It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1005.htm
<< 1002  1003  1004    1006  1007  1008 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

And speaking of nagging questions, here is mine. The April 7th flash during the 7.4. In re-watching these vids, I learned the view here is from Sendai city. Earlier some folks thought it might be from Tokyo, so I not sure if that came out way back? If this is wrong please correct me. And of course I did a zoom. I know at the beginning they said it was a hydro transformer. Somehow that still doesn't seem possible. Thoughts?

As you know there were several little side flashes that were much smaller. After a few attempts I managed to get a screen grab of one of them. I remember the gang thought this was quite a few miles away, although I can't recall if any one number was settled on? Someone thought it back-lit the hills.

The little flash off to the right is the one I captured. I didn't catch a direction that the flash came from. Was that ever settled ? Was this ever put to rest ? Does anyone else think this could be from Daini ? That's not such a strech, is it? They have a basement full of hot water. The beach dropped here as well, some 6 ft. The early PDF's said Daini 1, 2, and 4 were in trouble, with #4 being the worst, and only mentioned 2 reactors in trouble at Daiichi. The PDF's also said they evacuated people for 3 KM's, and we had those charts showing Iodine release from both. What do you think? Naging questions ? Nag, Nag, Nag. I can dig out the PDF's tomorrow if you like.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I notice two things. In the 3/12 picture it looks like the right tower might have developed a slight lean to the right already. Also, on your cam dropping. In looking at the land's end between the right tower and the reactors, In the pre-quake pics the land's end seems to be flush with the top of the reactors. In the 3/12 pic it seems to be below the top of the reactors. At first I thought that the land had dropped, but because the distance from the horizon to the top of the land, seems the same, I'd agree. The cam dropped. Arrows ? Over-lays ?....More to tackle.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
watching MAJOR smoke/steam action getting worse at # 3, obscured #4 & now # 2... frequent white dot pixel flashes on cam

thanks again for your time & efforts, everyone

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

The 216 Tones of Water, like AC wrote, create a lot of Steam like we can see at the moment!

Sadly i don't have a Log, in June and July there was only every 48 Hours a periode of Steam
but not it is really nearly permanent!

Where is the Tent for Unit 1., do someone know?
This would catch a significant amount of Radiation!!!

I am bad in English but more bad i am in Mathematic

is there a way to calculate how far 200 Tons of radiated Watersteam can go?

edit on 8-8-2011 by Human0815 because: add a question

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
www.jaif.or.jp...
Tepco admits they are boiling it off ! Somebody here hit the nail right on the head a week or so, ago? Purple? ZW? As usual I can't make any sense out of their numbers. We just read that they are pumping in some 380 tons of water a day yet it says they only have 21, tons in the basement. I will preview the link to make sure it flies..
edit on 8-8-2011 by Aircooled because: Messed up the math and had to repair it.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
enenews.com...
This is fresh from ENE but they are talking about a second melt in late March. Great. When will they tell us about August?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

So they Finally Admit it!! "TEPCO starts evaporating saltwater"

TEPCO had been testing a new system which could reduce 80 tons of saltwater to about 50 tons each day, by evaporating the saltwater. The steam will be recycled back to freshwater for cooling the reactor. The system was put into actual operation on Sunday, after the testing was completed.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

So what's in all this "contaminated saltwater" steam they have been boiling off?

- Purple Chive

Originally posted by Purplechive

This Looks Peculiar!!!

Crystal clear day in Fuku and suddenly fog/low level clouds?

1:23 into this capture!! Then 1:53 in...clears out...

Is TEPCO possibly deliberately boiling off excess water? The steam seems to be emanating from the same area we see the nightly light show.

This doesn't look normal folks. Something strange is going on... Weird!!

On Edit: Slowed down clips (same time periods):

- Purple Chive

edit on 8-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Japan rice futures soar on nuclear fears

AFP
TOKYO — Japan started trading rice futures Monday but suspended the market after the price of the staple grain soared on fears that radioactive contamination from the Fukushima disaster will restrict supply. The nuclear plant, hit by the powerful ...Source

China's Nuclear Power Plans 'Unfazed' By Japan Disaster
Huffington Post
In the wake of the Fukushima meltdowns, some nations are looking to move away from nuclear power. But not China, which is proceeding with plans to build 36 reactors over the next decade. Now some experts are questioning whether China can safely operate ...Source

And so are the days of our lives...rbrtj

By the way,Great photos of the interworkings of the plant.
Anyone seen the cat lately?:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

CS 134 and 137 Ocean Soil Samples Higher off DAINI vs. Daiichi

15 km/9 miles offshore....

