It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1028.htm
<< 1025  1026  1027    1029  1030  1031 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Fuku workers...some inside info...

enenews.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The hope of...flowers...to cleanse the radiation

In an effort to lift the spirits of area residents as well as lighten the impact of the radiation, Abe began growing and distributing sunflowers and other plants.

"We plant sunflowers, field mustard, amaranthus and cockscomb, which are all believed to absorb radiation," said the monk.

But Abe decided not to wait for the results of the tests, believing that by taking action his team could help battered local towns shake off a sense of stagnation and give them hope.

A dosimeter placed next to her registered radiation levels of more than 5 microsieverts per hour, far exceeding government safety levels. Her house is located near a radioactive hot spot.

af.reuters.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

"The Japanese government cannot simply increase safety limits for the sake of political convenience or to give the impression of normality."

From her perspective, the only thing the government has done is to, on April 25, raise the acceptable radiation exposure limit for children from 1 mSv/year to 20 mSv/year.

english.aljazeera.net...

Attitudes and politics...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

What?..."Nonproliferation Rules"

Brain goes numb...

Is the IAEA finally admitting something here?

The accident is believed to have left a mess of highly radioactive material in the No.1 to No. 3 reactors, with fuel rods and rod cases melting and reforming into disparate particles and lumps.

And then this nonsense...

But IAEA rules insist that Japan will have to specify exactly how much radioactive substances have been left if the substances are removed from the reactors. That has never been done and will require new testing techniques.

The government will spend about 600 million yen ($7.84 million) developing tests to comply with the International Atomic Energy Agency rules that require Japan to identify levels of plutonium, uranium and other nuclear substances in the damaged fuel rods at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

And what?

After the 1979 Three Mile Island nuclear accident, the United States was not forced to submit a report to the agency under the nonproliferation rules because it was acknowledged as a nuclear power. In the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, the reactors were brought under control without removing fuel rods

ajw.asahi.com...

Sigh...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Totally normal uh?

China Finds 100,000 SQ Miles of Radiation In Pacific Ocean 300 Times Higher Than Normal

China has discovered 100,000 square miles of Pacific Ocean waters, at distances up to 800 kilometers from Fukushima, with Cesium radiation levels up to 300 times normal and Strontium radiation levels up to 100 times normal.

China says a study conducted by its State Oceanic Administration has found widespread levels of highly radioactive contamination throughout Pacific Ocean.

China’s State Oceanic Administration said the tests show that the polluted area is far wider than the areas released by the Japanese government.

According to the study, the radiation survey found that over 252,000 kilometers, or just shy of 100,000 square mile,s of Pacific ocean waters was contaminated by the time the study was completed on July 4th.

The study found that the radiation has spread to distances up to 800 kilometers from the coast of the Fukushima prefecture.

According to the article, cesium radiation was found at levels up to 300 times higher than concentration levels detected in water off the coast of China.

The study also found Strontium-90 radiation levels up to 100 times higher than those found in Chinese waters.

It's not just intelhub... they have sources from China, Japan and India supporting their article.

And this ain't much of a surprise really.

Source
Good work Vitchilo hope you don't mind me sharing it here.
rbrtj

edit on 19-8-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have a question... are nuclear elements heavier than water? and if so what are the chances of them landing in and staying the Japan trench? Could this be their plan "C" ??

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Wow...the guy doesn't miss a beat...and there is some credence...

- Purple Chive

edit on 19-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Been busy and only just caught up. Rushed it a bit so I can hit the hay but it's all I have time for. 6am fail!

Originally posted by zworld
Irrespective, in the post below, the author highlights the fact that the R3 blast did not produce a shockwave. With this I agree in part, and disagree in part. There is a shockwave, but it occurs under ground in the pre blast pulse. And that shockwave ignites hydrogen throughout the Fukushima plant which in turn causes enough pressure underground bouncing off the walls to make the plutonium in the UC go nuclear, and we have the big boom. Thats what the data currently indicates, but that could very easily change with new data.

www.physicsforums.com...

