It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 108.htm
<< 105  106  107    109  110  111 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Im watching CNN on cable tv right now and the ticker on the bottom of the screen says some US Navy crews have been exposed to "elevated levels" of radiation.
edit on 15-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I have hope the people left at the plant will be able to bring down
some of the radiation and I honor them for their bravery. With the
radiation level 10 times above normal in Tokyo I would think down
the line a lot of these people will suffer with Cancer. Very sad!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by leisas4

There are fears that the fuel rods in two of the reactors are being rapidly damaged as they remain exposed due to the failed injection of coolant.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

In the NHK video, the gov't official they are quoting (didn't catch the name), confirmed that the electrical systems (generators, batteries, etc.) used to run the cooling systems at Fukushima Daiichi plant was "submerged" by the tsunami.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another reactor exploded fire now enrages..

TSHTF worst crisis since WWII

on.cnn.com...
edit on 15-3-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Did I see a report saying that the Japanese government had declared some kind of censorship executive power earlier today? Article 15 of the constitution?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Fuel rods damage at Fukushima's 2 reactors estimated 70%,33%:TEPCO

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by leisas4

Fuel rods damage at Fukushima's 2 reactors estimated 70%,33%:TEPCO

english.kyodonews.jp...

So a 70% + a 33% meltdown?

Doesn't mean much really... if they are damaged 30% or 70% doesn't mean squat... they both have to be replaced.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Thanks for that!
That's a pretty-good video, better than anything I've seen on other MSM so far!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Did I see a report saying that the Japanese government had declared some kind of censorship executive power earlier today? Article 15 of the constitution?

They are tasked with preventing mass panic and complete chaos for as long as possible... It is an island, millions of people, severely damaged infrastructure... They must keep people calm for as long as they possibly can.'

It is the cold reality of this situation... They may not be completely forthcoming with all information, or perhaps even attempt to minimize the actual severity of the situation in order to prevent a complete and uncontrolled panic, mass evacuation.

They haven't given up hope of gaining control of the situation, and assume that saving lives will also require preventing panic.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another reactor exploded fire now enrages..

TSHTF worst crisis since WWII

on.cnn.com...
edit on 15-3-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

This is the very fire we've been talking about for a few pages....at reactor 4...or are you saying there are reports of yet another since the one that began a couple of hrs ago ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I was not going to reply to this thread any longer after being bashed for warning about some folks being what I considered alarmist.

But....this talk of " radiation suits" has made me change my mind.

First off, there is no such thing as a "radiation suit" . No human being would be strong enough to wear a suit built to protect him/her from any dose of dangerous radiation....particularly gamma or neutron radiation. Lead, concrete, some plastics, steel in combination protect power plant workers from the radiation produced by a nuclear power plant. Even with all of these materials combined there are stay time requirements for people who work around and monitor the plants. Those stay time are based on the quarterly and yearly control levels/limits established by the operating organization.

Secondly, these suits are (far from protecting the wearer from radiation) anti-contamination clothing. They protect the wearer from being contaminated by radioactivity which may be located on the the surfaces of things he
touches or walks on. And in the case of airborne, the people would wear hepa filtered respirators to limit
internally deposited radioactivity.

Again....these suits DO NOT protect a person from radiation exposure.

Edit to add.....if there was such a thing as a "radiation suit" I would own one and use it almost daily.

The only things that can protect a person from radiation exposure is time, distance, and shielding.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Hugues de Payens because: Edit to add info

edit on 15-3-2011 by Hugues de Payens because: Sorry for the broken lines....the iPad is not user friendly when needing to scroll through an inserted window.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
2320: The Japanese government is now saying the fire in reactor 4 is "under control", according to the AFP news agency.

Well that was quick work, if it's true

BBC live

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The Insurer weighs in. The effected plants all have tsunami and earthquake exceptions. How nice.

insurancenewsnet.com...
edit on 2011/3/15 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Breaking: TEPCO says it is considering dispersing boric acid over the No.4 plant from a helicopter

Reuters

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hugues de Payens

Well they could have a radiation suit... if it was made in depleted uranium... depleted uranium is the BEST way to block radiation.

From wiki...

depleted uranium 0.08 (halving thickness in inch)

I wonder why they have not made such a suit... ah yes, density... 19.1 g/cm3

Ok I fail... my post was about a water suit... but it seems DU is way better.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

link   

Well they could have a radiation suit... if it was like a ``balloon of water`` around the person... water is very good at blocking radiation.

But then, wearing that would be weird.... not to only to see... but if anything is pierced, you are screwed.

Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. How many gallons would it take to protect a person from a dose of radiation?

link   
reply to post by Kennit

I don't know if its a good option or only option that has some disadvantages? Could someone give more info on boric acid and what happens and may happen if they work out this plan?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Agreed, and good post.

Some of the suits do have a lead lining, but they are super-heavy and really do not have enough lead in them even at that weight to provide much shielding. The little bit they do provide might extend exposure time some, but they do not make a person impervious to radiation by any means.

Well, except in the movies. Somehow they seem to work better in front of a camera,

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hugues de Payens

Well they could have a radiation suit... if it was like a ``balloon of water`` around the person... water is very good at blocking radiation.

But then, wearing that would be weird.... not to only to see... but if anything is pierced, you are screwed.

Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. How many gallons would it take to protect a person from a dose of radiation?

Well, if memory serves, 10 feet of water should be enough to block gamma rays.

So, if we encased you in a bubble of 20 feet in diameter.....you should be okey-dokey.

top topics

<< 105  106  107    109  110  111 >>

join