It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1066.htm
<< 1063  1064  1065    1067  1068  1069 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Professor speaks about Japanese disaster during safety workshop

On March 11, a magnitude-9 earthquake was followed by a tsunami with a 50-foot-high wave that hit the Fukushima nuclear power plant, causing a full meltdown at three reactors. As bad as that was, "it was not Chernobyl," Boice said.

"The doses to people were much lower." That was in part because Japan acted quickly to protect its citizens from radiation, he said. The Chernobyl reactor had no containment dome and it burned for days, releasing far more contamination. The firefighters who responded were true heroes, some of whom gave their lives, Boice said.

More than 130 had acute radiation sickness and 28 died within a few months, he said. Continued medical checks show the firefighters have developed cataracts at high rates, he said. Over three years, 530,000 workers helped clean up the Chernobyl reactor remains. Their mean radiation dose, or energy deposited in their body by radiation, was 10 rem, although some had far more. Rem is a measure of health effects. In Japan, no acute effects of radiation have been seen in the firefighters at Fukushima, Boice said.

The 7,800 workers at the reactors as of late spring had an average exposure of 0.8 rem, Boice said. However, 30 had 10 to 25 rem and at least two had more. The lifetime risk of developing cancer may be 1 to 2 percent for exposure greater than 10 rem, he said. Since Chernobyl, there has been an epidemic of thyroid cancer. About 7,000 children -- who are most vulnerable to the cancer -- have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, he said.

They likely were exposed through milk from cows that grazed on grass contaminated with radioactive iodine. Iodine concentrates in the thyroid. The Soviet government did not warn people not to drink the milk, but the Japanese government did, Boice said. In addition, far less radioactive iodine was released at Fukushima than at Chernobyl. At Fukushima, "the dose to people appears to be very, very low," he said.

Japan evacuated people in a series of zones as the disaster progressed, while the evacuation at Chernobyl was slow, Boice said. Fish, vegetables and milk were monitored in Japan to protect consumers. People who left the area also were monitored and any contamination found was removed by showering, he said. People who had been cleared were given cards to certify their status. About 1,000 children near Fukushima were monitored for thyroid exposure to radiation and although some levels were detected, they were small, Boice said. "The population exposure seems minimal at this time," he said. But the crisis is not over, he said.

Source;

School sports festivals derailed / Meets moved, shortened or canceled because of nuclear crisis

The ongoing crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant has impacted many plans for annual sports festivals normally held in autumn at primary and middle schools. Many schools made difficult decisions to minimize students' exposure to radiation by, for example, shortening event hours, instructing students not to eat lunch outdoors or holding the events inside school gyms.

At some schools, sports festivals were even canceled as parents did not agree on the conditions for holding them. In the wake of the nuclear crisis, many schools in Fukushima Prefecture postponed sports festivals scheduled for the spring. Shirakata Primary School, a municipal school in Sukagawa, was scheduled to hold its sports festival on Saturday.

But the school will hold the event only in the morning and has decided not to hold a parent-student lunch to avoid possible negative effects from dust. Since the crisis began, the school also canceled other sports events, such as swimming classes and athletic meets.

The school's principal, Koichiro Furukawa, said: "It will be a pity for the students if more events are canceled. I think the sports festival should be held, even if only in the morning." Takine Primary School, a municipal school in Tamura, will also hold its sports festival only in the morning. The school customarily moves chairs out into the schoolyard for spectators.

This year, blue sheets will be spread on the ground before the chairs are brought out, to keep students and visitors from tracking soil into the building. Nihonmatsu Kita Primary School, a municipal school in Nihonmatsu, changed the venue from inside the school to the city's sports gym. But because the building is not so big, some events, such as relays, cannot be held there. Students and teachers have devised alternate events, such as games using cardboard boxes.

School officials said they will increase events in which junior and senior students can have closer contact to make the sports festival an opportunity for students to feel the importance of warm-heartedness.Source;/ex]

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Why are as many as 32 previous police hired in TEPCO?

And WOW - Very evasive and convoluted in their response!!!

To be fair, the translation makes their response seem slightly more evasive and convoluted than it was.

