It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1051.htm
<< 1048  1049  1050    1052  1053  1054 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
I'm not sure if these files have ever been up. Two PDF's on the construction of Daiichi, mostly in Japanese. Apologies in advance if these are a re-run.
cryptome.org...
cryptome.org...

In this doc...page 10...sure looks like an earthquake/ground split. Wish I knew Japanese!!! Is Daniero around anymore?

cryptome.org...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Originally posted by qmantoo
Yull Brown's gas which can transmutes nuclear material Interesting few paragraphs on this page 4/5ths of the way down. This para and a few more deal with Brown's gas. I did not want to quote it all.

When Dennis teamed up with Yull Brown, Dennis and I spoke at Department of Energy (DOE) hearings regarding the disposal of nuclear waste in America. Brown's Gas can apparently transmute nuclear material, once again doing something that conventional physics regards as "impossible." The Brown's Gas and nuclear material demonstration has been done many times, even in front of DOE personnel with their Geiger counters in hand. The nuclear waste hearings were a ruse to create a fig leaf of consent for the program that was already chosen by the Big Boys. At the hearings, I spoke first about Brown's Gas and its potential, and Dennis went next, trying to convince the DOE to at least look into the Brown's Gas solution, instead of burying the waste in the earth, hoping that nothing happens to it for the next 250,000 years.

Maybe this is an answer for the Japanese?

Brown's gas...

Oxyhydrogen is a mixture of hydrogen (H2) and oxygen (O2) gases, typically in a 2:1 molar ratio, the same proportion as water.[1] This gaseous mixture is used for torches for the processing of refractory materials and was the first gaseous mixture used for welding. In practice a ratio of 4:1 or 5:1 hydrogen oxygen is required to avoid an oxidizing flame.
Source

Huh, well this Wade Frazier dude doesn't describe how a welding gas "transmutes nuclear material"... it would be cool, but I'll believe it when I see it
Interesting reading though, thanks!

Seems he is fond of Ruggerio Santilli and some other highly interesting fringe scientists. Not that that is bad it's just he's pretty "out there". Definitely an activist and into all kinds of alternative thought.

In his book Il Grande Grido: Ethical Probe on Einstein's Followers in the U.S.A, an Insiders View, Santilli claims that in many institutions there is an effective conspiracy to suppress or not investigate novel theories which may conflict with established scientific theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity. Institutions receive funding and have established entire departments dedicated to long established theories, and so he argues that these same institutions are ill equipped to challenge their own scientific paradigms with new theories. Santilli claimed that a number of scientists, including Nobel Laureates Sheldon Glashow and Steven Weinberg conspired, while he was at Harvard, to stop him from conducting research which might have led to the inapplicability of part of Einstein's theory of relativity.
Source

I doubt he'd be seen as credible enough to get anywhere near Fuku, kinda too bad, might be nice to see some 'out of the box'(cage) thinkers try some new techniques even if they are a bit wak. Might work better than newspaper and sawdust... Japanese turn to newspaper and sawdust to plug leak....

edit on 4-9-2011 by Wertwog because: crazy bitch society rules!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Grow cotton...instead of rice...radioactive clothing?

Curious...

www.asahi.com...

southeastfarmpress.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Would not the smartest move be to detonate the cores with atomic wepons and use up the fuel instantly? I know his sounds bad, but would not this be the best way to end the crisis? I know that spitting up atomic elements into the air in a massive burst is not the best thing for the world , the other option is a slow relese into the enviroment for thousands of years of raw cobalt 60. This trully could be the ultimate event in history. The produce from california is even now starting to look weird to me. Paranoid? Possibly. Concerned? Defenitly.
Life was tiddly winks before Fukishima.
edit on 4-9-2011 by dntwastetime because: doh

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
More strange flashing at fuk
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

More of these like we've seen before... way too big to be welding. Gamma bursts (afterglow), transient criticalities, electrical discharges from floating ground...? dunno but it's dam puzzling.
edit on 4-9-2011 by Wertwog because: oh tepco you silly boyz

