It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 113.htm
<< 110  111  112    114  115  116 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

edit on 15-3-2011 by pforkp because: turns out the stuff I posted was already said

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
CNN asked the same question I did WHY do they store the spent fuel on the roof? Now that spent fuel will get radiaction from the leaks and cause it to heat up again, That is just stupid

link   

Last Defense at Troubled Reactors: 50 Japanese Workers

A small crew of technicians, braving radiation and fire, became the only people remaining at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station on Tuesday — and perhaps Japan’s last chance of preventing a broader nuclear catastrophe. They are the faceless 50, the unnamed operators who stayed behind. They have volunteered, or been assigned, to pump seawater on dangerously exposed nuclear fuel, already thought to be partly melting and spewing radioactive material, to prevent full meltdowns that could throw thousands of tons of radioactive dust high into the air and imperil millions of their compatriots. They struggled on Tuesday and Wednesday to keep hundreds of gallons of seawater a minute flowing through temporary fire pumps into the three stricken reactors, Nos. 1, 2 and 3. Among the many problems they faced was what appeared to be yet another fire at the plant.

www.nytimes.com...

link   
Let me repost the link to discussion of the financial aspects of Japan's disaster that the moderator provided a few posts ago. This one is the "nuclear" one.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You guys help me out is anybody working at the plant now, or did they split down ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rancher1
You guys help me out is anybody working at the plant now, or did they split down ?

Nobody left. Too much radiation....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rancher1

I'm not sure. It sounded like they're back, but the reporters are talking as if they're not allowed on the plant grounds yet.

I'm not sure if it was bad translation or if the reporters are confused, or what.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by rancher1

Nobody left. Too much radiation....

I think what was on CNN was a re-broadcast of earlier today.
I just watched the press conference on NHK, maybe I mis-heard the details, I would have sword they said there was still a crew there (maybe back there again, after being evactuated earlier)?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Around here, "suspended operations" translates to "got their happy butts outta there".

It sounds like Fukushima is now vacant.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

yup it is smoking I just posted that on the previous page

1000 milliseiverts reported at gate at 8am confirmed in president's press release just finished It is still showing every few minutes on www.livestation.com...

Righ now Japanese Bank has infused 26.5 trillion yen to keep the economy alive

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Terrible news. All work has stopped.

The last 50 left.

Radiation forces work to stop at Japan N-plant

Japan's top government spokesman says that a surge in radiation means workers are unable to continue even minimal efforts at a stricken nuclear plant.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Wednesday that work on dousing reactors with water was disrupted when workers were forced to withdraw after radiation levels surged early in the day.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 3/15/2011 by Erasurehead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Around here, "suspended operations" translates to "got their happy butts outta there".

TheRedneck

I understand why they would want to bail, But crap this is bad news who is going to watch that sh#$%^ ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

See, it seems as if they said that they were about to resume water pumping operations now that the radiation levels have dropped for a bit. They also said they were going to start investigating the leak in #3.

However, the reporters were acting as if no one was in the plant when asking questions ("I know TEPCO employees are not allowed on the site yet").

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

TheRedneck

This is the true sign that it is over.

link   
This is all that's left of #4, the one that's JUST gone sky-high.

i1176.photobucket.com...

link   
Thread has been posted.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Okay folks this is it, if this is true then now you can worry.. the SJHTF!

If there are no efforts to cool the reactors then meltdowns (with a s) are assured... We could literally have hundreds of tons of extremely radioactive core material meltdown, through the reactors, the containment vessels, the containment floors, into the environment and possibly contact with underground water where it all goes BOOM.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Why cant they get a couple of drones circling around getting photos of the plants? I do not even see this as an option by anyone. Get some eyes in the sky that will not die from radiation exposure. I find it hard to believe that there is no way to monitor the area. Sacrifice a few unmanned craft for intel.

Any input?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
A wider-angle shot of that #4 reactor image.

epcan.us...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rancher1

No one.

This is what I have been trying to explain: once the reactor cracked, containment was lost and cooling capability was lost. You cannot cool the fuel rods without water. You cannot keep water in the reactor. Therefore, the fuel rods will experience a total catastrophic meltdown. That means radiation doses that are lethal within minutes, and heat that is also lethal within minutes. That chunk of liquid uranium is a 500+ megawatt heater right now with radioactive exhaust. And that much heat and radiation, combined with the inability of anyone to remain on site, means the other reactors will in turn go critical and experience a breach and accompanying meltdown as well.

No one can stop this. No one. It would be as easy to put out the sun itself. All we can do now is watch, wait, hope as many people are saved as possible, and try to make sure we are all prepared wherever we are in case radiation makes its way offshore.

This is a total, catastrophic, runaway meltdown.

TheRedneck

new topics

<< 110  111  112    114  115  116 >>

join