It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1042.htm
<< 1039  1040  1041    1043  1044  1045 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by Human0815
According this Article:

In the case of the Tokai Nuclear Power Plant, the first commercial plant to undergo decommissioning, spent fuel was removed over a span of three years beginning in 1998, and was transported to Britain for reprocessing. Dismantling of the facilities began in 2001, with current efforts being made toward the dismantling of heat exchangers; workers have not yet begun to take the reactor itself apart. The entire process is expected to be an 88.5-billion-yen project

involving 563,000 people.

Source

Is this really possible, 563.000 People?
How many they will need for F'Shima?

Well, let's see. Chernobyl needed 500,000 liquidators. It was 1/4 the size of one of these reactors. But let's be optimistic and say we're twice as efficient and have better equipment now (haha). That would make 1 million workers per reactor = 4 million "volunteers". Russia conscripted it's military, Japan does not have a conscript army - it's all volunteer.

The only thing the Japanese Government can do
is to bring in Foreign Workers from India for example!

When this Numbers are correct (i am in a little bit of doubt about this)
they will need for F'Shima at least 30.000.000- 50.000.000 / 30- 50 Million People
who are working straight and under safe Regulations!

Japan has 56 Cores!

What a incredible stupid Idea to create this Plants?

Fight the Lobby, now!
Hack them!
edit on 29-8-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Startup Kurion says Japan nuclear water cleanup is working

In June, a group of nuclear tech companies, including Silicon Valley startup Kurion, started cleaning the tens of millions of gallons of contaminated water at the Fukushima nuclear power plants in Japan. Now Kurion says the efforts are working, and cesium levels in the water have dropped by more than 40 percent. Three-year-old Kurion makes a cleanup material (they call it ion specific media) that soaks up radioactive cesium and iodine in contaminated water and contains the waste by shrinking it down to a small-enough size, then turning it into glass, a process called vitrification. The company is backed by investors Lux Capital and Firelake Capital, and is the only American company and startup company to work on the Japanese cleanup efforts.

Start up Kurion says...
Rbrtj >> American ingenuity at work

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Some Links to info...

Index of all the survey maps of Daiichi:
www.tepco.co.jp...

And then a bunch of stuff on this 8/29/11 thing:
www.jaif.or.jp...

And some ridiculous articles by Dr.Michio Ishikawa:
www.gengikyo.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

LOTS of 'off the radar' "experimentation", was certainly happening at Fukushima Daiichi, and either they are the dumbest nuclear power-plant operators in the world or they are criminally insane, or exceedingly greedy . In either case their is no rational or irrational method of connecting the emergency systems of two reactors in such a way ... for starters...any engineer can see through tepco and the Japanese government lies and they are totally in fantasy space, in a PR sense ...no one believes them. it is nice that they have achieved a kind of hallmark: the JAPANESE government ( which is part of Tepco ) has become icon for dishonesty for the next ...well..as long as mankind survives on this planet

Good on ya SL, glad to have you back. missed your input.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Fire trucks at Fukushima

I made a mistake concerning the timeline associated with the manholes being blown. In the story on the Fukushima Fifty that stated that the Tokyo fire dept fire trucks were unable to access R3 to spray water due to blown manholes everywhere, I thought this occurred prior to the R3 explosion. However, fire trucks from Tokyo didn't arrive at the plant until March 18th, after the R3 explosion.

There is no report of roads impassable due to blown manholes until after the R3 explosion. Previously the on site fire trucks couldnt enter certain areas due to debris left behind from the tsunami, but no mention of manholes. The openings left from displaced manholes are for the most part seen around R3 and the switching yard to the west.

ajw.asahi.com...
www.jaif.or.jp...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Heres the final Fuku map, unless someone thinks of something else that needs inclusion.

Dont mind my "Murderers Row" label. I couldnt help myself.
edit on 29-8-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Another one of those..."My Brain Goes Numb..."

