It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1008.htm
<< 1005  1006  1007    1009  1010  1011 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Someone is pushing the NRC chairman hard it seems. He wants to rush the safety review through within 3 months rather than taking longer like 3 of the 5 members of the task force want to. He wants to dump it on someone else's doorstep quickly.

Jaczko Votes for NRC Fukushima Report, Spurns Calls to Delay

Recentlyy there have been problems with US nuclear reactors due to flooding and leaks. Now is the only chance they will get to review the safety measures in the light of what has been learnt from Fukushima. It could be years before another full safety review is done for all the reactors. It just goes to show the panic that the nuclear industry is feeling (and rightly so) due to this review of their on-going terrible safety record.

I am sure the 3 who are holding out will be 'got to' and 'persuaded to bow under pressure unfortunately. It makes you very angry that people in positions of authority are influenced to cut corners and by-pass safety. That is why there is a 5-member commission, so that the majority can decide and without the chairman throwing his unwanted weight around.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Krypton-85 and Xenon-131m

I'll continue to do more research but if any of you brainiacs out there can help me comprehend and digest why TEPCO went through the effort to set up this gas sampling instrument to collect radioactive materials INSIDE unit 2...sure would appreciate your insight!! See link below.

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

From Physics Forum...

The detection of Kr-85 (if the results are correct) is interesting. As far as I am aware, Kr-85 is not produced in the long decay chains, so all of it has been around ever since the fissions stopped. If it is still found in the containment, my first impression is that either

(a) the containment has somehow been able to contain the noble gas Kr-85 ever since the fuel failures occurred in spite of the leaks and the suspected hydrogen explosion early on during the accident
(b) Kr-85 has been released to the containment atmosphere more recently, which means that some fuel rod claddings have lost their integrity only recently
(c) corium is still outgassing

noble gas releases from fuel would have reached 100 % before it even starts to melt. Therefore, the only way I see new release of Kr possible is that part of the fuel would have not overheated to 100 % release levels (=would possible have maintained their cladding integrity and would continue to slowly release noble gases). This is exactly the point I found interesting about the results: to me it seems that either the containment is able to contain noble gases for a long period of time or part of the core must have remained unmelted.

www.physicsforums.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Hmmm!

Rice from town near Tokyo is radiation-free, tests show

Reuters) - Samples of rice grown in a town near Tokyo showed no radioactive materials when tested, officials said on Wednesday, a relief for farmers preparing to ship Japan's traditional food staple.

Concerns over food safety have grown after radiation from the smashed Fukushima Daiichi power plant has leaked across northern and eastern Japan since March, the world's worst nuclear crisis in 25 years.

Some local authorities are testing their rice to see if it contains too much cesium. Rice grown in the town of Tako in Chiba prefecture, 240 km (150 miles) southwest of Fukushima, was tested this week to determine if more stringent checks are needed [color=limegreen]after the town measured high radiation in the ground, local officials said.

"The results are a relief, but we consider it as only part of the procedure to determine safety in rice consumption," said Shigetoshi Abe, a Chiba official in charge of food safety.
Source

Day 153, maybe we pass the first %?

Greetings:

Thank you for all you do and our prayers are with you and yours.

Question, if you please.

Just how much cesium is "too much?"

Radioactive cesium levels exceeding [color=limegreen]5,000 becquerels per kilogram have been detected in farmland close to the nuclear plant and farmers in these areas will likely be barred from growing rice this season, government sources said.

The Fukushima prefectural government announced Wednesday that rice paddies in Iitatemura have shown as much as 15,031 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium. Part of Iitatemura is within 20 kilometers to 30 kilometers of the plant, where residents have been instructed to stay indoors.

Seems to be that these rice paddies are somewhat radioactive... just saying.

Evacuation Frustrates Iitatemura Mayor

FUKUSHIMA--Norio Kanno, mayor of Iitatemura, Fukushima Prefecture, must evacuate his entire village by the end of the month under a government order due to radiation leaks from the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

Kanno: "They're going to suffer mentally, physically and economically, and their children's education will be put in jeopardy.

There's been a lot of thought put into protecting people's health from radiation, but the loss of stability in life caused by the evacuation hasn't been given enough consideration.

"Some experts have even said people face a higher cancer risk from smoking than radiation."
source

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:03pm IST
REUTERS - Radiation levels in Chiba prefecture neighbouring Tokyo are now more than [color=limegreen]10 times above normal levels, Kyodo News reported on Tuesday.

Question: If one is to believe the JapGov that there is no more radiation, where has this "previously-identified" radiation gone?

Did it just evaporate?

The maximum level was based on studies that have shown brown rice absorbs one-tenth of the radioactive cesium in soil. Since [color=limegreen]the provisional guideline for radiation in rice is 500 becquerels per kilogram under the Food Sanitation Law, the government decided on a limit of 5,000 becquerels per kilogram.
source

Seems like the JapGov is (still) making up the rules as the game continues.

