It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1111.htm
<< 1108  1109  1110    1112  1113  1114 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
We have 5.65 uSv/h in Kashiwa city.

And Tokyo Bay seems to be reading a lot higher.
www.infiniteunknown.net... m_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+InfiniteUnknown+%28Infinite+Unknown%29
To M. I thought about your challenge to send Arnie some bread. Money is tight, you know. I decided instead to splurge on a dosimeter and a Flip cam to post readings on u-tube from my neck of the woods. I had been thinking about it for quite a while, but your challenge tipped the scales, so thanks! A friend on FB from Seattle has also decided to do the same so hopefully the civilian network just grew by 2 outposts.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

"Hole" in Unit 2....TBS Web Cam...is that steam coming out?

Put on full screen...
news.tbs.co.jp...

11/05/11, 3:27 AM Japan time.

Anyone know of a TBS capture site?

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Nothing special. Just wanted to make sure I posted on page 1111 on 11m/11y ushering in the 11th hour before the dawning. Its an 11 thing.

And Human, do not let fear take over your life. Stay strong and keep aware, but by all means take breaks from this insanity. A trip to the woods or the coast can do wonders to the soul. Like PC once said, the plutonium aint going anywhere and neither are we.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Talk about bullsh!t. Tepco is out doing themselves these days. The recent release of Xenon has caused a controversy around the net over whether criticality has occurred. Forgetting for a moment that Tepcos reply that its too small an amount for criticality doesnt take into account that the fuel may not be contained, the report they brought out is very telling for another reason.

The following is from
www.tepco.co.jp...

If the Unit 2 fuel is in the critical state, Xe135 concentration is observed 4 orders of magnitude larger than current level. Therefore, present state is not considered critical.

OK, so what about the findings on Aug 9 when they found Xe-131m at 3.8 X 10¹ to 4.7 X 10¹ Bq/cm3 in the lower floors of Unit 2. This is 5 orders of magnitude greater. So according to Tepco's analysis criticality has occurred. Am I missing something?

PS I posted this question at other forums and have received no response. Many people are trying to prove criticality is not going on, yet refuse to look at the obvious.

Thank god for all of you. I dont think there is anyplace else where the discussion has progressed as far. So much more to learn, and only time will tell, but at least we arent stuck in the past.

ON EDIT: At least we will never have to put up with this kind of BS ever again. From Alby Reid, a typical nukie.
wordpress.mrreid.org...

nuclear power is – by far – the best solution to the problems posed by anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions and that it’s clean, safe and reliable too.

It’s impossible for “another Chernobyl” to occur. The reason that the explosion at Chernobyl was so significant is that Chernobyl didn’t have a containment dome and this meant that the explosion that occurred wasn’t contained. Nobody builds reactors without containment domes anymore.

There is no doubt that what happened at Chernobyl was a horrible accident. But it wasn’t as horrible as you think.

Chernobyl is the only Level 7 accident ever to occur, more than twenty years ago. The most recent Level 6 event was in 1957. The most recent Level 5 event was Three Mile Island (which killed noone) in 1979.

When was the last time you heard of a nuclear accident? Japan and France are the second– and third-largest generators of nuclear power in the world. Can you name a French or Japanese nuclear accident? Before I started talking could you have named a nuclear accident other than Chernobyl?

Wow. and to think they got away with that sh!t for years. Hope Alby has a back up career.
edit on 4-11-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Strontium 90 Levels: Holy Crap Batman!!

June 13th North Water intake Canal: Sr-90 = 40

www.tepco.co.jp...

October 10th North Water Intake Canal: Sr-90 = 250

www.tepco.co.jp...

Looks like Sr-90 levels the highest they have ever been detected:

June 13: Sr-90 = 40
www.tepco.co.jp...

July 11: Sr-90 = 170
www.tepco.co.jp...

August 15: Sr-90 = 150
www.tepco.co.jp...

September 12: Sr-90 = 92
www.tepco.co.jp...

October 10: Sr-90 = 250
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 4-11-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

And that converts to 250,000 Bq/cm3. Interesting.

PC, have they been releasing these readings of Sr all along. I never noticed. Please tell me Im not totally blind.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Always Brilliant. Potrblog. I've seen the northern lights many times in the years I worked in the far north. I've never seen red or even orange.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by zworld

You have to look at the reasons why this testing data was released now. As I have said before there has likely been ongoing fission with intermittent criticality all along. This is consistent with how TRN said that corium would behave. Remember criticality is simply fission = nuclear chain reactions. At a certain rate(sustained) = criticality. Corium will pulse, reach criticality and not be able to sustain it, and so on for a long long long long long time.