The ministry released a map on Monday showing the contaminated land.

The map shows 29.46 million bequerels of cesium on one-square-meter land in a location in Okuma Town, several hundreds meters from the nuclear plant.

But total incredulity:

The figure exceeds the IAEA standard of 10 million bequerels per square meter under which people are required to temporarily evacuate.

In the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, people in areas contaminated with 555,000 bequerels of cesium per one square meter were required to temporarily relocate.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

My eyes are rolling back in my head...it takes 10 million bequerels in order for a temporary evacuation to occur?

I'm so glad I don't drink hard liquor!!!

- Purple Chive

edit on 29-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

And then this Dr. Doo Doo Face...on August 8th...

Dr. Michio Ishikawa Chief Adviser(Former President & CEO) Japan Nuclear Technology Institute(JANTI)

Let me make something clear concerning cesium contamination.As detailed on the website of the Japan Nuclear Technology Institute, the spread and strength of contamination in this case are far smaller in scale than those reported following the Chernobyl accident, due to the existence of containment vessels and the absence of a graphite fire.

www.gengikyo.jp...

PUKE!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Great news - early rice harvests are 'safe' - (define your own 'safe') and have starrted shipping out to supermarkets.

Rice farmers in Fukushima Prefecture have begun shipping early-harvested rice after it cleared tests for possible radioactive contamination. Rice is Japan's staple food.

The first batch of newly harvested rice was loaded onto trucks at a farm in Koriyama City on Monday.

Earlier this month, Fukushima checked radiation levels of early-harvested varieties of rice at paddies of all rice growers in the prefecture. Test results confirmed the safety of all the checked rice, although a small amount of radioactive cesium was detected in rice grown at one location.

I honestly do think that Japanese farmers generally do not want to poison other people, and I am sure they are pleased and relieved that the government has given most of this early rice a clean bill of health. Unfortunately from what we have seen, it is unlikely that the meters are reading the correct dosage or else the safety level is too high. As a government, perhaps you do not want to let your people starve even if the radiation will eventually get them.

I dont know, what is the government to do when they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Somewhere, something has to 'compromise', and as Machiavelli said, maybe the end justifies the means. All governments do it and I am sure ours would do and does just the same.

===============================
The Japanese ministry of ag. have appointed lots of agencies who can do radioactive testing for them. Basically it seems that if you have a germanium radiation detector, you can do this for the government.

Agencies inspecting radioactive substances on export food(As of August 23)

I wonder if anyone knows anyone from these companies and whether they are reporting the correct values. I suppose these days, any government contract is useful and you would not want to lose it by 'promoting panic and unrest'. However, there are too many companies for them all to be fiddling the figures, so it is likely that some will tell the truth.

I notice that the MAFF are not taking responsibility for the appointments though. My bolded text.

(2) Regarding specific inspection methods and charge, please ask directly to each inspection agency.
(3) MAFF does not assure the implementation of inspections by agencies listed below because these agencies are those that have conducted inspections or that have possibilities of conducting inspections.

edit on 29 Aug 2011 by qmantoo because: added min of ag stuff

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
enenews.com...
23,000 times the plutonium released, than prieviously stated. HOLY CRAP !!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I spent a couple of hours filling up the picture bank of a French anti-nuke page today and tripped over some interesting pics. I will let you decide how interesting.

These were all taken April 15. We don't see the area north of #2 often.
www.scoop.it...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Germanium Detectors

Germanium detectors are semiconductor diodes having a P-I-N structure in which the Intrinsic (I) region is sensitive to ionizing radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma rays. Under reverse bias, an electric field extends across the intrinsic or depleted region. When photons interact with the material within the depleted volume of a detector, charge carriers (holes and electrons) are produced and are swept by the electric field to the P and N electrodes. This charge, which is in proportion to the energy deposited in the detector by the incoming photon, is converted into a voltage pulse by an integral charge sensitive preamplifier. Because germanium has a relatively low band gap, these detectors must be cooled in order to reduce the thermal generation of charge carriers (thus reverse leakage current) to an acceptable level. Otherwise, leakage current induced noise destroys the energy resolution of the detector. Liquid nitrogen, which has a temperature of 77�K is the common cooling medium for such detectors. The detector is mounted in a vacuum chamber which is attached to or inserted into an LN2 dewar or an electrically powered cooler. The sensitive detector surfaces are thus protected from moisture and condensable contaminants.

