It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1022.htm
<< 1019  1020  1021    1023  1024  1025 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The government and TEPCO said on Wednesday that maximum radiation levels around the plant during the past 2 weeks were 200 million becquerels per hour

This is one-fifth the levels detected in July, and one-10 millionth the levels in mid-March, shortly after the troubles began at the plant.

WTF? On Edit: Math whizzes can you put this in some perspective please? How many zeros? Are we at yotta yet?

www3.nhk.or.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 17-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Ya gotta love Tepco. They dont have time to translate important documents, but subtitles for their propaganda show are considered important. Thanks Tepco, youre a gem.

And step 1 was what, landing in dog doodoo. So step 2 must be cleaning it off. OK I get it. Makes sense now.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As reported on Enenews

Researchers say radioactivity levels detected by air monitoring stations were higher than computer models had predicted.

We all asumed this to be true, but to put this into perspective, below is one of the computer models during March, 10 days after the accident began. Its off the hook, yet we now know its probably an underestimate.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Im not sure what has changed, but all of a sudden friends and associates are once again interested in Fukushima. Go figure. And this came out of a recent discussion. An associate from work said that the reason that the business community is praying Fukushima goes away ASAP isnt because of the danger to Japan itself, but to the worlds export market. He says that Germany, China, America and Britain are scared to death that more shipments of Japanese goods, ie cars, computers etc, will be found to be radioactive, forcing these nations to return goods. If this happens, these countries fear that Japan will be severely downgraded, and supplies for products will become scarce. This in turn will ripple through the worlds import/export markets and cause an economic downturn worldwide, at a time when any downturn could throw the world into a complete depression.

He thinks that unless Japan admits to the extent of the problem, and starts a certification program for radioactive free products, that the world's economies may be doomed.

Thanks Tepco. You are killing the whole world in so many different ways. How can you sleep at night. And whatever happened to harikari. Youve been uttterly disgraced, do your duty.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
From EX_SKF

There was no manual for the vent operation. They figured out the procedure by studying the blueprint [of the reactor and Containment Vessel]. After station blackout, they started to collect equipment for the vent, but since there was no detailed information as to what type of equipment was necessary, a wide variety of equipment was brought in, and they wasted time choosing the right equipment.

Then, as they prepared for the vent, some of the equipment was delivered by mistake to Fukushima II Nuclear Power plant (10 kilometers south of Fukushima I) or to J-Village (20 kilometers south of Fukushima I), and someone had to go there to get the equipment. One TEPCO employee at the plant said "There was not enough support from the TEPCO headquarters."

General Manager of the Plant Yoshida and his men planned the accident countermeasures, but they weren't aware that the isolation condenser (IC) that cooled the fuel core of Reactor 1 had stopped temporarily. Yoshida said to the Commission, "It was a huge mistake not to have had this vital information."

They not only didn't have training or a manual for a station blackout, they didn't even have a manual for one of the most basic operations in case of a meltdown. I am so blown away that the Japanese government hasn't started a criminal investigation. Im glad we have.
edit on 17-8-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Jumping in the time machine finds us this:

Originally posted by Soulwarrior
reply to post by TheRedneck

The fast erosion phase of the concrete basemat lasts for about an hour and progresses into about one meter depth, then slows to several centimeters per hour, and stops completely when the melt cools below the decomposition temperature of concrete (about 1100°C). Complete melt-through can occur in several days even through several meters of concrete; the corium then penetrates several meters into the underlying soil, spreads around, cools and solidifies.[3]

Corium-Concrete Interactions

I know this doesn't give a definitive answer to the rate of burn through into soil, but it may provide some help for making a swag at where the corium mass is at present. I'd start the clock at the inital hydrogen explosion possibly.

The data in this wiki and specifically the text above is primarily information gathered from Chernobyl.

Soul

Definitely something to consider when reading reports of steam emanating from cracks around the plant.

Z, I'm not trying to disprove the existence of the underground portion of this complex, in fact I'm certain there are fairly extensive facilities below grade aside from drainage and access tunnels. a post I made a while back highlighted popped manhole covers and many rectangular access hatches of quite large size. Like you, I am incredibly curious about actual events.

