It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1070.htm
<< 1067  1068  1069    1071  1072  1073 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tallone

Thank you, I agree that the NRC are influenced by the pro nuke lobby just as much if not more than both political parties.
It might be a good idea if we made all power a public owned utility.

Rbrtj

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Any one know if they mean salt or fresh water from runoff, aquifer, sewer etc?????
I didn't see where they said it was fresh water or salt water.
Rbtj

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Absolutely, nuclear power plants must become public owned utilities directly responsible to the public they serve. It is the only way to end the insanity of having the catastrophic threat of what are virtual dirty bombs and ensure public safety and our environment. I don't understand how so many of these concerned scientists (not all) continue to think it possible to get the nuclear industry to change their wicked ways. It isn't possible to talk a corporation into putting public good before profit.

If anyone can show there is one current private corporation anywhere in the world who are motivated by public good before profit, I will show you a tiger can be talked out of its stripes.

The history of the nuclear industry is a testament to corporate greed and political betrayal. It is the same everywhere all around the globe because institutions like the NRC, and IAEA etc do not effectively regulate the nuclear industry, and they cannot because of the nature of the system they operate in. The NRC slogan 'Nuclear Regulatory Commission, protecting people and environment' is a bad joke. The Fukushima disaster has established that fact conclusively, I would think beyond doubt at this point.

It is now clear none of the world's nuclear regulatory and advisory institutions had solutions ready for such a disaster, clearly eminent when a nuclear power plant such as Dai-ichi is built on a fault line or tsunami prone land mass, and so near to a large population. Let's not forget there are many potential Dai-ichi in Japan, and around the world..

About my post to Wertwog, I must learn to check the acronyms are correct just before posting.Ha ha. Of course. I meant the NRC. Duh. Tallone slap to forehead.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Pronounced Puff of Steam Unit 4 and Unit 2...

At 4:13 AM into this capture - Unit 4 "Puffs" suddenly and then 4:23 AM Unit 2...

On Edit --- Long Version:

- Purple Chive
edit on 20-9-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Typhoon Roke...

See how cover on Unit 1 holds up.

classic.wunderground.com...

Japan taking one hell of a beating from Mother Nature...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

My apologies Folks...steam event on web cam...

I do believe they are water droplets hitting the camera....and not a sudden steam event.

Oh well...a good thing!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Where is Ken Feinberg???

Residents furious over 60-page application, 160-page manual for TEPCO compensation

mdn.mainichi.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

My apologies Folks...steam event on web cam...

I do believe they are water droplets hitting the camera....and not a sudden steam event.

I saw yesterday above Unit 3. a small steam of Fogium,
there is something going on!

Today i will send a Letter to Tepco and say that i feel ashamed of their Gardening

Next Month we cant see Unit 4 and the Buildings behind anymore!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by Purplechive

Any one know if they mean salt or fresh water from runoff, aquifer, sewer etc?????
I didn't see where they said it was fresh water or salt water.
Rbtj

Here's some speculation...

fukushima-diary.com...

And not sure of the veracity of this:

One piece of fuel rods are estimated to sink into the ground 17m per year.Therefore,in 2 years from now,they may be 34m underground.

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Today i will send a Letter to Tepco and say that i feel ashamed of their Gardening

Next Month we cant see Unit 4 and the Buildings behind anymore!

Human your humor fabulous!! Thank you!

When is the first expected frost for the area?

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

65 percent of Japanese prefer to cut electricity use even if living standards drop

Sixty-five percent of Japanese people think that they should reduce their use of electricity even if their living standards have to be lowered in the wake of the outbreak of the crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, according to a recent survey conducted by the Mainichi Shimbun.

A survey of 2,413 people, conducted in an interview format by the Mainichi from Sept. 2 to 4, shows 65 percent of the respondents prefer to cut electricity use even if they have to lower their standards of living. The survey did not cover people in Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures hit hard by the March 11 disasters. Thirty-two percent of the people polled said power supply should be increased in order to maintain their standard of living.

By gender, 60 percent of male respondents and 70 percent of female respondents said the use of electricity should be reduced even if the standards of living have to be lowered. By age groups, relatively young people tend to think the use of electricity should be cut at the expense of living standards, with 71 percent of those in their 30s and 67 percent of those in their 20s sharing such views. Of those respondents who put priority on cutting electricity consumption rather than on maintaining current living standards, 66 percent of them said the number of nuclear reactors should be gradually reduced.

More Statistics:

Originally posted by Purplechive

When is the first expected frost for the area?

Hmmm, maybe in January but not soooo sure
because it is directly on the Sea!
edit on 20-9-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Chris Busby's latest. It's very good.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Originally posted by Tallone
reply to post by Wertwog

Did you get a look at the NCR executive summary I posted?

Yes.

Just what kind of 'eyeballs' is AG hoping to get eyeballing him? The kind that will change things?