Uhummm.....ocean currents? Or is sh!t going on at Daini that hasn't been "revealed" yet?

Daini may not have been impacted by the Tsunami...but a hell of a lot of shaking has been going on...and pipes and joints don't fit together so well after awhile and leaks start to occur....

www.tepco.co.jp...

Uhummm???

- Purple Chive

edit on 8-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

This is WILD!!

Got from Enenews! Looks like it's a Japanese version of the "Today Show"...

enenews.com...

Whew!! Wonder if they rim Margaritas with plutonium now instead of salt at the bars?

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Nothing spectacular out there for pics today. From Aug 7th. Tanks that don't work.
On the on going possible problems at Dani. Another point that jumped out at me from the early PDF's on Daini, was tepco mentioning that one reactor's there was "Losing preasure" How many times did we hear that about Daiichi ? So Purple, your PDF on higher readings off the shore from Daini doesn't surprise me. I'm sure that area was evacuated under the pretext of Daiichi radiation anyway.
A big tip of the hat, man for figuring out their boiling scheme. That was a stroke of genius.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Just a though which sprang to mind after reading a link which I will post in a minute.

What happens if this is NOT the big problem we think it is. What happens if there is a even BIGGER problem just around the corner which will dwarf this one into insignificance?

The official view NASA on this one is that it could be really big and maybe in their own way, they are warning us to take heed and to start planning for a world largely without electricity. I always remember a program on the BBC which was one of those "what if" kind of programs foretelling the disaster before it happens. It was all started by a gas pipe or oil pipe explosion in Russia which started off an elecricity shutdown. I cannot remember how it worked out, but everything depends on electricity from pumps which pump water to pumps which pump gas, oil, even our central heating. Basically no electric, no water, gas, oil, lighting, no computers no anything.

I hope this is not off-topic as it does cause this disaster to pale into insignificance if ALL the nuclear power stations start to go pop all at once and this is just a practice run...

Anyway, here is the article.
Severe Solar Storms Could Disrupt Earth This Decade: NOAA

This is a special problem in the United States and especially a severe threat in the eastern United States as Federal Government studies revealed that this extreme solar activity and emissions may result in complete blackouts for years in several areas of the nation. Moreover, there may also be disruption of power supply for years, or even decades, as geomagnetic currents attracted by the storm could debilitate the transformers.

Last month, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said U.S. plants affected by a blackout should be able to cope without electricity for atleast eight hours and should have procedures to keep the reactor and spent-fuel pool cool for 72 hours.

Nuclear plants depend on standby batteries and backup diesel generators. Most standby power systems would continue to function after a severe solar storm, but supplying the standby power systems with adequate fuel, when the main power grids are offline for years, could become a very critical problem.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
What happened at Fukushima (08 Aug 11)

The authors have spoken to several workers at the plant. Each recites the same story: Serious damage to piping and at least one of the reactors before the tsunami hit. All have requested anonymity because they are still working at or connected with the stricken plant. Worker A, a 27-year-old maintenance engineer who was at the Fukushima complex on March 11, recalls hissing, leaking pipes.

“I personally saw pipes that had come apart and I assume that there were many more that had been broken throughout the plant. There’s no doubt that the earthquake did a lot of damage inside the plant. There were definitely leaking pipes, but we don’t know which pipes – that has to be investigated. I also saw that part of the wall of the turbine building for reactor one had come away. That crack might have affected the reactor.”

The walls of the reactor are quite fragile, he notes.

“If the walls are too rigid, they can crack under the slightest pressure from inside so they have to be breakable because if the pressure is kept inside and there is a buildup of pressure, it can damage the equipment inside the walls. So it needs to be allowed to escape. It’s designed to give during a crisis, if not it could be worse – that might be shocking to others, but to us it’s common sense.”