Any ductwork from the reactors to the Noble Gas building would have to be routed underground as there are not clearly visible pipes to the buding above ground.

My first "round and round" reference was more along the lines of a carny calling at a spinning wheel as befits the Tepco circus. The second should have been worded differently. Apologies for any confusion.

Offering up observations for discussion and gathering different perspectives will help us paint a clearer picture of what has happened despite the obfuscation and misdirection of those "in charge."

The true events are likely somewhere in the middle or just to the outside of any discussion had from looking in.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
AC or anyone. These pipes dont fit the basic color pattern and were captured here on 4.27 during the IAEA tour. They go between these buildings and heading for where? to do what? Not sure if it's important, but no stone unturned. Its before the water treatment facility was put in Im pretty sure.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

Offering up observations for discussion and gathering different perspectives will help us paint a clearer picture of what has happened despite the obfuscation and misdirection of those "in charge."

The true events are likely somewhere in the middle or just to the outside of any discussion had from looking in.

Thanks for the clarification J&C, and I totally agree. Its such an unbelieveable jigsaw puzzle that there could be many explanations. Of course, the ultimate truth may never be known since they will probably have to entomb ASAP if things keep going the way they are going.

Concerning the manholes, Ive gone back over everything I can find, and it looks like the manholes were displaced by the tsunami, but I still cant find definitive proof. The problem with the tsunami causing this is that it would seem to mean that the tsunami got underneath them and popped them all out. Which in turn would mean that lots of seawater went somewhere. I think anyway. the manhole thing is very interesting and Im still working on it but doubt Ill get any further as there is a lack of pre R3 blast photos. But they are displaced every where it looks like in post blast photos, and these are better to analyze.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...
A very good read. "The Explosive Truth Behind Fukuahima"

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Here is an interesting photo that totally escaped me frirst time I saw it. This is during the first tsunami if the shot before is an indication of sequence (ie their were numerous surges, but the first two were the worst). Note the smoke already in the air. Im going to jump out with an assumption and say that this smoke was occurring before the tsunami and is evidence of EQ damage in the plant. Would love to know where this smoke is coming from. Somewhere in the CWT complex, but where? Hmmm?

ON EDIT: On second look Im not sure where this is. Ill find out and report back. It doesn't fit the CWT area though does it. Any ideas.

ON EDIT2: Im not sure this is even Daiichi. Is this Daini. I cant locate this shot. Eyesights getting old.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

And from the article

The Independent has spoken to several workers at the plant who recite the same story: serious damage, to piping and at least one of the reactors, occurred before the tsunami hit. All have requested anonymity because they are still working at or connected with the stricken plant. Worker A, a maintenance engineer who was at the Fukushima complex on the day of the disaster, recalls hissing, leaking pipes.

"I personally saw pipes that had come apart and I assume that there were many more that had been broken throughout the plant. There's no doubt that the earthquake did a lot of damage inside the plant... I also saw that part of the wall of the turbine building for reactor one had come away. That crack might have affected the reactor."

The reactor walls are quite fragile, he notes: "If the walls are too rigid, they can crack under the slightest pressure from inside so they have to be breakable because if the pressure is kept inside... it can damage the equipment inside so it needs to be allowed to escape. It's designed to give during a crisis, if not it could be worse – that might be shocking to others, but to us it's common sense." Worker B, a technician in his late 30s who was also on site at the time of the earthquake, recalls: "It felt like the earthquake hit in two waves, the first impact was so intense you could see the building shaking, the pipes buckling, and within minutes I saw pipes bursting. Some fell off the wall...

"Someone yelled that we all needed to evacuate. But I was severely alarmed because as I was leaving I was told and I could see that several pipes had cracked open, including what I believe were cold water supply pipes. That would mean that coolant couldn't get to the reactor core. If you can't sufficiently get the coolant to the core, it melts down. You don't have to have to be a nuclear scientist to figure that out." As he was heading to his car, he could see that the walls of the reactor one building had started to collapse. "There were holes in them. In the first few minutes, no one was thinking about a tsunami. We were thinking about survival."

