It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Warning to my Western Coast Friends...Get away from the coast NOW!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by larrydavid

Do not feed the trolls.

They will die from hunger.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Abney
Taiwan is getting hit with smaller waves than expected.

That's good news that the Tsunamis might not be as powerful.

No, I would not go by that at all. In relation to the epicenter, those waves had to travel parallel to the Japan coast, absorbing a lot of their energy, and shielding Taiwan somewhat from their full destructive power. The west coast of the USA however lies in a clear path across the ocean. And I can see that the northern California coastline is at the most severe risk, along with Oregon and last, Washington- although northwest coast of Washington will get it too. I don't know big the waves are going to be on the west coast of the USA, but who in their right mind is going to stick around to find out?

There will no doubt be an idiot who decides to try and get a video of it up to youtube, and that will not be too smart a move.

The good news is people have time to prepare. If they can be woken up in time that is.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

THIS MESSAGE KEEPS THE ADVISORY AND WARNING AREAS THE SAME AND ADDS MORE TSUNAMI OBSERVATIONS.

The Tsunami Warning continues in effect for the coastal areas of California and Oregon from Point Concepcion, California to the Oregon-Washington border.

The Tsunami Warning continues in effect for the coastal areas of Alaska from Amchitka Pass, Alaska (125 miles W of Adak) to Attu, Alaska.

The Tsunami Advisory continues in effect for the coastal areas of California from the California-Mexico border to Point Concepcion, California.

The Tsunami Advisory continues in effect for the coastal areas of Washington, British Columbia and Alaska from the Oregon-Washington border to Amchitka Pass, Alaska (125 miles W of Adak).

A Tsunami Warning means that all coastal residents in the warning area who are near the beach or in low-lying regions should move immediately inland to higher ground and away from all harbors and inlets including those sheltered directly from the sea. Those feeling the earth shake, seeing unusual wave action, or the water level rising or receding may have only a few minutes before the tsunami arrival and should move immediately. Homes and small buildings are not designed to withstand tsunami impacts. Do not stay in these structures.

All residents within the warned area should be alert for instructions broadcast from their local civil authorities. A tsunami has been recorded.

A Tsunami Advisory means that a tsunami capable of producing strong currents or waves dangerous to persons in or very near the water is expected. Significant, widespread inundation is not expected for areas under an advisory. Currents may be hazardous to swimmers, boats, and coastal structures and may continue for several hours after the initial wave arrival.

At 9:46 PM Pacific Standard Time on March 10, an earthquake with preliminary magnitude 8.9 occurred near the east coast of Honshu, Japan . (Refer to the United States Geological Survey for official earthquake parameters.) This earthquake has generated a tsunami which could cause damage to coastal regions in a warning or advisory. The waves are expected to first reach Shemya, Alaska at 12:13 AM AKST on March 11. Estimated tsunami arrival times and maps along with safety rules and other information can be found on the WCATWC web site.

Measurements or reports of tsunami activity:

Location Lat. Lon. Time Amplitude ------------------------ ----- ------ ------- -----------
Tosashimizu Japan 32.8N 132.9E 0747UTC 00.9FT/00.27M
Tokai Japan 33.8N 137.6E 0645UTC 00.8FT/00.25M
Ofunato Japan 39.0N 141.8E 0605UTC 10.8FT/03.29M
Hanasaki Japan 43.3N 145.6E 0643UTC 09.3FT/02.82M
Boso Japan 34.8N 140.8E 0609UTC 02.6FT/00.78M
Minamitorishima Japan 24.3N 154.0E 0747UTC 01.5FT/00.45M
Naha Japan 26.2N 127.7E 0902UTC 00.7FT/00.20M

Time - Time of measurement.
Amp. - Tsunami amplitudes are measured relative to normal sea level. It is NOT crest-to-trough wave height. Values are given in both meters (M) and feet (FT).

