It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1134.htm
<< 1131  1132  1133    1135  1136  1137 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Thats a ruse. Tepco is using it as an excuse to dump untold gallons of rad water north of R6 in the guise of fire protection.

Which ruse is that? Nobody dumps water on the ground to prevent fires...??? Having trouble with that reply zworld.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by Purplechive

What the hell? Trees are spontaneous combusting out side the reactor walls? Are you kidding?

Thats a ruse. Tepco is using it as an excuse to dump untold gallons of rad water north of R6 in the guise of fire protection.

concerning screen captures, if you have a PC running on Vista or windows 7 you can use the snipping tool. I know nothing about Apple or other apps though.

Thank you for that reply. A ruse? Why would they make up a stupid excuse like that? Nobody buys that. Why not just quietly dump the water? And preferably somewhere away from the site?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Just how radioactive is radioactive waste? Dr. Alvarez in this interview by Helen Caldicott spells it out in a way I've never heard:

If you take an unshielded spent fuel bundle and put it on the side of the road and you drove by on a motorbike going 60mph you would fall off the bike dead before you drove past it.

I do not think this is reliable information and maybe "dramatically enhanced" since there have been spent fuel rods lying around all over the Fukushima site since the first explosions and I assume these have been moved.

Japanese workers would be dropping like flies if this above was true. They are not dropping like flies - at least not that we know of anyway. Something is not going to kill you in one tenth of a second that it takes a motorbike rider to ride past anything at 60mph. You may die a painful and lingering death afterwards, but not then and there.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Perhaps he is also taking in to account the time it takes to approach the fuel bundle? One other thing, yes, much of the debris was removed and buried by robots, remember robot bulldozers and all that remote RC equipment? Have they found the missing 198 workers yet? Do we know that there hasn't been anyone falling over dead? Lastly, high enough radiation can kill you in minutes, but I never heard of it being instant. Wiki.

edit on 28-11-2011 by Wertwog because: oh tepco you silly boyz

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Nuclear Power Goes Rogue 28Nov11
Post-Fukushima, the market for nuclear power is changing latitudes. Here’s what’s at stake.

As the full cost of the Fukushima nuclear accident continues to climb—Japanese officials now peg it at $64 billion or more—nuclear power’s future is literally headed south. Developed countries are slowing or shuttering their nuclear-power programs, while states to their south, in the world’s hotspots (think the Middle East and Far East), are pushing to build reactors of their own. Normally, this would lead to even more of a focus on nuclear safety and nonproliferation. Yet, given how nuclear-reactor sales have imploded in the world’s advanced economies, both these points have been trumped by nuclear supplier states’ desires to corner what reactor markets remain.

Certainly, nuclear sales opportunities are far less flush than they once were.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Unit 2....Latest Readings

Stopped reporting Suppression Gas Chamber....but not saying outright if it's a malfunction or not.

we inspected the instrument but got no data indicating malfunction, and the readings after the inspection are not different from those before. Therefore, we estimated that the signal detection line was somehow affected, which raised the temperature indicated. We will keep monitoring this instrument and also monitor the temperature using instruments close to it.

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

Amuck...

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Fukushima nuclear power plant director steps down suddenly due to 'illness'

Masao Yoshida, 56, has been hospitalised for "treatment of illness" and will relinquish his director post at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in northeast Japan from Thursday. His sudden departure without a specific medical explanation is likely to prompt speculation surrounding the possible connection between his medical condition and exposure to high radiation levels at the plant.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Nuclear insurance group won't renew Fukushima plant's liability insurance/ we told ya!

The Japan Atomic Energy Insurance Pool has decided not to renew the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant's insurance contract when it expires in January next year, it has been learned.

The pool, a group formed by 23 nonlife insurance companies to provide nuclear power plant-related liability insurance, judged that the risks from the plant are still high, even though the nuclear disaster triggered by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami is gradually being brought under control.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Surely if there is any doubt about whether they will be allowed to renew or not, TEPCO would have claimed on the policy.

Just about anything you care to mention could be claimed for now. The goverment/Tepco will try and get its money back from whoever and whereever it can. It just depends who or which company is on the bottom of the pile.

I would have thought insurance companies get re-insured by other insurance companies so they spread the risk. It will all go around, everyone claiming from everyone else, and come back to the government (people's taxes) in the end.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I was really surprised that they found a Insurance!

Afaik no Nuclear Plant in Europe hold a Insurance because she would
be astronomical high, they are all insured via the Government (at least in Northern Europe)

Liability for Nuclear Damage

* Operators of nuclear power plants are liable for any damage caused by them, regardless of fault. They therefore normally take out insurance for third-party liability, and in most countries they are required to do so.