Germanium Detectors: note company name

Without seeing the detector it is imposible to know exactly what detector they are using, but my guess would be a company already invested in the mess.
Personally I would mandate the use of several brands, but then again H@mer S^mpson is a freaking genius compared to Jap-co. rbrtj

edit on 29-8-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

A couple more shots from that page. Fukushima 1966 before they built the monster, and a picture of the CSFP from the past.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Fukushima schools unsafe after clean-up

Greenpeace said on Monday that schools and surrounding areas located 60 km (38 miles) from Japan's tsunami-hit nuclear power plant were unsafe for children, showing radiation readings as much as 70 times internationally accepted levels. The environmental group took samples at and near three schools in Fukushima city, well outside the 20 km exclusion zone from Tokyo Electric Power's stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex in Japan's northeast. "No parent should have to choose between radiation exposure and education for their child," said Kazue Suzuki, Greenpeace Japan's anti-nuclear project head. The government had already taken steps to decontaminate schools in Fukushima prefecture, where the crippled plant has been leaking radiation since it was hit by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. Calling the measures "deplorably late and inadequate," Greenpeace said it had found average dose rates above the maximum allowed under international standards, of 1 millisievert per year, or 0.11 microsievert per hour. Japan's education ministry on Friday set a looser standard, allowing up to 1 microsievert per hour of radiation in schools. Greenpeace said that inside a high school it tested, the reading was 0.5 microsievert per hour, breaching international standards even after the government's clean-up. At a staircase connecting a school playground to the street, it found radiation amounting to 7.9 microsieverts per hour, or about 70 times the maximum allowed, exceeding even Japan's own standard.

Greenpeace urged the government to delay reopening the schools as planned on Sept. 1 after the summer break and relocate children in the most affected cities until decontamination was complete. Fukushima city dismissed Greenpeace's calls, saying the schools were safe under the government's norms. "We're finished decontaminating the schools, and they no longer have high radiation levels," city official Yoshimasa Kanno said. He added that postponing the opening of more than 100 schools in the city based on Greenpeace's findings of "only three" would be unreasonable.

More to read

Japan is Venting Radiation High Into Atmosphere

Radioactive cesium exceeding 8,000 becquerels/kg has been detected in the ashes from burning the regular household garbage in Kanto and Tohoku regions. The Ministry of the Environment has decided to apply the same rule as the disaster debris and allow the ashes to be buried. The municipalities will be able to bury the ashes that they have stored temporarily, but it may be difficult to obtain consent from the residents living near the disposal facilities. "Burning that waste and with radioactive, rain will come down again upon their own people, as well as Canada and the U.S. They're refusing to see the seriousness of this disaster and it's making it worse.", says nuclear engineer Arnie Gundersen. In other areas it has reached as high as "100,000 becquerels/kg", in Fukushima, ashes, after burning household garbage . . . 95,300 becquerels/kg.

This new policy is to be applied to ashes from disaster debris and regular garbage that are radioactive. It's not mentioned in the article but the ashes and slag from the radioactive sewage sludge will likely be disposed under the same policy - i.e. burn and bury. Some garbage incinerators and sludge incinerators at waste processing plants and sewage treatment plants in cities in Kanto have become so radioactive that they have to be shut down. The entire country is potentially a nuclear waste disposal site, because of this one disaster. Those following all this know Fukushima City should have been evacuated right from the beginning. - Fukushima Cesium-137 Leaks 'Equal 168 Hiroshimas'

With regard to Fukushima, Kobe University Radiation Expert Prof. Tomoya Yamauchi, said in regard to this city of 290,000 People: "Evacuation Must Be Conducted As Soon As Possible".