If anything, I'd call the responses dismissive - as though the reporter was asking if water was wet.

Just about every company or government agency that does anything to do with the law (or has legal ramifications, or is just something that cops tend to be involved with in one way or another) has former cops on staff. That's a reality of doing business in Japan, and it has been for a couple of generations.

It's kind of a long term bribery. The shakedown is this: Hire a retired cop, and any dealings you have with cops go smoothly and quickly.

The catch is that it's been going on for so long that you'll wind up dealing with a retired cop in just about anything government related. And they'll make life difficult for you if you haven't been contributing to the retirement fund of another former cop - either by going through their business or having one on staff.

For example: If you're in the business of importing or exporting, there are several former cop owned businesses to assist in the customs procedures (ie. you hire them to fill out your forms, or more frequently you send the forms to them and they submit on your behalf). Use them and things move quickly. Don't use them... and the former cops working at customs hold your stuff for a few extra days. It's been this way so long that most people think it's normal.

For a company the size of tepco, this isn't that large a number of former cops to have on staff. They'll be involved in everything from hiring guards for the gates and training heavy equipment operators to streamlining the visa process for the IAEA.

This probably won't be the case to bring this system down. This probably won't be the government to outlaw the practice. But if it is, and they do, ...damn. Words fail me. I think a party would be in order at the very least...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
St Louis radiation readings from our bud, there. 133 X background

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Still can't access the media section dammit. Would liked to have posted this but heres the url wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Japan%27s_ocean_currents.PNG

Though limited research, it appears that the ocean currents offshore Fukushima do basically flow north to south along the coastline, even though prevailing winds don't. However, it is, a complex and chaotic situation. The map above illustrates this. The Oyashio Current (#7) comes down from the north and collides with the Kuroshio Current (#1) near Hokkaido. These currents then turn easterly, while remnants of the Oyashio Current move south past Daiichi. Because of this mix, numerous eddies form in the area between the different currents.

If this holds true, and directly offshore Fukushima the current moves north to south, then there is no way that the discharge for 5 and 6 can be influenced by the discharge line from 1 thru 4.

I have a feeling that the illegal dump line AC found has been in use continuosly.

AC and PC, Ive tried lining up the smoke release in the vids discussed above and I think that the cloud is emerging from R3, but Ill check further.

Interesting the shot of the bucket in the water. Radioactive backhoe for sale. Cheap.
edit on 17-9-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
MAP 6.2 2011/09/16 21:08:06 40.221 143.050 20.2 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 5.5 2011/09/16 20:11:15 40.305 143.180 19.0 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 5.2 2011/09/16 19:39:46 40.403 142.034 10.4 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 6.6 2011/09/16 19:26:42 40.288 142.727 36.3 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

Japan has had 4 quakes today!!

And on the ten degree USGS map it is amazing!! Wonder what's going on down below in this small section. Thank God it's not right on top of Tokyo!
earthquake.usgs.gov...

- Purple Chive
edit on 17-9-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

BBC Documentary: Fukushima Disaster: Is Nuclear Power Safe?

- Purple Chive
edit on 17-9-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

The Finnish Dude again...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

TEPCO just released "Photo Collection"

Crappy quality!!

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

12 Tons of Water helped Unit 3!

Down to 97.4 C now!

www.tepco.co.jp...

Just a bunch more highly radioactive water to treat...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be little progress in the structure being built around Unit 1 in the last weeks or so? Seems like they were adding siding at a good pace up until last week!!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Interesting tidbit. www3.nhk.or.jp...

They estimated at the time that after 20 days of seawater injection there would be 15+ feet of salt in the bottom of the reactor. They used seawater for 14 days, so the estimate of salt levels inside the reactors would be approximately 11 feet of salt on March 26.

The question that arises is simply how can there be accurate measurements of temp at the bottom of the reactors if they are buried in salt.

ON EDIT: Im going to start asking the brainiacs at PF some of these questions. Like the ocean current one, an explanation of the thermals etc. Cant hurt, other than being rebuffed for being stupid. an dlike that hasnt happened before right.
edit on 17-9-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Originally posted by Tallone
reply to post by Human0815

reply to post by Tallone

I think everyone in this Forum know that the Industrial Complex is big, perverse and fascistic,
but we cant go and try to kill this Monster because it has to many Headz!