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime
Would not the smartest move be to detonate the cores with atomic wepons and use up the fuel instantly? I know his sounds bad, but would not this be the best way to end the crisis? I know that spitting up atomic elements into the air in a massive burst is not the best thing for the world , the other option is a slow relese into the enviroment for thousands of years of raw cobalt 60. This trully could be the ultimate event in history. The produce from california is even now starting to look weird to me. Paranoid? Possibly. Concerned? Defenitly.
edit on 4-9-2011 by dntwastetime because: doh

Why is it people think dropping a nuke will solve all their problems..... It's the dumbest idea there is ESPECIALLY in this situation.

Let's just look at plutonium for a second, it's the most toxic substance known to man. Do you know how much plutonium it would take to wipe out the human race if evenly distributed and inhaled or injested? 1lb. Now some estimates put the amount of plutonium at Fuku to be 1 TON. It's not the only bad stuff at Fuku either, but it's the baddest. Source

Now, granted, not all this Pu is weapons grade, mostly Pu-238 & 235 and small amounts of Pu-239. But what do you think happens when you drop a nuke on a nuke? All that plutonium goes airborne, what doesn't fission (and some of it will making the explosion even bigger), will aerosolize (become so small it kinda acts like a gas) and go up into the troposphere to be carried around the earth, to be rained out on everybody. So instead of keeping the Pu in place and near the ground you want to send it into the atmosphere where it can do the most damage? Or did you think that dropping a nuke on a nuke would 'cancel the radioactivity out'?. It doesn't work that way. Radiation is energy.... it goes somewhere and adding more energy to it means.... MORE ENERGY.

So what you are really asking is "Why don't we wipe out the human race?". Dropping a nuke on a nuke is a hellacious idea if you want maximum death. Good plan!

I don't mean to pick on you...sorry. It's a common idea I've heard many times and mostly just ignore it. It seems like you are very well-meaning, but I'm afraid there isn't going to be a magic pill we can drop to make it all go away.

Been dying to use this for exactly this reason...

edit on 4-9-2011 by Wertwog because: crazy bitch society rules!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Interesting (because I'm a geek-girl) 24 hr gamma spectrum analysis of soil sample (from rain gutter) west of Toyko, 250km from Fukushima.

High-levels of C-137, C-134.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

We are definately on the same page WW. Ive spent this Labor day weekend schooling myself about what happens to old RPVs, molten metals, corium, sea salt etc and its really been incredibly fascinating. I had no idea the danger we were in from old reactors. In fact, this research leads me to think that much of the corium was already in the basement of all three reactors within hours after loss of coolant. And it's probably safe to say much of that has traveled even further.

Here's what I've been learning. As stated in my earlier post, steel used in the 60s and early 70s was a poor quality steel, with numerous impurities associated with accelerated neutron embrittlement. Neutron embrittlement occurs when (please correct where wrong) neutrons attack something for a long time and the object's atoms are rearranged, producing greater defects, loss of tensile strength, hardening, swelling, cracking and the Wigner effect. Embrittlement is the most serious degradation that can occur to reactors (Wirth et al 2008).

That steel used in pressure vessel and shroud construction in nuclear power plants was of poor quality and defective has been well known for sometime within the industry. The following is from a 1983 college thesis (Highton 1983) and talks about defects (damage centers) caused by impurities in steel;

It has also been shown that damage centers existed in the steel before iradiation, and are called active defect complexes. These damage centers grow by the accumulation of vacancies which causes a progressive reduction in dislocation mobility, and are sites that represent a major cause of both thermal and neutron embrittlement in copper bearing RPV steels in the temperature range of 120 to 400 C.

Low alloy steels used in RPV construction that contain high levels of copper are subject to significant thermal hardening up to temperatures of about 400C. The mechanism of this hardening appears to be linked to that which is responsible for neutron embrittlement of these steels. Whilst these steels do not appear to harden after 30 days at 290C there remains the possibility that significant hardening may occur at PWR operating temperatures over long periods of time (eg 20 or 30 years).

