It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1081.htm
<< 1078  1079  1080    1082  1083  1084 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Japan nuke companies stacked public meetings
North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy
Updated October 03, 2011 11:00:46

News article

www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-03/japan-nuclear-companies-stacked-public-meetings/3206288

related transcript

www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3330624.htm

An independent investigation in Japan has revealed a long history of nuclear power companies conspiring with governments to manipulate public opinion in favour of nuclear energy.

One nuclear company even stacked public meetings with its own employees who posed as ordinary citizens to speak in support of nuclear power plants.

"The number one reactor has been operating for 30 years and I've never had a problem selling my rice or vegetables because of fears of radiation," a man posing as a farmer told a gathering of citizens discussing a proposal to use plutonium fuel at the Genkai nuclear plant on the southern island of Kyushu.

The man was not a farmer at all. It turns out he is an employee of the Kyushu Electric Power Company, the operator of the Genkai nuclear plant.

In another meeting aired live on TV after the Fukushima meltdowns, the company asked viewers to email in questions.

But again, the questions were all written by the company and sent in by employees posing as ordinary citizens, and these emails urged the company to restart reactors left idle after the Fukushima disaster.

(...)

edit on 3-10-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Sexy Lingerie?

You can literally see-through the Unit 1 covering...

- Purple Chive

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Binghamton University, State University of New York

www2.binghamton.edu/news/daily-news-briefs/dateline/

(...)

Helen Caldicott to Speak Oct. 10

Helen Caldicott, MD, will speak on "Lessons from Fukushima: What role should nuclear energy and natural gas extraction play in our energy future?" at 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 10, in the UU-Mandela Room. Co-founder of Physicians for Social Responsibility, an organization of 23,000 doctors committed to educating their colleagues about the dangers of nuclear power, nuclear weapons and nuclear war, Caldicott was named by The Smithsonian as one of the most influential women of the 20th century. She has has authored seven books, including "Nuclear Power is Not the Answer" (2006) and "A Desperate Passion: An Autobiography" (1996). Her most recent book is the newly revised and updated "If You Love This Planet: A Plan to Heal the Earth" (2009). Sponsored by the Student Environmental Action Coalition and the Environmental Studies Progra, Broome County Peace Action and the Sierra Club, Susquehanna Group. Free and open to the public. The talk will be preceded at 6:30 p.m. by a free concert by folk musician Janet Burgan. A book signing will follow.

(...)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
vimeo.com...
Arnie's latest.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
vimeo.com...
Arnie's latest.

Looks like Arnie is giving up his cloak of moderation and showing off his old guy 6 pack. He's right. These things need to be said, and hopefully will raise some awareness about the issue. One point he stresses, and I agree, is that these problems aren't specific to Japan/JapGov/Tepco/NISA etc. The INDUSTRY is the problem and these issues could be found in any country.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I like Arnie. He's brought us tons of info, and he's a voice people listen too. But I part company when he starts talking about a few more cement casks, and fixing the most twisted system on earth. He should know better than most people, that the NRC/Operators will just loop-hole their way out of serious change. In a sane world, every reactor on earth should have been issued a phase-out date on March 16th. I think they've proven they have no right to exsist. But, like I say, I like Arnie.
Ok, we have 4700 drums full of sludge at 100 Trillion [Is that right? Yes it is], 100 Trillion Bequerels per litre
enenews.com...
And we have continuing re-criticality
enenews.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

This is something I bet not to many people know about if it is true.

Comparing radioactive waste to industrial toxic waste

In countries with nuclear power, radioactive wastes comprise less than 1% of total industrial toxic wastes, much of which remains hazardous indefinitely.[69] Overall, nuclear power produces far less waste material by volume than fossil-fuel based power plants. Coal-burning plants are particularly noted for producing large amounts of toxic and mildly radioactive ash due to concentrating naturally occurring metals and mildly radioactive material from the coal. A recent report from Oak Ridge National Laboratory concludes that coal power actually results in more radioactivity being released into the environment than nuclear power operation, and that the population effective dose equivalent from radiation from coal plants is 100 times as much as from ideal operation of nuclear plants.[84] Indeed, coal ash is much less radioactive than nuclear waste, but ash is released directly into the environment, whereas nuclear plants use shielding to protect the environment from the irradiated reactor vessel, fuel rods, and any radioactive waste on site

I feel like I'm stuck in an X file
Thanks for the heads up Wert.
Nice to hear from you Des.
Source
Rbrtj

edit on 4-10-2011 by rbrtj because: forgot to say hi to Des

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Non Existent Nuclear Safety: Profit and Power

No one who has taken any interest in the world around them should be surprised by Arnie Gunderson’s latest video, Nuclear Oversight Lacking Worldwide, released by Fairewinds yesterday. Whether you are talking big pharma, big agriculture, big energy, big mining, big forestry, or big banks, the established mode of operation in our world is the same. It is all about profit as an end by any means and, lest we forget, power to control. It’s a revolving door between regulators and industry.