WORKER B, a technician in his late thirties who was also on site at the time of the earthquake recalls what happened.
“It felt like the earthquake hit in two waves, the first impact was so intense you could see the building shaping, the pipes buckling, and within minutes, I saw pipes bursting. Some fell off the wall. Others snapped. I’m pretty sure that some of the oxygen tanks stored on site had exploded but I didn’t see for myself. Someone yelled that we all needed to evacuate. I was severely alarmed because as I was leaving I was told, and I could see, that several pipes had cracked open, including what I believe were cold water supply pipes. That would mean that coolant couldn’t get to the reactor core. If you can’t get sufficient coolant to the core, it melts down. You don’t have to be a nuclear scientist to figure that out.”

As he was heading to his car, he could see that the walls of the reactor one building itself had already started to collapse. “There were holes in them. In the first few minutes, no one was thinking about a tsunami. We were thinking about survival.”

Worker C was coming into work late when the earthquake hit. “I was in a building nearby when the earthquake shook. After the second shockwave hit, I heard a loud explosion. I looked out the window and I could see white smoke coming from reactor one. I thought to myself, ‘this is the end.’”
When the worker got to the office five to fifteen minutes later the supervisor immediately ordered everyone to evacuate, explaining, “there’s been an explosion of some gas tanks in reactor one, probably the oxygen tanks. In addition to this there has been some structural damage, pipes have burst, meltdown is possible. Please take shelter immediately.” (It should be noted that several explosions occurred at Daiichi even after the March 11th earthquake, one of which TEPCO stated, “was probably due to a gas tank left behind in the debris”.)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
According to TEPCOs measurements I can see slightly elevated values at Daini but nothing really out of limit for such a plant. The current measurements (08th August) can be seen here (2 page pdf file): Status Daini

And if you look at the URL you can change the filename from f2-mp-2011080809-e.pdf to whatever date you want to see. Just change the date part leaving the f2-mp-2011mmdd09-e.pdf intact.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Unit 3 MOX likely melted through

MOX fuel that was believed to have been kept cool at the bottom of one of the reactors at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant after its core melted is believed to have breached the vessel after melting again, a study said Monday. The study by Fumiya Tanabe, an expert in nuclear safety, said most of reactor 3's mixed uranium-plutonium oxide fuel may have dribbled into the containment vessel underneath, and if so, the current method being used to cool the reactor will have to be rethought. This could force Tokyo Electric Power Co. to revise its schedule for containing the five-month-old disaster.
Source

Japan ignored own radiation forecasts

Japan's system to forecast radiation threats was working from the moment its nuclear crisis began. As officials planned a venting operation certain to release radioactivity into the air, the system predicted Karino Elementary School would be directly in the path of the plume emerging from the tsunami-hit Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant. But the prediction helped no one. Nobody acted on it. The school, just over six miles (10 kilometers) from the plant, was not immediately cleared out. Quite the opposite. It was turned into a temporary evacuation center. Reports from the forecast system were sent to Japan's nuclear safety agency, but the flow of data stopped there. Prime Minister Naoto Kan and others involved in declaring evacuation areas never saw the reports, and neither did local authorities. So thousands of people stayed for days in areas that the system had identified as high-risk, an Associated Press investigation has found.

It's unclear how much radiation people might have been exposed to by staying in areas in the path of the radioactive plume, let alone whether any might suffer health problems from the exposure. It could be difficult to ever prove a connection: Health officials say they have no plans to prioritize radiation tests of those who were at the school.
Source

Protesters rally in Fukushima against nuclear power

An estimated 1,700 people rallied in the capital of Japan's Fukushima region, home to a crippled atomic power plant on Sunday calling for an end to nuclear energy, local media reported. "Abolish all the nuclear power plants!" and "Give radiation-free Fukushima back to us," the demonstrators chanted as they marched in Fukushima City, some 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the nuclear plant. The rally, joined by residents evacuated from areas outside the Fukushima Daiichi plant, was organised by the Japan Congress Against Atomic and Hydrogen Bombs as part of its longtime campaign against nuclear weapons.
Source

Japan’s Fukushima catastrophe brings big radiation spikes to B.C.

