It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1018.htm
<< 1015  1016  1017    1019  1020  1021 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
So it seems that the reactor vessels hold about 7,000 tons of water...

COLD SHUTDOWN OF THE FUKUSHIMA NUCLEAR POWER PLANT

Pumping Water into the Reactors and Decontaminating the Water

The U.S. military offered unmanned helicopters to help with the Fukushima nuclear power plant crisis to set up cranes and remove spent fuel rods.

TEPCO continued injecting water into the containment vessel until the fuel rods inside were fully submerged in what the power company has called a "water coffin." In late April TEPCO said it believed pressure suppression pools at the bottom of the No. 1 reactor's containment vessel were full of water, and that the top section of the containment vessel was about half full. Under normal circumstances, the pressure suppression pools are about 50 percent full with water. The pressure suppression pools help control the air pressure inside the reactor's pressure vessel. Operators can open valves to release steam from the vessel into the suppression pools, where it is cooled and condensed to water. [Source: Yomiuri Shimbun, April 25, 2011]

According to TEPCO, it has poured about 7,000 tons of water into the No. 1 reactor's pressure vessel. The company said it believes almost all of that water is still inside the pressure vessel and the containment vessel. However, the firm said it has injected about 14,000 tons of water into the No. 2 reactor and 9,600 tons of water into the No. 3 reactor since cooling operations began. In both cases, the amount injected exceeds the about-7,000-ton capacity of the reactors' containment vessels. TEPCO believes considerable amounts of water leaked from those reactors' containment vessels into their turbine buildings through cracks in pressure suppression pools and other routes. [Ibid]

good image of steam valves there too.

============
I think this steam coming up from cracks in the ground is what you guys may have been seeing all across the plant - from camera to near #4. If, as I suggested earlier, the Underground Complex was heating up and possibly boiling, then this steam has to find somewhere to escape. Quite possibly it has been that which caused all the steam/fog/smoke we have seen in the webcams over the past few weeks and now things have got so bad that they have to admit to it happening. I wonder what else we will see in the next few weeks. As long as the steam can get out, we probably wont have an explosion, but we are still getting the radiation going into the environment, of course.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I agree. in fact, ever since considering the possibility that there was a facility underneath Fukushima, and that there was nuclear fuel in this facility that was much richer than that used in power plants, I have been trying to understand what part this facility might have played in the initial meltdowns, and what a possible outcome to this whole fiasco might be. And I came up with this;

1) There are four things needed to make this facility operable. Water, electricity, an exhaust system and a way to move machinery and people in and out without being noticed. The water is easily procured. The electricity comes from the back part of the 1/2 switching yard building (1/2 SY), the exhaust leaves from the southend complex thru the EH/; or by tieing into any of the R1 thru R4 reactor stacks via the complex system of piping found between the reactors and the turbine buildings that connect to the EH. The main entrance through which machinery and people pass is the CSFP.

2) When the quake hit it may have done damage to the fuel in the UC, as well as destroying the piping that fed water into the UC. It also more than likely caused cracks in the structure that allowed groundwater and seawater to penetrate into the UC. When the tsunami hit, more seawater invaded the UC through blown manholes and cracks in the structure.

3) The path of least resistance for the UC to the outside environment would be thru either the exhaust system or the electrical cabling tunnels from the 1/2SY. The other tunnels that are used by humans would be secured behind numerous steel blast doors (Ill post a pic of one of the doors in the reactor buildings tomorrow).

4) The blast in R1 further weakened the security of the electrical tunnels, allowing communication between the UC and the 1/2 SY.

5) The R3 blast initiated in the UC and sent a shockwave through the electrical tunnels and briefly out the 1/2SY building. This is the initial pulse (that we may never see again) that occurs about 0.3 second before the ignition of hydrogen in the tunnel system and causes the doors between the UC and R3 to open. This in turn causes the hydrogen to ignite, that causes intense pressure in the UC and causing the fuel to go super prompt critical, a nuclear explosion the emits through the tunnel system up and out R3. This is why Arnie and others have said the cloud that comes out is very similar to a nuclear explosion.

6) This blast causes the corium in R3 to scatter throughout the torus and basement. The fuel in 1 and 2 has already gone through containment and the basement.

7) As the water rises in the UC eventually all of the fuel that is there, and what was once in the reactors, is now heating the groundwater and seawater that has now risen to seawater heighth in the UC under Fukushima.

8) This in turn becomes one mass of bubbling, boiling water that will eventually escape to above ground, or cause another explosion.

9) The only hope Tepco has is to keep pumping water and nitrogen in and hope that eventually everything cools down with no more explosions.

this was a scenario I came up with a while ago. So the idea of steam coming from cracks in the ground is not unexpected.