And specifically, the fact that inferior steel was used for components of Fukushima Daiichi is also well known. There are primarily two types of steel found in Fukushima's nuclear infrastructure. The original steel, 304SS, and 316L used in new shrouds after 304SS was found defective. A few years later 316L was also found to be defective.

The following is from a presentation given by Tepco at a Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology conference in 2003 (Okamura et al 2003).

This paper reports that a high incidence of stress corrosion cracking (SCC) cracks have been found in the core Shroud and PLR piping of several Japanese BWR plants. The results of investigations show the cracks to be of SCC type in 316L stainless steel and with different characteristics from the type in 304 stainless steel.

As of May 2003, many Japanese plants have been stopped for inspection and repair work because of SCC occurrences. Such cracks have been found in the core shroud and primary recirculation piping fabricated from low carbon stainless steel such as type 316L which contains less than 0.02% carbon and is believed to be resistant to SCC.

Similar SCC occurrences were found on the shroud upper ring fabricated from type 304 SS in Fukushima-Daiichi unit No. 2 (1F-2) in 1994. The shrouds made from type 304 SS, including those in 1F-2, have all been replaced with those made from type 316L SS during the period from 1997 to 2001.

This report also found a crack in the shroud for R4 that was 180mm wide, made from 316L steel.

When one considers that the pressure vessels were also built out of defective steel and nearing the end of their life expectancy, and have gone through the strongest EQ any reactor has ever gone through, been bombarded with neutrons like never before, suffered through massive explosions and subjected to temperatures and pressures for beyond their design capabilities, I think it's safe to say that RPVs 1 thru 3 are toast.

I'll post more when I figure it out. The Wigner effect especially I am totally fascinated by and think it may explain some things, but Im still just learning. If you know anything I'm all ears.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime

Funny you should mention that. That was the main theme in a recent discussion, why most got hit with Fukushima and it just bounced off, others got hit and had to push it out of their lives cause it was too upsetting, and a handful got hit and floored into the ground and have had trouble getting back up. I think its all about awareness and taking the blue pill or the red pill, so to speak. I know Im one of the latter.

As far as what to do from here, I still think they should bury them asap. And then pray there isn't more trouble coming down the pipe. This charade that Tepco performs of not wanting to cause panic is a joke. If an avalanche is starting to barrel down the hill towards you, you dont sit and remain calm, you react and work the problem looking for the least damaging solution that is immediately within reach. Same applies here, but Tepco doesn't get it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

That reminds me!
p479

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by buffet of lies

I think it might be significant. I think it is the same 'thud' we heard in the explosion video. The RPV cracked.

The fact that it was accompanied by building cracks and asphalt cracks seems to indicate that the bedrock underneath the plants was disturbed to a large extent. That would have changed the dynamics of the forces surrounding the RPV and could have cause it to crack open like an eggshell.

I mentioned this type of event associated with pressure in my last post, and the seismic shifts could be partly responsible in that case as well. The reason I attribute it primarily to pressure and heat is that it was well after the seismic disturbance. That does not mean the disturbance was not also a cause, however. #4 and #3 are sitting side by side.

TheRedneck

and p512.... Jeezus.... TRN nailed it...

reply to post by -W1LL

No, but the rapidity that sinkholes exhibit are indicative of how quickly geological changes can happen. Look at how long it took for Japan to move, what was it? 8 meters? It took less than a minute.

It also shifted stresses, as evidenced by the continual large aftershocks. Each aftershock has a potential for widening any crack in the bedrock.

We also have a meltdown, as evidenced by the double explosion at Unit #3... one part hydrogen, one part a steam flash explosion. That is indicative of a meltdown and corium suddenly encountering a mass of water. How could the corium encounter a sudden mass of water unless either the pumps started suddenly working (without any power at the time) or the corium escaped into an outside water source?

That means we have been in China Syndrome mode since March 14th re Unit #3.

Forget the movie... it was fiction. There are many theories surrounding what will happen during such an event, and one is that the corium will reach equilibrium inside the underlying ground, after melting through a section of it. Essentially, this equilibrium would occur when the thermal mass of the ensuing lava around the corium becomes large enough to dissipate as much heat as is being produced. The entire mass of corium just sits there, in a pool of lava that is neither growing nor shrinking.