After Japan’s Fukushima catastrophe, Canadian government officials reassured jittery Canadians that the radioactive plume billowing from the destroyed nuclear reactors posed zero health risks in this country. In fact, there was reason to worry. Health Canada detected massive amounts of radioactive material from Fukushima in Canadian air in March and April at monitoring stations across the country. The level of radioactive iodine spiked above the federal maximum allowed limit in the air at four of the five sites where Health Canada monitors levels of specific radioisotopes. On March 18, seven days after an earthquake and tsunami triggered eventual nuclear meltdowns at the Fukushima Daiichi plant in Japan, the first radioactive material wafted over the Victoria suburb of Sidney on Vancouver Island. For 22 days, a Health Canada monitoring station in Sidney detected iodine-131 levels in the air that were 61 percent above the government’s allowable limit. In Resolute Bay, Nunavut, the levels were 3.5 times the limit.
Source

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I found a bit of news. I haven't heard anything on Ft Calhoon or Cooper in a while either. According to this they are still fludded. I thought it had receded a few feet. Anybody heard anything ?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I also came across this very good documentary.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
Congratulations ATS! You've reached 1000 pages - keep it up. The bad news though; it's still the worst industrial accident in the history of mankind.
(...)
Effectively we're sailing blind, just like deepwater.

Greetings:

Thank you for what you do and for your time, consideration and participation.

Speaking of sailing blind, please consider this:

22 June 2011
Newspaper Reports Massive Fukushima Nuclear Radiation Testing Blackout In Canada

Following recent reports of radiation saturation doubling, private companies, government agencies and universities in Canada are refusing to get involved in Fukushima nuclear radiation fallout testing at any level.

The Canadian newspaper The Beacon is reporting that following recent media reports that radiation saturation has doubled local farms attempted to get their soil tested for nuclear fallout to be sure that the food that they are selling is safe.

Much to the surprise of the newspaper and the farmers private testing companies, government agencies and universities all refuse to test the soil or get involved on any level.

The newspaper points out that the refusal is particularly shocking following reports that [color=limegreen]Japan has admitted to covering up the amount of radiation released from the Fukushima nuclear power plant, now admitting to 100% nuclear meltdown in 3 nuclear reactors and a radiation release comparable to Chernobyl levels.

The Beacon says [color=limegreen]while no government radiation tests have been conducted, the Canadian health department insists that everything is fine and is there is no cause for concern.

Why does this sound familiar?

Health Canada Says, "No Worries."
Farmers in Central Newfoundland who were open to having their land tested for radiation contamination, will not have this work done by government agencies and private companies in Newfoundland and Labrador.
(...)
In the June 2 edition of The Beacon, it was discussed how the release of radiation from the Fukushima plant in Japan could potentially be poisoning Canadian soil, and possibly central Newfoundland. [color=limegreen]Evidence from various radiation monitors and news reports have shown that it has become a worldwide issue, and given that the airspace is shared, Canada and the U.S. have been directly affected as well.

Even though local farmers have not tested their soil and water, Nita Abbott of LA Farms, near Gambo, expressed an interest in having her land tested to ensure they’re selling a safe product.

The newspaper contacted private testing companies, government agencies, and universities to inquire if they would consider testing local farms. [color=limegreen]All of them said they were not interested in getting involved at any level.

Health Canada also reported that everything is normal.

Even though no official testing has been done in central Newfoundland, Ms. Abbott speculated, “I guess they feel they don’t have evidence to take it further.”

Worldwide concern

Even though central Newfoundland is considered safe, reports by numerous media establishments have shown that radiation saturation has doubled recently. According to a CNN report, Arnie Gundersen, Chief Nuclear Engineer, said hot particles are showing up in North America.
(...)
Nuclear engineers have also been finding hot particles or fuel fleas, which can cause cancer, around the world.

In Tokyo in April, measurements indicated that there are about 10 hot particles a day, which is a high level of concern in what a normal person would breathe.

In Seattle, for instance, it went down to about five hot particles a day, which can lodge into lung tissue, the digestive tract or bone, and over time can cause cancer.
(...)
Media reports south of the border suggest that Japan was downplaying the severity long after people were being affected.

To this, Health Canada is insisting there is [color=limegreen]no cause for concern.

In Seattle, for instance, it went down to about five hot particles a day, which can lodge into lung tissue, the digestive tract or bone, and over time can cause cancer.

This cannot bode well for living creatures on Planet Earth, including the Pacific Northwest and Canada. We used to live near 15th & Pike in downtown Seattle, and the very thought of dying the slow death of radiation poisoning in such a beautiful city is reprehensible... well, actually, any place on Earth.