ON EDIT: And speaking of blurry cams, I came across this one near R4.

edit on 15-8-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Hey Z Thanks for all your hard work! Funny how your question to focus & outta focus within the
same view comes to mind...as that was my question to you. PC & I have noticed for the past few months
the changes & ongoing at the Cat Walk. I have photos from July in time sequence showing the ground changes & releases & the videos from 1st Aug only difference is it appears there's water underneath Cat Walk now, but releases are still flowing up. The July photos of the ground changes under the right side of the Cat Walk appear to resemble the last Robotic video where the film starts to deteriorate. I'm only learning but looks so much alike in respect that what is deteriorating goes to out of focus & the outside portions remain in focus.
Sorry if my comments were lame....I remember early on in the thread that Silver & another specialized poster showed photos that revealed high radioactivity due to the white spots in the photo.
Would have to look back thru many, but there is a photo showing 4 white spots rising up on the right just above the corner of the white square box. It may be a Purple C grab....so we still have Black Spots, White Spots, & what appears to be Dark Smoke or Dark Fog coming up out of the ground.
I would not have revisited this here only privately, but now hearing of cracks & leakage coming up, thought
it may back up what PC & I have been mentioning.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

With all due respect to the great work you've been doing on the thread Z, TRN was the first on this thread to propose that the corium had made it to the bedrock long ago. As for #3 explosions you were adamant that it had been a hydrogen explosion that blew the SFP, as Arnie's theory was, and you've since changed that opinion based on what you've discovered. What Silver and TRN believed was that the corium had melted through the RPV and into secondary containment and contacted water resulting in an explosion that blew the cap off the RPV and everything else to smithereens, I still think this is highly probable. I also believe hydrogen ignited in the basement or UC explaining some of the manhole covers popping off and other building damages you've found, however, the hydrogen ignition did not have to initiate a prompt-criticality which would require nearby walls to generate the pressure wave to force criticality. It could have been that the hot corium lava ignited the airborne hydrogen (it is hot enough on it's own) as it was dropping into water lying on the secondary containment floor. Upon exiting the RPV, the lava blew the airborne hydrogen all throughout the complex and then the corium contacted water and the steam (or possible nuke) explosion followed and flowed upward through the RPV and roof. I'm sure you'll disagree with me there, but it's all good.

Explosions aside, the bedrock issue. Whether the corium encountered water at the secondary containment, the basement, torus, pipes or UC isn't all that important as the secondary containment floor, pipes or anything else could not have withstood for long and the corium, as TRN believed, has been in the bedrock for some time. The water levels in basements and elsewhere has been from leftover tsunami flooding and cooling efforts which they must continue resulting in lots of steam. As we discussed, Tepco's management method of choice has been a slow release of steam (far more lethal over time) as opposed to admitting the truth and making efforts to cap it if they could.

What was unknown was how long it would take the corium to reach groundwater in which case there could still be a high-order steam explosion. As I see it, what could be happening now if we are seeing steam emerge from fissures in the ground;

1. The ground and ground water are heating as the 100+tons of corium per reactor make their way downwards. This is resulting in increased steam which is venting anywhere it can. Is is actually a good thing as it is reliving pressure, making a high-levell steam explosion less likely, but resulting in more radioactive releases.

2. If the corium blobs make their way into any sizable puddles of groundwater underground we could still see a large explosion, but it is likely steaming off most of what it encounters on it's way down. Continuous cooling and heat dissipation throughout the rock and earth will enable the crust to form and slow mobility.

3. If the corium has separated into smaller chunks, scattered as Z proposes, this is actually better as the blobs will crust and slow more quickly allowing cooling efforts to be more effective provided they can be reached.

4. No wonder they want to cover the buildings! They would want to dismantle the buildings so they have better access to the corium underground, but want to prevent eyes from seeing. This makes a whole lot of sense as to why they are using these ridiculous tents.... it's not about containment it's about preventing people from seeing what is happening!

Highly contaminated groundwater! As I suspected high levels of tritium. Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Reference to Tritium in Water .Very bad news indeed as tritium is essentially water with an extra neutron and regardless of the stupid ICRP model (which has been thoroughly debunked by Busby and even it's author as useless but somehow still used everywhere) extremely genotoxic.

Time for some deep breathing exercises. Serenity now, serenity now....