Some believe this is more probable an outcome when this lava pool encounters water under pressure, which is consistent with the conditions at Fukushima assuming the meltdown did occur on March 14th. Such an event would create a massive amount of radioactive contamination into the ocean at the depth of the exposure. As far as I know, the radiation readings are taken at the surface.

So we have (IMO) a mass of liquid corium, sitting inside a larger mass of lava, deep inside a section of bedrock that has cracked from the megathrust event and opened fissures allowing seawater inside it. And due to the after shocks, these fissures are growing. The radiation readings we have seen at the ocean surface, while extremely high, are minimal compared to what is lurking deeper below. And as long as the fissures are growing, it will only get worse. The only course of action I can fathom is to plug these fissures.

The attempts to seal these smaller surface cracks may be test runs to see if the idea is feasible. This is bad news, because they have failed.

TheRedneck

.... more coming.... we did discuss flaws in the steel, not is as great detail as you are finding. There is also a known flaw in the flange of the Mk1.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Contamination Outside Fukushima

The extent of radioactive contamination in Fukushima Prefecture is at the center of important debates as some scientists, NGOs, and citizen’s groups argue that the Japanese government has not gone far enough in dealing with the fallout from the Fukushima Daiichi accident and has deliberately downplayed the potential health effects of radiation. With so much attention focused on Fukushima, however, there has been less consideration of the impact of the crisis, ongoing since March 11, on other parts of Japan.

The August 22 issue of AERA magazine, published by Japan’s major progressive newspaper Asahi Shimbun, ran a feature on contamination in the Kanto region entitled Kanto no ko kara hoshano (Radiation Detected from Kanto Children), which broadens discussions of the Fukushima Daiichi crisis’ potential impact. Below is a summary of the AERA article, published under the byline of editor Yamane Yusaku. The Kanto region is a large area of central Japan that includes Tokyo and nearly 1/3 of Japan’s population including Tokyo. The Japanese government has taken the position that no one outside of the vicinity of the Fukushima Daiichi plant is likely to suffer health effects from the radiation that has been released since March.

Many Japanese, especially parents of young children, are doubtful. The article begins by reiterating a point that has been made frequently by critics of the Japanese government – that we simply do not know what effects low levels of radiation and the presence of isotopes in the human body will have on long-term health. The piece tells the story of a mother in Saitama Prefecture who, in the absence of direct government support, arranged to have a sample of her daughter’s urine tested. The test indicated that despite stringent efforts to protect her fifth grader from exposure to contaminated food and airborne radiation, the result was 0.4 Bq of Cesium 137 per kilogram of urine. Cesium 137, with a half-life of just over 30 years, is one of main radioactive isotopes released from the Fukushima Daiichi plant. “I felt a mixture of shock and a feeling that of course this is the case”, laments the girl’s mother.

More:

Tepco Says No. 3 Reactor Temperature Falls to Below 100 Celsius

okyo Electric Power Co. said the temperature of the No. 3 reactor pressure vessel at its crippled Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant fell to below 100 degrees Celsius (212 Fahrenheit), one of the conditions for achieving cold shutdown. The temperature on the outside of the base of the vessel was 98.4 degrees Celsius at 5:00 a.m. today from 102.7 degrees 24 hours earlier after the utility known as Tepco this month added a spraying system to cool the reactor, Junichi Matsumoto, a general manager, told reporters.

It doesn’t mean the reactor has reached cold shutdown status because the utility still needs to assess the amount of radioactive materials leaking from the reactor, he said. Temperatures remain higher than 100 degrees on other sections of the reactor, the utility said. Temperatures on the No. 1 reactor remain below 100 degrees Celsius after reaching that level around Aug. 20, Matsumoto said. The temperature of the bottom of the No. 1 reactor vessel was 85.1 degrees today, according to a table provided by the company.