Hot particles have made their way across the Pacific, and at least the data for the Pacific NW indicates very high concentrations, the average person in Tokyo breathed about 10 hot particles a day, and the average person in Seattle breathed in 6.
source

Hot particles present significant health hazard when ingested or entered the body by other means.

They are several orders of magnitude more dangerous than the same amount of radiation emitted from a large source over the whole body because if ingested or inhaled, they do damage to cells at close proximity.
Wiki

WTF?

Does this imply that everyone in the affected area is already radiated "beyond repair?"

For infants it’s a terrible valley of death we have created for them. As we shall see for years all of them have been born with already polluted bloodstreams and [color=limegreen]now the very young ones are dying in greater numbers on the west coast of the United States since Fukushima blew up.

After the first week, officials had enough information to call for evacuation of a wide area in Japan and also Hawaii, Alaska and the entire West Coast of North America. They really should have evacuated all of northern Japan and also the West Coast but that was almost as impossible as evacuating the entire planet or the entire Northern Hemisphere.

Evacuation of Planet Earth might be the best way for humanity to avoid the terrible nuclear, heavy metal and chemical toxicity we are now facing all at the same time.

Avoiding exposure is always the best plan but [color=limegreen]there is no way to avoid breathing in air contaminated with tiny hot particles.

Inhalation issues are much more frightening than ingestion issues because you can pick and choose what you eat and drink but you can’t buy bottled air.

Nuclear Toxicity Syndrome is about how to survive in nuclear and chemical hell.

But one cannot do what is necessary to survive hell if a person doesn’t know they are living in one.

We feel that perhaps the time is now for concerned citizens to demand accountability from their respective governments.

Obviously, Health Canada and the US/EPA do not have the best interests of their citizens at heart. Is it the same in other countries? In your country?

The question is why?

Are not these agencies made up of caring, feeling, breathing individuals who share the same fate as we, the people?

Or, have they been deceived into believing that they will be a part of the "saved" ones and the radiation will not deform or kill them, their children, their children's children, etc?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.

22 June 2011
CNN: "They lied to us:" Fukushima Radiation Release Comparable To Chernobyl,
100% Meltdown In 3 Reactors

Michio Kaku: In the last two weeks, everything we knew about that accident has been turned upside down.

We were told three partial melt downs, [color=limegreen]"... don’t worry about it."

Now we know it was 100 percent core melt in all three reactors.

[color=limegreen]"Radiation minimal that was released."

Now we know it was comparable to radiation at Chernobyl.

And as far as evacuation, (we were told), 12 miles and that is it. [color=limegreen]You don’t have to evacuate more than 12 miles.

Now they find hotspots, 4 hot spots, outside the evacuation zone. 34,000 school children now have radiation badges when they go to school...

Finally, some coverage in the MSM... such as it is, but a lot of peeps watch CNN.

The real question here is what will it take for the peeps to finally "get it" and do something?

Fukushima ‘still a ticking time bomb’
(...)
CNN: As a reported within hours of the earthquake and Tsunami, with hours not even a day, there were already statements from the company (TEPCO) and International Atomic Energy Association (IAEA) saying there had been safe shut down of all reactors and we know now of course in the end that simply wasn’t true.

[color=limegreen]But from the very beginning they were trying to tell us that this was a safe situation.

Kaku: Within hours of the accident we now know it was like the Keystone Cops.

People that are clueless, headless, just running around crazy, not knowing what to do.

We can now reconstruct that accident minute by minute, hour by hour and we can see this chaos that erupted in the leadership ability.

CNN: What is happening to the people that are working there now?

Kaku: Well, as you know, workers are getting sent in and they are getting a year's worth of radiation within just 10 minutes at a time.

At Chernobyl, 600,000 workers had to be mobilized. Each one going in for just a few minutes and each one getting a medal from Gorbachev.

CNN: This will be a Hundred Year Cleanup?

How long with this take to cleanup in your view?

Kaku: 50 to 100 years.

CNN: And we are not there yet.

[color=limegreen]We are not even to the point of talking about the cleanup yet because they haven’t stopped the reaction.

It is still happening.

Kaku: Clean up hasn’t even started yet.

They are not even looking at getting to cold shutdown until next year.

Cold shutdown is when boiling stops. There is boiling water right there at the reactor releasing radiation into the environment and releasing radiation into gigantic vats.

