It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1079.htm
<< 1076  1077  1078    1080  1081  1082 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by Regenstorm

It appears that #1 the explosion happened outside secondary containment so the blast wave would have ripped through the pool firstly whatever was in the pool would have been crushed to powder from the hydraulic pressure and then been dazzlingly spread all-over kingdom come as the water vaporized ( water pressure being ten times less than that of air at the same volumne) and expanded super rapidly ,

in #3 the explosion seemed to take place between the secondary containment and the primary containment core ( although it could have come from the primary ) in either event the most of the water (if there was any) would get venturi sucked up with the initial plume a couple of micro seconds before the blast wave would hit the bottom of the pool , so I would expect large chunks of debris with a moderate amount of powdered material.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
I have been lurking and keeping up with the thread a cpl times a week.

I haven't contributed that much since way back because things have essentially settled down (to the extent a busted 6 reactor array pumping out petabequerels of radioisotopes can be said to be settled down) and have gotten into rather specific aspects of reactor design which is honestly WAY outside my lane.

I will be in to comment the next time things go BOOM though and to refute, if necessary, any wildly misleading info

Any new info on the CBIRF team? Are they out of Japan now?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Lifting Exclusion Zone...Plutonium...and Criminals

Everyone involved in OK'ing that the Exclusion Zone be lifted should move to this area with all of their family members and live there!!

ex-skf.blogspot.com...

fukushima-diary.com...

It's criminal!!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Any Lawyers out there?

This is one hell of a convoluted TEPCO press release...but it appears that TEPCO is going to be so F'ing gracious as to extend the payment dates of the electricity bills for the folks in the "No-Go" zone.

○Extention of payment due date at the new site This will be applied based on the customers' offer, in the case that the customers who have evacuated from the area to which evacuation order etc. have been directed from March 11 and who are eligible to permanent indemnification, enter into electricity supply contract in the our supply area.

Payment due date of electricity bill (30 days after the following day of meter reading) will be extended for 9 months (payment for March, 2011),

8 months (payment for April, 2011), 7 months (payment for May, 2011),
6 months (payment for June, 2011), 5 months (payment for July, 2011),
4 months (payment for August, 2011), 3 months (payment for September, 2011),
2 months (payment for October, 2011), and 1 month (payment for November, 2011) respectively.

www.tepco.co.jp...

Please correct me if I interpreted this convoluted TEPCO announcement incorrectly!!

- Purple Chive

edit on 30-9-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
fukushima-diary.com...
It seems we have Stontium 89 as well as 90 showing up in the 50 mile radius.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Some great pics and graphics of the 9.0 Earthquake!

Big document - 434 pages...

www.meti.go.jp...

On Edit: Page 166 pics of Unit 4 pool from underwater...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

2,400 Bq/k C-134 & C-137 Marine Soil over 50 kilometers south of Daiichi

Dang!! Onahama Port.

www.tepco.co.jp...

And hit hard by tsunami.

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I don't post on this thread much,but I thought I might bring this to your attention.
On this sitefukushima-diary.com...-FucR.twitter

And on the comment section below.

I am a retired N.Physicist and I can tell you ALL that something went array on all the reactors up until today. The plan “B” should have been implemented within a WEEK of the core issue, cement, cement, cement! But nothing has happened since that horriable day. We all still talk about Chernobyl and the guts that went into sealing that place up, those are the REAL heros because they knew their life was over within a year while working on pouring the cement to seal that place up. NOTE: Whatever you read on CNN/MSNBC Etc, all a bunch of crap. This is the most serious issue in the last 70 years and no one covers it. Those isotopes will stay longer then anything else on this forbidden planet. They will not dissipate over time, over length of travel etc. It’s sad to see this when we know what they can do. The have their own energy source (themselves) and will not burn out until 1,000 or years down the road. I am glad to see someone posted a site about this travesty. Taking Iodine for ANYONE in the world is highly recommended. Not to much, but enough to cover your ass. When I mean world, I mean you and you and YOU. I am 68 now and my whole family is taking it. I just wish the world had balls like the ole Russians had back in the day and they knew what HAD to be done. I will get back to watching the ball game now. GHE Reply

I wanna agree, but the Russians covered up just as much if not more.
If it were not our nuclear testing sensors we might of never found out and or they might of not acted so fast.
At least this time around and hopefully in the future we will have the internet.