As always, continue on ATS super sleuths...

edit on 16-8-2011 by Wertwog because: fiddling

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

These pics are from today Aug 15. I wasn't going to throw them up but Z mentioned the south end being used to move stuff in and out so ignore them if they are useless. I just wouldn't want to miss anything important.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
www.youtube.com.../u/4/bZKqZb0Jl1U
The news clip they came from. I'm sorry gang. this link only takes us to the page. Not the exact video. It's about 7 or 8 videos down. Sorry. Still learning.
edit on 16-8-2011 by Aircooled because: Damn technology!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
High radiation count from Toronto Ontario.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Just had a trawl through my history and favourites for a good high quality video of R3 that doesn't look like a calculator. Best one has been pulled down too! Scarily enough many japan earthquake/ground cracking videos have been pulled, the only R3 and R1 videos are horrendous quality. A wide angle view of R3 explosion it appears to definately not just be from R3... looks like something to the right goes up as well. Also R1 explosion there is a craptonne of smoke coming from the building prior to explosion - wouldn't the source of the smoke have ignited hydrogen already? Could the smoke be corium vapourising concrete and steel before hitting the torus?

edit587238: Just had a brainwave. Krikkosnack user on YT may know or have a copy around (these are the guys that did the field trip to fukushima).

I think there is a lot more to these explosions than simple hydrogen.

Also these are mostly 'user removed' videos. Perhaps japan pressured them, they are japanese user accounts, or some other thing is afoot. They are not DMCA claims due to using NHK etc footage.

edit: ZW initially I was going to say blur is from camera rotation but the tops of the bulding are sharp as hell. Could be raindrops/water from the spraying operation. The dark patch should be 'noisier' and less resolution as cameras need a lot of light to get good results. Broadcast HD filming requires a craptonne of light, hence why camera crews are pretty easy to spot

edit 898934 Have messaged oztv watcher about his clip... keep ya'll posted.

oztvwatcher
"Fukushima I Nuclear Power P..."
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Fukushima Central Television.

There we go... that one is a copyright claim.

Here is a backup copy of oztvwatchers video www.youtube.com... too crushed to show the shockwave though.
edit on 16/8/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Here's my translation of the Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant layout. I had to make some educated guesses for a few parts because of how blurry the text is, but I think it should be helpful as a general reference.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ren1999
It is great you are all keeping up with the radiation.
I just want to remind you that I'm still feeling vertical shaking in Tokyo.
Yesterday the shaking was strong for one second.
This happened at 3:30p.m. and 1:30a.m. this morning.
Most people either didn't notice it or are trying to ignore it.
A few people are very worried about it including myself.

Ren - found this video. Have you witnessed any of this yourself?

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by daniero

Great job Daniero on the building translate!! Gonna help immensely in referring to the different buildings now!!

Thanks so VERY much!!!

And once again, amazing to wake up and see all the marvelous, intelligent and inquisitive posts by everyone!

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Awesome work Dainero. ZW and AC are going to love you to bits

hisz.rsoe.hu...

August 15th; Nuclear event at Turkey Point plant, two westinghouse PWRs reside there. Little different to fukushima dai-ichi. Can't find a thing on the net about it. Any locals on here?
edit: It's in Florida.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

Turkey Point:

Happened last Thurs. ---

Facility: TURKEY POINT Region: 2 State: FL Unit: [3] [ ] [ ] RX Type: [3] W-3-LP,[4] W-3-LP NRC Notified By: NICHOLAS DESANTIS HQ OPS Officer: MARK ABRAMOVITZ Notification Date: 08/11/2011 Notification Time: 21:07 [ET] Event Date: 08/11/2011 Event Time: 16:31 [EDT] Last Update Date: 08/11/2011 Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY 10 CFR Section: 50.72(b)(3)(v)(B) - POT RHR INOP 50.72(b)(3)(v)(D) - ACCIDENT MITIGATION Person (Organization): GEORGE HOPPER (R2DO) Unit SCRAM Code RX CRIT Initial PWR Initial RX Mode Current PWR Current RX Mode 3 N Y 100 Power Operation 100

Power Operation Event Text LOSS OF INTAKE COOLING WATER FOR 20 MINUTES "At 1631 hours on Thursday, August 11, 2011, Turkey Point Unit 3 lost the function of the Intake Cooling Water (ICW) System for approximately 20 minutes. This is reportable in accordance with 10 CFR 50.72(b)(3)(v)(B) and (D). Loss of function occurred when manual valve 3-50-406, ICW/Component Cooling Water (CCW) Heat Exchanger Outlet Valve, failed closed. Valve 3-50-406 is located in the common discharge line preventing flow through both ICW headers to the CCW heat exchangers. Operations Department personnel opened the bypass valves associated with the failed valve and restored ICW flow to the CCW heat exchangers at approximately 1651 hours. "Presently, Unit 3 is in Mode 1 at 100% power with all systems stable." The failed valve is a manual 24" butterfly valve. The bypass valve can maintain full flow. During this event, Operations personnel monitored CCW temperature. Unit 3 briefly entered T.S. 3.0.3 before restoring flow using the bypass. A high RCP temperature alarm was received following the momentary loss of ICW flow. The valve failure was accompanied with a loud bang. The licensee notified the NRC Resident Inspector.

www.nrc.gov...

