Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1145
<< 1142  1143  1144    1146  1147  1148 >>

join

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
A very good read on the tectonic forces that hit Japan. When I think how many quakes there have been on the side of this ridge, I shudder.

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...
To GR...We have mail, dude! Maybe you can U2U me your e-mail address, and I'll pass it on? Or any other idea you may have on how I can get this to you. It's too big to post {There are a few} I'll send you somewhat detailed note tomorrow and we can how best to move it. I can't make heads or tails out of it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Japan's 'nuclear gypsies' face radioactive peril at power plants

Kazuo Okawa's luckless career as a "nuclear gypsy" began one night at a poker game. The year was 1992, and jobs were scarce in this farming town in the shadow of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. An unemployed Okawa gambled and drank a lot.

He was dealing cards when a stranger made him an offer: manage a crew of unskilled workers at the nearby plant. "Just gather a team of young guys and show up at the front gate; I'll tell you what to do," instructed the man, who Okawa later learned was a recruiter for a local job subcontracting firm.

Okawa didn't know the first thing about nuclear power, but he figured, what could go wrong?

He became what's known in Japan as a "jumper" or "nuclear gypsy" for the way he moved among various nuclear plants. But the nickname that Okawa disliked most was burakumin, a derisive label for those who worked the thankless jobs he and others performed.

www.latimes.com...

Sounds like one of the old Sailor Tales, but good story!

TEPCO report depicts desperate workers left in tsunami-hit plant

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Friday its investigation into the nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant shed light on how desperate workers at the site felt shortly after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami resulted in the loss of power sources.

"I felt I could do nothing. Other operators appeared anxious. They argued, 'When we cannot control (the reactors) and are at wit's end, is there any meaning for us to be here?"' a person in charge of the reactors' central control room recalled about the situation, according to a separate volume attached to an interim investigation report on the accident. "So, I bowed my head and asked them to stay."

mdn.mainichi.jp...

Report doesn't answer blast, radiation leak mysteries

The report's verification of TEPCO's initial response to the nuclear accident also lacked details. After a hydrogen blast wrecked the No. 1 reactor building shortly after 3:30 p.m. on March 12--a development nobody had anticipated--TEPCO scrambled to prevent similar blasts from occurring at the other reactors. The utility arranged to have a hydraulic device break open holes in the reactor buildings to release hydrogen from inside. But shortly after 11 a.m. on March 14, before the device arrived, a hydrogen blast ripped through the No. 3 reactor. The report did not specify why TEPCO failed to prevent this blast, which happened nearly two days after the first explosion.

TEPCO Vice President Masao Yamazaki said: "It was difficult to obtain equipment due to bad road conditions and other problems after the [March 11] earthquake. We'll look into the matter further for the final report." There also are some loose ends regarding the injection of cooling water into the reactors.

Even after the huge tsunami triggered by the March 11 earthquake hit the power plant and knocked out its cooling systems, the emergency water injection system functioned for about three days at the No. 2 reactor and about 1-1/2 days at the No. 3 reactor.

TEPCO had time to prepare substitute water injection methods, such as stationing fire engines at the plant. Its failure to do so eventually resulted in core meltdowns at the Nos. 1-3 reactors.

www.yomiuri.co.jp...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

A Leak? Evaporative Condensation Apparatus

Nice crack...all those tremors...
www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

At 11:33 am on December 4, workers found that there was puddle water inside the barrier around the evaporative condensation apparatus (the estimated volume of water was approx. 45 m3). At 11:52 am, we stopped the apparatus, and at 12:14 pm, workers made visual inspection of the apparatus and the leakage seemed stopped. After that, we conducted investigation and at 2:30 pm, we found crack in the barrier made of concrete and water was leaking to the gutter (surface dose rate of leaked water: beta ray 110 mSv/h, gamma ray 1.8 mSv/h). We are considering emergency response to stop leakage of water to the outside of the barrier. In the meantime, the water desalination apparatus (reverse osmosis membrane type) is continuing operation. As we have sufficient volume of desalinated water, there is no impact on the Reactor water injection.

www.tepco.co.jp...

Don't step in it...
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 4-12-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
A very good read on the tectonic forces that hit Japan. When I think how many quakes there have been on the side of this ridge, I shudder.