CNN: How are they storing and disposing of this stuff?

Kaku: That is the killer (pun intended?) because we have all of these vats that are filling up now and [color=limegreen]they may have to dump it into the ocean again.

At that point the Chinese, the Koreans, the fisherman they get up all in arms because there is so much damage (to the reactor cores) that every time you put water (into the reactors to cool the fuel rods that are melting down) it just leaks right out again, highly radioactive, and it is filling up at the site right now.

CNN: So what do they do with it?

Kaku: Right now, they are just counting the gallons as they pile up desperately trying to bring more vats in but [color=limegreen]once they saturate they are going to have to dump and at that point it is another crisis.

Tepcospeak !

If one is truly interested in this particular part of this disaster, we have written about the thousands of tons and millions gallons of water being injected/sprayed/dropped - and thousands of tons and millions of gallons lost (?) misplaced (?) leaked out ?) - take your pick or add one of your own theories, as the numbers simply do not add up.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

CNN: Lets talk about the radiation in the environment, in the atmosphere.

We have been told that it would be [color=limegreen]measurable but a miniscule amount on the US West Coast
and around the world?

Is that true?

Kaku: It is still minimal around the world (based on what we are being told from government reported radiation readings). Most of the damage is concentrated within 20 to 50 miles of the reactor. That is where we have the hotspots, that is where we have 20 times normal amounts of (annual adult) radiation (limits) in school yards outside of the evacuation zone.

Kaku: But in New York City, (based off government released radiation measurements) you can actually see it in the milk. You can actually see it has iodine, 131, actually spiked a little bit in our milk in New York City, but it is very small.

CNN: Just even hearing that, though, even hearing that you can detect it, that there’s a catastrophe, the worst industrial catastrophe in history, we can see it in milk in New York, that’s frightening.

Kaku: That’s right. This could be the grand daddy of all industrial accidents topping Chernobyl at $200 billion, topping the Gulf Oil Spill at $15 billion, topping the Columbia and Challenger disasters out in space at about $10 billion.

[color=limegreen]This could be the world record holder for an industrial accident.

Kaku: Realize Chernobyl was one core’s worth radiation causing a $200 billion accident and it is still on going.

Here we have 20 cores worth of radiation.

Three totally melted, one damaged and the (rest in) spent fuel pools, 20 cores worth of highly radioactive materials.

Leave us not be too hasty with accolades, and leave us not be fooled; it is not as if CNN or any other corporate media outlet is doing any real journalism here... where are Anderson Cooper or Gupta now?

In Africa - where it is comparatively safe. Gupta was in Japan early on and skedaddled when he figured out the real deal... just saying.

Throughout this disaster, all the media has done is echo statements from US (EPA/FDA), JAPGOV officials and TEPCO, neglecting to do any real investigative journalism and reporting stories that were so blatantly false and non-nonsensical because it was the "official story coming from the Government."

The MSM has lied to we, the people, and will continue to do so.

Now, one might ask, what are we, the people, going to do about it?

For those of us who think we are somewhat alone in our feelings on this nuclear insanity issue that has the future of humanity (as we now experience it) at stake, we offer this assessment from a poster on CNN.com Blogs.

GoneToPlaid

"Ticking time bomb" is correct.

If the melted cores do fully breach their containment vessels by literally burning their way through the bottoms of the containment vessels, then you can instantly have a situation where tons of molten core material hits the huge volume of water pooled in the bottoms of the reactor buildings.

The resulting explosion would obliterate what is left of the buildings and blow off the tops of the primary containment. It may be only a matter of time before this actually happens, and this is the reason why Kaku recommends the Chernobyl option of burying the cores with tons of boron, sand and concrete.

No, the reactors did not shut down immediately after the control rods were inserted. Inserting the control rods merely begins the weeks long process of eventually achieving cold shutdown. You need to do some research about nuclear reactors.

It is factually correct that the nuclear reactions have NOT been stopped. This is why far more radiation than was "expected" is showing up in the water filtration system which keeps breaking down.

In fact, it may be impossible to completely stop the nuclear reactions now that the cores have fully melted down into giant masses of molten slag since it is now impossible to moderate the nuclear reactions occurring at the center of the giant masses of molten core material.

