It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1133.htm
<< 1130  1131  1132    1134  1135  1136 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

I love thermal pics. They are very revealing:
The wheels of the train are clearly visible as a row of thermally hot circles . This train has recently moved. The steel wheels are large and heavy. The line of wheels is alternately white hot and blue hot. Brake shoes are made of metal and you can see the xtra heat signature from the braking on the front and rear wheels of each flatbed.

The police are probably wearing bullet proof vests under their jackets. Thats why the chest region of each one appears "blue cold" while the legs and head areas are hotter. The flat beds are not unusual. Its the containers sitting on them that are special. They are Almost indestructible and surely contain "something" that is thermally hot. These have to be some form of nuclear fuel, probably spent as new fuel is cool until exposed in a reactor. Heat rises and the tops of the containers are the hottest. Very telling that the containers this stuff is being transported in are warm to the touch, as warm as human skin judging by the people in the shot. I wonder what the counts per minute are the officers milling about are receiving? Do they even know and understand what they are guarding?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Dear Zworld-San,

of course they got Nuclear Fallout

all that nasty Stuff is somewhere and we can't deny that.

Maybe we even need to put the Nose of Neighbor 0815 into a pile of Nuclear Waste,
they need to learn it like a Baby-Dog (ummmmh? Ugly
)
Only this will create a long learning Effect!

I am in the next Week in Shinjuku for Learning (damned Kanji, i cant manage them!)
and i will take my Geiger's with me, but i doubt already now that this will create
a state of Panic in me (that would be happen above 1.20uSv/h)

We here in Japan need to face this Pollution, there is absolute no way around,
now we need to learn how to handle this!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Here is an American version of container for rail transport. Euro version would probably be similar. These containers are specially designed for spent fuel transport and are "nearly indestructible". Looks like any radiation is pretty well contained as well. Fuel rods themselves take a century to become cool to the touch even after "cold shutdown" in a reactor. Thats why all the fuel at FUKU was still in the pools in each reactor building. The rods remain thermally hot long after removal from a core or an SFP as can be seen in your thermal pictures of train cars.

source of emissions
edit on 27-11-2011 by intrptr because: source link

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Fukushima dairy farmer loses hope of returning as vegetation overruns farm

"The maximum limit is three years," Kanno said about his evacuation from Yamakiya, which has been designated as a "planned evacuation zone" by the national government. "Any longer than that, and I won't be able to return the pasture to the way it was." Weeds have grown hip high in what was previously cow pasture, and the cattle shed is entangled in vines.

The farmer quietly turned the pages of an album in his living room. One picture showed a youthful Kanno with his pregnant wife, standing alongside a dairy cow. "That was our first cow," he said. Kanno was born as the third son of a farming family in Kawamata.

After leaving for Tokyo to attend college, he decided that he wanted to lead an autonomous life surrounded by nature. He decided on dairy farming, left school without graduating and began training to become a farmer. When he married his wife in 1973, he started a dairy farm named Ayuri, meaning "life" in Sanskrit.

The air radiation level at the farm is approximately six microsieverts per hour. The Cabinet approved a basic policy on radiation decontamination on Nov. 11, but it is still uncertain when the actual decontamination will begin.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

Nuke fears may spread faster than radiation

There are the measurable aspects of Tohoku's ongoing tragedy — so many becquerels or sieverts of radiation, so many million tons of rubble, so many trillion yen worth of damage and losses of various kinds, so many weeks, months, years or decades before cold shutdown, decontamination, reconstruction, resettlement and economic recovery are achieved.

Then there are the immeasurable aspects.
Radiation in the air, soil, food, water and sea has psychological as well as physical effects. "Every day I think of radiation accumulating in my child's body," a 36-year-old Tokyo housewife tells the monthly magazine Takarajima.

Most experts say Tokyo is safe — but most experts said nuclear power was safe. Do experts know? Can experts be trusted? Many people no doubt suppress their fears and get on with their lives.
---
Surveying the issue from Tohoku to Tokyo, Sunday Mainichi finds no more than 20 percent of municipalities testing school lunches for radiation. Tokyo's 23 wards are relatively solid in that regard (42 percent of Tokyo's municipalities test), but the Tohoku region, the heart of the crisis, seems astonishingly lax (Fukushima 10 percent, Miyagi 8 percent). "It's like Russian roulette," said the mother of a Chiba Prefecture first-grader.

