It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 107.htm
<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

"A Japanese nuclear safety official has confirmed reports that the water inside the waste fuel storage pool for the number 4 Fukushima reactor may be boiling, AP reports"

Yeah this won't be good at all.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

You mean the people working in the plant? Surely everyone else in the area will not have suffered a bad enough dose to even notice it. But hey, let's all kill ourselves just to be sure.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

The continuing suffering is something medical science may not be able to control on this full scale tragedy. All solutions must be considered. I would rather see the eternity pill given if they chose rather than to tell them to seal themselves in their houses to hide the truth of the death and dying, and that is what is going on.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
From the first day the first reactor blewup, most of us had an instinct that this was gonna end badly, which ı suspect most of the nuclear engineers knew too. The damage in my own opinon is beyond human capabilities now. God help us...god help Japaneese people.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

9:24am Engineers are keeping a close eye on reactors 5 and 6 at Fukushima, where cooling systems appear to have failed, ABC News reports.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DisbeIief

This is beginning to derail the thread, and i refuse to do that, this is MHO. We have not begun to hear the stories of those suffering . The recovery efforts are still in phase one from the EQ and the Tsunami.

Not Kamikaze and all out suicide chaos, respect for dignity and the dying process.

I would do a thread but do not have time. Am doing all I can to create food for my part of the country.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I am trying to get some more exact details on the fire before I answer... there are several 'containments'.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I believe it is probable that this is not to cover up the problem, but an attempt to save as many as possible until help arrives. Japan is dealing with more than just this nuclear contamination; they are being rocked by aftershocks after the worst quake in their history, a massive tsunami has wiped out most of the coastal areas, and electricity (which they depend heavily on, being an island) is scarce, and to top it off, they are having winter weather. It's not like people can just get into their cars and drive off; the roads are gone, totally impassable, in many areas and there is no fuel.

Help is coming in, but it takes time. Best to save as many as possible until evac teams can get in.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I found this site while doing some google image searching to try and locate any new images, and I feel it's pretty interesting, and worth sharing for folks here. No real new information, but anyone just joining this thread, it's good to get up to date, it's a scrollable time line with articles.

Time Line

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Ok. I caught some talk on CNN and they were speculating it could be an issue with not enough water or pumps that have a mechanical fault so are not pumping the water in consistently. It seemed there were various possibilities.

The other thing I don't get is why 95% of the workforce were evacuated. I thought they would have fully protective suits to carry out their work in this environment ? Yet they were evacuated due to the radiation levels. So those poor 50 guys there are basically laying down their lives to try and sort this out ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Japan Races to Avert Disaster As Radiation Drifts Into Tokyo

Japan raced to avert a catastrophe on Wednesday after an explosion at a quake-crippled nuclear power plant sent radiation wafting into Tokyo, prompting some people to flee the capital and others to stock up on essential supplies.

Officials in Tokyo—240 km (150 miles) to the south of the plant—said radiation in the capital was 10 times normal at one point but not a threat to human health in the sprawling high-tech city of 13 million people.

10 times the normal amount, but that isnt a threat to humans? Is this true?

The next couple paragraphs go on to say this.

Toxicologist Lee Tin-lap at the Chinese University of Hong Kong said such a radiation level was not an immediate threat to people but the long-term consequences were unknown.

"You are still breathing this into your lungs, and there is passive absorption in the skin, eyes and mouth and we really do not know what long-term impact that would have," Lee told Reuters by telephone.

So the officials say "dont worry, its all good.....but we have no idea what will happen later" Would you trust these "officials" if they were in your town saying this?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kithylin

There's also this Wikipedia article now ...
Timeline of the Fukushima nuclear accidents

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
reply to post by TheRedneck

Ok. I caught some talk on CNN and they were speculating it could be an issue with not enough water or pumps that have a mechanical fault so are not pumping the water in consistently. It seemed there were various possibilities.

The other thing I don't get is why 95% of the workforce were evacuated. I thought they would have fully protective suits to carry out their work in this environment ? Yet they were evacuated due to the radiation levels. So those poor 50 guys there are basically laying down their lives to try and sort this out ?

Maybe because they know that they are at the point of no return.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
2249: Officials at the plant say the new fire broke out because the initial blaze had not been extinguished, AP reports

2246: Japanese news agency Kyodo reports that the storage pool in reactor four - where the spent fuel rods are kept - may be boiling. Tepco says readings are showing high levels of radiation in the building, so it is inaccessible. Radiation levels had fallen late on Tuesday but remained abnormal.

BBC live

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

The thing is radiation suits don't make you completely immune to all forms of radiation, the only protect you against a certain % of it. If the dosage is strong enough, it can still kill, even despite wearing protective suits.

And the last few updates i could find is now all staff have evacuated from the power plant site, including those 50 or so that were remaining to operate pumps, due to the on-site radiation being so strong that they can not do their jobs, even with protective suits on.

EDIT/Add:

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

There's also this Wikipedia article now ...
Timeline of the Fukushima nuclear accidents

I did not know about or see this, pretty neat that they're updating wikipedia... this incident is already carving it's place in world history... sadly

edit on 15/3/11 by kithylin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

well still it doesnt make sence,cause witth that much radiation ,they wouldnt last a day
so can someone tell me how ? if what we all know is correct then those people would be puking after an hour and after 2 hours be well...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Well this is just a nightmare, isn't it. Any slight progress made is knocked back by addtional problems and now no-one is at the plant at all to do anything whatsoever, so it's abandoned . I wonder how many hours it will be before levels decrease enough for those 50 workers to go back in ? They are working in 12 hr shifts I read somewhere, so at any one time it's more like 25 people working.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

In every power plant, the majority are 'non-essential' personnel... clerks, managers, foremen, construction teams (they are always re-working or repairing something), security, and so forth. They are gone. The people left are the operators and maybe a couple technicians, the people who were absolutely necessary to operate the plant. Yes, it takes that many.

I'm sure they have radiation-resistant (there is no such thing as radiation-proof) suits, but not enough for every worker there. Also, those suits cannot handle any conceivable radiation level; they only increase the ability to be exposed without long-term damage.

It's a standard operating practice... keep as many people as possible as safe as possible.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

There are fears that the fuel rods in two of the reactors are being rapidly damaged as they remain exposed due to the failed injection of coolant.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyanhide

The control building is also built to keep out radiation. It acts like a containment around the personnel inside.

I imagine anyone stepping outside is wearing a radiation suit.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join