The suspicion that the earthquake caused severe damage to the reactors is strengthened by reports that radiation leaked from the plant minutes later. The Bloomberg news agency has reported that a radiation alarm went off about a mile from the plant at 3.29pm, before the tsunami hit.

That opens up a new area of investigation. Need to find a photo from before the r1 blast that shows this damage. The reason this could be very significasnt is because it might mean that R1 was venting after all and hydrogen wasnt the cause of the blast. Just a thought but....

Damn, boss is here and cant do any more posting till later.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor
reply to post by Wertwog

I was NEVER solidly refuted. YOU think so, just because YOU think so, don't make it right son.

Watch, you will be eating crow pie in less than 2 years, once the complete official analysis is completed.

And no, I'm ALWAYS here lurking now. I absolutely can't wait until that day, because as you are now seeing, others are starting to pick apart the pieces and see the same thing.

Besides, do I believe people who are experts in each of their fields, who have absolutely no agenda at covering up the facts, or a nameless faceless person who THINKS they see something on a message board?

Gee Monty, I'll take door number 1.

Ok, well, I'll be happy to eat crow pie (I hear it's not so bad) as long as the TRUTH is discovered eventually and we can all stop chewing on the same bone like ravenous dogs. Perhaps you will be eating it, who knows. Yes, I do believe that you getting the reactor and SFP in completely the wrong position as Silver pointed out is pretty hardcore refutation. Not by me but by several others.

There are experts who think the SFP blew and also those who think the reactor blew. In terms of the impact on the people of Japan or the world, does it really matter? We have a huge mess either way.

Personally I think you are a bully who desperately wants to be proven RIGHT so you can rub it in the faces of folks who had the gall to stand up to you - how dare us faceless nameless ones! But don't you think that's just a little bit obscene given that we are really talking about? This isn't some gopher hole

[I wash my faceless everyday
]

For the record, the time machine asks everyone to return to p932 and the infamous p934.

Originally posted by Silverlok

Originally posted by zworld
Im sorry if my stating my belief ...snip... people cause they dont agree with your SPECULATIONS is the best way to have other people leave a thread and lurkers not join.

matador was flat wrong about the location of the reactor . It is not in the center of the building . It CANNOT BE AS THE TORUS WOULD NOT FIT IN THE BUILDING IF IT WAS . The reactors are offset towards the turbine building s to accommodate the torus fitting under the adjoining building and staying inside the reactor building.
therefore his basic premise was wrong and it made it obvious he was under educated on this particular site .
he also had the placement of the spf pool in the wrong area the area he points to would have been the drying pool .

I have not seen conclusive evidence anywhere that the sounds were added , if there is some I would like to see it, and I personally ran a size comparison on both the rpv , cv caps and the holes in the roof of the turbine building and found a correlation with BOTH that puts the statistical odds of the caps being responsible into the 'very high probability' arena , also he seemed unaware of the end placement of the concrete containment , though it was mention in the post wert dug up for his benefit( which means he didn't bother to read it or failed to pay attention to details, either one not a quality I would want in a 'bomb' expert)

so what I am saying is he was rude , arrogant , inconsiderate , and most importantly; incorrect from the word go ....even when people were trying to be reasonable with him. That is not ganging up, or a flame war, he was simply put in his place ... if it's a spade call it a spade

And quite frankly when SF first started posting here I was both feeling ornery and drunk and just about got him mad enough to explode by constantly busting his balls , even when he was (mostly ;-) right...he forgave me for being a lout, when I admitted I was being an ass...big boys should be able to handle getting knocked on their ass once in a while .

Why should we worry if people do not join or if they leave ? We are here: sometimes right sometimes wrong and any and all are free to partake or not as they choose ...the size of fan club does not change the truth one millimeter from it's course, and even if a million doctor start believing smoking is good for you it still won't be

Originally posted by SFA437

Oh, one more item. When used as an Expert Witness in Federal Court, what happens in the courtroom, stays in the courtroom, or the Expert Witness also then goes to jail.