Source:

Atomic Power Needed to Save Economy: Noda

Japan’s new Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda in his first days in office started to deliver a difficult message to a public still in shock from the Fukushima nuclear disaster: Atomic power is needed to save the economy. Nuclear power provided about 30 percent of the electricity in the world’s third biggest economy before the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. Now, about 80 percent of Japan’s 54 reactors are offline with more shutting for scheduled maintenance in the months ahead. With the majority of opinion polls showing the public oppose the use of atomic power, Noda needs to convince his electorate so-called stress tests on reactors will make them safer to restart. Industry leaders have said they may shift production overseas if power supplies aren’t stable, threatening an economic recovery.

“There will be very little reserve electricity for peak hours in the winter and summer if the operating rate of reactors keeps falling,” said Yugo Nakamura, an analyst for Bloomberg New Energy Finance. Noda is “trying to avoid economic disruptions by restarting reactors after safety checks.”

More to read:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

p349

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by Beavis

A very nice point on the corrosion resistance characteristics of the Stainless Steel and how that relates to stress cracks ( especially given teh constant quakes). Between the salt water the oxidizing environment the heating and cooling ( maximum corrosion problems occur between 60-100C) the boron (boric acid) and the ionization creating galvanic currents between differential metals it doesn't look like these core containment units will survive till the end of tepcos current waiting game strategy

I mean that seems to be their exit strategy at this point: just keeping pumping water at it untill they all melt through containment or run out of nuclear oomphfff. Quite frankly I think every day that they are doing basically nothing but playing a waiting game is a serious crime due to the unbelievable amount of toxins they are releasing, and I think the stress on the steel will lead to more spikes and more , oops there goes another puff of 'steam' , aaahhhhh isn't that nice it looks like a bunny....

HOW CAN THEY STILL NOT HAVE ANYTHING EVEN RESEMBLING AN EXIT STRATEGY FOR THIS YET?
edit on 26-3-2011 by Silverlok because: em is better than be, but n is nice too

p839 this little ditty from Silver regarding seawater...

reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Yes it is (heavier that is and under certain conditions does not mix but instead forms two distinct zones ( the aquifers under Florida area good example of this ) , I am a bit pressed for time , but as anyone with half a brain knows salt will quickly form deposits on any heat source , and to make matters worse plutonium, and uranium have some cut-off temperatures (100C, and 250C respectively ) wherein even under water above the cut-off temperatures they react the same as if the where in air, which means that the heat source will /did act like salt accumulation devices (trapping most of the salt either in the RPV , CV , SC or pools) . One of the European nuclear science people warned tepco about salt accumulation weeks ago , which prompted the cessation of Seawater use . The low pressure /temps at the top of the (open) rpv #3 are certainly a direct indicator (from the chemical output) that quite a bit of salt is still available there , and the temperature readings inside number one's RPV indicate salt there as well ( plus as I've mentioned the oddities of stainless steeel oxides in this environment )

Also they have not really clarified where they are getting the HUGE amounts of water they need from , as we know there is a limit to the amount of re-circ they can do before the water becomes too hot radioactively speaking, and the information indicates that sea-water is still finding it's way into #3 and #4 ( I bet it's the exchanger , but the 'wall in the ground tepco wants to build" seems to imply some ground cracking issues ( ? Tepco so it could be spin , hard to say )

Which leads me to #3 , the temp got to 243C at teh top of the dry well and it is apparent that they added more water(as was surmised here a couple of days ago) , but the mass has grown too large and the water is not going to slow the reactions as they are now thermally shielded . The temps in the last three readings at the bottom of the CV have been 137, 149, 153C which has slowed somewhat from it's exponential heating of the last couple of days , but it indicates that teh uranium might be hitting stride ( a plateau ) inside a poolium deposit at the bottom of the CV( if one goes to the current web cam #3 is steaming like crazy) . The only reason they pumped water into 3 is because of the temperature rise as it appears they had been neglecting everything but #1 (as was surmised here earlier ). Unfortunately , at three this may have put them past a tipping point at being able to manage the heat output and will probably have to suffer through another criticality plateau ( as was surmised on this thread earlier ) , the down side is the question of cv integrity and the possibility of water / steam explosion . I tend to think it will react somewhat like a pulse jet ( but in really slow motion ) , although so far every time we have seen temps above 200c it's beeen corium /poolium on the move ...damn have to run...;-)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Steel Discussion