And here is another view:

Swarming Bee Theory

I give Mr. Kaku a lot of credit for making a continued effort to speak openly about the situation in Fukushima.

What does it take to see, really. What does it take?

I cannot believe there are people on here who expect to be taken as representing a real viewpoint and are still, in the face of THREE core meltdowns, containment pools blown into the upper atmosphere, etc, persisting with the fallacy that because no one DIED this month everything will be ok.

It is nothing short of insanity to persist with this debate over the merits of nuclear fission used in applications like this.

Nuclear fission as practiced today is an antiquated technology, dangerous beyond measure, as in LITERALLY beyond measure. Some of the components of radioactive waste have a half life of 200,000 years, some 700,000 years, some more that that. Far longer than any administration in the history of our good country, that's how long.

It is remarkable to me that the rabid right wing tea partiers etc are always whining about the country swinging left.
The truth is it is money and power.

If we turn our attanetion of it; smoodfedswskjjwejjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjl wjk

A pound of plutonium could kill every human being on the planet.

And yet we continue to allow ourselves to be drawn into arguments with self-serving profiteers, people and corporations with no fealty to the US or to life in general, but rather to profit at any cost.

This highly organized miliitant faction of the US government in concert with the multi national energy cartel is working hard to have us believe this is actually a rational and reasonable alternative to aggressively reducing our current demand (like in Las Vegas counties for ex) combined with a solid commitment to alternative energy development.

It's nuts.

There really is no good reason to continue.

All plants should be immediately shut down and decommissioned.

The nuke plants shouid be scrapped.

Immediately.

How about it, "Nuke Team ATS?"

Obviously, TEPCO hasn't stopped the reaction(s), as continuously rising levels of I-131 indicate that there are uncontrolled nuclear reactions going in the melted cores and/or elsewhere.

Which may lead one to this question:

Considering that the boron additive utilized to moderate the fission process has a lifespan directly corresponding to the proximity to the radioactive material and the amount of materials being released, where are we on that timetable?

Specifically, has the boron reached the end of its lifespan and does the remaining "dead boron" accumulate and further hinder additional boron injections?

And an interesting comment from this poster regarding censorship on another forum:

Fukushima 'still a ticking time bomb' – In the Arena - CNN.com Blogs
majia nadesan

Hi Michael I'm glad you responded to my comment because it provides proof my comment was posted before being taken down by some sort of censor.

I'm reposting. Let us see how long it is up this time.

First of all, it is not at all clear that workers at Fukushima have not died. Read the article: Contract workers registered with TEPCO have mysteriously disappeared from the contractor’s employment records. Mainichi: "Whereabouts of 30 nuclear power plant subcontractors unknown: Health Ministry"
mdn.mainichi.jp...

Good catch!

We actually thought something was up along those lines and received some interesting comments here:

Second, there is considerable evidence of ongoing fission at the Fukushima plant reactors given the ongoing production of Iodine-131, which has a 8 day half life.

See Gunderson’s Fairewinds updates www.fairewinds.com... and Washington’s blog for an essay with citations on ongoing criticality georgewashington2.blogspot.com...

Third, spent-fuel pool #4 is an ongoing cataclysmic disaster. Building #4 was damaged by #3’s explosion and the spent fuel pool in #4’s attic was reported by the NYT to be cracked.

This pool is full of rods and is leaking water and was recently found to be 2/3 empty, meaning there was a high likelihood that the fuel rods were exposed.
www3.nhk.or.jp...

Fourth, de-contamination of the radioactive water has not gone well and has had to be stopped over and over because of various problems
www3.nhk.or.jp...www3.nhk.or.jp...

Fifth, radiation releases continue to be very large
sankei.jp.msn.com...

“Estimates of the radioactive materials emitted double doors opening to the Fukushima No. 2 unit building 1.8 billion becquerels”

DISREGARD INDUSTRY TROLLS AND DEMAND TRUTH, TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY

Well said.

We can only add to that, this:

Deny Ignorance.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

OK TEPCO - then why is the Pressure of the Primary Containment Vessel in Unit 3 so low?

Study says nuclear fuel at Fukushima reactor possibly melted twice, Kyodo, August 9, 2011:

[...] “I presume that the fuel fell to the bottom of the containment vessel made of concrete and reacted violently with its cement, releasing large amounts of radioactive materials into the outside from the pressure vessel,” said [Fumiya Tanabe, an expert in nuclear safety].

