It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 111.htm
<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Apparently, 70% of fuel rods may be damaged at one reactor and another 33% are damaged at another.
Article

Also Wednesday, Japan’s nuclear safety agency said 70 percent of the nuclear fuel rods may have been damaged at another Fukushima Dai-ichi reactor that was first stricken last week, triggering the crisis. “But we don’t know the nature of the damage, and it could be either melting, or there might be some holes in them,” said an agency spokesman, Minoru Ohgoda.

Japan’s national news agency, Kyodo, said 33 percent of the fuel rods at a second reactor were also damaged.

Theyre either melting or have holes in them they say. Im not sure what the difference is, but I would guess its bad either way.
edit on 15-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just a few minutes ago from AsiaOne.

Fukushima reactor shell breached

PARIS - THE concrete vessel around the No. 2 reactor at Japan's Fukushima plant, designed to contain radioactive debris, is 'no longer sealed,' Andre-Claude Lacoste, head of France's Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN), said on Tuesday.

The confinement vessel, made out of reinforced concrete, surrounds the steel vessel that houses the nuclear reactor. It is designed to contain radioactive gas or dust, preventing them from being expelled into the air.

The operators of a crippled nuclear power plant may pour water into the overheating fuel pool in the No. 4 reactor within two or three days, the plant operator said. It did not say why it had to wait two or three days.

Wait a few days? Why?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Maybe till they find that one guy willing to go in to do it?
I sure would not

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

# DailyYomiuri The new smoke from the Fukushima nuclear plant is reportedly coming from the No 4 reactor. #jpquake #jishin 7 minutes ago via web

# Steve Herman W7VOA The white smoke has been coming out for about 20 minutes now. 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Evidently more white smoke at Fukushima. Blowing out to sea at the moment.

China announces it will start radiation checks on Japanese goods arriving at ports and airports.

And the news about reactor 2 is very very very bad....

Time to do a ``Chernobyl-like tomb`` around it.... START TO POUR CONCRETE IN THERE.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I can't fathom why they are still trying to spray seawater with a reactor breach. I am surprised the emergency crew doesn't say screw this, I am out of here.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Typically, white smoke is steam instead of smoke. But in a nuclear power plant, there are many sources of water that can produce steam besides the reactor. There isn't really an exact way to tell from afar what is producing the steam, but other surrounding events can be clues. Highly radioactive steam, for instance, would be from the reactor (or possibly a pool); steam from an equipment coolant line would not be radioactive. A reactor would also produce massive amounts of quickly rising steam if it contained much water when it ruptured, since everything in the reactor would flash at once.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by buni11687

Maybe till they find that one guy willing to go in to do it?
I sure would not

Where are those guys from Hamas and Al Qaida when you need them?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The smoke is coming from MOX fueled reactor 3!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Fuji TV is reporting white smoke is from Daiichi reactor No. 3

-Reuters

That's a lot of smoke / steam on tv right now.
edit on 3/15/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

well not to go all nerd but i think this quote sums it up

" The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
These guys just must be the type to be unselfish and truly good humans with lots of compassion

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

* NEWS ADVISORY: Smoke rising from Fukushima's No. 3 reactor: nuclear safety agency (10:32)
* BREAKING NEWS: Smoke rising near Fukushima nuke plant from 10 a.m.: NHK footage (10:24)

Live ticker at the top of Kyodo News

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Looks like it's venting pretty good. It appears to be steam, but the helicopter's too far away to see much in detail.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

I have been looking on youtube for a link.. would you happen to know of one? I want to see. & God help them and everyone this is going to effect. Radiation poisoning in my opinion is the worst way to die. I'd rather be slow roasted. MOX fuel is horrible.. thousands of times more posion than uranium and is not detected on Geiger.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by projectvxn

Ow-che-wa-wa!

I had not even considered that effect until now. Do you have any information on how many of our bonds they are holding? Because you are right; they will have to sell them off, and I have no idea how we are gonna pay for that.

In reality, the USA will be paying for the damage, just to repay what we owe them. Prepare indeed!

TheRedneck

The Japanese hold $885.9 billion in US bonds. Calling in even ten percent of that would topple the US sovereign debt market. The Chinese have already been drawing down their US debt holdings and just last week, PIMCO the LARGEST private holder of bonds ANYWHERE dumped ALL of their US bonds with exception to 12 year and under notes.

The Japanese are expected to draw on these bonds and when that happens financial apocalypse begins in America. No, I am NOT fear mongering. This is reality folks.

edit on 15-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Ok, I will try thinking outside the box now.
If the radiation is too high to allow using helicopters to drop water or borates on reactors/burning fuel assemblies...
What if smart weapons were to be loaded with borates or some other appropriate neutron moderator and dropped pinpoint on the target.
No explosives, think JDAM full of borax.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by rancher1

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Ow-che-wa-wa!

I had not even considered that effect until now. Do you have any information on how many of our bonds they are holding? Because you are right; they will have to sell them off, and I have no idea how we are gonna pay for that.

In reality, the USA will be paying for the damage, just to repay what we owe them. Prepare indeed!

TheRedneck

They won't sell all our bonds they will use them as collateral to get cash, Japan owns a lot of our Bonds we have been selling them are debt for awhile. Also a lot of buyers came into the market about lunch time, Also there was huge gold selling today as well as Oil.. If the worse case happens to Japan the Market will front run that move before you have a chance to give a excellent analysis of it.. That's just how it works,,

I disagree.

Japan, regardless of market strength, is heavily in debt. They are in the hole 223% of GDP. We are 100% of GDP just about.

They can't afford to NOT call in those bonds, and when push comes to shove, they WILL sell those bonds and tell the US to piss off.
edit on 15-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xxPUSH0Noo

The best constant source I have found

www.ustream.tv...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

That could very well happen. Someone needs to make a thread about the world-wide economic ramifications this disaster is going to have. Would be kinda premature since we don't know the outcome of the nuclear situation, but in the end this might be known more for the global financial tsunami it could cause, rather than the actual physical damage.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
20 MINUTES AGO

www.livestation.com...

top topics

<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join