* The potential cross boundary consequences of a nuclear accident require an international nuclear liability regime, so national laws are supplemented by a number of international conventions.

* Liability is limited by both international conventions and by national legislation, so that beyond the limit (normally covered by insurance) the state can accept responsibility as insurer of last resort, as in all other aspects of industrial society.

a interesting Lecture! www.world-nuclear.org...

Insuring the Next Nuclear Accident

The Price-Anderson Act is what makes nuclear power possible. At the beginning of the nuclear age, utility companies wouldn't go near the nuclear power business because they knew no sane insurance firm would accept responsibility for any accident.

The nuclear lobby arranged for Congress to pass what became

The Price-Anderson Act of 1957

(Price-Anderson is why your home insurance policy says, "This policy does not cover loss or damage caused by nuclear reaction." Go ahead, check. It's there in black and white. You can't get protection from a nuclear accident, but the nuclear industry can. )

The Price-Anderson Act is what makes nuclear power possible. At the beginning of the nuclear age, utility companies wouldn't go near the nuclear power business because they knew no sane insurance firm would accept responsibility for any accident. The nuclear lobby arranged for Congress to pass what became the Price-Anderson Act of 1957. It was to be a temporary, ten-year measure to "encourage the private development of nuclear power." That's what its supporters testified. Forty-five years later, Price-Anderson is facing a 2002 expiration date. It's enough to send shock waves through the nuclear power industry.

Price-Anderson is why your home insurance policy says, "This policy does not cover loss or damage caused by nuclear reaction." Go ahead, check. It's there in black and white. You can't get protection from a nuclear accident, but the nuclear industry can.

Price-Anderson limits liability for a nuclear accident, no matter how many people are killed or injured, and how many billions are lost. It sets a ceiling on the damages victims can recover from insurance companies, and makes the federal government pick up a good portion of the tab. As of 1988, nuclear utilities -- as a group -- are required to purchase $200 million worth of insurance and together they've got to fund a $9 billion pool for larger accident claims. Upwards of $9 billion, the bill commits federal funds.

www.mindfully.org...

International Nuclear Law in the Post-Chernobyl Period

www.oecd-nea.org...
This is a very large File!!!

edit on 28-11-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-11-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-11-2011 by Human0815 because: info

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

DONT DRINK THE WATER

This totally confuses things. Two possible explanations. Contamination is either many many more times what has been estimated, or Tepco has been dumping illegally into this river.
ajw.asahi.com...

Researchers have sounded the alarm over river water containing cesium levels at tens of billions of becquerels a day flowing into the sea near Fukushima Prefecture, site of the crippled nuclear power plant.

A joint study by Kyoto University and the University of Tsukuba, among other entities, estimated that water at the mouth of the Abukumagawa river running through the prefecture was contaminated with cesium levels of about 50 billion becquerels a day.

They called for immediate and continued monitoring of the situation.

The daily radiation levels are equivalent to the total of amount of cesium in low-level contaminated water released into the sea in April by Tokyo Electric Power Co., operator of the stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

The Abukumagawa river runs to the north in the prefecture, near Koriyama and Fukushima, the prefectural capital, and flows into the Pacific Ocean at Iwanuma in Miyagi Prefecture.

Its watershed area spans 5,400 square kilometers, including a vast stretch contaminated by the plant.
The researchers estimated the level for cesium-137 at 29.1 billion becquerels a day and that for cesium-134 at 23.4 billion becquerels a day--both at the mouth of the river.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

edit on 28-11-2011 by Wertwog because: oh tepco you silly boyz

Heres a recent follow up to the missing workers. Tepco and the govt now say that they dont know what happened to them, and that its not their responsibility once the workers leave the job, but the responsibility of the contractor or subcontractor. In other words, we will never know what happens to those working from day one including the Fukushima 50, since they would be released from working the moment they show ill health or pass the safety levels of exposure.

That says alot about Tepco right there. If there is a trend among workers dieing from acute leukemia or other factors down the road, no one will ever know, because Tepco doesnt want us to know. Simply put anyway.

When AC made the world aware that there may be many workers killed onsite and disposed of, I really thought that might be taking things to far. Now I think its possible, if not probable. This is what the tweets were about. Tepco had contractors go out to skid row areas, pick up a bunch of drunks with no IDs, told them they would be paid outrageous amounts of money, sent them into the worst hotspots, then did away with them.

