puzzles Tanaka most is why the emergency condensers, which turn vaporized coolant (steam) into water and are supposed to lower both the pressure and temperature of the reactor, were not operating at the time of the accident although the condensers have the capability of functioning even when electricity becomes unavailable.

It is highly probable, he says, that the plumbing linked with the condensers was damaged by the earthquake, causing water or vapor to leak out, thus leading to the nonfunctioning of the condensers.

In a report released on May 23, Tepco said it stopped the emergency condensers after the quake occurred but before the tsunami hit the plant so that the temperature of the pressure vessel would not change by more than 55 degrees Celsius per hour. This, it said, was strictly in accordance with the instructions contained in the operating manual.

When a Diet committee looking into the incident asked Tepco to submit a copy of the manual, most pages of the documents so submitted were "blacked out," as the company alleged they contained trade secrets which it did not want to go into the public domain.

Makes alot of sense. The whole IC controversy is another example of making it up as you go along. One minute it was off. Then it was said to be on not off. Then oh wait a minute maybe it was off but nobody told us. Then it was definately off but some guy did it and we dont know who and he didnt tell us so like what are we supposed to do huh.

It s easy to see that the EQ shifted something in the IC, and no body noticed until it was too late. They got it going I think 8 hours later. But since the nuke folks dont want to have to improve EQ safety standards around the world, theyre squelching this data. Like this;

Atsuo Watanabe, former designer of containment vessels at Toshiba Corp., said on Oct. 26 that the most fundamental cause of the Fukushima plant fiasco probably lay in the blind acceptance of the safety standards adopted in the United States, which did not take into consideration all potential consequences from earthquakes.

The reactors damaged at Fukushima were of the GE Mark 1 type designed and built by General Electric Co. He pointed out that in the U.S., there is no need to consider the combination of an earthquake and a loss-of-coolant accident caused by broken piping, adding that it is reasonable to assume that the earthquake and loss of coolant occurred simultaneously at Fukushima No. 1.

edit on 13-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Not sure what to make of this. Theyve started finding I-131 again, but far away from the plant. And Gunma isnt in the wind patterns from fukushima very often. Wouldnt they find it closer to the plant as well and in larger numbers first. Hmmmm?

fukushima-diary.com... imaDiary+%28Fukushima+Diary%29

This could be Pharmaceutical Stuff,
Iodine-131 is used in Hospitals a lot,
Hospitals itself use the same Waterpipes than any other House.

Imo there is a high possibility for the last 2 Measurments.
The first one is a little bit to high!

That makes more sense than coming from Fukushima. Though there could be something going on at another plant, as recent leaks show.

Human, something else. There was a recent article in 'Pissing on the Roses' (POTR) that included scare tactics damn near, talking about a nighttime emergency at Dai-ichi that was said to be a drill but it probably wasnt and people needed to prepare for widespread contamination. They are all confused. The emergency drill was just that, a drill, and it was held at Daini not Dai-ichi. I can see what you mean about some of these sites getting their wires crossed. ENENEWS, Mochizuki and POTR articles need to be researched and confirmed before printing or believing.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Someone was looking for photos of #4? Northward views halfway down cryptome link below. And Mar. 24 vid from helo of plants. At 1:14 shows #3 reactor with plume issuing from base of building. Also a view of #4 right after. Cheers.

cryptome.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
my added emphrasis. There is that bit about rumours of radiation again. What radiation???

Fukushima gov. given details of recovery bill 11Dec2011

At the beginning of the meeting, Hirano told Sato: "Fukushima Prefecture is confronting problems different from those other disaster-hit prefectures are facing, such as harmful rumors [about products and tourism] based on radiation fears. We have to prepare legislative measures when necessary."

The envisaged bill will also include provisions encouraging corporations to hire disaster survivors when they restart their business in areas around the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant after evacuation instructions are lifted. The firms would be able to deduct up to 20 percent of such personnel costs from their corporate taxes for up to five years.

Provisions of an existing law cap such deductions at 10 percent, even if areas are designated as special restoration zones by the government.

========================================
Residents exposed to high doses of radiation 10dec2011

The Yomiuri Shimbun

A Fukushima prefectural government survey on residents' external radiation exposure showed those in government-set evacuation zones were likely exposed to annualized radiation doses of up to 14 millisieverts, government sources said Friday.

This is the first statistical data indicating external radiation exposure among people living around the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

The prefectural government plans to release the survey results by the end of December.

Meanwhile, the city government of Koriyama, also in the prefecture, announced Thursday four primary and middle school students' cumulative radiation exposure exceeded 0.40 millisievert in the month from Oct. 5. The dose translates into an annualized dose of 4 millisieverts or more, city officials said.
"Experts told us the figures [for the four students] do not represent health problems, but we'd like to question the students to find out why their radiation exposure levels were high," a city official said.

