It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1040.htm
<< 1037  1038  1039    1041  1042  1043 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I notice that they have the base for the cover in place at R#1 and there are men working this side (althought difficult to see in the piss-poor video image).

What are the 3 or 4 cranes doing to the right of R#4 have we explained this?

I also wondered about the #2/3 tower. The base, just above the tree-line seems to be bulging out at the sides. It maybe an optical illusion of the piss-poor image quality. Can I have opinions on this please?

So Wertwog, you think the image containing the rods strewn about the place, is showing spare rods kept at the spent fuel pool?

It does seem strange that they have not melted if they are 'live' ones, but I dont know about nuclear stuff like others do.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Forgive me for doing this, but I feel that it is really important that we use links properly. This means putting a description of what is linked to, INSIDE the link itself. This also means that we can find it later if we need to. A URL address tells us nothing by itself, but if it contains some kind of description, then it is far more useful. In the case of this thread, my analysis program can display why the link is relevant to the the discussion. It is like having a title on a page or PDF file.

Mods, if you feel it is not relevant, please move it.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Experts split on how to decommission Fukushima nuclear plant

What is actually going to take place at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, where word is that the four reactors that were crippled in the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami will eventually be decommissioned? The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) defines "decommissioning" as the process of removing spent fuel from reactors and dismantling all facilities. Ultimately, the site of a decommissioned reactor is meant to be reverted into a vacant lot. In 1996, the then Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute (JAERI) -- now the Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) -- finished decommissioning its Japan Power Demonstration Reactor.

The decommissioning process of the Tokai Nuclear Power Plant in the Ibaraki Prefecture village of Tokai began in 1998 and is set to end in fiscal 2020, while the No. 1 and No. 2 nuclear reactors at the Hamaoka Nuclear Power Plant in the Shizuoka Prefecture city of Omaezaki are slated for decommissioning by fiscal 2036. Around the world, only around 15 nuclear reactors have thus far been dismantled. The standard decommissioning process entails six major steps: 1. Remove spent fuel rods, 2. Remove radioactive materials that have become affixed to reactor pipes and containers, 3. Wait for radiation levels to go down with time, 4. Dismantle reactors and other internal vessels and pipes, 5. Dismantle the reactor buildings, and 6. Make the site into a vacant lot.

Read more

TEPCO knew waters could reach 15 meters

Tokyo Electric Power Co. predicted in 2008 that a tsunami could reach a height of more than 15 meters at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, according to government sources. The discovery of this prediction, made by the government's nuclear accident investigation and verification committee, contradicts TEPCO's assertions that the size of the March 11 tsunami was "unpredictable." In the 2008 assessment, TEPCO predicted that a more than 10-meter-high tsunami could hit the nuclear plant. The March 11 tsunami at the plant was 14 to 15 meters high. However, TEPCO did not incorporate its 2008 assessment in its countermeasures against tsunami, and only reported its findings to the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency on March 7 this year--four days before the March 11 disaster.

According to TEPCO, the assessment was made after the government's Headquarters for Earthquake Research Promotion released updated data on the probabilities of earthquakes in July 2002. TEPCO made its 2008 assessment based on the premise that an earthquake of the same magnitude as the Meiji Sanriku Earthquake in 1896, which is believed to have been magnitude-8.3, would occur off Fukushima Prefecture. It calculated the height of tsunami that might hit the Fukushima No. 1 and No. 2 nuclear power plants in such an event. The utility found that tsunami 8.4 meters to 10.2 meters high could strike near the Fukushima No. 1 plant's water-intake facility. It also predicted that the water would move inland and could reach a height of 15.7 meters above sea level at the Nos. 1 to 4 reactors, and 13.7 meters at the Nos. 5 and 6 reactors.

After the assessment, in December 2008, TEPCO used study results from the National Institute of Industrial Science and Technology to calculate the damage tsunami might cause if an earthquake of the same magnitude as the 869 Jogan Earthquake occurred off Fukushima or Miyagi prefectures.

More to read

Anger in tsunami zone over Japan power games

As Japan's political elite readies for yet another leadership showdown on Monday, there is widespread anger about the Tokyo power games among survivors of the March 11 quake and tsunami disaster. Almost six months after the catastrophe, tens of thousands of people still live in crowded shelters and temporary homes, many mourning loved ones, fearful of radiation and without jobs, homes or a clear idea about their future. The government's disaster response has drawn fierce criticism, forcing Prime Minister Naoto Kan to announce he will quit and setting off frantic jockeying among those eager to replace him at the ruling-party vote. "I'm disgusted with things over there," said Ikuko Takita, who lives in a temporary home because the massive ocean wave took away her house in Ofunato, 420 kilometres (260 miles) northeast of Tokyo. "I feel like I'm watching events in another country," said Takita, 60.