Yes. Arnie is not trying to directly sway the NRC/IAEA/NISA or any governmental agency. Make no mistake, he knows this is futile. Even though he says in his videos and interviews that these bodies need to consider his recommendations, his videos are not aimed at them. The reason why these agencies have been able to operate the way they have for so long is that much of the industry works under the public radar. The general public has zero awareness of the huge number of accidents that occur at power planets every year, and these governmental agencies prefer it that way because an uninformed public allows them to continue doing what they do.

He is using the public exposure he has been getting to add weight to his suggestions. He knows that he will loose credibility with the public as an 'expert' insider, and also the industry, if he is too extreme. He is hoping these agencies will take him more seriously due to the millions of folks who are now viewing his site and re-posting his videos. These bodies do not like the exposure his 'analysis' is giving them, or the highly public critiques, but they do not consider him an insider, and haven't for many years.

Even though he appears 'moderate', however, he is far from it. Many of his suggestions, if implemented, would literally mean the end of nuke power in the US as they would cost trillions, and he knows this, even if many of the general public do not fully grasp it. By industry terms he is very radical.

He sometimes gets a quirky grin when he suggest these changes that tells me he knows full-well the implications, however, he now has a very public soapbox and he's going to use it. His methods are to point out safety problems, health and planning issues, such as inadequate evacuation plans, to appeal to the general public's reason/logic.

For example, he noted that US evacuation plans don't take into account road closures and power blackouts. He knows full well there is no way you can evacuate 10 million+ people (as some of the plants are located in highly populated areas) with no power and closed roads. None of the current plans account for any more that 80K. Now, why would he focus on this? He knows this is an 'achilles heel' issue that the general public had not been aware of and has high 'uptake' value (alot of folks will be concerned about this given what happened at Fuku, especially if they live near a plant which millions of Americans do).

Arnie is an anti-nuke activist, make no mistake. He's just not the sign carrying hippie chain-link-fence-attachment of yesterday. He's using industry terms and industry logic against them. The nuke industry is vulnerable on very many levels that have not had adequate awareness, he is using his spotlight (a very bright one at the moment), to shine into their dark corners and embarrass the hell out of them and the regulators for allowing these problems to continue. Enough light in these corners might just force the industry to take measures (at least appear to), where in the past they could operate in their own dimness.

His video does point out several inadequacies of the NRC report and is quite critical of it in-so-far as he can be critical and appear "balanced" and "expert", and he points out in his video exactly the points that need to be "escalated", plus the NCS critique which is adequate.

Gundersen expresses concerns that the nuclear industry and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission are not addressing major safety issues that have become evident since Fukushima. These issues include serious design flaws in the BWR Mark 1 containment, fundamental flaws in the Boiling Water Reactor vessel design, and problems with detonation shockwaves. The NRC and the nuclear industry are using a flawed cost benefit computer code that underestimates the value of human life and minimize property damages after an accident, which has the effect of justifying continued operation of reactors without safety modifications.
Source

Wertwog. Who exactly is it you think AG should be 'moderately approaching' at this point? If a section of the industry as you say, thinks he is a joke, then they are hardly likely to buy whatever he is "selling", are they?

He's not appealing to the industry.

I realize many would like him to come out blasting with both guns blazing as we all know he could, but you have to realize his videos, by industry standards, have rocked the 'establishment' a bit. Especially when he gets on CNN/MSNBC and other mainstream talking about 'hot particles', extreme radiation levels, 'prompt criticalities' in spent fuel, detonations, plutonium, broadening evacuation zones, containment failures, faulty valves that couldn't be closed, industry cover ups, and other highly "crap your pants" issues the industry avoids like the plague.

Will this light change anything? Probably not. But I'm not going to criticize the guy for doing an actually pretty decent job (overall) of informing the public or for not being more extreme when his method might actually get him more attention than many of the anti-nukes have only been dreaming of for decades.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Wertwog because: added something

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Hmmm, this Typhoon is very,hmmmmm very Powerfull!
My whole House is already shaking (normal),
the Rain is strong and i hope that Unit 4. can stand it!

Until now F'Shima is calm compare to what we are getting at the moment,
i hope the Tepco-Dudes are prepared!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Good luck! If the power goes out, come back to us safe and sound

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

New TEPCO Video released...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Hartmann Fukushima

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Japan worried about N-Power

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I know you have genuine concerns about the threat Dai-ichi represents to the world, rather than to a part of it or just to the industry itself. I know that because I have read most of your posts from the beginning of the thread. But you are confused here. I don't think you realise.

First up. This is a terribly wrong statement and you must surely realise it.

The general public has zero awareness of the huge number of accidents that occur at power planets every year, and these governmental agencies prefer it that way because an uninformed public allows them to continue doing what they do.

Each time there is a nuclear accident at a plant public awareness grows. Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima.