You're confusing sealed Grand Jury testimony with the actual trial. If what you say was true then the guys who run the Investigation Discovery channel would all be in PRISON (jail is county- not state or Federal BTW).

Also a citation number would allow anyone to run a docket search where every single case that has been tried before a Federal Judge or Magistrate in the country is archived. EVERY SINGLE CASE.

I was also pulled into this investigation by BATF (that I can openly speak about):

And my DD214 is classified in the interests of national security so I can't prove I'm a super duper secret squirrel SEAL ninja-fied dealer of death and if I told you I'd have to kill you.... but trust me...

Oh yeah for those who don't know a Type 33 license is given to anyone with a need to use high explosives and 100 bucks in their pocket (other than those convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence or any felony). It's essentially the explosive based equivalent to a BATFE Class III NFA license.

If you had ever been considered an Expert Witness, you would know the rules.

See, if you knew anything about the industry, you wouldn't make silly childlike mistakes like that.

If you had ever been in a courtroom you'd have known the difference between jail and prison and that a case citation does not provide transcripts but refers to a notation in LexisNexis as well as a Federal docket register.

See, if you ever were really in a courtroom you wouldn't make silly childlike mistakes like that.

Actually why not toss out the case citation for the one you are "allowed" to talk about.... I still have all of mine. Just sayin.....

Sorry for the derail guys & girls. Walter Mitty types just put a burr under my saddle. I'm done on this topic

edit on 11-6-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2011 by SFA437 because: All edits for formatting / multiquote issues.

Originally posted by SFA437
To put this to rest:

In the photo posted by matadoor as proof that the SFR pool went high order the pool is on the left of the building with #2 to it's left and #4 to the right.

In the video of the explosion here which Arnie referred to as the SFR pool- the explosive event is on the right side

Not only is matadoor disagreeing with the majority of the posters on this thread he places the SFR pool on the opposite side of the reactor building from where Arnie places it

[on edit] Wow, just noticed that the video has been removed due to COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
So it seems we still have need for a "Don't feed the trolls" icon.

Man, that the agitators are still active here speaks volumes to me on how much impact this hidden thread still has.

--

edit on 11-6-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typo and formatting fixes

and finally,

reply to post by matadoor

Actually I havent ruled out a reactor blast or the reactor spewing hydrogen. In fact, if there was a sudden decrease in pressure in the RPV, as well as corium breaching the bottom as an explanation, it could maybe mean that the pressure, which if memory serves was past the design limits, blew the pressure bolts holding the cap on just enough to blow out built up hydrogen pressure into the level of the SFP, combining with its hydrogen being released, and then boom boom. Just another possibility. I think however, to maintain the lower pressure readings, either the cap or the vessel were breached somewhere significantly.

This 3 explosion has more lives than a hundred cats.

But what continues to trouble me is that 3 blew the whole building and not just the upper floors, so howcome the first floor is fairly clean.
edit on 12-6-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

So, once again, for the sake of everyone's sanity, M, do you have anything to add to the actual debate?
edit on 17-8-2011 by Wertwog because: added something

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thanks J&C, that is great info. I doubt the basement floor would contain the corium for long if indeed that is where it ended up. Even with water being poured continuously over the top of it, it internal mass wouldn't be able to be cooled sufficiently.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Page 580

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by ikonoklast

It is basically vindication IMO. There is no way the corium from reactor #3 is inside that building. All that is left of the RPV now is a huge vertical piece of pipe. I now believe that the posters who were saying they thought they saw the lid of the reactor in the explosion were probably right.

The actual corium is sitting underneath the building inside the bedrock. Apparently the rock can dissipate enough heat to keep it from moving down, at least quickly. If not, we would already have seen a steam explosion that would have dwarfed the last one. The small amount of steam indicates that the corium is now quite probably solid again, floating in seawater mostly encased in the bedrock. That steam is very hazardous, containing isotopes ranging from strontium-90 to iodine-131 to chlorine-36 and everything in between. A cool, solid mass of corium puts out just as much heat and radiation as a superheated liquid mass of corium. The heat of a meltdown is a reaction, not a cause.

