It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1034.htm
<< 1031  1032  1033    1035  1036  1037 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

basically a ground roll,, 5.9 ,, from washinton d.c
to
Toronto.
sudbury
n.c
new york

you get the picture.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Thanks, it will come in handy.

Radiation from Japan reactor detected in B.C. seaweed, rainwater; no risk to humans

“As of now, the levels we’re seeing are not harmful to humans. We’re basing this on Japanese studies following the Chernobyl incident in 1986 where levels of iodine-131 were four times higher than what we’ve detected in our rainwater so far,” Starosta said. “Studies of nuclear incidents and exposures are used to define radiation levels at which the increase in cancer risk is statistically significant. When compared to the information we have today, we have not reached levels of elevated risk.

Starosta predicts iodine-131 will be detected in B.C. up to three or four weeks after the Fukushima nuclear reactor stops releasing radioactivity into the atmosphere. The researchers will continue to monitor iodine-131 levels.

Source
Red flag, following Japanese research!!!
Got news, it is going to be a very long wait on those 3 to 4 weeks.
They keep thinking it is like Chernobyl, but Chernobyl was not on our fricken pacific ocean.
On edit, you should read the comments, people are not buying the radiation is safe shi^.
I sent them a copy of our link to ATS
rbrtj

edit on 23-8-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
www.youtube.com.../u/5/qxqxeDFdGnQ
One hour of fuk compressed to 3 minutes, from 5 hours ago.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Nice jolt at the beginning.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor

Those types of corrugated HDPE pipes are usually not used for pressurized gases, I've seen them used as drains and fiber conduit, but that's about it. Not sure what they are rated to hold, pressure wise.

Absolutely right Matador. I think that they use the big black pipes as the runner and attach the smaller nitro lines to them, or run them through, from the pictures Ive seen. Its more just a security and color coding thing so they know which is which. So I just assume now that a thick black pipe has a nitro line somewhere nearby, and I think it's a fairly safe assumption, but that may not be what these are going to be used for. Good eye.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj

I sent them a copy of our link to ATS

Good idea. Im going to do the same from now on at those kind of threads.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Nuclear power plants under surveillance after earthquake hits

After a 5.9-magnitude hit Mineral, Va. Tuesday afternoon, rocking the East Coast, concerns quickly turned to the safety of nuclear power plants. With the Fukushima power plant disaster in Japan fresh in people’s minds, nuclear power companies were quick to report on the conditions of their facilities.

S ource
Pretty freaky indeed

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by zworld

"most likely relic hydrates, but there wouldn't be MH"
but thats the same as saying,,,,"its not regular gas, its unleaded".
who wrote it, ?
tepco?

Actually its a degree of pressure kind of thing. The gas is the same, it's just either locked in a frozen state or released and 164 times the size it was. A layer of frozen methane is going to react different to EQs than a pocket that has been released and under pressure. But since currently the oil and gas boys are calling the shots as far as taxpayer money is spent for methane hydrate research, figuring out that difference, since it doesn't further their need to extract, wont be analyzed.

ON EDIT: Damn, was going to add a bunch of stuff but my rides here. More tomorrow.

edit on 23-8-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
www3.nhk.or.jp...

Quick one. this is weird. they are now saying that the main release (that 40% thing) was really from the R4 and R2 explosions, not just associated with R2. OK, but the R4 explosions didn't include a SFP or reactor core, and the R2 explosion was underground. And this is thougght to have produced 40% of all radionuclides released in the first 3 weeks. If that doesn't scream UC I don't knwo what does.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
enenews.com...
Lost off-site power??? NRC "As far as we know, everything is Ok"????

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
enenews.com...
Well I guess we can all relax. [Not] It was built to withstand a 6.1.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

reply to post by Wertwog
There are now more than 2,600 genetic diseases on record, any one of which may be caused by a radiation-induced mutation, and many of which we’re bound to see more of, because we are artificially increasing background levels of radiation.

Another important aspect to this whole nightmare of toxic exposure. It's not just this one thing, or that one thing, it's many illnesses we know of, and many we don't. Endocrine disruption showed us how little we know about illness and exposure to toxic substances. Radiation could be, on top of all we know, having wide ranging effects to the health and well being of humans that we aren't even aware of yet. And may never be aware of them cause industry and the rich have locked up the medical research field with money for cures (usually synthetic petrochemical pharmaceuticals they make more money from), and not research for prevention.