Source

Govt too hasty in deciding on prolonged evacuation

The government has decided that people whose homes are in areas where there is believed to be severe radioactive contamination due to the crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant will not be able to return for a long time. The areas in question are located in the no-entry zone that stretches over a 20-kilometer radius from the crippled nuclear complex. The areas' residents may be forced to stay away for 10 to 20 years. The government decided to keep the areas off-limits, and may lease or purchase plots of land there from their owners. A final decision will be made on the specific range of areas to be designated as highly contaminated after the opinions of the Fukushima prefectural government and concerned municipalities are heard, according to the government. There has been little progress in efforts to determine how much the areas in the affected regions have been contaminated. The government's decision was extremely abrupt, since it is unclear on what basis it decided residents likely cannot return home for such a long period. === Remove contamination first

Read
edit on 28-8-2011 by Human0815 because: links

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
Oh Canada, How low you have sunk. The CBC also helped get this through by not telling Canadians what the hell is going on.
For 60 years Canadians handed them money. A country of 15 million people financed them building towers coast to coast, and right up to the arctic, so that every Canuck, no matter where, would have a link to their neighbors. This was a sacred trust. We don't care if they ever turn a profit. Just don't lie to us. That was the deal. Well, in the last 5 months an illusion of this long standing social contract, is long gone. They too seem to in the grip of the nuclear mafia. They wouldn't know a brave journalist if they tripped over one. They make me so mad I could spit hockey pucks and beaver tails!!

www.cbc.ca...

As a fellow Canuck, feel the pain! I think you underestimated us by a fair amount though - there are about 40 million of us now. Wiki - Canada pop. It means nothing that Fukushima is spewing all over NA, the nuclear dream must LIVE! Darlington and Pickering are some of the worst cited nuke plants on earth being right in the middle of heavily populated areas of 3 million +, but that doesn't matter either. We don't care that these plants leak and poison Lake Ontario, one of the few remaining fresh large water sources on the planet. We don't care about the billions of subsidies we hand over in our taxes. The Frankenstein monster will benefit us ALL!

Canada has 18 nukes and hasn't built one in several years... this is a disappointing and disastrous step backwards. I imagine the next one will be in the tar sands (Alberta) since they need power so badly to fire the plants that heat up the rock to extract the bitumen. Cited 30km from Lac Cardinal near Peace River it's within spitting distance of the tar sands and the most powerful fresh water resource in Canada, the Athabasca river which of course is already under threat of being poisoned by the tar sands. God only knows how the texas pipeline project is going to impact all this, but busy little beavers at destroying our environment aren't we 40 million tuque wearers?

Site selected for Alberta nuclear plant The prospect of a nuclear-fuelled Alberta moved closer to reality after a Calgary-based company filed for a licence to build the province's first reactor.

Link to article . After all, one fossil fuel based economy deserves another right?

Originally posted by qmantoo

---
So Wertwog, you think the image containing the rods strewn about the place, is showing spare rods kept at the spent fuel pool?

It does seem strange that they have not melted if they are 'live' ones, but I dont know about nuclear stuff like others do.

Yes Qmantoo, that is what I think. It's near impossible for rods to be intact without cooling. Unless we have entered another dimension, the laws of physics apply uniformly.
The casings must have either 1) never had fuel, or 2) the fuel has escaped without impacting the rods -- not likely.
edit on 28-8-2011 by Wertwog because: added something

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
According this Article:

In the case of the Tokai Nuclear Power Plant, the first commercial plant to undergo decommissioning, spent fuel was removed over a span of three years beginning in 1998, and was transported to Britain for reprocessing. Dismantling of the facilities began in 2001, with current efforts being made toward the dismantling of heat exchangers; workers have not yet begun to take the reactor itself apart. The entire process is expected to be an 88.5-billion-yen project

involving 563,000 people.

Source

Is this really possible, 563.000 People?
How many they will need for F'Shima?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

It's near impossible for rods to be intact without cooling. Unless we have entered another dimension, the laws of physics apply uniformly. The casings must have either 1) never had fuel, or 2) the fuel has escaped without impacting the rods -- not likely

Thanks for your reply. Then, I have another question.