Source
edit on 30-8-2011 by Human0815 because: link

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Tepco has released another hand-out picture, and this time it's reactor #4 at Daiini ! Hmmm? So early PDF's say #1, #2, and #4 have reported problems. They evacuate 3 KM's. The beach dropped 5 or 6 ft. They have a basement full of radiated water. Some barge movement. Iodine releases on the charts. A turbine building fire, in which they show us the Daiichi turbine fire picture. I think another chart showing hotter dust at Daiini, than Daiichi and maybe an ocean soil sample too, although I think they stated it drifted down from daiichi. You'll straighten me out if I'm wrong on any of this, so that's cool. Now, I just took a peek at the March 21 NISA PDF, and what I found odd was they report the problems on the 11 but didn't shut #4 down untill 3/15. Probably nothing.
Do you think this guy is over dressed for Daiini? Am I way out in left field on my thinking?
I know the TBS cam swung over there in the spring when we saw the barge. Has anyone seen a picture of Daiini? The only one I have is from 3/11. I have no idea if this is Daiini, but that's the way it was marked. This looks like a fire beside a plant to me. You decide. I've rambled enough. The Tepco link.
www.tepco.co.jp...

The reported Pic of Daiini 3/11

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

The second picture in your post was taken at Daini (at least according to TEPCO). You can find the original picture here linked to from their photo page at 11th April at Daini.

And according to this picture the radiation at Daini can't be high as this worker don't use any protective gears other than a floating vest:

So whatever happend at Daini at least it can't be worse than Daiichi.

These were all taken April 15. We don't see the area north of #2 often.

At least the picture of the door was taken in March and published in April this this can't be true. And it's not #2 in Daiichi. So the source for this is not really reliable?
edit on 30-8-2011 by UnixFE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
PDF - Explanation of a syncroscope as used in nuclear reactors

Great photos from that French site, AC.

In nuclear reactors, do they have large airlocks, do they?
I suppose we couldn't tell the difference from an airlock going into a reactor and an airlock going to some underground complex, could we? There are reports of underground tunnels extending many kilometres in other areas of the world, so why not here in Fukushima. Why couldn't it connect Daini to Daiichi? The blast does not have to have originated under Daiichi but could have travelled many kilometres if it was a large blast and shock wave.

The image of the door being forced open is interesting as there are several marks on it as if something large was trying to get in and I actually wonder if it was the force of the tsunami which forced in there or something large and heavy being pushed by an explosion. The thing is, I would have expected to see a large object just lying inside the forced-open doors if it was that big. If it was just water, I would not have expected to see damage scraped off the actual doors themselves. But.. hey.. these things happen in strange ways I suppose.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Press Release (Aug 30,2011) Partial corrections to results of nuclide analyses of radioactive materials at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station

With regard to previous press releases concerning results of nuclide analyses of radioactive materials at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station of TEPCO, it has been confirmed that there were some incorrect descriptions and therefore we hereby would like to correct them as follows and in the attachment.

(1) Clerical errors on density limit by the announcement of reactor regulation and half-life In the press releases there were some clerical errors on density limit by the announcement of reactor regulation and half-life.

(2) Errors on measured value In the press releases there were some errors on measured values in some results of nuclide analyses.

(3) Errors on scaling factors In the press releases there were some errors on scaling factors which were calculated as the ratio of density of sample (measured value) to density limit by the announcement of reactor regulation.

(4) Errors on a unit in measured values In the press releases we partly used Bq/cm3 instead of Bq/Kg by mistake.