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

Whew...talk about "living on the edge"!!

"There's somethin' wrong with the world today
The light bulb's gettin' dim
There's meltdown in the sky"

- Purple Chive

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Soil Contamination..."Insanity"...

- Purple Chive

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

A Leak? Evaporative Condensation Apparatus

Nice crack...all those tremors...
www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

At 11:33 am on December 4, workers found that there was puddle water inside the barrier around the evaporative condensation apparatus (the estimated volume of water was approx. 45 m3). At 11:52 am, we stopped the apparatus, and at 12:14 pm, workers made visual inspection of the apparatus and the leakage seemed stopped. After that, we conducted investigation and at 2:30 pm, we found crack in the barrier made of concrete and water was leaking to the gutter (surface dose rate of leaked water: beta ray 110 mSv/h, gamma ray 1.8 mSv/h). We are considering emergency response to stop leakage of water to the outside of the barrier. In the meantime, the water desalination apparatus (reverse osmosis membrane type) is continuing operation. As we have sufficient volume of desalinated water, there is no impact on the Reactor water injection.

www.tepco.co.jp...

Don't step in it...
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

220 Tones...One Hell of "A Leak"...

fukushima-diary.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

"Does it look like boobs? or Mickey?"

Needed some entertainment!!

fukushima-diary.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Amazing image.

Looks like the bloody moon!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
CBS News finally picking up the story...

www.cbsnews.com...

In meltdown, Japan dodged even bigger disaster

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Thank you to all of you in this thread who have chronicled this horrifying disaster so that a timeline of truth exists.

I have only one question:

Where do we stand on curing CANCER?

Peace and thank you for all of your work.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

"Does it look like boobs? or Mickey?"

Needed some entertainment!!

fukushima-diary.com...

- Purple Chive

I vote boobs, but then again being a guy, we see boobs in everything..

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

I have only one question:

Where do we stand on curing CANCER?

Already very good, afir 80% of forms of Cancer are treatable.

But imo. Cancer because of F'Shima should be not our major Concern,
the change of DNA is more dangerous for every Organism on this lovely and small Planeto!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

220 Tones...One Hell of "A Leak"...

PC, Im not real good at math, but I think that works out to roughly 67,000 radiated gallons. Does the diary or anyplace (heaven forbid Tepco should) reveal what the source of this water is. I can't imagine a leak this big coming from the water treatment plant itself without being noticed long before now. Did it just appear over night. They check these places regularly for status reports. A pool of water like they found a foot deep (?) inside the desalination plant had to happen over night wouldnt it?

To put those numbers in perspective, here are the current readings for the sub drains around R1 through R4. The water from the leak they just found is over one and two orders of magnitude greater. It also has a strong tritium component Ill bet which would account for the high beta readings. Note ND for R4, consistent for sometime. R3 has had many subdrain NDs recently as well. Yet their numbers at the water intake inside the silt fence have been during the same time the highest found in the pant. I really really dont get it. But back to this new swimming pool size leak, Id go through Tepcos files but they are no longer doing notes, memos or anything in english. Except this kind of stuff, press handouts. Buggers. Ill see what i can find.

And there is a rise in tritium in R1 subdrain as well. ON EDIT: Whoops just saw the sampling date. Its three weeks old. Another timely TEpco release. I guess they didn't get the truth revealed soon enough to them so they could confirm it

This place is a sieve.
edit on 4-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This is the kind of news that is going to cripple the Japanese export market, and why they really need to start a standardized verification program for all exports.

www.timeslive.co.za...

Police in the Russian Pacific port city Vladivostok confiscated a shipping container from Japan that had dozens of radioactive car tyres in it, the Interfax news agency reported on Thursday.

A total 29 tyres in the shipment were emitting excess levels of gamma and beta rays, making them unsafe to bring into Russia, a port official said.

"There's a good chance the radioactive tyres are a result of the Fukushima accident," said Ivan Skogorev, a safety inspector.

The tyres' owner might have them decontaminated, shipped backed to Japan or buried in a hazardous waste site in Russia; but as yet the shipment's consignee had not come forward, Skogorev said.

Vladivostok custom officials in April halted a batch of 49 radioactive automobiles exported from Japan, some of which were found to emit dangerous isotopes at six times safe levels. A similar incident was reported in June.