Yes, because prevention isn't in their interest. They haven't found a way to effectively monetize prevention. They want to profit from us being sick, that is why all the money goes into R&D for treatments and pharma. Scientists in the prevention channels get pittance. Those that can't be cured are "acceptable losses", the numbers of which have been pre-calculated via their risk models. They are simply treating us like any other market..... create the problem/demand gen (generate a demand), solve the problem, profit = daddy buys a Porsche.

The really horrific thing about this is if they can keep us sick for longer the more money they make. Beautiful huh? Of course it's completely psychopathic.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Wertwog because: added something

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Thanks!
I signed & will pass along.
Cheers
Ektar

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld
I have to take off for the day and wont have time to post the MH data, but I can say this. MH is ice under 164 times compression. It needs two distinct parameters to exist. These are temperature and pressure known as the stability zone. On either side of these parameters the MH comes out of it's frozen state and expands 164 times.

Much of the MH that was formed thousands and millions of years ago has now been buried deep enough so that the earth's inner warmth has heated the area to above the t/p stability zone, and these pockets are now just methane (or other nat gas, but mostly methane) under intense overpressures. These pockets are what cause many of the gas kicks when encountered in the drilling process.

Any MH that is now under land and not a part of permafrost has already been heated by the earth's inner temps and is in it's gaseous state. I call these pockets 'relic hydrates', but industry refuses to recognize their existence, and instead pretends that MH only exists where it could be formed today, and not a million years ago during an ice age when everything was much colder and the stablitiy zone was much wider.

So under Fuku there are most likely relic hydrates, but there wouldn't be MH.

So, his theory is the 1km deep "methane clutter" exploded upwards through the neutron-created tubes/fissures in the sandstone. What set this off? If it was just the tubes/fissues this could have happened at any point a fissure reached the methane 'relic hydrate' allowing it to vent upwards and possibly ignite. His theory doesn't adequately explain the trigger, in my view. The earthquake could have caused the already neutron-weakened sandstone to send a fissure into the gas layer, but he didn't say that. He said that afterheat venting caused a hydrogen explosion in #1, the impact of that explosion traveled down into the methane clutter, causing it to expand under #4 and explode upwards through the fissures and out of #4.

So. Timeline. How fast would this happen after #1 blew if his theory is right? In his timeline #4 would have happened BEFORE #3 exploded. He said #1 set off methane under #4..... Japan says radiation levels rising around plant after explosion (at #4) TOKYO, Japan, March 15 | Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:29pm EDT.

However, this doesn't match is theory. #4 apparently is thought to have exploded before dawn on March 15, 2011 ATS thread discussion 4 DAYS AFTER #1 EXPLODED (MARCH 11 EDT) AND 1 DAY AFTER #3 EXPLODED ON MARCH 14 (EDT).

If #1 triggered #4 why would it wait 4 days (with #3 exploding in between), plus #4 didn't explode before #3 so that part of his theory is flat-out wrong.

What caused #3 to explode and why didn't it set off #4? We know that #1 couldn't have set off #4 as he states since #3 happened before #4. So if there was a huge methane gas bubble under #4 growing, why was it a full day later that #4 blew?

Fukushima
The fourth of the Fukushima Daiichi reactors to be built. At the time of the earthquake unit 4 was shut down for extensive maintenance. The rod assemblies were removed from the core and stored in the spent fuel pool. Some of the extensive work to be done was the replacement of the reactor vessel shroud. Unit 4 lost AC power along with the other units at the plant. At 4:08am JST on March 14th, the spent fuel pool at unit 4 was 84 degrees celsius. At 6:20am JST on March 15th a part of a wall in the operation area of Unit 4 of Fukushima Daiichi was damaged. TEPCO provided no further details on this damage. At 9:38am JST on March 15th a fire broke out in the reactor building of unit 4, the fire was reported extinguished by 12:29pm JST. TEPCO has changed their story on unit 4 multiple times but eventually admitted to a very obvious explosion occurring at unit 4. No video of unit 4 exploding exists to date and it is assumed the explosion took place before dawn. One of TEPCO’s later admissions regarding unit 4 is that they think hydrogen leaked into unit 4 from unit 3 via the venting pipes and a faulty valve. No reason was given as to why unit 4 did not then ignite when unit 3 exploded.

The blast at unit 4 did extensive damage to the structural integrity of the building. TEPCO has admitted the blast ignited within both the lower floors and upper floors of the building. A concrete entrance garage can be seen to have the wall panels blown out. An inner staircase was identified as destroyed by TEPCO. There is extensive obvious structural damage. The spent fuel pool has been identified as leaking and unstable. Work cranes have been seen working around the building. The IAEA reported that on May 9th work began to structurally support the floor of the spent fuel pool at unit 4.