R3 blast produced a compression shockwave which causes a lensing effect, visible in oztvwatchers video, immediately before the main mushroom cloud exited. This is the very shockwave I want to measure. I have an faint recollection that SFA did however..?

The tsunami washing into the complex by a large elevated wall is from daini and was taken by workmen, not a magna bsp camera as they are an arms length away from a ground based walkway in some shots. Smoke at daini was an o2 cylinder fire IIRC. Dai-ichi shots are shown in latest 7 part video series and are on a white catwalk, again another inconvenient place to put a bulky stereoscopic camera.

reply to post by Aircooled

Flash explosions from sendai were traced down a rail line to a HV switching station which matched the location earlier on in the thread. (Done in gmaps). I also posted videos of the same effect occuring as a storm popped transformers, I've seen many transformer accident videos and they all look the same. Cool white-blue UV producing high intensity arc. The size of the flash is due to camera overexposure. I offered previously to post a video demonstrating this effect but you can often see it in many flir/night vision war videos anyway.

Good high velocity shockwave showing R3 vid is gone, oztvwatcher had original high res copy which I favourited. Still waiting to hear back from him.

www.youtube.com...

Snippets from prior linked video series, #2 in particular.
Man (GE designer of 24 years) states that they used a smaller primary containment to keep costs down and make it competitive with PWR designs. Also stated they were concerned about steam displacement of water causing damage to the ring/vent header in the torus during pressure venting. The videos also give you a true appreciation of the size of these reactors. I knew they were big but holy crap, they're large ship sized structures. The torus alone you could play a good badminton match in just a small section!

Lots of good pre explosion aerial shots for anyone wanting to see buildings in original condition at higher res than most shots we have.
Another designer states the same thing - PCV too small for hydrogen remvoal (burning it etc). Compared to a dry PCV in a PWR design it is vastly smaller. And that NRC didn't want to change anything, pressured researchers to see things differently and come up with different answers than 'complete failure'. Vent hardening was a token obviously. Same crap as flouride and a host of other chemicals, processes and industries.

Excellent 3d animation of piping into PCV, especially vent piping that goes to stacks. Shows how fragile all those lines would be! ZW you may want to check this out in regards to the 10sv readings by #2. One of the head designer honchos states it will vent radioactivity and pressure directly out in an accident, if #2 has had 100% meltdown, the 10sv level is probably just a starter...

#5 lots of blueprint shots, originals too and plenty of japanese text. Dainero you may want to check this one out and see what's up. Also #4 beginning where an explosive test takes place, I would like to know what that is about. I assume fuel rod/hydrogen related. They also ask a japanese guy some hard questions, he doesn't look too happy about blueprints coming out. Dainero territory again if you feel so inclined.

#6 and #7 I will do tomorrow. Most footage so far is stuff we have seen before, thawk etc etc but some excellent pre-disaster helicopter shots to be seen. Also interesting seeing thawk shot of #1 roof, appears it has mostly collapsed onto equipment below. The pool is completely covered so if the cooling pipes are not operational, the putzmiester ain't pumping water in there, so it's probably all turned into poolium and mostly cooked off.

I think I've located the best proof of an underground complex yet. A similar picture may have been posted in the early days but my memory of that is a bit fuzzy for this issue. You can see the fukushima complex is built on a massive raised concrete plinth, you can also see water flow tunnels leading directly to Reactor building 1. Also can see the next reactor/building group carved out to the south for foundation laying. This ties in with pool under units 1-4 as well as UC. Note the huge amount of foundations for a single reactor being built? It's pretty much undebunkable - look at the sheer size plsu all the various pits and deep excavations far back from the main face. That face is huge as well, it's not even the part underwater! An engineering friend once told me 'to support a large concrete structure (e.g. water tank, reactor etc) what you see is roughly 2/3rds larger underground for support structure'. A large part of the cost is moving earth when using even just a traditional wooden house design.

