It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 105.htm
<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thanks Scott. Following up on our breaking news from earlier, some new details from Japan's nuclear safety agency - 2 workers are missing after the explosion at the No.4 reactor

live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

No problem here at all. I'm just saying keep it coming. That is what its all about here on ATS. This whole thing is blowing my mind right now and we are witnessing something so horrifying, so unbelievable that we all need to work together and stay informed. This chain of events is the true definition of a perfect storm. How much more can they take?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I don't post on here often, but I would just like to say, I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to post things what they have been told. Either by friends or family, or just acquaintances from where-ever.

Otherwise we might as well just keep flicking through the news channels because that's all this thread would be. One long list of links pointing to something that has been reported in the news.

Whether we choose to believe what someone posts is down to each individual, and will normally be proved true or false eventually!

Once something has been proved either way, we can make an informed decision on whether we choose to believe that person or not.

Just my thoughts!

So everyone, I for one appreciate all kinds of information, please continue

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Here is a good article that pretty much backs up what I have been told. I am rather surprised to see such a truthful article come from the MSM at this point.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
Some highlights:

Damage at the number two reactor at the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power complex is worse than thought, the Japanese government admitted tonight, sparking fears for human health both in Japan and the U.S.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has admitted it is 'quite possible' the fallout could reach America.

The MSM has been reporting there is very little danger.

Initially authorities downplayed the explosion. However industry executives told the New York Times that the explosion damaged a containment facility - and now the situation has spiralled out of control.

Officials admit to downplaying the situation. Reactor #2 containter has cracks. It is out of control, just like my sources have told me.

Workers at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant fled last night after a third explosion raised serious concerns about a meltdown

Workers fled in fear just like my sources said.

The exclusion zone keeps being raised. First it was 3km, then 10, now 20. This plant has gone through all the steps that occurred at Three Mile Island, and that led to total meltdown.

Exclusion zone is increased as the situation get worse. BTW, look for the exclusion zone to be increase again to 30km soon.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just wanted to give an FYI. I have been following this close. Seems about the time the kiddies get home from school that gets posted on a whole bunch of threads not just this one. I do not think it was directed at anyone here per sey. i think it is done to keep the "tweets" to a min. Also for anyone who may know is that what I think it is at the bottom of the graphic in this post?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thanks.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoosKept240
Thanks Scott. Following up on our breaking news from earlier, some new details from Japan's nuclear safety agency - 2 workers are missing after the explosion at the No.4 reactor

live.reuters.com...

This type of news leaves me puzzled.
An earlier explosion that hit 11 workers also supposedly caused 7 or them to go "missing" (at least initially)
How can people go "missing"?
Do you guys think it's just a matter of bad translations?

Or these people actually go missing inside the reactor, or are thrown so far away by the explosion that they can't be found?

I can't understand this word "missing"..

Unless these people actually try and escape and hide not to be found like our friend said...
edit on 15-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Shouldn't there be projections of best case to worst case scenario by now or is it all happening too fast? I'm not sure what the implications are if they all melt down. I missed the multiple nuclear plant meltdown class in school.

Its times like these that I wish we could all come together and forget our differences around the world to help these poor people. If I was President I would be in the situation room with all of my top advisers right now ready to send anything and everything at a moments notice.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

If they are close, I would think it would be unsafe to operate them, if for no other reason than the area will be too radioactive to bring in personnel. So they are dead.

The best thing that could happen is they are completely shut down and cold before being abandoned, If so, the containment walls that were built to keep radiation in would also keep radiation out in this case. The plant would remain safe and sound as long as it was undisturbed. As for actually getting the existing fuel out.... I really don't know. My first thought is that if the area is radioactive to a high enough degree, it could increase reactions in the fuel if exposed, but there may be ways to remove the fuel safely that I don't know about.