We miss you anyhow SFA you don't need to be a nuclear physists to comment here, we miss your insights on things you do know and can talk about.
Semper Fi,

One last thing since I mentioned nuclear sensors, I'm wondering also how bad the Fukushima disaster has screwed up our ability to sense nuclear testing in the future and wonder if not this is not another reason for not doing a Chernobyl cement job.
The possibilities for horror this damn thing brings, now that we are not so ignorant, should also be fully investigated and brought to light..
Folks really need to sit down and research who they are voting into and keeping in power.
Fuku- the TPTP
Rbrtj over and out

edit on 30-9-2011 by rbrtj because: pardon the rant

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Gee, maybe meti should have put this May 14th pic of #4 on P 166 of that PDF?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Fukushima’s Contamination Produces Some Surprises at Sea

Six months after the accident at Fukushima Daiichi, the news flow from the stricken nuclear power plant has slowed, but scientific studies of radioactive material in the ocean are just beginning to bear fruit.

green.blogs.nytimes.com...

Fukushima's radioactive sea contamination lingers

Levels of radiation in the sea off the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant remain stubbornly high six months after the earthquake and tsunami struck Japan on 11 March. After levels peaked at around 100,000 becquerels per cubic metre of seawater in early April, much of the radioactive iodine, caesium and plutonium from Fukushima was expected to rapidly disperse in the Pacific Ocean.

Instead, it seems that the levels remain high. That could be because contaminated water is still leaking into the sea from the nuclear plant, because currents are trapping the material that's already there, or both. Ken Buesseler of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Massachusetts, has told The New York Times that he has received samples of seawater taken in July from near the plant that contained 10,000 becquerels per cubic metre. The corresponding level last year, only months before the disaster, was just 1.5 becquerels, he says.

www.newscientist.com...

Japan Panel Confirms Nuclear Agency's Attempts To Control Public Opinions

An independent panel advising the Japanese trade and industry ministry confirmed Friday that the ministry's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency was involved in attempts by utilities to manipulate public opinion on nuclear power. Read more: www.foxbusiness.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Interesting Contraption...

Wonder what they do with the canisters when they are full?

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Sunrise at Fukushima

Rbrtj says Howdy

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

The corresponding level last year, only months before the disaster, was just 1.5 becquerels, he says.

WAS JUST 1.5?
Meaning that plant was leaking before the accident.
Unforgivable
Rbrtj

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

AFAIK nuke plants always leak, they are allowed to vent radioactive krypton all the time, which is probably why Fukushima has such tall stacks. Cancer rates around these horrific things are always higher for some strange reason, if they were so safe then that wouldn't be a problem right?

Thanks very much Wert for finding those posts, you must have some sort of psychic google/ATS link to be able to do it :p

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Chiba incineration plant to suspend operations due to high levels of radioactive substances

The move is believed to mark for the first time in Japan that a waste disposal facility will halt operations due to nuclear contamination, and the Environment Ministry says it has no record of such a suspension.

While the Nambu Clean Center is equipped with a new incinerator, the city says, the other incineration factory is old and radiation levels are below the national level even if it burns the same amount of garbage as the new one and produces a larger amount of incinerated ash. As a result, city officials said, the old incineration plant will also burn garbage from the Nambu Clean Center.