Methane gas under such high pressure exploding would produce a spectacular explosion. I would have thought it would have been impossible for Tepco to cover something like that up completely... I mean really, not one rogue camera when all the media of the world was trained on the site after #1 blew?

Is the damage to #4 consistent to this kind of explosion? The reactor lid is still in place. Most of the lower floors damaged but intact. The vessel was open, if his theory is right, the energy going directly upwards, would we see much lateral damage? I don't know, need the experts to weigh in on that one.

Could the methane gas have been under #3, not #4 as he speculates?

Another interesting fact:
arge Ground Fissure Found Near Unit 1 Fukushima Daiichi

What is going on with that? A fissure under #1 reactor... hummm... could this have caused #1 to blow? Plus, I think we know where the corium is huh? Deep in that fissure I bet a dollar to donuts.

Finally. He says #2 blew. There has never been an explosion that we know of at #2.

This guy is flat wrong about the timeline of #3 and #4, and in my view doesn't adequately explain the trigger for #4 blowing as he supposes. He also doesn't explain #3 explosion and claims that #2 exploded when it did not. Hmmmmmmm, not looking good

edit on 23-8-2011 by Wertwog because: fixed something

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
Objects being ejected from our firey area at night Aug 21. Some u-tube videos will embed here, some won't. I have no idea why? This one even has an = sign yet didn't work. Anyway you can get there from here.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Ohayo Gozaimasu

Eye-opening blog of Fukushima robot operator taken offline

The days of seeing Japan in the news because of the earthquake and subsequent disaster are long over as attention has turned to more recent problems around the globe, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t big challenges remaining in the country. There’s still the case of the Fukushima nuclear power plant and four unstable reactors to deal with. Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), which owns the Fukushima plant, is attempting to get things back to normal by using military robots provided by U.S. company iRobot.

Due to the lack of communications in the area of the plant, these robots are being operated by individuals who are put in danger every day close by the reactors as they go about their clean-up tasks. One of those operators decided to write a blog talking about his work, and it has proved very telling and informative about both the conditions at the plant and the robots themselves. Working conditions are less than perfect. Long hours, ignored warnings, and the link to the robots during crucial clean-up work being put in jeopardy due to stupid decisions are all touched upon. We also get to learn about the limitations and advantages of each robot in this rather unique situation.

However, it now seems as though the blog has disappeared just as it started getting popular, suggesting someone at TEPCO found it and took action.

Source

Fukushima fallout said 30 times Hiroshima's

Video footage of Tatsuhiko Kodama's impassioned speech before a Diet committee in July went viral online recently, showing the medical expert's shocking revelation that the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant spewed some 30 times more radioactive materials than the fallout from the Hiroshima atomic bombing.

Kodama, a professor of systems biology and medicine at the University of Tokyo, used clear-cut terms to get his message across. His ruthless criticism of the government's slow response has been viewed at least 1 million times.

"It means a significantly large amount of radioactive material was released compared with the atomic bomb," he told the Diet committee.

"What has the Diet been doing as 70,000 people are forced to evacuate and wander outside of their homes?"

Despite a hard-nosed image, the expert on radiology and cancer briefly showed a softer side while speaking to The Japan Times about his two grandchildren and their summer in the Tokyo heat.

"A lot of people ask me this, but Tokyo is safe from radiation now," Kodama, who heads the university's Radioisotope Center and the Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology, said Aug. 12.

"My two grandchildren swim outside in the pool, and there is no concern with the safety of food at this point."

But his expression became grave when discussing the 20-km no-go zone in Fukushima, explaining that decontamination of such areas will take not years but decades.

There are places he wouldn't let his grandchildren spend time outdoors freely, even in areas outside of the restricted zone.

Read more

Crisis probe has quizzed 126 people

Some 126 people have appeared before the independent panel investigating the causes of the Fukushima nuclear crisis, testifying for a total of almost 300 hours, but it will take more time and effort to identify the root reasons for the accident, panel leader Yotaro Hatamura said Tuesday. While Hatamura avoided giving much in the way of details about the hearings, such as specific questions asked and where the sessions have been held, he did say panel teams divided by topic have been holding hearings from various viewpoints, including tsunami measures at the Fukushima No. 1 plant, the evacuation procedures in the area surrounding the facility and how Tokyo Electric Power Co. handled the accident.