Another snippet from a worker regarding falling into holes that could be 20m deep from an earlier posted video..
www.youtube.com...

Thanks all for information, posts and effort, makes me proud of ats to log back into this thread and see it jumping pages each time. Record setting thread for an unprescendented disaster. Perhaps one day I can make a documentary on it, always wanted to make one on something of interest and I can't really see anything more pressing so far. Nuke industry, you're going down. Your plants can fail without even having a power failure and you have no technology that can contain corium completely.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I just posted a thread on what I know about radio-protective foods. It is in the ATS/BTS Food and Cooking section. Here is that link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Earlier on this "Japan Nuclear Emergency" thread, someone recommended drinking green tea. That's one of the topics I discuss in the above thread...my own opinion on green tea is that it depends on what green tea, grown where, and especially grown when.

When it comes to human nutrition, there are certain foods that do have proven radio-protective value, and I also talk about safe sources for buying those foods. I do not work in the food industry, I just learned a lot about the healing qualities of certain natural foods over the last 10 years.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

"best proof of an underground complex yet."

you know if that underground complex had bee filled with concrete, immedietly,,
we would not be where it is today,
under the torus,, if under the torus
chamber pot

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Hokkaido...maybe an indication from God?

So you restart your nuclear power plant...

www.yomiuri.co.jp...

And a 5.1 quake hits nearby...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Brilliant!

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I couldn't help but notice, the last couple of days on the cam the clouds have been blowing inland and a bit south. Tokyo Aug 19.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

A video on the folks who have stayed.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Did quake or tsunami cause Fukushima meltdown?

Japan's nuclear safety agency today rejected a claim in British newspaper The Independent that the earthquake itself, not the subsequent tsunami, destroyed cooling systems leading to meltdowns at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.
"It is not correct," a spokesman for Japan's nuclear safety watchdog, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA), told New Scientist.

Source

I for sure know now the tweets were dead on after this load of Bullship!!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
What do you think?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I know the plant was leaking before and the earthquake blew it sky high, then the tsunami killed the back up power that was probably not even plugged in and it will happen again and again until we are all dead.

Agency approves construction of nuclear plant in Alabama

By Tricia Escobedo, CNN
August 19, 2011 6:07 p.m. EDT
Source

(CNN) -- The Tennessee Valley Authority has approved construction on a nuclear plant in northeastern Alabama -- the first U.S. agency to do so since the Japan nuclear disaster this year. The TVA board of directors -- which approved the $4.9 billion project Thursday night -- said the Bellefonte project could create 2,800 construction jobs in north Alabama as well as 650 permanent jobs once the plant is complete. It estimates the plant will be online in 2020 and will provide enough megawatts to power about 750,000 homes in the region. The TVA still needs approval from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission before it can start construction at Bellefonte, a commission spokesman said.

Note how late it is published and on a Friday night when everyone is gone, except some of us.
Our only hope is too...

The TVA still needs approval from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission before it can start construction at Bellefonte, a commission spokesman said.

Stop the NRC !!!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
A couple of stills 1 Aug 17th the crane you see on the cam building the tent. #2 Area North of 1 July 5th.

Now I recognize the tower on the left.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Strong 6.8 earthquake hits Fukushima Japan, tsunami warning up

3 HOURS AGO by ■ Leo Reyes
Source

A strong 6.8 earthquake struck Friday at the northeastern coast of Japan near the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant which was severely damaged by the March 11 super earthquake and tsunami that caused the death of close to 20,000 people near Fukushima A tsunami warning was issued in the Fukushima and Miyagi Perfectures but was lifted 35 minutes later. The quake reportedly occurred at 2:36 pm (0536GMT) with its epicenter off Fukushima prefecture at a depth of 20 kilometers. Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...

rbrtj

edit on 20-8-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
One last story of some good news I finally found before bed.

Fukushima contaminating China's seas?