So, what do you want to do?

edit on 16-9-2011 by Human0815 because: add a question

Inform people, rather than divert them. Deal with the truth, rather than play with other's minds. How about you?

edit on 16-9-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

In Reality i am absolute Clueless
because nothing really helps

Maybe a Revolution will change something
but without "an Idea and something up ones Sleeve" it is more than "dangerous"!

So? where is your sense of adventure man , if you've got to die you might as well go out under lightning and thunder filled Wagnerian skies standing on a pile of your enemies bodies swinging blows until the last and spitting a death curse through clenched teeth with your own blood until the lights go out ... I abhore fighting but when good men do nothing...well you know the rest ...anyhow in this, the information age, the age of the meme, perhaps all that action and adventure isn't necessary...

zworld:

about the salt in the cores, earlier in this thread we examined several possible scenarios for where it is/was and the effects it would be having I believe that it did significantly change the thermal shielding , but by that time the cores were almost certainly already breached , and more importantly the galvanic action in seawater is much greater than it would be in fresh water ....

I also believe that surface boiling would have created an environment for a release of a number of CL byproducts that would have escaped the reactors in the steam ( which would concentrate the sodium metal excerbating it's problems )

which leads me to the pools: the sodium in the pools definitely increased the galvanic transport and is probably responsible for a lot of , in solution , criticalities seen in the beginning weeks , not to mention advanced corrosion ( especially if there is aluminum in the construction of the pools or rods, (etc) that was also in the water

one of the nasty bits is that the uranium and plutonium in certain combinations with the chloride would form chemicals that would be chemically analogous to hydrofluorocarbons , which travel high into the atmosphere ( even at realatively low temperatures ...I'll see if I can located those older posts ( unfortunately I am out the door so it may be a while )
edit on 17-9-2011 by Silverlok because: quotatable quotes

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Been digging around in the Cornell University Library's database, doing research for another thread and came across this:

Atmospheric Response to Fukushima Daiichi NPP (Japan) Accident Reviled by Satellite and Ground observations

Immediately after the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan we started to continuously survey the Outgoing Long-wavelength Radiation (OLR, 10-13 microns) from NOAA/AVHRR. Our preliminary results show the presence of hot spots on the top of the atmosphere over the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant (FDNPP) and due to their persistence over the same region they are most likely not of meteorological origin. On March 14 and 21 we detected a significant increase in radiation (14 W/m2) at the top of the atmosphere which also coincides with a reported radioactivity gas leaks from the FDNPP. After March 21 the intensity of OLR started to decline, which has been confirmed by ground radiometer network. We hypothesize that this increase in OLR was a result of the radioactive leaks released in atmosphere from the FDNPP. This energy triggers ionization of the air near the ground and lead to release of latent heat energy due to change of air humidity and temperature. Our early results demonstrate the potential of the latest development in atmospheric sciences and space-borne observations for monitoring nuclear accidents.

I'm on my iPhone, so I can't select text to copy over to here, but it's not a very long read (so go on over and download and read it) and there are some very telling charts and graphs at the end.

Suffice to say, it was known and demonstrated that the atmosphere high above the plant began exhibiting abnormal heating on the 12th of March with significant peaks immediately following each of the explosions (it shows 4) with an eventual tapering off of the heat signature which would correspond with the corium masses burying themselves deeper in the bedrock.

He pointed to a July 2007 earthquake in Japan that shook the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear power plant with a force 2 1 / 2 times greater than the facility was designed for. After inspections, the International Atomic Energy Agency concluded that the plant’s safety design margins prevented major damage. The plant was subsequently closed for 21 months for seismic upgrades.

From a story in the Washington Post about the Virginia earthquake

The report at the Cornell site lists this in it's introduction and says that there was radioactive water and gas released in that event. This demonstrates quite clearly that the problem is much more than Tepco or even Fukushima Daiichi but rather one of global concern.

