It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News' Use of 'Fair and Balanced' Challenged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
NEW YORK (AP) - Fox News' use of the slogan "Fair and Balanced" constitutes deceptive advertising, two political advocacy groups claimed Monday in a petition filed with the Federal Trade Commission.
Liberal MoveOn.org and historically nonpartisan Common Cause assert that Fox News' reports are "deliberately and consistently distorted and twisted to promote the Republican Party of the U.S. and an extreme right-wing viewpoint."

Alleging consumer fraud, the complaint calls for the FTC to order Fox News, consistently the highest-rated cable news network, to cease and desist from using the slogan.

AP LINK

------

Funny how most of TV's news sources are slanted in the liberal direction, and as soon as a channel is ear marked as 'conservative,' the law is involved. LOL

Not only that, but now a documentary titled 'Outfoxed'
has been made about FNC's alleged "extreme right-wing viewpoint." Is this going to be the trend now? Slick-edited documentaries to mold a person's ideological view of the world? First Fahrenheit 9/11 and now this?

Are they THAT affraid of the truth? I'll rephrase for the liberals who don't see Fox as being truthful... Are they [I]THAT[/I] affraid of a different point of view?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I consider myself on the liberal side of moderate, and I'm not afraid of a different point of view, but I can see why people would challenge Fox's claims. Their coverage is not fair and balanced, it is biased. There's nothing wrong with being biased, but they shouldn't claim to be objective, and then not be. I think that's what this is about.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Maybe they should make a deal; Fox News will admit it is conservative, if CNN will admit that it is liberal...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Most news shows these days are a complete joke, and Fox News is leading the pack!

Just one question: Is Fox News still realated to the Fox network? I find it odd that the same network that created such shows as The Simpsons, Married with Children, etc. is now a Conservative network. If they are still connected, does this strike anyone as odd?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I've read in a couple reviews that this 'documentary' makes use of unaired footage to make its case...

Also, I read the review in today's Chicago Tribune. The critic slammed it as just cheap election year mud.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It is obvious that Fox New Channel is a total right wing propoganda machine. Just like most of the other networks are liberal propoganda machines. So? We need both spins on the news, because you know niether libbys nor conservatives are ever gonna give you a full straight story, just report what THEY want. Its important to have both biases available, so you can listen to both thier lies, and then examine them together, usually you find the truth somewhere inbetween.

Who cares what they claim to be? M

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Elf, you and i have had some light words recently but hey, i gotta say, good post.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
All this talk about Fair and Balanced news, and making that a trademark is getting silly.

The real need for our times is actual journalism, gumshoe journalism that doesn't quit the first time someone influential calls them and says "say this," don't say that." A journalist Bill of Rights should not be necessary, but it is necessary the way things are now structured.

Another thing for example is how can ABC 20-20 or other TV News shows do a story say on the Pharmecuetical Industry, when it sponsors a good percentage of what is on the air.

A solution is make all news shows free from commercials, or have a contractual clause that spells our a network or cable news program reports the facts, not backing down to what its sponsors complain.

These sponsors rather than censoring, could achieve something on the order the former "equal time," provisions. The people need more information, not less. Any withdrawals of sponsorship on that basis may be actionable under a point of conflicting interests.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
What a frivolous lawsuit. Consumer fraud!:shk:

What's next? Ae we gonna tell Tony the Tiger that he can't say Kellogs Frosted Flakes are grrreaat! ?

It's true - moveon.org and the rest of the looneys are running scared. But the publicity from this is goiing to backfire on them -Fox News is sure to gain more viewers who will tune in just to see what the hubbub is all about. Touche', Fox!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
We need both spins on the news, because you know niether libbys nor conservatives are ever gonna give you a full straight story, just report what THEY want. Its important to have both biases available, so you can listen to both thier lies, and then examine them together, usually you find the truth somewhere inbetween.

Who cares what they claim to be...Maybe CNN should change its slogan from "the Most trusted name in News" because that is subjective also.

The reason Fox is kicking so much ass is because for the first time in a long time, Americans are seeing a whole different spin on the news.

Right on!!! Any time a Lib has an interview and Fox News is mentioned they always critisize Fox saying it's a joke. While their CNN is using "the Most Trusted Name in News". It goes both ways. If you like watching stories that back up the Libs agenda, thats great. But im going to watch Fox News because They Report, I Decide.
See...i can think for myself. I know the left thinks we , the people, are dumb brainwashable fools but we are not. Well...some of us are idoits who believe everything they read and i guess thats who the libs are worried about but the majority of us can see through the fog and see the truth. Besides, two sides of a story are better than one. We were stuck with CNN, and CNN alone, for so long, many people are finally seeing the truth. And they are amazed

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Funny this topic should be brought up.

I think FOX has been named in an OFCOM report basically saying that it does not meet UK journalistic standards because of it's bias.

OFCOM is the communications regulator.

I'll try and find a link and add it but it's been suggested that FOX should carry a warning about it's political bias.

OK,I think this is it.

Media regulator Ofcom strongly criticised Fox News Channel in its most recent programme complaints bulletin.