"Demand for old crops which are free from radiation would be stable. But the new crop's January contract seems just overblown," a trader at a Tokyo-based commodity brokerage said.
source

This statement would seem to infer that "new" crops are suspect and have an aura of "radiation poisoning" attached, n'est-ce pas?

Question:

Are the "new crops" actually radiation-free?

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I think someone was looking for this,,for confirmation of the different explosions,,hydrogen and nuclear.

edit on 11-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Good stuff youze guyz.

AC, yes I think the hole that is being used to pump out of has to mean something. Dont know what. Im assuming its being pumped from, what else would they be doing. It could be an emergency water line that they have tapped into but I doubt that as I dont see why it would be buried. Maybe there is some kind of tank underground. Another unanswered question. Here, wait a minute, Ill call up Tepco and get this straightened out right away.

Also AC, thank you a million for the vids. And no im not surprised one of the most important ones disappeared. Its the current MO.

Ill post more tonight. Lots to add but have fallen behind in work and boss is pissed.

Welcome back Okiecowboy, and yep, not much has changed at all. Except that Tepco is more pissed then ever cause they cant get rid of us.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
Somehow, I think there needs to be an independent monitor for this kind of thing.

And thats the thing that scares them the most. During the BP boondoggle numerous researchers pressed for an independent team to monitor the situation. Youd think we had asked for the keys to Ft Knox. The bottom line is though, these entities like BP and Tepco are operating in the public domain, and the governments in charge, by not pushing for independent reviews, are in violation of the public trust doctrine.

Right now the international community should demand an independent team that incorporates all NGOs that have been involved to this point (ie Greenpeace, Safecast etc) as well as government agencies from concerned nations (Russia, China, Taiwan etc). And move in whether Tepco and the Japanese puppet government agrees or not. The people of Japan would be happy to see an independent team. Its only the gov and corporations that dont, and who the hell do they think they are anyway!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
And this tells it all as well. If the people of the world dont wake up soon, this kind of moral disease will be seen everywhere. As George Carlin warned us, "Do you really think they care. Do you. WELL THEY DONT. THEY DONT CARE AT ALL. YOU HAVE NO POWER. WE ARE ALL PAWNS AND THEY DONT CARE!!!

From NHK this AM.

Nuclear commission erases children's exposure data.

Japan's nuclear watchdog has been found to have erased from its website, data on the results of thyroid checkups for children in Fukushima Prefecture.

The Nuclear Safety Commission had uploaded the test results carried out by the government in March. More than 1,000 children aged 15 or younger were checked to see whether radioactive substances are accumulating in their thyroid.

The results included information that showed a 4-year-old infant in Iwaki City was exposed to 35 millisieverts of radiation. This amount is not considered a health threat.

But the commission removed all the data earlier this month. It cited the possibility that individual children could be identified because detailed information such as the 4-year-old's address was included.

The deletion is drawing criticism as no other similar data is available on children's health. Children have greater risks of developing thyroid cancer.

Professor emeritus Hirotada Hirose of Tokyo Woman's Christian University says the commission cannot escape blame that it removed the data fearing a negative reaction to children's exposure. He said the move runs counter to providing accurate information to the public.

Welcome to the new world order folks. They put it in place sometime ago, they just forgot to tell us.

ITS TIME TO TAKE IT ALL BACK AND SEND THESE VULTURES PACKING OR THEY WILL EXTERMINATE US.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
One last post. In the background is the water pumper that theyve been using for the SFPs in R3 and R4. Only this time its perched over the EH (exhaust house) and not R3 or R4. WTF! Are they really pumping into this building that has been demolished and should not need water for any reason.

ON EDIT: it could just be the resting place for the arm when not in use. Ill call up Tepco again and find out. Funny, the number is now disconnected.

edit on 11-8-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I agree 100%....Where the h$ll are the independent ground teams to make sure anything they export is safe? Oh I forgot, All of a sudden we realize they are starving still in Africa and don't have the personnel !!
Is that where the tainted rice will go?
Puts a whole new spin on the words produced in Japan.
No thanks, I would not touch this years rice for love or money.
Un freaking believeable they even think about selling it, their government has plenty of money or can borrow it to feed their people.
Oh then again this crisis has tripled the price the they can get for the rice.

edit on 11-8-2011 by rbrtj because: fixed typo

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

This pic is up only as a reference point. If you turn 180 degrees from here, we have some more strange tarps covering something by the wall.

The camera was moving here so it's blurry. I just wanted you to see that there are two.

Here you see a clearer shot. Could be nothing, but we know how they like to cover stuff up.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Boah, i was nearly falling from my Futon.
Strong Quake in F'Shima, ca. Mag 6,3!

The Plant looks OK!

edit on 11-8-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2011 by Human0815 because: add info

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Another screen cap [July 25] tracing the strange discharge pumping

I'd say we're looking at a main 6 or 8 inch pipe, pumping full out, plus a couple of smaller ones. I'm sure this goes right out to the sea. Proof of enviornmental terrorism?