"To be honest, we could have done better," admits a Fukushima City official. "Until summer the city didn't even know that testing equipment was available.

www.japantimes.co.jp...

Demand change: an open letter to Japan's rising generations

f you're like my 17-year-old, then you probably already know just about everything there is to know, and reading this column you'll likely just say: "Yeah, right, whatever," or "So?"
But if you have a few minutes, younger readers especially, please bear with me.

As a father, professor and environment journalist, I am seriously concerned about our use and abuse of our planet Earth, soon to be your planet Earth. With the human population growing, marine resources dwindling and every inch of our planet touched by human-made chemicals and waste, I'm less than optimistic about the state of the world you will soon inherit. From a different perspective, however, we can say that your generation is facing the most exciting challenges of any generation in history.

www.japantimes.co.jp...

Mysterious Radiation Identified by Nuclear Officials

he source of a mysterious radiation detected in Europe was unknown until Thursday. Amounts of iodine-131 were detected across Europe including Austria and the Czech Republic. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) believes that after four weeks of investigation the source is a Hungarian factory producing medical isotopes. Continue reading on Examiner.com Mysterious Radiation Identified by Nuclear Officials - Chicago Homeland Security | Examiner.com www.examiner.com...

German police clear huge sit-in at nuke protest

German police say they have cleared a sit-in of thousands of protesters attempting to block a shipment of nuclear waste and have detained 1,300 people. Police said hundreds of officers started evicting protesters from the rail lines near Dannenberg in the north of the country early Sunday.

www.seattlepi.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

In Germany this was the last Castor-Transport, this Castor is imo. relative safe
at least what i saw years ago in our TV but i remember also that a few years ago
the Union of the Police claimed the Radiation is too high for the People who protect
that Transport!

This Protest have a very long tradition, i think around 25 years
and every transport from France to the "Endlager" is a Weekend
full of Fun, Work, Tears, Protest, hot Tea, Fear and Love,
in the Winter it is really cold and Water Canons are dangerous as hell
and in the Summer this get a Festival Character

I think they should bring this Castor to Fukushima for the Spend Fuel,
that would reduce my fear and the danger a lot!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

intrptr, excellent reply. Thanks much. Do you have any idea on the range from light to dark might be. Im guessing its night time and a cold night to boot, but dont know really. It would be interesting to get an idea of how hot those containers are.

And you're absolutely right. these were supposed to be reprocessed fuel rods, but since Germany has decided to abandon nuclear power they are being shipped back as spent fuel instead. I forgot that unused rods arent hot. Does this apply to reprocessed fuel as well. Probably huh?

The thing I find interesting is that the dark areas are so dark, yet the containers are emitting pretty intense heat signature. If it was night with the train in motion as it appears, wouldnt the outside of the containers on a cold night have cooled considerably. And if so, I wonder what the heat signature would be if they had been stationary.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
@ zworld,

the fuel had a temperature of 400-500 celsius
when they load the castor
(cask for storage and transport of radioactive material)
the castor itself get (or should) not above 85 celsius!
edit on 27-11-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
reply to post by zworld

Dear Zworld-San,
We here in Japan need to face this Pollution, there is absolute no way around,
now we need to learn how to handle this!

Dear Human-San. At least the people of Japan are beginning to realize this fact. In the US we have areas that have received more radiation than areas in Japan, and are about to start seeing the first bits of debris arrive on our shores, yet we cant get our govt to test anything at all, other than token tests that are designed to show we have nothing to fear. Just raising the issue of needing regular ongoing testing can get derogatory remarks thrown ones way. And we are the country that created nuclear power. Heaven help us when we have a similar accident, which all odds say will indeed happen one day (and probably sooner than later), because the NRC has done nothing, I repeat....nothing! to further safeguard our dilapidated plants. If the lessons of Fukushima have been hard to learn for those in Japan, the entire incident has fallen on deaf ears here in America, to the point where it seems like it didn't even happen.