IMO, the fact that this data is being released is simply to prime us for a larger disclosure coming. ...

.....The discovery of an atomic reaction that can produce a nuclear explosion comes amid rising concerns about possible contamination after another radioactive hot spot was discovered in Tokyo on Oct. 29. It’s possible there are similar reactions occurring in the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors, the other cores damaged at the station, Matsumoto said.

Bloomberg

And yes, I believe we have a hole in #2 from what I can see of the analysis in here. Not the darker patch (which I think may be them trying to cover the view with trees), but the lighter irregular patch to the right.

Wertwog you have this bang on right in my (I guess not so humble
) opinion. There is a mass of evidence and some expert opinion pointing to a melt through of the containment vessels in not only reactors No 1 and 3 but also 2. Suggestions from TEPCO talk about No 2. reactor as if it is still an enclosed containment vessel is pure propaganda or BS which ever you prefer. The implication is they can still achieve a 'cold shutdown' once they get on top of things. In other words we are supposed to believe the out of control situation at Fukushima with three cores out of the box is one able to be controlled. So what's to make of the barrage of news reports not to mention the November 5th editorial in the Mainichi Daily? MAINICHI SHIMBUIN

Still, we mustn't let down our guard. The government and TEPCO need to find out why the fission has occurred and take appropriate responses. TEPCO has injected boric acid into the No. 2 reactor to prevent it from reaching criticality, but more may need to be done.

The corporation are urging the JAPANESE GOVERNMENT AND TEPCO to inject boric acid into the reactor. Hold up. There needs to be containment for that to work.

It is spin of course. They need to give reason to the evidence of ongoing fission obscures the much more likely scenerio that No. 2 also has dropped its core, and is now a useless broken containment vessel sitting above a pulsating blob of core somewhere deep in the ground below. Why this focus on No. 2. if they allow people to accept No. 1 and 3 have already dropped their corium mass? Because they need to show things are being done to control the situation - when in reality just one China Syndrome in progress is bad enough, not to mention the even more significant threat of No. 4 toppling with its massive load of fuel rods/poolium.

Excuse me for stepping back from the technical detail of fission processes run amok again. But this is an important step to take to realise why the situation is being handled in the way it is.

One thing we can be certain of, this is all tied up with the economic situation Japan is now facing. The government and corporations are faced not only with reconstruction costs following the tsunami but also a massive loss of profit as a direct result of the tsunami damage to infrastructure. Japan is totally dependent on its exports and without markets it has no way at all of avoiding the odious certainty of borrowing more money.

Back in September this year the governing DPJ was urged by the Japan Business Federation, a powerful organisation within the country, to insure less corporate tax, lower labour costs, and to maintain the nuclear energy industry, The advice came in the form of a paper they released 'Growth Strategy 2011'. Japanese governing bodies are very worried about the potential for mass public unrest. In fact, it is probably a future certainty.

Hence, the effort to obscure the real situation resulting from the nuclear meltdown in Fukushima, by not only TEPCO but from the Japanese corporate body as a whole. Public unrest = loss of profit. The reality is no one in Japan is able to profit from the ongoing catastrophe in Fukushima. If there is any rationality in the responses to the mess it lies in the effort to obscure reality in order to allow more time to grab whatever can be grabbed in profit while the grabbing is time is still there.

There is one other reason. I mentioned this earlier when posting the historical story behind Japan's nuclear industry. It is essential for the ruling elite in Japan to maintain the nuclear industry in Japan. Absolutely essential in their eyes. Nuclear energy as a source of power is only part of the reason behind the massive presence the nuclear industry has in Japan. The other reason is to ensure the public remain largely behind the nation's involvement with nuclear energy research. No need to remind Japan had two nuclear weapons used against its people. The US following WW2 needed to maintain Japan as a bulwark against the USSR and therefore the strategic value of a nuclear 'loving' Japan was critical. President Eisenhower's speech 'Atoms for Peace' given to the UN General Assembly in 1954 stated as much.
EISENHOWER 'ATOMS FOR PEACE'
The Japanese predecessor to the current Ministry of Education and Science was the Department of Science and Technology established by Matsutaro Shoriki, politician and media magnet who's campaign slogan at the time was "A new industrial revolution by means of nuclear power". Shoriki also owned the Yomiuri Shimbuin, the propanganda mouthpiece for the then fascist establishment during the 1920's. During the war Shoriki was head of the Interior Ministry Department of Information, in other words Japan's very own version of Goebbels. He was at the time regarded as a 'Class A' war criminal, and was responsible for the ethnic cleansing of Koreans in Tokyo following the Great Kanto Earthquake.
SOURCE-WIKI
Since the main interest in nuclear energy for Shoriki san was to develop nuclear weaponary to enable the nation to become a military superpower once again, he quickly shook off his CIA handlers. Because the covert aim was nuclear weaponary, Shoriki san ensured Japan's first reactors were plutonium producers.
SOURCE - WSWS
ALSO - ASAHI SHIMBUIN

edit on 4-11-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
U.S. task force lays out priorities for post-quake Japan

It also called for improved communication methods and improved steps toward maintaining the population’s health in the face of a future crisis.