I remember way back in the thread these strange sacks showed up on site, and nobody knew what they were. If you look past the chief scumbag, out the window, you will get a better look at the sacks.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

This should give you an idea how close to the sea, that discharge pipe is pumping. Also I noticed the break-water wall ends here. That makes no sense. Did a section of it get destroyed by the wave, or was there never one here?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Nuclear safety: A dangerous veil of secrecy

Who can the public trust on nuclear safety - the anti-nuclear camp, the nuclear lobby or academics funded by the latter?

Nobody likes bad news Since World War II, the process of secrecy – the readiness to invoke "national security" - has been a pillar of the nuclear establishment…that establishment, acting on the false assumption that "secrets" can be hidden from the curious and knowledgeable, has successfully insisted that there are answers which cannot be given and even questions which cannot be asked.
The net effect is to stifle debate about the fundamental of nuclear policy.
Concerned citizens dare not ask certain questions, and many begin to feel that these matters which only a few initiated experts are entitled to discuss.

If the above sounds like a post-Fukushima statement, it is not. It was written by Howard Morland for the November 1979 issue of The Progressive magazine focusing on the hydrogen bomb as well as the risks of nuclear energy.
The US government - citing national security concerns - took the magazine to court in order to prevent the issue from being published, but ultimately relented during the appeals process when it became clear that the information
The Progressive wanted to publish was already public knowledge and that pursuing the ban might put the court in the position of deeming the Atomic Energy Act as counter to First Amendment rights (freedom of speech) and therefore unconstitutional in its use of prior restraint to censor the press.
But, of course, that's in the US, although a similar mechanism is at work in Japan, where a recently created task force aims to "cleanse" the media of reportage that casts an unfavourable light on the nuclear industry (they refer to this information as "inaccurate" or a result of "mischief."

["Exciting Nuclear Land" is part of the Japanese school curriculum.]

The picture and caption are also part of the article.
Source
I found the article to be a good read and hope you do to.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think maybe a re-group and re-focus is in order. We need a consolidation of important questions still not satisfactorily discussed or resolved and some measure (kind of marks out of 10) to say how important we think these outstanding issues really are.

That done, we can all pick a question that interests us and go off and search for some more information on it.

There are people doing good work on keeping us up to date with the latest news from different sites. This is always useful as it provides evidence for things which we need to verify later, such as radiation readings, water amounts and reactor statuses.

Just like a team of lawyers preparing for a case, we need the experts guys, the guys who pull it all together into relevant bundles of info, and the back-room guys collecting all types of info, never knowing what will be useful later on in proving the case.

Collection of information is always a problem as it is spread all over the place in different threads and in different posts in this thread. Dont know what we can do about that.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
I think maybe a re-group and re-focus is in order. We need a consolidation of important questions still not satisfactorily discussed or resolved and some measure (kind of marks out of 10) to say how important we think these outstanding issues really are.

That done, we can all pick a question that interests us and go off and search for some more information on it.

Good idea Q. Im off tomorrow and can catch up and help out. Ive also got a couple of unresolved issues I desperately need help with.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled

Another screen cap [July 25] tracing the strange discharge pumping

AC, I see what you mean. Very close to ocean. discharging to sea, very possible. What though. Radioactive water. Hmmmmm? Very possible. The water that can not be accounted for maybe. Or water from the UC thats filling up from being split open by the EQ and blast. Interesting.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Wow, dont think this has been posted. Check out the shaking from the EQ today at 5:30 in. This is the strongest one Ive seen yet via cams. And also check out the light above the CSFP area that goes crazy at the exact moment the EQ hits. Alarms? Emergency vehicles? Man with flash light doing "Sound of Music" in morse code....no probably not that. Something though.

www.youtube.com.../u/6/Ol9HKHmCugc

AC, how do you get the vids to show. and is there a manual on the ATS site that describes how to do these things.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Q, to start the ball rolling, a couple of areas that Im having trouble with.

Understanding thermals. Possible explanations for why the heat patterns are the way they are. Can the thermals be used to understand the manholes and identifying manholes. Can they be used to identify other things like underground piping if its fairly close to the surface and running hot. What does absolute black represent. Using thermals as diagrams to explain these things.

Making a map of Fukushima that incorporates the whole plant with identification of each building. This can be done somewhat easily if the right photos were used, and their identities translated. It should also include a secondary map that shows all recent emergency installations ie water treatment tanks, storage area for contaminated rubble etc. (PS, I found a map that shows that the bunker place that had the recent leak is the backwards L shaped building next to the EH (building with all the pipes)

Finding someone who can translate Japanese regularly. This could mean just someone who has the technology to do this, not just someone who speaks Japanese. This is actually a very big job and would need to be split up, as certain documents have never been translated and are long.

new topics

top topics

<< 1005  1006  1007    1009  1010  1011 >>

join