Fukushima Engineer Says He Helped Cover Up Flaw at Dai-Ichi Reactor No. 4

One of the reactors in the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant may have been relying on flawed steel to hold the radiation in its core, according to an engineer who helped build its containment vessel four decades ago. Mitsuhiko Tanaka says he helped conceal a manufacturing defect in the $250 million steel vessel installed at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi No. 4 reactor while working for a unit of Hitachi Ltd. (6501) in 1974.

The reactor, which Tanaka has called a “time bomb,” was shut for maintenance when the March 11 earthquake triggered a 7-meter (23-foot) tsunami that disabled cooling systems at the plant, leading to explosions and radiation leaks. “Who knows what would have happened if that reactor had been running?” Tanaka, who turned his back on the nuclear industry after the Chernobyl disaster, said in an interview last week.

“I have no idea if it could withstand an earthquake like this. It’s got a faulty reactor inside.” Tanaka’s allegations, which he says he brought to the attention of Japan’s Trade Ministry in 1988 and chronicled in a book two years later called “Why Nuclear Power is Dangerous,” have resurfaced after Japan’s worst nuclear accident on record. The No. 4 reactor was hit by explosions and a fire that spread from adjacent units as the crisis deepened.

More:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

reply to post by zorgon

Same reason as before man the thermal output of all that fissioning ( but not constant rapid criticality ) mass that just keeps getting larger a the bottom of those reactor basins , they can't re-use the water because it gets too radio active , and hot , so they are STILL doing the cheapest thing possible : ocean cooling, didn't Aeons pull the patent on that ocean as a storage tank rig yet? then we could slap Tepco like good patent trolls.

They could dig some pretty deep trenches fairly quickly with those nifty remote controlled backhoes, take the tanks off of tanker trucks link a few together and stick the cooling units of of refrigerator trucks on them , spray the trenches with the organo silane they already have on site in case of spills , throw a few feet of dirt on top to help radiation shielding and you would have a down and dirty MacGyver cooling unit , they could use a D.E. , Sand or cf138 filtration medium ( standard pool and industrial filtering equipment ) to help reduce the radionuclides and then only have to figure out how to handle and dispose of the waster media when they flush it ...not ideal but better tahn uranium and plutonium fluorcarbons analogs whafting every damn place

Thanks for starting up the wayback machine, Wert. Some of these older posts are uncannily accurate.

I bet this MacGuyver cooling is what they were doing with those backhoes AC caught in the zoomed webcam pics.

Got any more good ideas for Tepco et al, my friend?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Way back machine, I came across this little gem in my digging and thought you might like it

reply to post by SDoradus

Oh, holy crap...

C: In some of the images below the round floor is a large hole that lets you see deeper inside the reactor building. There appears to be a roundish structure below.

That, my friend, is the reactor pressure vessel itself (or what is left of it) where there was once uranium and plutonium rods separated by control rods. Notice in the top two photos that this is where a great deal of the steam is coming from. That is also a good indication that there is also no bottom to this structure.

The corium melted its way out the bottom just before the explosion, opening the inner part of the reactor up. When the steam flashed, it immediately filled the area right above it, which was apparently the reactor vessel. When the hydrogen explosion went off, it allowed the steam to escape violently as well.

I originally thought the steam explosion had come from around the sides of the RPV. Nope. It came from the RPV itself. That massive plume of dark gray smoke was the innards of the reactor being blown into the air.

You know, I have seen those things pretty close up... well, close enough for my tastes anyway... but I never thought I would look down into one (much less had a desire to). The plume must have been tremendously radioactive!

I also used to hate being right earlier in this thread. Now I think I hate being wrong even more.

TheRedneck

this is part of what TRN was reacting to:

Originally posted by Moshpet

A much better and clearer image of the ruins of reactor building #3.