Anxiety about radiation exposure, the report said, “stems from inconsistent safety standards, confusing communications, a lack of adequate preparedness programs, public admissions by the Japanese government that data was withheld at points in the crisis, the discovery of multiple inland ‘hot spots’ far from the coastal nuclear plants, and a revised estimate showing that the radiation released was twice what had originally been acknowledged.”

“We think that there is a serious trust and credibility problem,” said Stephen Morrison, leader of the task force’s health working group.

==================================
yesterday 4th Nov

Government approves Y900 bil aid to TEPCO

The decision means the government will inject some 900 billion yen of public funds into TEPCO “soon” while the utility will carry out comprehensive restructuring, the official said.

“I made the approval as I concluded that the 900 billion yen is necessary,” the government minister told Nishizawa. “Since you will get a huge amount of (public) money, I would like you to carry out thorough management restructuring.”

=============================
and then today.... 5th Nov

TEPCO posts Y627.30 bil group net loss in first half

In an emergency business plan approved by the government Friday, TEPCO said it would incur the loss even after receiving 900 billion yen in public funds to pay compensation claims over the accident caused by the March 11 quake-tsunami.

In addition to cleanup costs, the company is scrambling to cope with an increase in fuel costs as it relies more heavily on expensive thermal power to make up for the lost electricity generation from its nuclear plants.
For the first half TEPCO reported an operating loss of 60.6 billion yen.

The utility posted an extraordinary loss 890.9 billion yen on a parent company basis to cover compensation for damages from the Fukushima nuclear plant.

NOTICE the bit in the last quote I have put in bold which reinforces the idea that nuclear power is cheaper and thermal more expensive - even after all this handout-money from the government.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The reason Im harping on Xe-131m is because its the daughter decay product of I-131, and where there is Xe-131m there was recently I-131. There are many reasons that would explain why Xenon shows up and not Iodine. Iodine is a very reactive chemical. This is alluded to in the Xenon report by Tepco below.

www.tepco.co.jp...

There is a possibility that the gas collected in the inlet filter contain iodine, but because iodine nuclides decayed, and no other nuclides decay. Thus, It is considered that the measurement in the inlet filter is below the detection limit due to high background level. In addition, it is considered that the measurement of I-131 in the outlet filter is below the detection limit due to adsorption of charcoal filter.

There is also the possibility that the water is too alkaline and all but the beta decay products (Xenon) are locked up in solution until it decays. Acidic pH allows radioiodine to be released as iodine gas.

All in all, the data is pretty clear. It will be interesting to see the results for R1 and R3. If the fuel is further from the core, deeper in the ground, it should reflect in the ratios we see. I just havent figured out in what way yet.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
Always Brilliant. Potrblog. I've seen the northern lights many times in the years I worked in the far north. I've never seen red or even orange.
www.youtube.com...

This is highly alarming. Not since #3 blew have I had the willies like this. The correlation can't be ignored. I haven't really seriously thought that we could potentially loose the atmosphere via this disaster since I thought we are talking mostly about the troposphere. If this is true and we are seeing beta this high up in the magnetosphere, well this is extremely bad news. I am going for a walk and playing with the dog now and try to think about pretty shoes and makeovers... you know, stuff that gurls are supposed to care about. Truth is I'm scared silly about this bit of info.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo

In an emergency business plan approved by the government Friday, TEPCO said it would incur the loss even after receiving 900 billion yen in public funds to pay compensation claims over the accident caused by the March 11 quake-tsunami.

In addition to cleanup costs, the company is scrambling to cope with an increase in fuel costs as it relies more heavily on expensive thermal power to make up for the lost electricity generation from its nuclear plants.
For the first half TEPCO reported an operating loss of 60.6 billion yen.

The utility posted an extraordinary loss 890.9 billion yen on a parent company basis to cover compensation for damages from the Fukushima nuclear plant.