Russia's Far Eastern region is a major consumer of used Japanese automobiles.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
To GR. It's in your mail, bud. There are some attachments that said "unsafe" I don't know enough about computers to open them. That's up to you.
How about a little good news for a change? I took my dosimeter to the supermarket today in eastern Ontario. I tested fruits and veggies from Canada, the US and S.America. Everything was OK. 0.10 - 0.15 except US red potatoes. 0.24. I checked rice from Taiwan, {0.15} flour from Manitoba {0.10}, even bananas were 0.15. US grapes, cabage tomatoes, onions, all OK. Pistachio's from California, local milk and cheese, OK. I know this is only 1 store at 1 time but I log the numbers and at least I'll be able to tell if it spikes. So far, just last Sundays rain was high, and our background seems to be a bit higher than normal but that's it. I also did 2 rain tests today. It was OK. Nobody even noticed me testing in the store. People are texting and price checking with calculators, so Gizmo's are beeping everywhere, anyway. It did spike to 0.42 for a second out in the parking lot. I do get the odd quick airborn spike.
And I found these in my travels today. So much for the good news...back to reality.

edit on 4-12-2011 by Aircooled because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Your jet stream forcast.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Aircooled, THANK YOU for checking the food! That is great news!

Big thanks to everyone, always, for all the contributions, too.
I just bite my nails and read... while slurping Atlantic-kelp-fortified miso...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
Thomas Paine

RADIATION WATCH 2011

[color=Chartreuse]The total number of days between Friday, March 11, 2011 and Friday, December 2, 2011 is
267 days.

[color=Salmon]The radiation poisoning of we, the people, our children, pets, food, water and our land
has continued unabated - 24/7/365
[color=Cyan]
- for 8 months, 22 days ... which is:

• 23,068,800 seconds
• 384,480 minutes
• 6408 hours
• 38 weeks (rounded down)

Are we any closer to a solution to this disaster/fiasco than we were last week at this time?

Let's take a look at recent headlines:

For USA’s nuclear industry – could things get any worse?
30 November 2011

Nuclear’s Annus Horribilis, AOL, Margaret Ryan, November 30, 2011 For the nuclear industry, 2011 was Biblical. Earthquakes. Tsunamis. Tornadoes. Floods. Fires.

2011 had everything but plagues of locusts...

Since 2001, nuclear critics had been worried about airplanes smashing into plants or dirty bombs.

This year nature reminded everyone it can still throw a haymaker, and the reverberations from 2011′s onslaught appear set to dominate US nuclear power in 2011...

2 December 2011
Nuclear Experts: “We have to be prepared for the worst case scenario” —
5-10 meter barrier must be installed beneath Fukushima reactors

• TEPCO has revealed “that melted nuclear fuel has nearly reached the bottom steel wall under the concrete”

• “If the erosion expands another 37 centimeters, it would be hitting the steel wall”

• “If the fuel melts through the remaining concrete embedment, which is only some 30 centimeters, it is bound to seep into the soil”

• “Experts say TEPCO must find a measure to prevent fuel leakage“

• “Experts stress TEPCO must promptly find a way to put a stop to the fuel erosion inside the reactor“

However, TEPCO's analysis is rough at best because it is [color=Chartreuse]a prediction of the current situation inside the reactor based on its temperature change and injection of cooling water.

..."I think they must install a 5 to 10 meter barrier in the basement to prevent the worst case scenario."

Huh? What “basement?”

What “worst case“ scenario?

Exactly how does that work?

Let’s take water injection. Wonder what the formula is to relate tons of water per hour to the erosion coefficient per centimeter based on temperature change...

Leakage of melted fuel may invite a host of difficult problems such as safe removal of the fuel in a cold shutdown of the nuclear reactor in the future.

That's a quaint way of putting it.

Perhaps TEPCO is just realizing that a "cold shutdown" might be a tad difficult when the poolium has left the building.

2 December 2011
Mainichi: Gov’t session reveals 400,000 TIMES normal radioactive xenon-133 levels in Chiba — Actual figure may be MUCH higher

CHIBA -- Radioactive xenon-133 some 400,000 times normal levels was detected in the atmosphere here immediately after the outbreak of the crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, a radiation survey organization said.