I really really hope thats not true.

edit on 28-11-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

DONT DRINK THE WATER

This totally confuses things. Two possible explanations. Contamination is either many many more times what has been estimated, or Tepco has been dumping illegally into this river.
ajw.asahi.com...

Researchers have sounded the alarm over river water containing cesium levels at tens of billions of becquerels a day flowing into the sea near Fukushima Prefecture, site of the crippled nuclear power plant.

A joint study by Kyoto University and the University of Tsukuba, among other entities, estimated that water at the mouth of the Abukumagawa river running through the prefecture was contaminated with cesium levels of about 50 billion becquerels a day.

They called for immediate and continued monitoring of the situation.

The daily radiation levels are equivalent to the total of amount of cesium in low-level contaminated water released into the sea in April by Tokyo Electric Power Co., operator of the stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

The Abukumagawa river runs to the north in the prefecture, near Koriyama and Fukushima, the prefectural capital, and flows into the Pacific Ocean at Iwanuma in Miyagi Prefecture.

Its watershed area spans 5,400 square kilometers, including a vast stretch contaminated by the plant.
The researchers estimated the level for cesium-137 at 29.1 billion becquerels a day and that for cesium-134 at 23.4 billion becquerels a day--both at the mouth of the river.

Z, I posted about this a few pages back. After Chernobyl, the Russians sealed off every drinking water well in the entire contaminated area, trying to keep runoff and radiation out of the water tables.

Have they done this in Japan? I've never heard about it if they did after another thorough internet search.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor

Z, I posted about this a few pages back. After Chernobyl, the Russians sealed off every drinking water well in the entire contaminated area, trying to keep runoff and radiation out of the water tables.

Have they done this in Japan? I've never heard about it if they did after another thorough internet search.

The so called "Water Table" must be imho. different than in many other Countries,
i think we can speak about Groundwater only on the Plains like the Kanto-Plain,
(Hokkaido is maybe a exception)
even our Drinking Water is mostly Surface Water.

Ground Water in Japan means "Onsen" , hot thermal Water with Radon

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

The so called "Water Table" must be imho. different than in many other Countries,
i think we can speak about Groundwater only on the Plains like the Kanto-Plain,
(Hokkaido is maybe a exception)
even our Drinking Water is mostly Surface Water.

Ground Water in Japan means "Onsen" , hot thermal Water with Radon

So your farmers and people that live outside of cities don't drill wells? Because if all of your water is surface water only, it's time to get out of Japan, stat!!
edit on 28-11-2011 by matadoor because: Premature postulation.....

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

So your farmers and people that live outside of cities don't drill wells?

Some do but mostly i think that the Farmer here use Water from a River
or from the Mountain.

Originally posted by matadoorBecause if all of your water is surface water only, it's time to get out of Japan

I think a strong, permanent observation of the Data is more walk- and usable
for the majority of the Japanese.

I can escape in between a few Hours, just go, but many People here are not like me,
in fact i never saw such a spontaneous Person like me

And anyway- do you know how many People die because of dirty, poisonous Water?
Millions!!!

No, we need a 24/7/365 Surveillance of all Data,
Independent Observer and Alternatives for the polluted Food,
there is no other Way to go, a Evacuation of Higashi-Nihon is futile and impossible!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

or from the Mountain.

Originally posted by matadoorBecause if all of your water is surface water only, it's time to get out of Japan

--

Do you not think that this data you ask for would just be ignored? Do you think folks would just say "it's not enough". What will be enough? Do you really think folks would say, "oh yes, XX organization has measured high levels here, we should move!". No this is not what is or will happen. What amount of data will be sufficient to convince folks to leave? My guess is no amount of data would ever be sufficient because data only works on rational minds, not emotional minds. You will find data to support going or staying, but if you stay it can't be because you weren't warned or didn't have the right data available.The data is available, it is either ignored or assigned less value based on emotional attachments. There is also confusing contradictory data that any "true" data has to compete with "false" data. What "data" does the average plane ticket buyer believe? Your only judge is yourself and the accuracy of your BS detector and ability to use it.

Greenpeace took independent data and found high levels, and there are many many other sources verifying high levels.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

or from the Mountain.

I can escape in between a few Hours, just go, but many People here are not like me,
in fact i never saw such a spontaneous Person like me

And anyway- do you know how many People die because of dirty, poisonous Water?
Millions!!!

Independent Observer and Alternatives for the polluted Food,
there is no other Way to go, a Evacuation of Higashi-Nihon is futile and impossible!

Any wells need to be filled in with non-contaminated dirt. All water that derives from rivers and mountain streams will in all likelihood be very contaminated.