Hatamura said the committee, which was set up by the government in May, has held four sessions for a total of 19 hours with Masao Yoshida, director of the Fukushima No. 1 plant.

"I myself attended the director's sessions twice. I though he was answering all of our questions honestly," Hatamura, a professor emeritus at the University of Tokyo, told a news conference at the Cabinet Office.

The panel asked Yoshida to explain what happened to reactors 1 through 4 after the quake and his views on fuel rod damage as well as the cooling systems, ventilation and hydrogen explosions.

Hatamura acknowledged that there have been some findings that the media have not reported but said it is too early to determine precisely what went wrong.

More to read

MIT report: Technical lessons learned from the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear accident

Source: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) The Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Nuclear Science and Engineering faculty has created a report identifying and discussing technical issues arising from the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex in Japan. The report presents the reflections of members of the NSE faculty on the accident at Fukushima, and is offered as a contribution to the debate on the implications of the accident for the nuclear industry. The NSE purpose is twofold: to identify and discuss technical issues arising from the accident; and to begin a review of how the lessons learned can be used to improve the safety of current and future plants.

The information in the report is organized in six sections:
• Emergency Power following Beyond-Design-Basis External Events
• Emergency Response to Beyond-Design-Basis External Events
• Hydrogen Management
• Containment
• Spent Fuel Pools
• Plant Siting and Site Layout F

For each area, the NSE presents key issues observed at Fukushima and corrective actions that should be evaluated for implementation in current and future plants.
Please read this Report here

Yesterday, while watching the Evening News (NHK)
i heard that the Sandpits on the Playgrounds here in Tokyo are highly contaminated
with Radioactive Nuclides
and that the Sand will be changed as soon as possible (in Japanese Terms until the next years)

Sadly i can't find Sources this Morning but will continue to look and search.
This Sandpits are normally covered by a Foil to prevent Animals
doing their Poo Business inside!
edit on 23-8-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

I'm looking forward to reading this report in detail, however, first off it's dated May 2011! I would have thought August was way to early to 'review the technical lessons learned' given the accident is still ongoing, but May! Why are they just releasing it now? Why the delay? If it was written in May, a brief 3 months after the accident, why author a report like this when new revelations about lies and coverups are being admitted to and leaked every day? Then wait to release it? Shame on MIT! I will read it but seems like typical industry white-wash.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

In something sooooooo big like Fukushima we need to use all kind of Information,
this incl. the Nuclear Complex,
only when we can get and do a 100% Brainstorming we will be able to see through all of this!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

MIT report: Technical lessons learned from the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear accident

Let's be real here. Yes this report is very important. No, the industry or the politicians won't listen.

Too much corruption everywhere.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

I'm looking forward to reading this report in detail, however, first off it's dated May 2011! I would have thought August was way to early to 'review the technical lessons learned' given the accident is still ongoing, but May! Why are they just releasing it now? Why the delay? If it was written in May, a brief 3 months after the accident, why author a report like this when new revelations about lies and coverups are being admitted to and leaked every day? Then wait to release it? Shame on MIT! I will read it but seems like typical industry white-wash.

Sorry to quote myself, but just finished reading it and needed to go wash my eyeballs off. Ok so the gist of the report is basically "we made some booboos but most of them are already addressed in US plant designs so if we install some passive venting and move the generators around that should be good". The containment's weren't breached (I wonder how they would deal with that now with the new information we have) so no major redesigns are required. We should perhaps think about ceramic rod casings instead of zircalloy. Maybe have some teams ready to fly in if significant onsite staff gets killed. The major problem was the stupid public not understanding radiation doses and getting too emotional (typical industry blah blah - people don't understand radiation and so tend to panic - we need to make this simpler for them to understand), so we need to be logical (ie: non-emotional) and keep right on course with our risk models and building plants because nuke is so much safer than anything else.

The dosage estimates are far below what we are seeing now, I think the MIT made a mistake releasing this report since they are going to look like fools very soon.

The document acknowledges the accident is not over and doesn't suggest these ideas as recommendations yet, however, this report will be cited far and wide by the industry, unfortunately. They will hang this report around their necks like a phat 'ol bling bling, take that biatches! Nuke ain't so bad biatch! Shut up and take your medicine.

Very disappointing but not surprising. Academics fall into line and follow the money just like everyone else - they value their jobs.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Wertwog because: correction

top topics

<< 1031  1032  1033    1035  1036  1037 >>

join