Anyway, an intact non-operational plant far enough away to not be subjected to the intense heat of a meltdown should probably not be a major concern.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by monica86

Left in fear not being able to do any more good. If they are trying there best, with no power, pumps, etc and they are getting explosions, seems time to leave is imminent. UK news is already reporting they are abandoning at least one plant. Considering how close the four are, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the others will soon follow

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
Shouldn't there be projections of best case to worst case scenario by now or is it all happening too fast? I'm not sure what the implications are if they all melt down. I missed the multiple nuclear plant meltdown class in school.

You need to realize that IF a worst case scenario does happen here, it is completely unmanageable.

There really isn't anything more that can be said or done.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Left in fear not being able to do any more good. If they are trying there best, with no power, pumps, etc and they are getting explosions, seems time to leave is imminent. UK news is already reporting they are abandoning at least one plant. Considering how close the four are, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the others will soon follow

So these people missing are actually hiding and escaping from the plant, in your opinion?
That would be serious indeed

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I want to know what the US and other foreign experts are contributing to manage or prevent further progression of this accident in japan? we see a lot about how experts are being consulted, etc., but where are the results?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

I'm not sure what the implications are if they all melt down. I missed the multiple nuclear plant meltdown class in school.

We all did; there is no such class, because it has never happened. This is new territory.

Everything I have been posting is based on how I know a reactor and its components will react when exposed to certain known conditions. That's probably what the operators are doing, and it's really all anyone can do. There may well be some interactions I do not know about or haven't thought out correctly. Hence my continued assertions that this is just a little knowledge being applied, not guarantees.

It's a huge, disastrous experiment.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm a little confused right now. We had explosions in reactors 1-3 and a fire in 4 earlier today. So did reactor 4 also explode at some point within the last 4 hours or so ??

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
They will not be able to hide the real truth about what is going on for long.
english.kyodonews.jp...

Fukushima nuke plant situation 'worsened considerably'

The situation at the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant in northeastern Japan ''has worsened considerably,'' the Institute for Science and International Security said in a statement released Tuesday.

Referring to fresh explosions that occurred earlier in the day at the site and problems in a pool storing spent nuclear fuel rods, the Washington-based think tank said, ''This accident can no longer be viewed as a level 4 on the International Nuclear and Radiological Events scale that ranks events from 1 to 7.''

Noting that a level 4 incident involves ''only local radiological consequences,'' it said the ongoing crisis is ''now closer to a level 6, and it may unfortunately reach a level 7'' -- a worst case scenario with extensive health and environmental consequences.

That's right. Level 6 with the real possibility to reach level 7. The media in America is still downplaying this.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

So these people missing are actually hiding and escaping from the plant, in your opinion?
That would be serious indeed

Well the explosions are not yet bad enough to vaporize people, so the only other way they would be missing is if the explosion was bad enough to bury someone, and I don't see signs of that yet. The few left fighting the battle must already be getting to their limits of tolerance. There comes a point where nothing you can do makes it any better... so leaving to stay alive is not cowardly at this point.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks for doing your best to put things into perspective with what little knowledge you have about a situation like this Redneck. I guess I'm just grabbing at straws right now trying to make heads or tales of this like everyone else.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
New fire at reactor 4

Reported on bbc news (on tv) no link sorry

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by porky1981
I want to know what the US and other foreign experts are contributing to manage or prevent further progression of this accident in japan? we see a lot about how experts are being consulted, etc., but where are the results?

Would you be willing to send a team of your experts, engineers, physicists and military personnel needed to this site on a potentially suicidal mission to 'help'?

And if you gathered these people, how many would willingly go?

Would you go?

There are no easy answers here, no quick fixes, and it just keeps getting worse.

The only things that can be done now are... and that is a continued effort to cool the reactor cores to prevent a complete meltdown... But at some point, if the radiation gets any higher, that effort will have to be abandoned as well.

Pray for those who are fighting this now, they are already likely making the ultimate sacrifice, knowingly in order to hopefully save lives.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Man this is hard to follow.. But according to this unite 4 is on fire again,, I thought they put that fire out..

www.zerohedge.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join