A wider brush is needed when painting this fence.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

thanks SL. Im going to do a search as well. hydrofluorocarbons, interesting.

Another question, would salt store energy via the Wigner effect, being a crystal. And if so, would the fact that some of the melted pellets/corium are probably encased in salt be a concern.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Only Tepco with their billions would use a dumpster as a cooling pool for a back-hoe bucket, eh? That picture had me chuckling yesterday.These Tepco guys are a scream!
Since this mess began, I have been wondering about future social implications. The ramifications of all this denial. I couldn't figure out why the big companies in Japan would support Tepco. After all, when the truth does finally come out, those companies and workers will suffer long term. It could trigger a complete boycott that would just hurt more innocent people. I've tried the raise the subject a few times on some of the FB pages but without luck. I'm not sure if other folks can't see, in their minds, down the road a year or two, or if it's a taboo subject. I've tried to prepare folks for a time when the nuclear gang might try to point blame at Japan to deflect blame from themselves. To remind them that this is about regular people against fat cats. No flags.
You know, because all of us spend so much time researching and reading we find all kinds of articles. I don't know what the hell to make of this one? Is this the beginning of the war machine seeing an opportunity to pound the drums, because the news of the extent of how bad fuk is, can't be stopped? What are we looking at here? They imply this accident has been turned into an act of war. How well respected is this site?
www.veteranstoday.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Ms Milky's latest.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Read question #4 from the link below to understand the ex-text.
on edit this is the last sentence to to the answer for question #4.

Others are engaging even in an eco- type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves.

So, yeah the vets are understandably concerned as we are, hopefully they are still a group that people will listen to.
Semper Fi

Transcript
This was another rabbit hole that the denying ignorance mission got me into.
rbrtj

edit on 17-9-2011 by rbrtj because: by "we" I mean us on ATS.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by thorfourwinds

My you have been busy!!!
I went to your Thread to find your source of information on Hanford and was blown away.

Keep up the great work

Greetings:

Thank you for the kind words.

We will endeavor to live up to the expectations.

We have been on the front lines in Hurricane Irene, working now in Chocowinity, NC and have not had access to even basic electricity - let alone internet access - most of the time.

We will update with photos on our 'home thread' (America's Being Nuked...) when possible.

Keep up the great work folks and we look forward to catching up on our reading and posting soon.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Anyone know if there are any consistent recordings of the TBS web cam posted anywhere, similar to Fuku1live channel? I'm watching Lucas, double shot right now and there are weird light shows in the sky. I'm trying to decipher if they are ocean white cap waves or something else.

lucaswhitefieldhixson.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

i don't think so, unless it is somewhat transitive , the conditions are simply too 'fluid' with electrical thermal and mechanical energies ( i suppose I should also use hydraulic though technically that's physical too) .

They built a test reactor in California in the sixties that used molten salt as the cooling fluid ( you are probably aware that experimental reactors are not licensed or regulated ) , as you can imagine disaster ensued and the thing blew apart. The reason they tried salt is because it is fairly resistant to being radioactive and has an excellent thermal capacity. I would guess off the top of my head that this heat capacity within salt is due to transient crystalline formations within the fluid forming very short lived existences ,but creating short term solids within the fluid , and as we know (most)solids have a much greater heat capacity than (most) fluids

just a guess though, and I am quite familiar with Seebeck and Peltier I do not know Wigner other than a smidge ...hihohiho it's off to google I go , tralalalatrela-la-la (edit again: no I doubt the wigner effect has played a substantial part in the cores/corium it my have played a very significant part in the pools though , especially at four . one thing that does rankle is the future : if the corium / poolium is accumulating a salt crust cooling it over the long term might create conditions for the wigner effect to take place )

edit : about the pellets, no I doubt those would be long lived in either air or water . the thermal retention of NA would cause the corium/poolium to heat up and drain out of the salt , I believe the geologists call it differentiation . The most likely event is , given the heat, just like smelting things would layer based on density and a lot of chemistry would be going on at any differential materials interfaces be they colloidal or blobs rubbing together
edit on 17-9-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1063  1064  1065    1067  1068  1069 >>

join