24 viewers wrote in to the regulator complaining that comments made regarding the BBC by anchor John Gibson during The Big Story were "misleading�, �went far beyond reasoned criticism� and �misrepresented the truth."

www.digitalspy.co.uk...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well, let me just put in my two cents and say that lately I have stopped watching Fox News. I used to like them more then any other news organization but now I don't watch them or CNN or MSNBC. Is Fox "Fair and Balanced?" Well, not all of it is. I can tell you that. Segments like Bill O'Reilly and Neil Cavuto aren't. The Fox Report with Shepard Smith does follow the slogan "We Report. You Decide" though. I guess right now I'm tired of hearing the same thing everyday. More U.S. casualties in Iraq, Kobe Bryant (That got so annoying) and Laci Peterson trial go annoying too.-

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
None of the Broadcast channels report the truly important stories. Even PBS which does better than most, doesn't show the war crimes commited by US troops in Afghanistan (Convoy of Death), the theft of the last Presidential election (Bush Crime family), the gruesome and bloody aspects of war. Im an adult, I want the whole truth (break it to me gently). Most of America seems disinterested in the selling of the American government to the highest corporate bidder, until they lose their jobs and gas prices go to $2.00+. Most of the so called conservative right is happy as long as you throw them a social issue bone now and then. The legislation (by the pound) is written on 'K' Street by lobbyists. But until you have public financing of campaigns, the ones footing the bill (mostly rich dinosaur corporations) will be calling the shots.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
fox news is a buncha frekin nazis. lets me quote the famous *ahem* infamous bill o reilly "who is worse? ... micheal moore or al franken?" lol that is some funny stuff

slank u sure do make an awful lot of sense

[edit on 22-7-2004 by kogigaiden]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
Is Fox "Fair and Balanced?" Well, not all of it is. I can tell you that. Segments like Bill O'Reilly and Neil Cavuto aren't. The Fox Report with Shepard Smith does follow the slogan "We Report. You Decide" though...

Shows like Bill O'Reilley's and movies like Michael Moore's aren't supposed to be neutral -- those shows and movies are the audio/video version of the editorial page in the newspaper. (The same goes for any radio talk show host.) Should we ban all their shows and movies, and take out the editorial pages in newspapers, because they're not neutral?

Editorials are, by definition, someone's biased opinion -- you either believe Bill O'Reilley and watch his show and buy his T-shirt, or you don't. You either believe Michael Moore and buy his DVDs, or you don't. You show your support or your disdain with your time and your wallet (not a lawsuit).

Why should Fox News and CNN be any different? It's obvious that Fox News is conservative and CNN is liberal; I watch both and then make up my mind, personally.

Also remember that there's a difference between giving someone the facts, then telling them your opinion about them, and lying. If I say that the U.S. has 50 States, then say "That stinks!" or "That's great!", then I'm not lying to you. But if I say the U.S. has 35 States, then I'm lying to you, and it doesn't matter whether I say "That stinks!" or "That's great!" because it's based on something that's not true anyway...

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Fox News: "President Bush proposed a Constitutional Amendment banning gay marriage today, making progress in maintaining traditional family values for the U.S."

CNN: "President Bush proposed a Constitutional Amendment banning gay marriage today, making progress in continuing discrimination against same-sex couples who wish to get the same health insurance coverage that opposite-sex couples enjoy."

Did either channel lie in those statements above? No. It all depends on how you look at the facts -- and that's something you've got to decide.

Fox News and CNN are both cable TV, news stations -- one conservative, one liberal -- so doesn't that equal everything out? (Who watches the network news anymore? Not even my parents do!
)

[edit on 7/22/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Just one question: Is Fox News still realated to the Fox network? I find it odd that the same network that created such shows as The Simpsons, Married with Children, etc. is now a Conservative network. If they are still connected, does this strike anyone as odd?

Don't forget all the little teenage sex dramas they've run since the 90's. But no, it's not that odd. It's just greed. They see a niche and fill it. It's all entertainment whether it's jiggle TV or jiggle "news".

What is just wrong, wrong, wrong though is when someone like Bill O'Reilly chooses to overlook all the "immoral" shows on Fox he could trash and picks NBC's Friends as his poster child for what's wrong with America. As I recall he caught HELL for that from conservative viewers already outraged about the FOX ENT lineup, and dropped that tact like a hot potato.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I believe Fox is changing and leaning more right. I watch them as I seem to enjoy the on-air personalities far more than those of CNN or MSNBC. I have noticed recently their Morning show is getting way out of hand. Yesterday they "attacked" Mario Cuomo for trying to basically give a speach instead of answering their questions. Okay he was wrong but their violent attacking of him was out of line. In the past I would say most of the on air folks stuck to the middle, running the story, informing and then letting us decide. OReilly/Cavuto are not reporters they are commentators and express their opinions above everyone else. Now those who are to be reporting the news are letting their personal opinions get in the way. Also it seems that none of them support anything but a conservative agenda, it is very obvious if you just watch the Fox & Friends show one morning you will have not doubt how these folks will vote in November. I would rather not know myself.

top topics

join