What happened to all the rods in the first few days after the explosions. There were hundreds all strewn about on roofs and on the ground. They would have no cooling and they should all have melted into little puddles of monstrously high radioactivity by now.

Dont get me wrong, I can see your point and it makes total sense, but so does asking the question about all those rods from the explosion too. :-)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
According this Article:

In the case of the Tokai Nuclear Power Plant, the first commercial plant to undergo decommissioning, spent fuel was removed over a span of three years beginning in 1998, and was transported to Britain for reprocessing. Dismantling of the facilities began in 2001, with current efforts being made toward the dismantling of heat exchangers; workers have not yet begun to take the reactor itself apart. The entire process is expected to be an 88.5-billion-yen project

involving 563,000 people.

Source

Is this really possible, 563.000 People?
How many they will need for F'Shima?

Well, let's see. Chernobyl needed 500,000 liquidators. It was 1/4 the size of one of these reactors. But let's be optimistic and say we're twice as efficient and have better equipment now (haha). That would make 1 million workers per reactor = 4 million "volunteers". Russia conscripted it's military, Japan does not have a conscript army - it's all volunteer.

Originally posted by qmantoo

It's near impossible for rods to be intact without cooling. Unless we have entered another dimension, the laws of physics apply uniformly. The casings must have either 1) never had fuel, or 2) the fuel has escaped without impacting the rods -- not likely

Thanks for your reply. Then, I have another question.

What happened to all the rods in the first few days after the explosions. There were hundreds all strewn about on roofs and on the ground. They would have no cooling and they should all have melted into little puddles of monstrously high radioactivity by now.
--

I expect most of these that remained intact would have caught fire and became poolium. Some would have just been powdered and aerosolized by the explosions themselves. This would have gone airborne, some of this would have fallen around the site (Pu & U dust). Others will have been blasted into several pieces and strewn around the site in small pieces -- these would have melted also. It would have happened early on. Remember the highly radioactive stuff they had to bulldoze, and the green neutron dampener they sprayed all around for worker safety so they could approach the reactors? That would be the stuff they were trying to control. You also remember the early thermals that had little hotspots all over. Some of this may have been poolium puddles. Finally, some rods caught fire in the pools and melted or partially melted and formed their own party on the SFP floors - where that stuff is Tepco isn't saying. It could still be on the floors, clinging to the racks and cooled, splattered on the walls, burned through the floor into the basements, we don't know.

edit on 28-8-2011 by Wertwog because: cheers!

edit on 28-8-2011 by Wertwog because: cheers!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

*From 8:10 am to 2:25 pm on August 28, we conducted dust sampling at the upper part of reactor building of Unit 3 using a large crane vehicle.

Originally posted by Aircooled

I really thought the crane was keeping the roof/wall from collapsing, and that this was semi- permanent, but a zoom seems to show that it is not attached. I took a look at Fuku1live's back videos and this crane hasn't moved in 5 days. Here is the one, where it showed up and parked. Maybe just in case it starts to collapse? Maybe nothing.
www.youtube.com.../u/137/XNqUpMTVotI

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

edit on 28-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Fukushima Diary....Save Us...Contaminated Food, internal Exposure

fukushima-diary.com...

Daniero? Are you still around? Could you please post the gist of above video?

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Breaking News: Inside Fukushima

A young Japanese journalist,Obara Shinichi sneaked into Fukushima plant,where none of the journalists are allowed to go.

fukushima-diary.com...

Amazed the Japanese Gestapo allowed this one through...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Wonder if fukulive's channel had a malfunction or TEPCO cam stopped?

Only 9 seconds and should compress one hour into 3 minutes...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

This Guy is Great!!!

It looks like he starts out taking pictures of the web cam...and then goes wacko...

On edit: Did TEPCO try and "fuzz out" where the guy is holding the camera?

In slower motion:

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Sakurajima eruption....

Human - are you getting any news in Japan on this latest volcanic activity right near the Sendai Nuclear Power Plant?

radiationnews.blogspot.com...

And nearby earthquakes on the other fault....

earthquake.usgs.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Wacko TEPCO worker...is the stress getting to them?

Still shot grab...the eyes say a lot...

imgupld.lunaticoutpost.com...

On Edit: My apologies for the Lunaticoutpost.com crude response...anyhow someone did a great screen grab on their thread. I hope ATS doesn't behave this way when someone posts a link from our forum. If anything, it would be an honor that they found our information useful enough to link and post on their thread. Note: sure do miss Felix-be on the lunaticoutpost thread...you did one heck of job posting info!!