The idea for sealing wells is, as the water percolates down through the earth, the earth itself acts as a water filter. The earth then also adds minerals to the water, if those minerals exist in the layers going down to the water table.

If the well is open, water that is contaminated is able to go straight to the water table, poisoning all of the water. Even 1 well is too many.

Whoever is able to come up with a cheap, reliable water filtering system is going to make a fortune.

Hey, maybe that's who is behind all of this!!

Edit - one real quick google search later.... Guess what I'm buying out of my next paycheck!!???

www.pureeffectfilters.com...

edit on 28-11-2011 by matadoor because: Premature postulation....

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Download the first two before they disappear

These are all HD sat photos. The first is pre R3 blast, the second is the day they raised the INES level from 5 to 7 (Apriln 12), and the third pre disaster from 2009.

geoeye sat photo 10:30 AM 3/14/2011
geoeyemediaportal.s3.amazonaws.com...

April 12, 2011, by the GeoEye-1 satellite at 10:13 a.m., on the same day Japanese nuclear safety officials raised the nuclear alert level at the plant from five to the maximum seven level.

(Interesting point. The day they raised the level to INES 7 for Fukushima is also the same day that the EPA stopped monitoring on a regular basis for radiation from Fukushima in the US.)

Nov. 2009. Excellent reference point pre disaster.

And just to really throw things up in the air, and in my opinion solidfy my theory that the R3 blast was really the UC blast that exited multiple locations, check out this sequence. #1 shows the R1/R2 transmission line switching yard building (TrB from now on) before the R1 blast, #2 shows it after the R1 blast but before the R3 blast and #3 shows it post R3 blast. Note that the damage wasnt there after R1 blast. Weird huh? Especially since if memory serves there was a picture that went around the web showing the TrB damaged after the R1 blast. Now Im pretty sure it was a shot from the initial overflight video series that was actually taken after all blasts. It just showed R1 and not the others is all.

Or am I just blind or hallucinating (its been known to happen without even taking anything). Curiouser and curiouser. I wouldnt be surprised if one of these shots shows Alice falling down a hole.

ON EDIT: I should add that the damage Im referring to is white front on the southern part of the building. There is another web cam shot that also shows this but not clearly and I dont even know iof I saved it cause at the time I thought it was just an angle of the shot thing, and the damage must be there.

Also of note is the fact that the big oval dark spot atop the norther section of the TrB isnt there until after the R3 blast as well.
edit on 28-11-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

California energy report says state can slash greenhouse gases by another 80 percent

California must be fully electrified 40 years from now with residents driving only electric cars and plugging them into a grid powered by carbon-free power plants if the state is to meet its most far-reaching climate goals, according to a new study.

The equivalent of 1½ to two nuclear power plants would have to be built each year between now and 2050 to meet the growing electricity demand, said Margaret S. Torn, a biogeochemist at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory who is one of the study's co-authors.

Source

How California can hit its mid-century emissions reduction goals

Now, if everyone in California stopped eating meat or switched from driving cars to riding bicycles, or if fusion energy suddenly became feasible, meeting the emissions goals would become a whole lot easier. However, this study left out drastic and probably unrealistic changes like these.

The analysis found that, at best, renewables could provide only 74 percent of electricity demand, while others had previously claimed that renewables could meet all the future demand, due to CA’s high solar and wind resources. In the current study, they found that nuclear power, hydro (not considered renewable here), and natural gas with carbon capture and storage are still needed to meet growing demands.

Most importantly, they found that CA could not meet its emissions reduction goal without electrifying most direct uses of gas and oil. Electricity constitutes about 15 percent of end-use energy now, and this needs to be at 55 percent in 2050. Without this, the best the state can do is lower emissions to about 50 percent of 1990 levels (210 Mt CO2e).

Source
This was inspired by my borrowing of today's Wall Street Journal.
Rbrtj is not happy with the way things are headed at all.
Occupy Wall Street will be hearing from me as soon as I post this.
Everyone please try and get their attention.

Occupy Oakland
Occupy Seattle

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Purplechive

What the hell? Trees are spontaneous combusting out side the reactor walls? Are you kidding?

concerning screen captures, if you have a PC running on Vista or windows 7 you can use the snipping tool. I know nothing about Apple or other apps though.

Thank you for that reply. A ruse? Why would they make up a stupid excuse like that? Nobody buys that. Why not just quietly dump the water? And preferably somewhere away from the site?

I suspect they are doing all of the above. Since day one Tepco has been working overtime to cover up the amount of actual contamination that the accident was producing. Why could be for many different reasons.

top topics

<< 1131  1132  1133    1135  1136  1137 >>

join