A clear picture of the RPV, or rather what is left of it.

This was a thermal image taken of Reactor #3, NOTE: There is no significant heat source left in the position of where the reactor should be.

ALSO NOTE: the heat image shadow of the spent fuel pool, which IS intact, and holding both water and hot rods.

[QUOTE]

1- If the reactor core was intact, present and contained, there would be a complete thermal glow similar to the structure of the reactor. Not just odd hot spots. The reactor would be identifiable. It's not there as a definable heat source or even close. I can tell you right now, that any significant heat source will make a 'ghost' image of its containing structure.

1b- If you doubt that, get on the web and search for ' Thermal images,' and use additional key words, houses, tanks, MILITARY, winter, summer, planes, and any other heat source you can think of.

--------------------------

2- The RPV's lid is -gone-, both the concrete outer access shell and the reactor cap itself. That much us mad bombers firmly agree on.

2a- If the cement lids / and or caps are gone and the core was largely intact the heat source would be centered in the circle. NOT melted blobs or bits off to the edge of it.

2b- The heat source while it would be smaller than the pool would be -much- hotter than the pool, if the core was present and not blown sky high / melted into the bedrock. Simply due to a -lack of cooling-.

2b.1 - Google Thermite, Lava, and super hot materials burning through metals and industrial structures. You could also look up shaped charge munitions for additional information. A core melt is proven to be hotter than thermite.

2c- Since there is no large heat source greater than the pool, as shown in the thermal image, and centered in close proximity to where the core should reside, the core is 1- not intact, 2- likely in chunks all over the place and what remained followed the path of least resistance. Though what was left in containment structure and RCV, melted down into the bedrock. Since TEPCO is not trying to cool the reactor with water, but are trying to keep what is left in the pool cool; the reactor remnants itself does contain any fuel rods, thus no heat source.

2c.1 ITS ALL GONE BYE-BYE. (It's late and I think it makes the point really clear.)

2c.1a- QED: If TEPCO isn't trying to cool the reactor remains, it is an admission that the reactor remnants are scrap metal; and there is nothing they can do to cool what remains of the fuel there. Also it shows that the melted fuel isn't where they could cool it with water. (Even if they wanted to.)
[...../snip]

Anyhowz, sorry for the history spam! Hopefully some of it is helpful. Carry on!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Mmm more flashes that also seem to release smoke as well.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Tepco Says No. 3 Reactor Temperature Falls to Below 100 Celsius

okyo Electric Power Co. said the temperature of the No. 3 reactor pressure vessel at its crippled Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant fell to below 100 degrees Celsius (212 Fahrenheit), one of the conditions for achieving cold shutdown. The temperature on the outside of the base of the vessel was 98.4 degrees Celsius at 5:00 a.m. today from 102.7 degrees 24 hours earlier after the utility known as Tepco this month added a spraying system to cool the reactor, Junichi Matsumoto, a general manager, told reporters.

It doesn’t mean the reactor has reached cold shutdown status because the utility still needs to assess the amount of radioactive materials leaking from the reactor, he said. Temperatures remain higher than 100 degrees on other sections of the reactor, the utility said. Temperatures on the No. 1 reactor remain below 100 degrees Celsius after reaching that level around Aug. 20, Matsumoto said. The temperature of the bottom of the No. 1 reactor vessel was 85.1 degrees today, according to a table provided by the company.

[url=http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-05/tepco-says-no-3-reactor-temperature-falls-to-below-

Haha, that's because there's nothing left in there... oh those guys are like little weasels.... notice he says, "still needs to assess the amount of radioactive materials leaking from the reactor", that's the wiggle clause... there always is one for later. Classic disinfo tactics and they're getting better and better at it. Fortunately most folks aren't buying anymore sh*t lately, seems au du Tepco perfume isn't working to cover up the smell.
edit on 5-9-2011 by Wertwog because: crazy bitch society rules!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by YarlanZey

Yarlan and AC:

Almost looks like it's coming from Daini....