TEPCO, meanwhile, casts doubt on Tanabe’s assertion, saying most of the fuel probably remains inside the reactor’s pressure vessel as temperature fluctuations were observed depending on the amount of water injected into it.

enenews.com...

Pressure of Primary Containment Vessel:

Unit 1: 130.9 kPaabs
Unit 2: 131 kPaabs
Unit 3: 101.5 kPaabs --- Standard Atmospheric Pressure is 101.3!!

www.tepco.co.jp...

There is a big hole in Unit 3's primary containment vessel!!

Duhhhhh? Where are Moe, Larry and Curly???

- Purple Chive
edit on 9-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

14,000 Fukushima children change schools in wake of quake, nuclear crisis

A survey by the Fukushima Prefectural Board of Education found that 1,081 students are due to move out of the prefecture during the current summer holiday. Fears about radiation were cited in three-quarters of these cases. After the outbreak of the crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, many students moved out of evacuation zones within a 30 kilometer radius of the plant, but there are reportedly now more children moving out of nonrestricted areas of central Fukushima Prefecture.

Education board officials said that as of July 15, 7,672 students had moved out of the prefecture in the wake of the disaster, while about 4,500 students had moved to other schools in the prefecture. A total of 755 plan to move to other schools within Fukushima Prefecture during the summer holidays, in addition to the 1,081 who are due to move outside the prefecture.

Source

Contaminated seafood and government cover-up at Fukushima

Our team of radiation experts has found high levels of radiation in seafood caught by Japanese fishermen off the coast of Japan. This, along with the news that the Japanese government covered up the true extent of radiation releases from Fukushima and so put people in danger, shows it is long past time that urgent, transparent action was taken by officials. At a press conference in Japan earlier today (video here and here), we explained how our radiation experts had visited ports in Iwaki prefecture between 22nd and 24th of July and conducted sampling of seafood with the help from local fishermen. The French laboratories ACRO and CRIIRAD analysed the radioactive contamination and detected high levels of radioactivity in a number of samples. This means that the contamination of the Fukushima coast is still very serious. Greenpeace has therefore requested the Japanese government to make the labelling of seafood products mandatory and to indicate the radiation levels and fishing area, as supermarkets are not providing enough information to their customers.

Radiation monitoring procedures should also be strengthened and food distribution regulations tightened. All this should be done as urgently as possible. Trawl fishing season is about to begin in Fukushima and Ibaraki. This is now a race against time – seafood is a huge part of the Japanese diet. Unlike for beef, laws are not in place to trace the origin of fish and seafood. Relying on the government’s inadequate monitoring does not guarantee people’s safety if contaminated seafood reaches the market. Meanwhile, it seems some government officials are more interested in saving their jobs than in the lives of the people they serve. According to the New York Times, government forecasts about the spread of airborne contamination in the initial aftermath of the Fukushima disaster…

Source

Dosimeter figures questioned / People's fears raised, calmed depending on radiation readings

Radiation dosimeters have become increasingly sought-after items, even outside Fukushima Prefecture, amid the ongoing crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, but the accuracy of the devices has been called into question. Dosimeters help people measure radiation levels in their living environment, possibly easing radiation fears. But readings may vary, depending on the devices and how they are used. As the readings are not necessarily accurate, some experts have urged people not to worry too much over the figures. Last Wednesday, Chiyo Itakura, 41, who runs an acupuncture clinic in Nagareyama, Chiba Prefecture, demonstrated a dosimeter, slightly bigger than an ordinary mobile phone, in front of her house. The government-set allowable limit for schoolchildren to engage in outdoor activities is 3.8 microsieverts per hour. The dosimeter Itakura purchased last month for about 60,000 yen beeps at radiation levels exceeding 0.3 microsievert per hour. When she measured the radiation level in front of her 3-year-old daughter's face, Ayaka, the device was silent as it showed a radiation level of 0.17 microsievert per hour. But at curbside, the Ukrainian-made device beeped as it read 0.57 microsievert per hour. "I think the Ukraine has set a [lower] limit. So I wonder if the current radiation levels are OK for children," Itakura said.
Source

top topics

<< 1002  1003  1004    1006  1007  1008 >>

join