“Stakeholders” sit behind closed doors with bureaucrats writing the laws and the regulations. Then they self-test and self-report, often on a voluntary basis. They lobby and buy our representatives in government who subsidize their industries with taxpayer dollars for the “economy” and “jobs”. They manipulate the mainstream media (perception management) with onslaughts of opinion pieces based on junk science which has been bought and paid for. They can afford to do this because they have virtually all the money. And they justify it all as being in the public interest.www.pacificfreepress.com...

Exodus of doctors, nurses adds to Fukushima Pref. woes

Since the start of the crisis at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, hundreds of doctors and nurses have resigned from nearby facilities, according to a survey by an association of Fukushima Prefecture hospitals. Their departures have resulted in some hospitals in the prefecture suspending nighttime emergency care and other treatment services, the association said. The survey found that 125 full-time doctors had resigned from 24 hospitals in the prefecture, or 12 percent of all doctors working at those institutions. As for nurses, 407 had quit from 42 hospitals in the prefecture, representing 5 percent of the nursing staff at those institutions.www.yomiuri.co.jp...

U.K. expert says limits on radiation 'unreasonable'

The government should relax restrictions on the amount of allowable radiation in food and also rethink its evacuation criteria for Fukushima Prefecture, site of the world's worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl, a British physics professor said Monday. "The real problem is fear," Oxford University professor emeritus Wade Allison said at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan in Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo.

Citing the doses of radiation received in medical procedures, such as CT and PET scans, Allison said Japan's standard — which bans the sale of food containing more than 500 becquerels per kilogram of radiation and requires the evacuation of areas receiving 20 millisieverts a year — is far too conservative.

Allison insists that he has no ties to the nuclear industry.

search.japantimes.co.jp...

Who is him (Wade Allison)?

Source:

My Opinion: Cancer is, imo. not welcomed, the normality in the World,
every second Death is because of a Cell-Deformation which lead to this Disease!

The question is: Do "i" accept this or not!

The modern Food, the "Background Radiation" (normal as well as medical)
and all the toxic Waste make Cancer unavoidable!

Yes, compare to the US Japan hold only very low Levels of Radiation acceptable
(Japan 500Bq a Kg, USA 1.200Bq)
Japan is on a good way, it is normal compare to the US, this should be not changed!
edit on 4-10-2011 by Human0815 because: Format

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Pine Trees/Evergreens dying...

fukushima-diary.com...

EFFECTS OF IONIZING RADIATION ON TERRESTRIAL PLANTS AND ANIMALS: A WORKSHOP REPORT

Pine trees were the most sensitive of the biota examined. Where dose rates to needles were 5–10 rad/d or higher, complete mortality of pines occurred within 2 years. At lower dose rates, a variety of sublethal effects were observed.

www.esd.ornl.gov...

- Purple Chive

edit on 4-10-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

'The red forest' of Chernobyl is supposed to have been caused by ionising radiation as well.
Picture here:
www.frogstylebiscuit.com...

I've been wondering why this is not more apparent around the Fukushima area.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

'The red forest' of Chernobyl is supposed to have been caused by ionising radiation as well.
Picture here:
www.frogstylebiscuit.com...

I've been wondering why this is not more apparent around the Fukushima area.

With time...

www.houseofjapan.com...

www.washingtontimes.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Tepco fights to keep nuclear emergency procedures secret

Six months after the meltdowns at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear station, the Japanese utility that owns the plant is fighting to keep its pre-disaster emergency-response procedures a secret from politicians and the public, arguing they contain valuable trade information. Tokyo Electric Power angered members parliamentary committee last month when it handed over manuals outlining steps that its nuclear plant operators are meant to follow in the case of accidents.