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Fukushima Blows Lid Off Exploited Labour

The Fukushima disaster has thrown up the first opportunity in decades to bring justice to thousands of unskilled workers who risk radioactive contamination to keep Japan’s nuclear power plants running. "Fukushima has created public awareness on a section of nuclear workers castigated as ‘radiation- exposed people’ but forming the dark underbelly of an industry that depends on them," says Minoru Nasu, spokesperson for the Japan Day Labourers Union.

Nasu, a long-time labour activist, says that while nuclear industry relies heavily on unskilled workers it has left it to thuggish subcontractors to marshal them as daily wagers. The common practice for the past several decades can best be described as "human auctioning," Nasu told IPS. Labourers gather at the crack of dawn at designated places such as public parks to be picked up by toughs who take them to the nuclear plants. According to figures available with the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, Japan’s regulator, of the 80,0000-odd workers at Japan’s 18 commercial nuclear power plants, 80 percent are contract workers.

At the Fukushima plant, 89 percent of the 10,000 workers in 2010 were on contract. The men are given contracts to do unskilled, dangerous work inside nuclear plants for months together. There are no guarantees in the event of an accident, or long-term health insurance against such diseases as leukaemia or other forms of cancer which may surface years after exposure to radiation. "When their work is completed, they are expected to simply disappear. Nobody cares about them," said Nasu.

More:

Anti-nuclear songs spread in Japan after crisis

In Japan, anti-nuclear songs have become popular among activists and young people in the wake of the nation's worst atomic accident. Songs protesting against nuclear power are played at rallies and on YouTube, while the music industry and television and radio stations largely ignore them. Female rapper Coma-chi's 'Say 'No!'' criticizes the mainstream media and government leaders for downplaying the risks of the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. The plant has leaked radioactive material since it was hit by the March earthquake and tsunami. 'Media and higher-ups, please tell only the truth without holding back any information. Even if life is in danger, you don't say anything.

The world is disgusted,' Coma-chi sings. 'If you are a father of someone, please feel citizens' anger. You say invisible harm does not pose immediate health risks, but it is harmful.' In early May, Coma-chi travelled to areas near the 20-kilometre no-go zone around the nuclear plant to bring money and everyday commodities to locals and also performed live. Another popular anti-nuclear song that also attracted hundreds of thousands of viewers on the internet is 'You Can't See It. You Can't Smell It, Either' by veteran reggae artist Rankin Taxi.

After his record label Toshiba EMI refused to release the songs, the album was sold through another company. Toshiba EMI, whose parent corporation built nuclear stations, explained its decision in a newspaper advertisement, saying the songs were 'too great to release,' Asahi reported.

Source and more to read:

Making Tohoku region final repository site for all nuclear waste simply not fair

When candidates running for the post of Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) president were giving a joint press conference on Aug. 27 in Tokyo, then Prime Minister Naoto Kan was in Fukushima bowing apologetically to Fukushima Gov. Yuhei Sato. "I have no choice but to ask that Fukushima Prefecture host an interim storage facility for nuclear waste and contaminated soil," Kan said. "What are you talking about? This has come out of nowhere," Sato responded. Toshio Seya, the head of the Fukushima Chamber of Commerce and adviser to Toho Bank, witnessed the melodramatic negotiations. Later, at a round-table meeting with reporters, Seya said, "Tokyo is the beneficiary of the nuclear power plant. Why not build (a radioactive waste storage facility) in Tokyo's Odaiba district?" (The comment was published in the Asahi Shimbun's Aug. 31 morning edition.) Although shadowed by the drama of changing prime ministers, the above anecdote points to a serious problem that both anti-nuclear and pro-nuclear camps must face: where to store nuclear waste, at least for the time being. Massive amounts of spent nuclear fuel are accumulating at nuclear power plants across Japan. On average, 64 percent of waste storage capacities at power plants are currently utilized. At old nuclear power stations, like those in Fukushima and Niigata prefectures, the figure is close to 90 percent,Source:

new topics

top topics

<< 1048  1049  1050    1052  1053  1054 >>

join