Wow...he's pissed...

Another screen grab...eyes fierce...

img16.imageshack.us...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Sakurajima eruption....

Human - are you getting any news in Japan on this latest volcanic activity right near the Sendai Nuclear Power Plant?

radiationnews.blogspot.com...

- Purple Chive

Hmmm, sometimes but it is very rare,
please do not forget that Volcanos, Lava, Eq. are very normal here!

Fusinfo is showing both Reactors are running but i doubt that,
4 out of 5 are not running but who knows what is going on here, i don't

Tepco-Man

First i thought: Hmmmm, that is funny, maybe a bet or something
but now i start to remember some scary Japanese Horror Movies

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

"TEPCO-MAN"

Yes Human - at first thought entertaining...but then on closer inspection...this is deviant behavior and could be dangerous. Hope they find out who it is and remove from the premises...don't need anymore tragedy...

And the volcano and earthquakes popping up that area...just hope it simmers down.

Worried about you folks...so much to deal with and don't need anything more on your plate.

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I meant the population of Canada when all the towers for the CBC were built.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Sorry if this information & photos have already been posted. The thread is so long & full of great material it's hard to remember everything.

March 12 06:50 - Order issued to control the internal pressure of containment vessels of units 1 and 2. wind direction from: west-northwest, changing to south radiation level: 2.47 μSv/h at MP-8 15:36 - Sound of explosion in unit 1. wind direction from: south, changing to south-southeast radiation level: 8.23 μSv/h at main gate 3.33 μSv/h at MP-8 Note: Due to wind direction, these monitoring stations did not intersect the initial plume. Data from most relevant monitoring stations is unavailable in the TEPCO data posted on its web site, www.tepco.co.jp... March 14, 2011 DigitalGlobe has released a commercial satellite image showing the Fukushima Daiichi reactor complex taken on March 14, 2011. Damage to the top of the reactor building for Unit 1 as well as damage to the reactor building for Unit 3 following the explosions can be seen (see figure 1). Steam can be seen venting out from the reactor building for Unit 3. UPDATE: ISIS has learned that the satellite image in Figure 1 was taken approximately three minutes after the explosion at the reactor building for Unit 3. According to the Tokyo Electric Power Company, the explosion at the reactor building for Unit 3 occurred at approximately 11:01AM local time. According to DigitalGlobe, the image was taken at 11:04 AM local time. Taken so soon after the explosion, the plume seen extending out across the water is likely smoke or dust from the explosion (see figure 1). Figure 2 is a ground photograph of the site, including the reactor building for Units 1 and 3, from September 2010 for reference. Figure 3 is a ground photograph of the reactor building for Unit 1 after the March 12 explosion. The top portion of the reactor building for Unit 1 is damaged in this image. Figure 4 is a schematic from General Electric showing the reactor building for Unit 1 and the top portion where the blast occurred.

March 16 05:45 - Fire in unit 4, which extinguished itself within 30 minutes. Another fire may have occurred later that day. wind direction from: northwest, changing to west radiation level: 884.0 μSv/h at main gate Workers are briefly evacuated due to the fire. 09:35 - Steam seen venting out of the side of unit 2 building. Workers apparently removed panel from side of building to relieve pressure. Steam also seen rising from damaged unit 3 building. Damage to unit 4 building can be seen as well wind direction from: west, changing to north-northwest radiation level: 641.8 μSv/h at main gate 18:00 - Steam or smoke seen venting out of south-east corner of damaged unit 4 building. This spent fuel pool is located in this corner of the building in this reactor building design. Steam or smoke seen rising from damaged unit 3 building wind direction from: west radiation level: 1,591.1 μSv/h at main gate* *Reading at 15:00. No readings later that evening.

March 17 10:55 - Steam can be seen venting from the top of unit 3 building. Steam can be seen venting out of the side unit 2 building. wind direction from: southwest changing to northwest radiation level: 3,753 μSv/h at north of main building 647.3 μSv/h at main gate

March 18

SOURCE isis-online.org...

Ektar

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

"Pointing finger toward someone is a very aggressive sign in Japan"

Breaking News: A man in the Fukushima camera

fukushima-diary.com...

Human - Japanese culture, etiquette? What's your take on this guy's behavior?

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

For Purple.

top topics

<< 1037  1038  1039    1041  1042  1043 >>

join