Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
My NHK isn't working... Anyone have another live site that might?
Or another link for NHK?
Thanks tons...

Now back to the thread...

link   
Radia tion readings:

At 10 am Portal 6.65μSv / h
10:20 am Portal 180.2μSv / h
10:30 am Portal 385.5μSv / h
10:40 am Portal 162.9μSv / h

link   
Here is from Associated Press, 5 minutes ago:

"Japan says meltdown possible at nuclear plant"
www.ajc.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Here its is (in Japanese, but with a Google-Translate link) ... Jiji News ...
Primary or core meltdown in the discovery of cesium in the vicinity of the first-Hukushima - NISA

Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry on August 12, the first nuclear power plant damaged by earthquake Toukyoudenryoku Hukuzima East (town Ookuma Fukushima Futaba town) in Unit 1, soluble in hot fuel rods "meltdown" has occurred likely announced.

According to NISA, No. 1 around the detection of radioactive cesium on NIRS team. Cesium is contained in nuclear fuel rods, because of its high melting point, it is estimated that the likely cause meltdown.

Hopefully, an English-language news-source will pick-up a better translation soon.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Yep, looking like a worst case now, apparently cesium has been detected www.godlikeproductions.com... jibtv.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by strangeness

I see your "God Like Productions", and raise you one "AlJazeera"...
Japan fears nuclear plant meltdown

... seriously though, good article from AlJazeera.

Japanese nuclear authorities said that there was a high possibility that nuclear fuel rods at a reactor at Tokyo Electric Power's Daiichi plant may be melting or have melted, Jiji news agency reported on Saturday.

edit on 2011-3-12 by EnhancedInterrogator because: formatting.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Translation to more conventional (older) units………

At 10 am Portal 0.665mR / h
10:20 am Portal 18.02mR / h
10:30 am Portal 38.55mR / h
10:40 am Portal 16.29mR / h

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The plant's operator, the Tokyo Electric Power Company, tells AFP: "We believe the reactor is not melting down or cracking. We are trying to raise the water level."

www.bbc.co.uk...

Without enough power for cooling systems, decay heat from the reactor cores of units 1, 2 and 3 has gradually reduced coolant water levels through evaporation. The consequent increase in pressure in the coolant circuit can be managed via pressure release valves. However, this leads to an increase in pressure within the reactor building containment. Tepco has said that the pressure within the containment of Fukushima Daiichi 1 has reached around 840 kPa, compared to reference levels of 400 kPa.

The company has decided to manage this "for those units that cannot confirm certain levels of water injection" by means of a controlled release of air and water vapour to the atmosphere. Because this water has been through the reactor core, this would inevitably mean a certain release of radiation. The International Atomic Energy Agency said this would be filtered to retain radiation within the containment.

However, the company's monitoring of Fukushima Daiichi 1 has separately shown an increase in radiation levels detected emerging from the plant via routes such as the exhaust stack and the discharge canal.

Over the last several hours evacuation orders for local residents have been incrementally increased and now cover people living within ten kilometres of the power plant.

www.world-nuclear-news.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Not that Japan isnt suffering in agony right now, but....
I was thinking of those ww3 incindiary balloons they launched at the N American continent....Some of those balloons made it all they way here on the prevailing winds.....Why not radiation?
Though perhaps not lethal, im sure it wouldnt be healthy should it spread this far to the pacific northwest or even Caifornia.
Any one have an idea how bad this could be here on the west coast?
This is the rainy season here....with lots of weather comming from that direction.......

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Wait a minute ... are you trying to inject "facts" into this thread?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I found those videos of japans last nuclear meltdown on wikileaks. I guess it was a different one. Monju.
www.wikileaks.ch...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This whole situation is now giving me and eerie feeling and I am genuinely worrying now. I would like to go to sleep and wake up to it still being intact.....

Right now they say it's a thousand times elevated level of normality inside the reactor at Fukushimi and eight levels above normality outside by the main gate. A main concern of mine if it did eject radioactive materials is the proximity of the sea. Water table contamination seems almost likely and the news is still out on the other reactors.

Israeli Arab Libyan American extremist etc etc they all seem rather trivial now don't they

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Good find, mind you im functioning on bare instinct and information hunger now, brain drops in and out of consciousness but the eyes keep reading. google.co.uk... plenty of stories on it now..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ctankep
Israeli Arab Libyan American extremist etc etc they all seem rather trivial now don't they

Yes they do. Especially when (if only briefly), FoxNews and AlJazeera are saying the same thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Meltdown could already be occuring at plant #1. I hope not.

URGENT: Concerns of core partially melting at Fukushima nuke plant

The core at Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant's No. 1 reactor may be partially melting, the nuclear safety agency said Saturday.

Radioactive substance cesium was detected around the reactor, it said.

==Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp...

Radioactive substance cesium is released when the nuclear rods begin to melt.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Kyodo is reporting now 1000 times normal inside the control room and 70 times normal at the main gate.

english.kyodonews.jp...
edit on 3/12/2011 by JackBauer because: link addition

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Yeah, that was a whole-'nother category of reactor too.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

Yeah, seems like all the news sources are picking-up what the Japanese languages sites have been saying for a while.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I found those videos of japans last nuclear meltdown on wikileaks. I guess it was a different one. Monju.
www.wikileaks.ch...

It wasn't a nuclear meltdown, instead the secondary sodium loop had a rather significant leak. Sodium burns on contact with air. This reactor is completely different to the one at Fukushima.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

When Chornobil was smouldering the cloud of radiation travelled far and wide. It dumped caesium and strontium over arable land in the United Kingdom. It also hit the eastern seaboard of America.France on the other hand covered up this fact and denied it was over french territory. Today part's of Wales in the United Kingdom are is still monitored for traces of caesium and strontium in the livestock there. ( A few farms were given the green light last year).

With the Japanese reactors they operate at higher capacity, rough estimates are 12 times more than Chornobil was.

I'm not advocating worst case scenario, after all what is the worst case? Wind direction , speed and amount of material leaked. We can just watch and pray friend.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join