Back in the 60s we used to have a saying "all the losers are grooving'. What was meant by this was that once one has been knocked off their high horse, they can then just be themselves and learn to groove. Japan has been knocked off it's high horse, and is learning to adapt. In America, TPTB are so high in the air that when the fall comes I fear its going to be more a case of Humpty Dumpty with no one able to put the pieces back together again. In other words, crippled beyond repair, an end to America, and all because we couldnt control our government from running roughshod over the will of the people.

I hope Japan can recover and recover quickly to once again find its place in the sun. And I hope Americans will learn from your lessons. I kinda doubt we will though

edit on 27-11-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

RADIATION WATCH 2011

[color=Cyan]The total number of days between Friday, March 11, 2011 and Friday, November 25, 2011 is
253 days.

[color=9AFEFF]The radiation poisoning of we, the people, our children, pets, food, water and our land
has continued unabated - 24/7/365
[color=Chartreuse]
- for 8 months, 8 days ... which is:

• 22,464,000 seconds
• 374,400 minutes
• 6240 hours
• 37 weeks (rounded down)

Are we any closer to a solution to this 24/7/365 disaster/fiasco than we were last week at this time?

If not, why not, one ponders, seemingly alone...?

Please, Dear Reader, post here your gleanings about the sanctity of life on precious Mother Earth and what is being done to preserve it for all to see and share.

BTW, what is the justification for nuclear power plants today?

What was the justification to begin this escapade into nuclear madness?

'Atoms For Peace'

For as long as there has been federal control of nuclear research and materials, there has been an interest in using commercial nuclear reactors as a source of materials to make weapons. In the early 1950's, it was recognized that the weapons program would require more plutonium than could be furnished by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC).

One suggestion, made by Dr. Charles A. Thomas, then executive vice-president of Monsanto Chemical Company, was to create a dual purpose plutonium reactor, one which could produce plutonium for weapons, and electricity for commercial use.

As in "Agent Orange" Monsanto?

(...) Miamisburg was the site of one of the first post-war U.S Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) facilities, beginning in 1947. The Dayton area had supported numerous secret operations for the War Department during World War II.

As the war ended, the majority of these operations were moved to the Miamisburg Mound Laboratory, which was operated by the Monsanto Chemical Company.

[color=Cyan]The Mound Labs were to monitor all aspects of the US nuclear defense stockpile. source

Interesting job to "farm out" to a chemical company.

A 1951 study undertaken by the AEC concluded that commercial nuclear reactors would not be economically feasible if they were used solely to produce electricity; they would be, however, if they also produced plutonium which could be sold.

Utilities themselves were only mildly intrigued with the notion of being able to produce "too cheap to meter electricity," and [color=Chartreuse]only so long as someone else took over the responsibility for the waste products, and indemnified them against catastrophic nuclear plant accidents.
(...)
By "dual-purpose" we mean that the plants would be primarily for the production of power but would also would produce plutonium for military purposes as a by-product. In our judgment, these plants...would be justified from an economic standpoint only if a substantial value were assigned to the plutonium produced."

So, how much is that?

Each year a typical 1000 mega-watt (MW) commercial power reactor will produce [color=Chartreuse]300 to 500 pounds of plutonium -- enough to build between 25 - 40 Nagasaki-sized atomic bombs. ... source

Folks, you just can't make this stuff up!

(...) It takes about 15 pounds of plutonium-239 or uranium-235 to fashion a crude nuclear device. The technology to enrich the isotopes is available for about one million dollars.
(...)
In an inventory taken between October, 1980, and March, 1981, the U.S. government could not account for about [color=3BB9FF]55 pounds of plutonium and 159 pounds of uranium from its weapons facilities.

The explanation given for this Missing material was "accounting error" and that the materials were "stuck in the piping." (...) source

Only a couple hundred pounds of the most deadly substances on the planet goes missing
in a six-month period. One might wonder about the true amount that went missing in the subsequent 30 years ...

Not to worry.

Nothing to see here.

This is not the plutonium you seek.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

I will direct my comments to your question about temperature gradients in thermography. Although not an expert, I know enough to say that thermal imaging is displayed as a difference of temperatures. Whatever mode you select on the imager will convey an image based on the difference between temperatures in the field of view. There is ambient background which is displayed differently in both your pictures of the train. Everything in view that has a similar background temperature is shaded green/blue here and slight differences (less than 1 degree C or F) are highlighted with the visible (to our eye) color spectrum. So the sky temp. is slightly different than the ground temp. and the buildings, roofs, etc. The reading on scale to the right is the range specified by the settings on the imager. Hotter is upwards to white like in visible light.