The International Commission on Radiological Protection sets the annual limit for radiation exposure at 20 to 100 millisieverts at the time of an emergency and 1 to 20 millisieverts after the disaster has been contained.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

The Plant is by far not safe, maybe for the next 10-20 years!!!

A Exercise is well advised, i doubt a Scare- Tactic behind this planned Event.

The Catastrophe on 03/11 showed that they has had big Problems
and until the only known Victims are the People who died by the Evacuations
of the Hospitals and Retirement Houses!

From the numbers i know the "typical average of Returnees" are very old, above 55 Years!

edit on 13-12-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Another nuke expert agrees with the nuclear blast theory. Unfortunately, because the concept of the UC has never broken through the MSM barrier, and probably won't, he places the blame on the SFP, which doesnt show the kind of damage a nuke blast would do IMO.
ex-skf.blogspot.com...

Japanese Engineer: "There Was a Nuclear Explosion in Reactor 3 in Addition to a Hydrogen Explosion"

"The explosion in Reactor 3 at Fukushima I Nuke Plant on March 14 was nuclear!"

So says Mr. Setsuo Fujiwara, who worked at Japan Nuclear Energy Safety Organization (JNES) until the spring of 2010 as nuclear plant inspector. He is one of those experts who know the nuclear power plant facilities and operations in great details.

"In the Reactor 3 explosion, there was a flicker of fire, then a vertical, black smoke up the reactor building. A hydrogen explosion does not produce such a black smoke. And the mushroom cloud. It resembles a nuclear explosion."

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
From the numbers i know the "typical average of Returnees" are very old, above 55 Years!

Thats what it is right now. But with the size of the convoys moving in Id bet in a matter of months there will be more residents under 40 than over 40 due to the age of the military personnel and their families (once the bases are deconed).

And what I meant about the emergency drill is that it was held at Daini and not Dai-ichi. Its very important for the bloggers and media to make sure of their facts. By stating it was at Dai-ichi it would immediately raise concerns cause you dont use a radiated area like that for exercises.

Ive noticed numerous times ENENEWS, FD and POTR make mistakes. ENENEWS is to me now the most suspect as far as believability due to how they take things out of context, and then make a misleading headline out of it. Im glad ENENEWS is there cause its alerted many of us to stories we might have missed. But I dont take anything for granted from them. I always go to the linked article and make sure the headline matches the data, and it hasn't been skewed, before taking this data somewhere else and posting or printing.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I posted the following over at thorfourwinds thread on flotsam and jetsam from the tsunami but think it might go good here too. There are a number of people (including regulators and experts with statistics
) now trying to say that because the debris field is made up of stuff that came out with the tsunami before any explosions at the nuke plant, that it isn't radiated and we dont need to worry about it. Youll see more and more of this reassuring crap as the stuff gets closer. But as always its total BS as the below explains;

------------------------------------------------------

reply to post by thorfourwinds

Intersting discussion. Id forgotten about that stuff. And yes it is highly radiated, even the stuff that came out with the first tsunami waves and far removed from Fukushima. It was radiated by the atmospheric plumes that emitted continuously since march 12th and that researchers believe carried 90% of Fukushima's radiation away from Japan and over the Pacific Ocean. The path that these plumes followed mirrored the path of the current dispersion patterns that the debris is taking east into the Pacific. This debris in fact could be the most radiated debris on the planet right now. Picture the plume that came out of Fukushima on March 18th and 19th. It was a massive surge that dispersed with the winds directly over the top of the debris fields heading east from the tsunami. And it was raining lightly at the time. Much of this plume dispersed on top of that debris field. How much stuck we will probably never know.

The debris field is simulated to be the size of California. Its headed straight for the British Columbia sized Garbage Patch. Will one stop the other, side swipe, miss completely, or push both towards the west coast. No one knows.

beachcombersalert.blogspot.com...

OSCURS (Ocean Surface CURrent Simulator) computations showed the locations of the debris field as of October 31, 2011.

OSCURS, as well as independent simulations from the University of Hawaii, showed the debris field stretched over an area the size of the state of California. Winds and currents had pushed the leading edge of the debris field, the flotsam closest to America, half way across the Pacific to a position north of Hawaii.

However, all of this debris has to first make it past America's frontline defense for this type of invasion, our Garbage Patch. It is more massive than the debris field that is approaching, and is locked in position it seems. From iprc.soest.hawaii.edu...

The two regions where most drifters collect or converge are in the eastern North and South Pacific. In the North Pacific this place lies between Hawai‘i and California and has been recently identified as the location of the Great Floating Garbage Patch, a huge cluster of partly defragmented plastic and ghost nets and other flotsam endangering marine life.

edit on 13-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Its tragic, I cant even allow myself to think about this very long, where are they taking all of this stuff?
They are burning it, dumping it in the sea, mixing it with concrete to be used somewhere.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Salt? Frozen?

www.tepco.co.jp...

Desalinization...
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

new topics

top topics

<< 1152  1153  1154    1156  1157  1158 >>

join