Populations living next to nuclear plants are quite aware of the risk. Perhaps many of them are happy with payouts from the company (in Japan) or perhaps they simply had no say in the matter but voice less masses does not equal "zero awareness".

Sticking with Japan for the moment. Back in 1999 there was the Tokaimura disaster, I remember it well because I was based in Japan at the time. That one was an uncontrolled chain reaction at a the uranium processing plant just 120 kilometers from Tokyo. Tokaimura is operated by JCO, a Sumitomo Metal Mining Corp. subsidary. Two employees killed, and 55 workers injured by radiation with the surrounding farmland contaminated. Actually I ought to post the details leading up to that disaster. Make for some surprisingly horrifying reading given the regulatory authorities and monitoring bodies evidently learnt nothing at all from the incident. But the Japanese public certainly did.

Three years have passed since the fire and explosion at the Japan Nuclear Cycle Development Institute (JNC)'s bituminization facility at the reprocessing plant in Tokai-mura, Ibaraki Prefecture. Ibaraki… Before giving the green light, the Prefecture consulted the Ibaraki Nuclear Council, and the Council had a meeting for the first time in 5 years… Obviously they had already made up their minds to recommend the re-start even before having these token meetings.

Our group, the Ibaraki Action Coalition Against Nuclear Power, pointed out to the Council problems associated with the aging of the Plant… We also…demanded that the Council dissolve immediately if it could not clarify its obligation. However, the Council ignored our requests and approved the re-start of the plant.

We immediately submitted a request to the governor and asked for a written response… We also asked if the Prefectural government had reflected on the JCO accident, and demanded that it conduct an environmental impact assessment for the reprocessing plant, which creates 500 times more radiation than a standard nuclear power plant. We also pointed out JNC's continuing habits of secrecy, and its unfair treatment of subcontractors who are given the most hazardous work.

Source

Here's some interesting corrospondance regarding that incident addressed to San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (San Clemente CA) from Franz in Vienna. Some perspective perhaps.

Protest

More info about that incident and others.
JAPAN NUCLEAR ACCIDENTS

There are plenty of Fukushima's waiting to happen in the world with population. Turkey has the Akkuyu Bay reactor built on the Ecemis fault, an active fault line. China has twenty seven nuclear plants under construction, and that country is one of the most earthquake prone in the world. There have been potential Fukushimas that had people scrambling in the USA, near misses. Such as the Waterford nuclear power plant in Louisiana forced to close down during Hurricane Katrina after declaring an “unusual event”, and previous to that in 1986 the Ohio plant knocked out of service following an earthquake.

You say "Arnie is not trying to directly sway…any governmental agency", Then you state further down "He is hoping these agencies will take him seriously due to the millions of folks who are now viewing his site…"

Well which is it? He is either attempting to influence governmental agencies or he is not. If he is not then I ask you again who is he is wanting to influence?

The general public are a lot less braindead then you appear to realize. Okay granted there is a lot of sheeple out there, but people don't need AG on MSM TV to realise there is a threat in the form of radiation pouring out of Japan. They know their governments are hiding the evidence and they know the lives of their children are directly endangered as a result.

One drug supplier says it has sold 250,000 anti-radiation pills to people in the U.S. concerned about possible exposure from Japanese nuclear reactors.

Sourced from your friendly FOX news, no less

AGs kind of moderate approach is suspect given the situation as it is developing. He is kind of like a workers union attempting to cement a money making role for themselves as negotiator with the company while plying their skills to the company suggesting they can control the workers and crush any spontaneous protest that might threaten to grow more cohesive…ah, you know, outside of the control of the union itself. I can't help but thinking this is what AG is about. Creating a little kingdom for himself with Fairewinds Associates. Which yes, would be a betrayal of good honest scientists and other folk who are just a wee bit politically naive.

There is something in the claims he is another agenda. Yes, could be just me. But really moderation only works when there the object of moderation is able to be moderated.

The nuclear industry is out of control. They share a place at the top of the global corporate heap, the industrialists, the financiers etc. And in Japan the nuclear industry practically writes government policy, actually come to think of it, just like they do in many other countries. The only way AG will find success will be in the form of a cunning diversion for the general public who may think his moderate appeal to 'reason' will actually work with those 'agencies' you talk of. Personally I think AG might be something of a shyster at this point. I hope not but that is just how it is beginning to look. Call me overly cynical if you want.

But I do think you should step back a moment and think about the contradictions in your logic. Maybe the share mountain of (almost unbelievable) data we have to work coming out of Japan's tragedy (and ours too) is obscuring the larger picture for you.

edit on 21-9-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

TEPCO Web Cam not working...but TBS is

A little confused because bad weather and wind but TBS cam looks really clear...

lucaswhitefieldhixson.com...

www.tepco.co.jp...

news.tbs.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

top topics

<< 1067  1068  1069    1071  1072  1073 >>

join