Quite clearly we can see the containers on the train are about the same temperature as the faces or heads of the police personnel in the foreground. That would mean about body temp. Considering the thickness and shielding of the containers it is any ones guess how hot the fuel is inside those containers. The visible signature is hotter than the signature from the space heaters in the passenger car (bottom left).

The fuel rods are being transported to storage somewhere after service in a core and "cooling" in a fuel "pond". They are still residually hot however as this image shows. They may be reprocessed down the line. Here is a link that helps describe terms of fuel cycle.

source of emissions

edit: Hey zworld... I just found an interesting test video. The container in this video bears an uncanny resemblance to the thermal image on the railway cars. Is this the very cask contained therein?

Google Video Link

edit on 27-11-2011 by intrptr because: additional video from google

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

What was the justification to begin this escapade into nuclear madness?

Good post Thor...
I wish I could find the senate committee hearing footage early on when the Corporations were testifying about the benefits of nuclear power. A spokesperson held up a glass of water and said something like, "If we could utilize all the energy derived from this one glass of water in a nuclear reactor we could power america for a year." He likened the technology to that glass of water implying that it was "clean and waste free". It was a "new" and "clear" form of energy, thus described ever since as "nuclear". Boy, were we duped...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
And the beat goes on:

Would some please post a graphic depicting exactly where these rods are?

Did not in fact, TEPCO admit that their best guesstimate was about 18 meters below containment?

21 November 2011
Report: Scrapping Fukushima Could Take 30 Years

... A report by Japan's Atomic Energy Commission Friday recommended workers start the process of removing melted nuclear fuel rods from the damaged reactors within 10 years.  But it said completing the process would likely take three decades.

Methinks TEPCO just might be a tad bit disingenuous here, considering that the estimate on Sellafield is 100 years ...

...[color=3BB9FF]The process will take more than a century. ...

21 November 2011
Radioactive cesium blankets 8% of Japan's land area

Some 8 percent of Japan's land area, or more than 30,000 square kilometers, has been contaminated with radioactive cesium from the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

Spanning 13 prefectures, the affected area has accumulated more than 10,000 becquerels of cesium 134 and 137 per square meter, according to the science ministry. ...

24 November 2011
Tokyo to Accept Debris from Miyagi Town

The Tokyo metropolitan government said Thursday it will accept for disposal some 100,000 tons of debris from the disaster-hit northeastern Japan town of Onagawa, Miyagi Prefecture, between next month and March 2013. ...

The Tokyo government plans to accept a total of 500,000 tons of debris from Iwate and Miyagi Prefectures by March 2014.

23 November 2011
Decontamination work at homes in Fukushima not going well as radiation lingers

Work to decontaminate homes and yards in a district here is not proceeding as hoped, as radiation levels persist and decontamination workers worried about their health stay away.
Originally, there was a plan to complete decontamination work on all 367 households in the district by the end of the year, but decontamination work is now expected to take much longer.

Thirty-three companies were originally planned to take part, but due to fears about worker safety, most canceled and only two companies joined the work when it started in October. Since then contracts have been planned for 19 new companies, but the number is still 12 short of the original figure.

"Estimated costs for the decontamination work per home by companies differ from 800,000 yen to 1.7 million yen, so it has taken time to sort out contracts. Some companies have also shifted to reconstruction work," explained a city official. ...

$8,000 to $22,000 U.S. ... for ONE house.

And when you thought you had heard it all ...

A Japanese fisherman sits among debris at a fishing port severely damaged by the magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami, in Otsu town in Kitaibaraki, south of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, April 22, 2011.

25 November 2011
TEPCO: Radioactive substances belong to landowners, not us

During court proceedings concerning a radioactive golf course, Tokyo Electric Power Co. stunned lawyers by saying the utility was not responsible for decontamination because it no longer "owned" the radioactive substances.
But the court went on to say that central or local governments should be responsible for the decontamination work, given the efficiency of their cleanup operations so far.