TSUNAMI AMPLITUDES ARE EXPECTED TO PEAK TWO TO THREE HOURS AFTER INITIAL ARRIVAL ALONG THE NORTH AMERICAN COAST.
Tsunamis can be dangerous waves that are not survivable. Wave heights are amplified by irregular shoreline and are difficult to forecast. Tsunamis often appear as a strong surge and may be preceded by a receding water level. Mariners in water deeper than 600 feet should not be affected by a tsunami. Wave heights will increase rapidly as water shallows. Tsunamis are a series of ocean waves which can be dangerous for several hours after the initial wave arrival. DO NOT return to evacuated areas until an all clear is given by local civil authorities.

Pacific coastal regions outside California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska should refer to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center messages for information on the event.

This message will be updated in 60 minutes or sooner if the situation warrants. The tsunami message will remain in effect until further notice. For further information stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio, your local TV or radio stations, or see the WCATWC web site.

Link to Standard Warning Message
Link to Public Warning Message
Link to XML/CAP Message
Link to Printable Message

LINK

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
hawaii was hit by a 4.5 quake and could possibly disrupt the wave.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by berkeleygal

Also, I just heard that ocean bouys are showing one meter rise, which is apparantly very significant of a large wave.

I'm seeing rises of at least 1 metre (maybe up to 1.5 metres) on a lot of buoys south and east of Japan. That's certainly significant, especially out in the ocean like that, where tsunamis are much shallower than they become when they reach land.
The tsunamis was less than expected in Taiwan, but that's hardly anything to go by (as TrueAmerican said above me), because of the fact that there is a lot of interference along the way. There is nothing in the way of the tsunami between Japan and Hawaii/the west coast.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I want to highlight this statement:

TSUNAMI AMPLITUDES ARE EXPECTED TO PEAK TWO TO THREE HOURS AFTER INITIAL ARRIVAL ALONG THE NORTH AMERICAN COAST.
Tsunamis can be dangerous waves that are not survivable. Wave heights are amplified by irregular shoreline and are difficult to forecast. Tsunamis often appear as a strong surge and may be preceded by a receding water level. Mariners in water deeper than 600 feet should not be affected by a tsunami. Wave heights will increase rapidly as water shallows. Tsunamis are a series of ocean waves which can be dangerous for several hours after the initial wave arrival. DO NOT return to evacuated areas until an all clear is given by local civil authorities.

Please take note.

I am not a fear mongerer and this is real.

True American is correct. Keep in mind that the only way Geologists were able to pin down when our own last mega thrust quake was, was based on records kept by the Japanese due to the large destructive tsunami that hit them!!!!!

Now, also keep in mind that this quake is the LARGEST RECORDED QUAKE to hit japan!! We have NO idea how destructive these WAVES (there will be more than one) will be,

PLEASE..stay vigilant. Also remember, the Prime Minister issued a warning that there may be larger quakes. Each of these is capable of producing more waves.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Good job Westcoast, you're a busy woman tonight. I'm wondering if the Tsunami damage could be similar to what struck Japan from the Cascadia quake that was talked about in one of your threads? en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-3-2011 by Silverado292 because: Why ask why?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

omg, is this in response to the Japan quake and tsunami you think?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Updated article:

Tsunami Advisory For Washington Coast

SEATTLE-- The National Weather Service has issued a Tsunami Advisory for the coastal areas of Washington after a magnitude 8.9 earthquake struck Japan.

Waves of a half to one foot are expected to hit the Washington coast around 7 a.m. Friday.

A Tsunami Advisory means that a tsunami capable of producing strong currents or waves dangerous to persons in or very near the water is expected. Significant widespread inundation is not expected for areas under an advisory. Currents may be hazardous to swimmers, boats, and coastal structures and may continue for several hours after the initial wave arrival.

Oregon, California and Alaska are under a Tsunami Warning.

A Tsunami Warning means that a tsunami with significant widespread inundation is imminent or expected. Warnings indicate that widespread dangerous coastal flooding accompanied by powerful currents is possible and may continue for several hours after the initial wave arrival.