(5) Errors on calculation formula In the press releases we used wrong calculating formulas and as a result we announced wrong measured values. -A set of the data and materials on past nuclide analyses in question and for correction *English translation of the attachment is now being developed and it takes a while to complete them. We will post the translations when it is prepared. (The document written in Japanese below will be replaced by English translations.) We apologize for this inconvenience caused.

Source
edit on 30-8-2011 by Human0815 because: Format

Imo. to many Errors, it look more like Disinformation

How can a Company that handle MOX and co. can make so many errors
and where is the border to creating, willfully, confusion?
edit on 30-8-2011 by Human0815 because: add of info

edit on 30-8-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Nuclear plant worker dies of acute leukemia

So it has begun...of course it will be denied...that Daiichi caused it...

A worker in his 40s who had been engaged in recovery work at the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has died of acute leukemia, plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Tuesday.

The man had been exposed to 0.5 millisievert of radiation at the plant and showed no internal exposure to radiation, said the power company, known as TEPCO.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

And then this is suddenly announced

Radiation limit to be lowered for Fukushima staff

Japan's health ministry will restore the cumulative radiation exposure limit for emergency workers at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant to the original 100 millisieverts this autumn. The current limit is 250 milisieverts.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

The lies, the lies, the lies...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Schools in Tokyo ban use of playground sandboxes over radiation fears

A number of schools in Tokyo are banning the use of playground sandboxes or replacing their sand due to radiation fears even though the capital is more than 200 kilometers away from the crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant.

While there is no government-set standard over the radiation levels in sandboxes, there are reports that levels of radiation exceeding standards set voluntarily by local municipalities have been detected in sandboxes at schools in Tokyo. Local governments and school officials are intensifying their calls on the central government to draw up a safety standard at an early date.

In Tokyo's Katsushika Ward, officials measured atmospheric radiation dosages in 378 sandboxes at kindergartens, elementary and junior high schools and parks in the ward between Aug. 3 and 17 upon requests by residents. As a result, radiation doses in 29 sandboxes surpassed the 0.25 microsieverts per hour level set by the ward as its own safety limit based on the standards drawn up by the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) and other organizations. If radiation doses exceed that standard, a person who stayed at such a location for eight hours a day would be exposed to more than 1 millisievert of radiation a year, according to the ward.

Based on the measurement results, the Katsushika Ward Office has requested those responsible for the facilities to suspend the use of their sandboxes. The operators said they will take such safety measures as scraping off the topsoil and replacing the sand. "We are once again calling on children to wash their hands after they exercise outside," said Keiko Imai, principal of the Handa Nursery School in Katsushika Ward, whose sandbox was found to be emitting 0.31 microseiverts of radiation per hour. "In order to remove anxiety among children and their parents and guardians, we want the central government to immediately draw up clear safety standards," she said.

Source

3 Fukushima nuke plant workers blasted with beta radiation

At least two workers at the crisis-stricken Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant were blasted with more than 15 millisieverts of beta radiation on Aug. 28, plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) has announced. Two of the men were replacing parts of a system for decontaminating radioactive substance-contaminated water when they were irradiated. One other worker with them at the time also likely absorbed a high radiation dose, and his exposure level is now being checked. The men will undergo diagnostic tests beginning on Aug. 30 to assess their condition. According to the TEPCO announcement of Aug. 29, the three men were replacing the filters on the decontamination system between 10 and 11:30 a.m. on Aug. 28, pulling out submerged components to replace the filters. The maximum beta radiation exposure to workers during this task is capped at 15 millisieverts, but two of the men absorbed doses of 23.4 and 17.1 millisieverts, respectively. Beta rays are a type of radiation that can penetrate through the skin and into the body, and total exposure is legally limited to 1,000 millisieverts. The three men involved noticed they had gone over the 15-millisievert limit for their task on Aug. 28, but did not report it to their supervisor until the following day as they thought the exposure level was within legal limits.

full story
edit on 30-8-2011 by Human0815 because: more info

top topics

<< 1039  1040  1041    1043  1044  1045 >>

join