If ever there was a time to nationalize, this is it. They are going to keep on pouring money into Tepco until Tepco sucks the country dry. If Tepco needs that much now, how much when they realize that the fuel is fissioning and out of containment, and they will never be able to create cold shutdown. And more and more radiation findings will occur throughout Japan. And more and more claims come in.

Cut the rope now Japan, and bury those reactors asap, while figuring how to contain the groundwater. Anything else is a waste of money.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I went to radnet to check out their beta data (has a nice ring yes beta data) cdxnode64.epa.gov... and of course its down. Typical. There is also video out that shows plutonium readings in Tuscon, from radnet, but I cant find the actual data.

It makes sense that nuclides are everywhere, especially the noble gases. It might also explain the unusual fluctuations in the artic ice cover this past summer up to now.

This is what you get from EPA if you look into beta data.

Proxy Error
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. The proxy server could not handle the request GET /radnet-public/query.do.
Reason: Error reading from remote server

edit on 4-11-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Wert I am with you. With my job situation being so out of control since BP I should not spend so much time on here as my anxiety level has increased my BP, but it would fall to normal prior to leaving the Dr's office....so I'm not on BP meds just anti anxiety meds , ADHD , & 150mcg Levoxyl for thyroid. But Bloody Hell how can you not know what's going on in the world. I don't have TV just internet. So today I got a break by going to help Artificially Inseminating sheep & they bring in a truck & do it enterscopically. I didn't get a chance to go inside to see the actual procedure since I was inducing anesthesia. Tomorrow through Sunday will be at a dog clinic where my friend Thomas Wilson won the 1st round of the World Trials in Oct & made the Semi Finals with a near perfect run & probably would have won, but his dog got fed up & took a nip at the end & he got disqualified. So this is my break & I start a new job on Monday back in my field working with animals. Wert you deserve a break!
So hopefully after a month or so my anxiety will lessen...this thread has been so GREAT in providing information with out having to go all over the place.
I am very thankful to everyone's contributions & helping me understand the situation.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Hi all, I think the "hole" is a window or vent cut into the building to view and or to spew.
Rbrtj

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Breaking, and a "minor" incident (2/5) on the RSOE emergency site. It's worth the note here, I figured, and these fly off the records day-by-day on the site, so I'll add it towards the ongoing concerns. Emphasis, my own.

Employees of a construction company remove asphalt on the road where higher than normal levels of radiation were detected in the Wolgye neighborhood of Seoul’s Nowon District, Nov. 4. The Nowon District government decided to remove asphalt from two roads and repave them after it detected radiation 10 times higher than the permitted standard for an entire year for a 24 hour exposure. The district government believes the asphalt contains radioactive materials and also suggested the Seoul City government thoroughly investigate the roads across the city. The fact that the asphalt was contaminated with radiation was first discovered by a farmer and investment consultant. Baek Cheong-joon, 42, who bought two instruments at 20 million won to measure and analyze radiation to protect his children worried of radioactive materials flying from Japan in the wake of Fukushima nuclear accident. He discovered the contaminated asphalt on Nov. 1, receiving a tip from a resident in the Wolgye neighborhood.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

This is the first time I've posted on the radiation issues in a long, long while, but for the record, imo it remains one of the most serious concerns facing us in the world today, second to perhaps nanotechnology and "elite" corruption that began the problems in the first place.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

Good to see a ranger, very versatile and knowledgeable about a wide variety of topics.

Yep, this particular genie is a nasty bugger and i don't know if we'll ever be able to get the stopper back in that particular bottle. I don't know how it has managed to completely ensnare the minds of those who have the power to do the most damage to our planet, but it certainly seems to have done so.

The thoroughly documented corruption in this industry leaves me with the inescapable conclusion that our leaders, who are supposed to protect us, are being lead and thus not doing their jobs. The lapses in safety standards as evidenced by the tritium admitted to in our (US) waterways (not to mention our neighbor's who also receive a bit of that goodness) only serve to highlight that this technology is not economical or safe as currently practiced.

The vast amount of apathy (where anyone even knows about this disaster) is testament to the success of the techniques used to desensitize and numb the population into a state where nearly anything will be accepted, be it the poisoning of the Gulf of Mexico or the entire Pacific Ocean, the jet stream, indeed the whole of the northern hemisphere.

You find a few fighting for the cause of the earth, but far too few when you look at the scale at which it is being poisoned in the name of profit. We have to find a balance and seek to reach that level with our world. It all boils down to control of energy in it's various forms. Or rather the illusion of control and that illusion's propagation.

Are we stuck in too deep a rut to get out of?