Source:

Press miss the point at antinuke demo

Japanese television isn't very good at reporting breaking news, which is why coverage of the Sept. 19 demonstration in Tokyo was negligible on the day it took place. NHK included a two-minute report on its local 6 o'clock bulletin that made it look like another holiday festival, and there was absolutely no mention on the nationwide 7 o'clock news. In the following week, however, many news programs ran features on the demonstration, concentrating on celebrities: Nobel prize-winner and rally organizer Kenzaburo Oe giving a speech; former high-profile TV commentator Keiko Ochiai marching with a banner; actor and anti-nuke activist Taro Yamamoto as a "special guest."

TV Asahi's morning news show pointed out that it was the biggest demonstration since the early 1960s, when young people took to the streets to protest the U.S.-Japan Status of Forces Agreement. When a reporter interviewed Ochiai about the Sept. 19 demonstration, the 66-year-old writer said, "My generation will soon be gone." What she meant was that the future didn't belong to her cohort and that younger people would have to live with the dangers of radiation; but given the emotional context of the reporting, it sounded like nostalgia for the good ol' days.

Source:

Fukushima plant crisis could erupt if water injection stops for 38 hrs

Tokyo Electric Power Co. has released an estimate that says if water injection at its stricken Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant stops, its fuel rods could start melting in 38 hours, causing radioactive substances to spew out.

The utility said, however, it can resume watering at the Nos. 1 to 3 reactors in three hours at the most in case the plant is hit by another earthquake and tsunami matching the scale of the March 11 disaster that caused their core meltdowns. The estimate said the temperature of the fuel, now believed to have solidified at the bottom of the reactors' pressure vessels, would rise about 50 C each hour and reach its melting point of 2,200 C in about 38 hours.

The reactors would then start emitting massive amounts of radioactive substances, raising the radiation level around the plant's premises above 10 millisieverts, the benchmark for prompting an order to evacuate.

Source:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

mat
if you have something to add beside your opinion of other people political or personal relationships to the topic we would appreciate it, and possibly be able to benefit from your "expertise" , military analysts have to form very concise (unless the are in one of the black vents) reports , meaning your post have NO informative value on the 'Chomsky scale' , (i.e. no one has learned anything from you, except your forced opinion), if you have some science to throw out way we might start listening

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by Human0815

The corresponding level last year, only months before the disaster, was just 1.5 becquerels, he says.

WAS JUST 1.5?
Meaning that plant was leaking before the accident.
Unforgivable
Rbrtj

We are living on a Radioactive Planet since the beginning of Time,
imo. (I am not a Prof.!) the 1,5 Bq is just "Noise"
but Japan, the US, Russia, the Mafia, GB, France, the Germans
all used the Sea as a cheap Dump Ground
for Nuclear Waste until:

Many decades ago, radioactive materials were disposed at off shore locations at sea. However, the United States signed the London Convention in October 1993. This international agreement, which remains in force until 2018, bans disposing of radioactive materials at sea.

Source:

edit on 2-10-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

2 english links to complement those 3 japanese links

Kyodo - Data released about plutonium found in soil outside Fukushima plant
(Mainichi Japan) October 2, 2011

mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20111002p2g00m0dm020000c.html

Plutonium detected outside Fukushima plant: government
by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) Sept 30, 2011

www.terradaily.com/reports/Plutonium_detected_outside_Fukushima_plant_government_999.html

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Guys, just back yesterday from the woods where I was computerless. Will take awhile to catch up. Trying to learn the new image system. Have much to share.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by zworld
Guys, just back yesterday from the woods where I was computerless. Will take awhile to catch up. Trying to learn the new image system. Have much to share.

Z - Glad ur back!! A little worried - you contribute so much to the thread. My two week escape this past July, technologically encumbered - helped a hell of a lot in the head!! When I did my master's thesis umpteen years ago on ubiquitous computing...the God "Technos"...had my doubts it would come to fruition...but it has. A challenge nowadays to find environs to escape.

Anyhow, glad ur ok...

- Purple Chive

new topics

top topics

<< 1076  1077  1078    1080  1081  1082 >>

join