Published: Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM

On Monday, the Japanese Cabinet agreed to merge the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency and the Nuclear Safety Commission into a single Nuclear Safety Agency, putting the environment ministry in charge of regulating the nuclear sector. Previously, NISA operated under the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. The move is seen as a significant victory for Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan who has been fighting to remove nuclear regulation from the influence of METI, which has a long history of promoting nuclear energy. The new entity, expected to be fully operational by next April, will be responsible for handling other nuclear-related activities, including emergency response, radiation monitoring and dealing with the threat of nuclear terrorist attacks, China's state-run news agency Xinhua reports.

Nighty night all, rbrtj

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by daniero

Awesome D, that's 60 meters.

A rough estimate based on the elapsed time in the video :12 and best guess at ground level is that we can see roughly 30 meters height of the building in the video.

Measuring the height of the explosion we have roughly 20 building 30 meter heights (the very top of the cloud cuts off), plus the area below, so 630 meters. The cloud takes :12 seconds to travel the 630m, 52.5m/sec.

Therefore:
velocity (v) = 630 meter/second
velocity (v) = 226800000.00635 centimeter/hour
velocity (v) = 63000 centimeter/second
velocity (v) = 178582677.16524 foot/day
velocity (v) = 2066.9291338583 foot/second
velocity (v) = 89291338.582621 inch/hour
velocity (v) = 24803.149606299 inch/second
velocity (v) = 0.63 kilometer/second
velocity (v) = 1224.6220312956 knot
velocity (v) = 1.8513076697032 mach sea level 15 C
velocity (v) = 54431999.999878 meter/day
velocity (v) = 1409.2698639943 mile/hour
velocity (v) = 0.39146385110952 mile/second
velocity (v) = 630000 millimeter/second
velocity (v) = 2.1014537997484E-6 speed of light in vacuum
velocity (v) = 688.97637795276 yard/second

Keeping in mind these are all estimates. It's impossible to know the real height of the explosion based on the video evidence.

From Wiki
Low explosives

Low explosives are compounds where the rate of decomposition proceeds through the material at less than the speed of sound. The decomposition is propagated by a flame front (deflagration) which travels much more slowly through the explosive material than a shock wave of a high explosive. Under normal conditions, low explosives undergo deflagration at rates that vary from a few centimeters per second to approximately 400 metres per second. It is possible for them to deflagrate very quickly, producing an effect similar to a detonation. This can happen under higher pressure or temperature, which usually occurs when ignited in a confined space.

A low explosive is usually a mixture of a combustible substance and an oxidant that decomposes rapidly (deflagration); however, they burn more slowly than a high explosive which has an extremely fast burn rate.

Low explosives are normally employed as propellants. Included in this group are gun powders and light pyrotechnics, such as flares and fireworks.

High explosives

High explosives are explosive materials that detonate, meaning that the explosive shock front passes through the material at a supersonic speed. High explosives detonate with explosive velocity rates ranging from 3,000 to 9,000 meters per second. They are normally employed in mining, demolition, and military applications. They can be divided into two explosives classes differentiated by sensitivity: Primary explosive and secondary explosive. The term high explosive is in contrast to the term low explosive, which explodes (deflagrates) at a slower rate.

It would seem that the 'mushroom cloud' was a low explosive that appeared to detonate but actually deflagrated. However, due to the low velocity, it could not have been a hydrogen explosion as Tepco claims, as the velocity was too low (hydrogen velocities tend toward 1200 - 3400) Hydrogen explosive velocities. The wiki supports the idea that these low explosive deflagrations can be triggered by a high explosive blast wave.

As for the hydrogen explosion,
Hydrogen explosions in confined spaces and

Gas explosions, blast waves
The effect of localised explosions may in some situations not only cause high pressures locally but also cause high velocity flames to propagate into less confined but obstructed regions, where the high velocity of the flame may be sustained. Some recently published data by Harris and Wickens (1989) show examples of such an effect which was observed when flame propagation in repeated obstacle arrays was studied. They showed that if a flame entered the unconfined obstacle array at a high velocity, the flame was able to stabilise at a high velocity and high explosion pressure. However, if the flame had a low velocity in the beginning of the array, it was not able to accelerate to high velocities and the corresponding explosion pressure was low.