More:

Thyroid gland irregularities found in young evacuees from Fukushima/ Here we are

Hormonal and other irregularities were detected in the thyroid glands of 10 out of 130 children evacuated from Fukushima Prefecture, a Nagano Prefecture-based charity dedicated to aid for the victims of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident said Tuesday. The Japan Chernobyl Foundation and Shinshu University Hospital did blood and urine tests on youngsters aged up to 16 including babies under the age of one for about a month through the end of August in Chino, Nagano, when the children stayed there temporarily after evacuating from Fukushima.
More:

Cooling Problem Shuts Nuclear Reactor in Japan

In a fresh blow to public confidence, a reactor in southern Japan went into automatic shutdown on Tuesday because of problems with its cooling system, clouding the outlook for an imminent restart of the country’s idled nuclear plants.Source:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Pine Trees/Evergreens dying...

fukushima-diary.com...

- Purple Chive

Do not forget that the whole Area is saturated with Salt from the Tsunami
as well as the green Stuff (forget the name)

(a lot of Pine Trees died because of the Tsunami)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Nearly six months after the tsunami that devastated northeastern Japan, officials won’t let anybody — not even photographers or tsunami survivors — go near the tree. While his colleagues in blue uniforms and masks operate giant cranes and trucks, a stern official closed a gate and hollered, “Get out of here,” at a driver who stopped to take a brief look at the forlorn tree.

Quote from Washington times article above.

I can understand protecting the tree, however that sort of attitude is pretty over the top for merely observing it. I got told off in Japan for filming in public, in a train station - as they can be camera shy but jiesh.. perhaps it's a bit more than just salt damage on that tree. That's what the ATS in me says anyway

edit: wouldn't salt damage take out most non sea hardened foliage if this is the case? Same old story of cell walls and osmosis I presume. I'll forward the fukushima diary link on to dad, he has a forestry degree (which involves mostly pines here in NZ) and for many years lectured on horticulture, could help us clear this up quick!

edit2 here's the link for the PDF where I sourced the high water level diagram from a page back, cheers PC for originally posting it. Apologies as it is not from the tepco site but cryptome. cryptome.org...
edit on 4/10/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

I don't know,
i just read some Articles about the Pine Trees from a very famous Tsunami Video/ Pic
("The Takamatsubara Pine Tree" very famous here.),
only one Tree survived the Waves but is dying now because of the Salt!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Come to think of it, all coastal situated pine trees that I've seen are usually above on a high cliff or back from the sea, never close to the sea edge. You may well be right. This doesn't explain the Tokyo plants though - see what info dad gives us and go from there

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Yup...Steaming...

Good job Nuckelchen...

- Purple Chive

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I switched back to my Homer in a panic avatar to match my facebook account.

New gov't panel plans to revise Japan's energy policy

The panel's deliberations are important as they will "probe a road Japan will take over the next 100 or 200 years," Economy, Trade and Industry Minister Yukio Edano told the first meeting of the group yesterday. The panel, newly created under the energy advisory committee of the industry ministry, is tasked with reviewing Japan's basic energy plan that calls for greater reliance on nuclear energy, revised just last year. It envisages nuclear power accounting for 53 per cent of all electricity generated in Japan by 2030 from about 30 per cent before the March 11 disaster.

"Since the (Fukushima) accident, citizens' opinions and their trust on nuclear power have changed substantially."

Source

‘Sobering’ Results: Ocean currents keeping radiation from being diluted — Highest cesium values not necessarily closest to Fukushima

Source

Rbrtj

edit on 4-10-2011 by rbrtj because: moved source link to right spot

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Suicide boom in post-nuclear Japan

Here is something that really urks me.

“Some people do evacuate,” says Komae Hosokawa, a nuclear sociologist. “But the problem is they are the minority and they have been accused by their neighbors, by their classmates and of course by official personnel that they are causing unfounded anxiety among people, which is not good.”

RT
Shame on you Bullying Idiots !!
Rbrtj

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This is regards to the Robot Video....as most of you know this has been one hell of an educational experience for me. So glad Silver & others are back! I watch the videos posted here on the you tube link in the max screen...as I think you can get a better view. So starting around 47 sec into the video watching the middle screen possible crack in the floor, trying to go by frames (stop & play) ... The floor does not appear to be normal...especially at 50 sec ...it looks like it has been forced up on the left side or the right side has sunk.
Even at the 1 minute point the appearance of a possible crack ends right around the the cage....

I'm Just asking in order to learn & don't want to take up everyone's time over nothing. Also at about 3:30
or 3:45 plus, in the middle view the dark spot on the left floor, going frame by frame appears to show
the white spots (I think I learned from Silver way back, indicating HOT) like the "Cat Walk", sorry I'm sure you are all tired of hearing that...
Much thanks to ALL of you for ALL your hard work & dedication as you are greatly appreciated!!
Cheers
Ektar

top topics

<< 1078  1079  1080    1082  1083  1084 >>

join