It took three months before the volume of radioactive substances returned to normal levels...

The average amount of xenon-133 in the atmosphere was 1,300 becquerels per cubic meter of air in Chiba between March 14 and 22, as compared with zero to 3.4 millibecquerels before the crisis.

The volume reached 400,000 times normal levels shortly after the nuclear crisis was triggered by the March 11 tsunami, according to the center.

[color=Salmon]Since xenon-133 hardly reacts to any other substance, there is no fear of internal exposure to radiation even if inhaled, experts say.

To be continued...

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

(... continues from previous post)

...Three months later, however, when TEPCO's cover-up of cracked equipment and other damage was exposed, Araki and Minami resigned. As a result, a second meeting to negotiate the details of the Rokkasho withdrawal never took place.

Then TEPCO Chairman Araki, who is currently an advisor to the utility, refused to be interviewed about the case, saying that his "[color=Cyan]memories (about it) are vague."

Former TEPCO President Minami said that he "[color=Cyan]has no recollection" of the 2002 meeting, but added, "We were talking with METI about whether to withdraw from the reprocessing project, and
I discussed it with Araki and (then Vice President and current Chairman) Katsumata."

TEPCO Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata, right (AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye)

Katsumata also refrained from saying whether the meeting had taken place, but said, "We had about five management meetings within our company about whether or not to go forth with reprocessing." Meanwhile, former METI official Hirose said, "[color=Cyan]I absolutely have no recollection."

So where are the minutes from said management meetings?

3 December 2011
Fukushima worker recalls eerie, deep popping noise from bottom of reactor before boots melted

..."When I got to the place to open the valve, I heard eerie, deep popping noise from the torus (a donut-shaped structure at the bottom of the reactor)," he said.

"When I put one of my feet on the torus to reach the valve, my black rubber boot melted and slipped (due to the heat)..."

...because it was out of power, workers had to go to the actual point to open the lid (to vent the reactors).

However, it was extremely hot because of the exposed fuel inside of the reactor.
A worker states, once they stepped on the ladder, the shoes got melted like glue immediately.

It was not just the heat, [color=Chartreuse]radiation level was also extremely high...

This story is just plain weird. See what you think the point is.

3 December 2011
Confusion clouds Education Ministry notices on radiation levels in school lunches

And now for something completely different.

3 December 2011
CNN Names Korean Trout Fest A Wonder of Winter

CNN has listed the world's top seven winterland marvels as chosen by Lonely Planet authors.
And among the winners is a Korean winter festival, involving the Sancheoneo.
Sancheoneo, a species of trout, dwell in the rivers around Hwacheon in the mountains northeast of Seoul.

When winter arrives, the rivers freeze over and the fish disappear under 40-centimeters of ice. Sancheoneo Fest gives visitors a chance to try their hand at ice-fishing.

The festival may have made it on the list because some visitors shed their thick, outer layers and end up in just T-shirts and shorts before [color=Salmon]plunging into a pool of near-freezing water to catch the fish in primal fashion...

The fresh catch are cooked on the spot.

● Slogan: Unfrozen Hearts, Unforgettable Memories

Visitors can try out ice fishing, and those who are feeling brave can try to catch mountain trout with their bare hands. As well as fun activities and performances, there is also an exhibition of ice sculptures that took 20 weeks to prepare. Visitors can sample raw and grilled mountain trout, both of which are delicious.
narafestival.com

However, not even the trout in South Korea seem to be free from Fukushima radiation.

SEOUL: Officials say traces of radioactive material from Japan's stricken nuclear power plant have been detected in South Korea.

Local media reports say South Korea's 12 detection centers have identified traces of iodine-131, cesium-137 and cesium-134, but added that the materials are not dangerous to people or the environment at current levels.

It may be recalled that Seoul first confirmed the existence of radioactive particles in the air on March 28, 17 days after the Fukushima nuclear power plant was damaged by a tsunami that followed the March 11 magnitude-9 earthquake that struck Japan.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]
edit on 4/12/2011 by thorfourwinds because: fish

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this has been up? It's very good. This part is about fuk.

top topics

<< 1142  1143  1144    1146  1147  1148 >>

join