The golf course company commissioned a radiation testing agency to check the course on Nov. 13. It detected 235,000 becquerels of cesium per kilogram of grass, a level that would put the area into a no-entry zone under safety standards enforced after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster. ...

Add insult to injury department:

25 November 2011
Japan Set to Impose Emergency Disaster Tax

Japan is readying an emergency tax hike to help pay for reconstructing the disaster-struck part of the country....

It will include a personal income tax hike for a 25-year period starting in 2013.

To be continued ...

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Your post reminded me of this...

Just how radioactive is radioactive waste? Dr. Alvarez in this interview by Helen Caldicott spells it out in a way I've never heard:

If you take an unshielded spent fuel bundle and put it on the side of the road and you drove by on a motorbike going 60mph you would fall off the bike dead before you drove past it.

In the TV series 24 there was this whole season where guys were handling spent fuel rods to make a dirty bomb by carrying them in a in coffin-sized box, 2 men loading it onto a zodiac with no protective gear at all. I laughed my butt off while I was watching it. OMG, do they really expect us to believe that, they think we are really THAT stupid I thought? So funny, until I mentioned it to folks and they didn't see the humor or the problem... at all... they had no clue it was totally bogus. Looked at me funny like I was some kinda freak, lol. They thought you could carry the stuff around like that and what did it matter anyway, it's just a tv show. Most folks have no clue, not even a inkling, of just how deadly and toxic radioactive waste is and almost everything they see or hear reinforces their belief that the dangers are overblown. Of course, this is exactly what the nuke industry would prefer and has worked toward, a complacent, uneducated, misinformed and misdirected public who won't raise a fuss while their world and future generations become poisoned, weak and genetically mutated.

From 24, Fox..

Aw, Jack, where are you when we need you?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

"Houston We Have A Problem..." Unit 2 Temp...

Reactor Suppression Chamber:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Not sure if malfunction...but other temps rising also:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Some more info:
fukushima-diary.com...

- Purple Chive
edit on 27-11-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

Don't know where the rods are, may be similar to these pics of Chernobyl "elephant foot" in sub basement. One congealed very NUclear thermal hot mass of nasty:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Japanese will have at least as much trouble taking similar photos of their "Godzilla foot" where ever it may be "down there".

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

What the hell? Trees are spontaneous combusting out side the reactor walls? Are you kidding?

􀉾10/7􀊙 Continuously implementing water spray using water after purifying accumulated water of Unit 5 and Unit 6 to prevent spontaneous fire of trimmed trees and diffusion of dust.
􀉾As of 5:00 pm on November 26, the indicator of the gas temperature of Suppression Chamber of Unit 2 read
52.7􀋆, but at 11:00 pm on the day we confirmed that it read 􀁬Overscaled􀁺 (digital recorder). Then, as of 5:00
am on November 27, it read 102.6

www.tepco.co.jp...
edit on 27-11-2011 by intrptr because: added link

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Are those silly trees bursting into flames again?
I guess that means the basements are full again.
More thermal film from Germany.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Interesting YouTube... You can actually see the individual fuel rods laying horizontal in their casks. Interesting that the temperature of the vent on the diesel engine is cooler than the surface of these casks. Even more interesting is how you are going to tell me how you captured a .jpg image from a YouTube video? Pretty pleeease?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

What the hell? Trees are spontaneous combusting out side the reactor walls? Are you kidding?

Thats a ruse. Tepco is using it as an excuse to dump untold gallons of rad water north of R6 in the guise of fire protection.

concerning screen captures, if you have a PC running on Vista or windows 7 you can use the snipping tool. I know nothing about Apple or other apps though.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Im going to have to go over that stuff closely. What is being reported so far doesnt make sense. Bit of a head scratcher it is. Is the gas pressure area in an enclosed room separate from the rest of the S/C. There must be some kind of separation. Hmmmmm.

Both the DW and SC acting up. They started to reduce water flow in order to lessen the creation of hydrogen. But the spike and stair step pattern of increases wasnt what was expected I dont think. Ill go to school and try and figure this one out.

Id ask the brainiacs over at PF for help but thats a worthless endeavor these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1130  1131  1132    1134  1135  1136 >>

join