On Edit: Added ENENEWS...

enenews.com...

- Purple Chive

edit on 16-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Thanks PC! Jesus, a single valve and reactor nearly throws a dummy!? Yet people keep supporting this horrific technology
global elite really need to learn2tesla commercially or they'll loose their power structure eventually, when someone else executes it perfectly...

edit: hold up, you've been seeing steam coming from the lower parts of the webcam feed for a while.... *click*. All fits into place! Same thing tepco employees are reporting!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
reply to post by ren1999

Ren. Is that to mean the shaking is up and down instead of side to side ?

The shaking is up and down which means the quake is close. The one I was talking about was just north and west of Chiba, Japan.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

WW, I don't take credit for any of the things Ive come up with, except discovering the pre blast pulse, and connecting the dots concerning the CSFP and SY. Everything else has been discussed before on numerous forums. From day one there have been physicists and others that have emphatically stated that there were 3 melt downs and melt throughs. The concept that one person came up with the idea that corium in one of the reactors has left the building is wholly inaccurate. It was a widely held belief by many from day one.

If this forum thread wants to pat itself on the back for anything, its the simple fact that people here didnt buy any of the official BS, fought hard to understand the truth, and we continue to do that to this day.

However, I will take credit for joining this forum at a time when it was experiencing an intelligence lock down. By that I mean that a group of you demanded that all the members of the thread agree with you or hit the road, and I broke that log jam open, because this was the last forum that was still on Fuku's case and where people are allowed to think outside the box.

Hopefully we can continue to investigate this disaster in a professional manner as an environmental forensics investigation demands. With all due respect.

ON EDIT: I should add that I personally dont agree with the scenario that R3 corium has penetrated through the basement. R1 and R2, yes. But I think R3's corium, as I suggested, is scattered in the basement, and this is why they pump 3 times as much water into R3 as they do R1 and R2. But the truth on that issue wont be known for a long time if ever.
edit on 16-8-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
Just had a trawl through my history and favourites for a good high quality video of R3 that doesn't look like a calculator. Best one has been pulled down too! Scarily enough many japan earthquake/ground cracking videos have been pulled, the only R3 and R1 videos are horrendous quality........
edit 898934 Have messaged oztv watcher about his clip... keep ya'll posted.
yeah, that seems to be where it all lies now. I dont have you tube download capabilities, even when trying to use an application that is designed for it. Dont know why? But Im kicking myself cause I shouldve taken the time to capture it frame by frame which I could have done with VLC. I am so stupid. Now I fear its gone for good unless oztv can come up with something. Good idera to contact him.

I thought the blurring was a light/dark artifact kind of thing, but then I started finding shots that were blurred in light areas and not dark areas. Now Im leaning towards the fact that they sprayed anti scattering agent on hot spots like the 10+ Sv and these areas are still emitting through the chemical spray. But its still just another Fuku mystery.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by daniero

Daniero, a million stars my friend. That is incredible work. Wow.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Power Point timeline by NISA and TEPCO

Not much to see here folks, but decided to post...more info from TEPCO would sure be nice!!

ajw.asahi.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Looking through the latest images (again much appreciation AC) at the moment so I'll post on those in a bit, but I've also been digging back in the early pages of this monster thread some as well...a few things that jumped out at me:

To the poster who suggested just letting it melt down... uranium melts at about 3000°C, and a meltdown can create temperatures of over 6000°C. That is far beyond the melting point of the reactor vessel itself, even above the melting point of most rocks. Allowed to run freely, a full reactor could theoretically melt its way through the reactor vessel, venting all of its water supply as radioactive steam, through the concrete containment floor, through the soil and bedrock, until it merged with magma in the mantle. This newly formed tube through the crust would be a perfect candidate for a new, radioactive volcano. To quote Egon Spangler from Ghostbusters, "That would be a bad thing."

The Redneck

here's an early video that still works...daniero, partial translation? or at least a summary perhaps as it's quite lengthy.

and finally the Tepco Cam is showing a moderate amount of gamma strikes continually, so I imagine that the place is as hot as ever. Especially now with reports of radioactive steam issuing from the ground in multiple locations along with several 10Sv/hr hits as well.

And actually, aren't these potentially higher as their equipment maxes at 10Sv/hr?

new topics

top topics

<< 1015  1016  1017    1019  1020  1021 >>

join