Meaning the velocity of the hydrogen blast wave would depend on how many obstacles were in the way whether or not it had the explosive pressure to act upon zircolly rods and initiate a criticality.

I have to do some more checking on the typical velocities of nuke explosions to see if they correspond to my numbers.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Wertwog because: correction

Okies, been doing some research online, and this is by no means exhaustive, but have come up with some numbers to see if they correspond to what we would typically see in a low-yield nuke explosion. Sorry for the long post!

I found before that the velocity was too low to be hydrogen. I did discover that when considering nuke explosions it appears that they don't use velocity, but rather the "rate of rise" of the cloud. A 1 megaton yield weapon typically rises from surface to 5,700 feet in 10 seconds, the rate of rise is in the 250-440ft/s range (keeping in mind they are usually "air-burst" several hundred feet off the ground hence the discrepancy), or more commonly, about 250-350mph.

Scratching out some quick numbers, our #3 explosion doesn't match. 52.5m/s works out to 2066.929ft @ :12sec= 172.244 ft/s or 117.439 mph. Maximum altitude for cloud rise is reached after ~ 4min after which the rate of rise slows dramatically, our video ends at :15 and the top is slightly cut off, but by that point the cloud appears to have stopped (mostly). Unless I got the height wrong (we do have to guess based on the video), it appears to be too slow. Most nuke explosions (bombs anyhow) seem to have a rate of rise within this range regardless of yield. Cloud height and cloud radius depend on the magnitude of the explosion, increase of both radius and height scales with explosion yield. Atmospheric conditions also impact the height and cloud radius. Air or surface bursts rise at about about the same rate.

We also don't see a fireball, typical of most nuke explosions that rises like a balloon to the top 'corona' and becomes the cap on the shroom.

Some other characteristics do match.

Nukes produce a spherical shock wave (as do other explosions), and we know this one did based on the video evidence many of us remember seeing.

They also produce a static overpressure and dynamic pressure, and I believe that some of the effects that Z noted might be from the hydrogen blast or they could be from the blast wind effects - some of which can get up to 1000mph and can powder concrete and have other highly destructive effects that tend to do most of the damage in nuclear explosions.

If there were blast winds like this I don't see them in the video (there were pyroclastic clouds near the base), but these could have occurred below ground level and into the basement and UC? These winds also produce a very strong and damaging simultaneous 'drag' effect as they pull via overpressure to gather the pressure for the blast wind.

The cloud also shows that it is sucking up debris and dirt into the cloud and this is typical of a low altitude burst, or surface burst.

Could it be possible that because we really didn't have a highly enriched source that the 'rate of rise' was about half and explains the lack of fireball? It also rose to about half the height of a 1 megaton explosion and in effect was a 'dirty bomb' rather than a conventional nuke.

On the other hand...

Mushroom clouds can form over conventional explosions, volcanoes and such under the right conditions.

It's highly circumstantial to have a mushroom cloud form over a nuke reactor, it's simply hard to believe it was anything else. Upshot is I don't yet have conclusive evidence to say it was definitely a nuke, but I can say it was definitely NOT hydrogen. Sorry folks.

Wiki - Efffects of Nuclear Explosions
Nuclear bomb instructions - computer
Nuclear weapons blast effects
Effects of Nuclear Explosions
The bomb test programs 1946 - 1963
Wiki - Mushroom Cloud
DESCRIPTIONS OF NUCLEAR EXPLOSIONS
Nuclear explosions (there is an ad that pops up on this one, sorry)
Fallout and Tools for Calculating Effects of Release of Hazardous Materials

edit on 20-8-2011 by Wertwog because: fixed something

new topics

top topics

<< 1025  1026  1027    1029  1030  1031 >>

join