Every shift of the tides is pumping that highly radioactive seawater back out into the Pacific or water back into the cracks around the corium. Seawater levels will continue to rise until everything in that area is dead. Beyond this kill zone, there will be a larger buffer zone that will harbor dying and mutating species, but will still support some kind of life.

I believe, based on TEPCO's actions, that the bedrock is cracked far too much to attempt a repair.

Northern Japan is a dead zone without knowing it. Anything within 50 miles is going to die prematurely, some fairly quickly. It will remain an uninhabitable zone for what is practically eternity.

Other countries... well, I expect there to be an adjustment on the US west coast to deal with higher radiation levels in the water. The air contamination is slowly easing, which makes me believe that it was caused by the initial explosion at #3 and not by continuing contamination of the air. Obviously, the US will be the foremost major country to see widespread effects, although the coasts of China and Russia will see some appreciable contamination as well, probably higher than the US. Smaller countries like North and South Korea will also be affected significantly.

The extent of international effects will be ultimately determined not by #3, but by #1 and #2, and possibly by #5 and #6. The plant will soon become completely unworkable; those brave heroes are going to die. Soon. I doubt they will be able to keep things under wraps after that, and therefore will be unable to get more workers. If there are reactions occurring in those other reactors, they will probably explode as well without human intervention. Ironically, the best case with #1 and #2 will be that they are melting into the bedrock as well, contaminating the Pacific more, but not blowing more isotopes into the upper atmosphere to be dumped on other countries.

The spent fuel pools will be a local problem, not an international one. They will be at least as devastating as the meltdowns to Japan.

We just witnessed the removal of Japan from the status of developed country, and a new era of radiation concerns worldwide.

TheRedneck

I miss TRN! I really wish we had his and Silver's opinions right about now.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

---
Thanks Tepco. You are killing the whole world in so many different ways. How can you sleep at night. And whatever happened to harikari. Youve been uttterly disgraced, do your duty.

Wow Z! Totally agree btw, but man, that's hardcore.

In Invitation to Tepco execs.....

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Here is an interesting photo that totally escaped me frirst time I saw it. This is during the first tsunami if the shot before is an indication of sequence (ie their were numerous surges, but the first two were the worst). Note the smoke already in the air. Im going to jump out with an assumption and say that this smoke was occurring before the tsunami and is evidence of EQ damage in the plant. Would love to know where this smoke is coming from. Somewhere in the CWT complex, but where? Hmmm?

ON EDIT: On second look Im not sure where this is. Ill find out and report back. It doesn't fit the CWT area though does it. Any ideas.

ON EDIT2: Im not sure this is even Daiichi. Is this Daini. I cant locate this shot. Eyesights getting old.

Let me give some possible sources.

1. Water spray from hitting that first building head on. I can't see the real "color" of the smoke so not sure.

2. The earthquake ruptured a steam conduit between the reactor and turbine building.

3. If memory serves, this is in the general area of the cooling exchangers, possibly they were ruptured by the earthquake.

many others, but that's a start....

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Has anyone ever found ground temperature readings for the plant? Are they tracking that publicly?

I just did a quick check and found nothing, so far.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

You ever take the DISC personality testing?

www.onlinediscprofile.com...

Taken it twice, many years apart. I score as almost 96% "D" - highest in both courses I've taken and both were almost exactly the same.

"Dominance: Direct and to the point, decisive and bottom line oriented. These people tend to be independent and results driven. They are strong-willed people who enjoy challenges, taking action, and immediate results."

Been married for 30 years, took the wife a little while to understand my style, lucky for me she's a VERY high S for Steadiness...

Not a bully, just trying to get to the facts.

Of course in my fields, having this personality is an ideal match..

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Well well, some new stills of Fuk. Hope the gang can see something in them.

I see these workers are by the hot spot behind #1.

new topics

top topics

<< 1019  1020  1021    1023  1024  1025 >>

join