I hope not.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Save the children of Japan from radiation

A petition is being presented to Japanese Consulates and Embassies worldwide. A partial list of the cities participating include London, New Delhi, Hong Kong, Munich, Osaka, Paris, New York City, Washington DC and San Francisco. The petition appeals to the Japanese government to protect the children of Japan by evacuating them from highly radioactive areas. Bianca Jagger, Founder and Chair of the Bianca Jagger Human Rights Foundation, will be hand delivering the petition to the Embassy of Japan at 101-104 Piccadilly.

www.teatronaturale.com...

FUKUSHIMA DISASTER LIKELY TO HAVE LIMITED IMPACT ON GLOBAL PUSH FOR NUCLEAR POWER, EXPERTS SAY

The following information was released by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS): The crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear electricity generating facility, touched off when a tsunami hit northern Japan, has achieved the "key milestone" of cold shutdown where the temperature within the damaged reactors is below the boiling point of water, said Gregory Jaczko, chairman of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). There is still some potential for some amount of steam to develop, which can in principle have some very low levels of radioactivity in it, Jaczko said in a recent appearance at AAAS. But those pose no real threat to public health and safety.

The nuclear disaster caused significant nuclear contamination in the area around the reactors, and many years and millions of dollars will be required for clean up. But Jaczko and former NRC Commissioner James K. Asselstine suggested that the long-term impact on global nuclear energy might be limited. While nations may pause in their pursuit of nuclear power, they said, demand for new plants would likely expand in the long term.
www.power-eng.com... rts-say.html

Fukushima: The first 24 hours

IEEE Spectrum has a big special feature online now about the Fukushima nuclear disaster and its after-effects. It includes an interactive map showing the impact that Fukushima has had on evacuation of residents, contamination of soil, and contamination of food and water supplies. It also includes a blow-by-blow account of what happened during the first 24-hours of the disaster. This solid investigative reporting by Eliza Strickland highlights several key points where simple changes could have lead to a very different outcome than the one we got.
boingboing.net...

U can go directly to:

Mapping Fukushima's Impact on Japan

spectrum.ieee.org...
edit on 5-11-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thank you for good and kind words.

I'll also add that it seems entirely unfair that we don't have access to free energy, that the moguls who have the political power generally stomp out good designs, demoralize through disinformation, or otherwise prevent us from freely exercising this throughout society. One poster stated that we could have cars that produced so much excess energy that they could be plugged in at the end of the day and fuel the city. Or another example, construction of gravity panels on freeways would and could produce a tiny amount of electricity for every car/truck that passed over it, rebound through hydrolics, or even springs, and power the city that supported them. It sure would beat road tolls on 'adopted" highways! But the one fear they have about about free energy, besides money, seems to my mind to still be valid : if you gave free energy to the masses, the airwaves would be so clogged with wi-fi, subliminals, radio-waves, microwaves, and what-have-you that we would have many brand new problems on our hands, unless it had effective watchdog agencies or enforcers to control the technology.
Yet, put it in the hands of responsible people and it could all work out.

In the meantime, the nuclear facilities exist primarily as weapon processing plants, and the advertising of megawatts to citizens is only the public sellout. One third of the State's nuclear facilities can apparantly not withstand an earthquake similar to Japan's 7.1 or 7.2, so how long before reality catches up with the logic of Occam's razor on that vital safety point? And also meanwhile, how long must we wait on this very real fear/concern, knowing that stress is the number one killer among humanity, and that stress levels of 7.4 or above can unlock diseases in our systems? So Grace under Pressure, and God Bless. Let's find the solutions we need to these pressing problems, and may all countries follow Germany's proposed path of completely abandoning nuclear power, and not China's watered down solution of switching to a less harmful, but still potent, radioactive material.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Tears....

Radioactivity in Fukushima children's urine

The levels of material detected were mostly between 20 and 30 becquerels per liter, slightly above the detection limit. The highest was 187 becquerels in the sample of a one-year-old boy. The firm says there has been no internal exposure that could affect human health.

National Institute of Radiological Sciences Director Makoto Akashi says that although those test results need verification, they do point to the possibility of internal exposure in Fukushima children.

And then this unbelievably STUPID statement:

He added that the level of internal exposure would not increase if one eats food tested for radioactivity.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Tears are streaming down my face right now....I am a mommy...

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
A friend of mine, whom lives in San Diego, just advised me what she found at the local Nijiya market: fresh octopus from Fukushima.
Frightnening!

new topics

top topics

<< 1108  1109  1110    1112  1113  1114 >>

join