Early predictions from a seismologist with the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network indicate a wave of less than three feet could hit the Oregon coast.

Tsunami sirens are sounding in Hawaii right now.

The estimated earliest arrival of the first tsunami wave for Hawaii is 2:59 a.m. HST Friday.

KIRO 7 Eyewitness News has multiple crews dedicated to this breaking story. Watch live coverage from 4:30 to 7 a.m.

LINK

So now we just need to keep a careful watch and make sure it doesn't increase to a warning, and get bigger.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
looking at the MAP you linked in the OP... the Washington state area has a lot
of yellow markers on its coast...
if i recall correctly... in the neolithic times there was a tremendous tsunami that hit
there and demolished forests to somethhing like 30 miles inland,
should we prepare for a repeat ?

9 hours time delay could see a lot of evacuation..if they got mobilized

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverado292

Good job Westcoast, you're a busy woman tonight. I'm wondering if the Tsunami damage could be similar to what struck Japan from the Cascadia quake that was talked about in one of your threads? en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-3-2011 by Silverado292 because: Why ask why?

YES!!! Thank you for finding that, it was my next task.

From your link:

The 1700 Cascadia earthquake was a magnitude 8.7 to 9.2 megathrust earthquake that occurred in the Cascadia subduction zone in 1700.[

The earthquake caused a tsunami that struck the coast of Japan,[2] and may also be linked to the Bonneville slide

The evidence suggests that it took place at about 9 p.m. on January 26, 1700 (NS). Although there were no written records in the region at the time, the earthquake's precise time is nevertheless known from Japanese records of a tsunami that has not been tied to any other Pacific Rim earthquake.

The geological record reveals that "great earthquakes" (those with moment magnitude 8 or higher) occur in the Cascadia subduction zone about every 500 years on average, often accompanied by tsunamis.

As the subduction zone ruptured in a magnitude 9 earthquake, it generated a strong tsunami. The shaking lasted for four minutes or more, triggering landslides. Then the tsunami would have hit land, destroying coast structures and vegetation. This was probably the strongest earthquake to strike the Contiguous United States in recorded history.[citation needed]

As seen in the 1700 quake and the 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake, subduction zone earthquakes can cause large tsunamis, and many coastal areas in the region have prepared tsunami evacuation plans in anticipation of a possible future Cascadia earthquake. However, the major nearby cities, notably Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Victoria, and Tacoma, which are located on inland waterways rather than on the coast, would be sheltered from the full brunt of a tsunami. These cities do have many vulnerable structures, especially bridges and unreinforced brick buildings; consequently, most of the damage to the cities would probably be from the earthquake itself. One expert asserts that buildings in Seattle are vastly inadequate even to withstand an earthquake of the size of San Francisco 1906, much less the much greater one that may well occur

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
looking at the MAP you linked in the OP... the Washington state area has a lot
of yellow markers on its coast...
if i recall correctly... in the neolithic times there was a tremendous tsunami that hit
there and demolished forests to somethhing like 30 miles inland,
should we prepare for a repeat ?

9 hours time delay could see a lot of evacuation..if they got mobilized

This is my concern.

The only historical marker we have for this is the tsunami that struck Japan in 1700. Based on what I am reading, the suspected quake that caused that was around the same size.

No, I will not be sleeping tonight!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Thank you OP! I have gotten more information from your thread than from my local area news. I am farther inland than the affected areas, but I know people who are right on the coast, and my best friend actually has a legitimate excuse for not calling me tonight. Best wishes to all in the affected areas.
edit on 11-3-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
No sleep for me either... glued to TV

Will hit Hawaii in about 3 hours.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

This is so crazy. We should have a better idea on how big it is when it passes Hawaii.

I am just looking at the map and we are in a direct path.

Only 6 other recorded quakes more powerful than this qauke.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Updated info with suspected wave heights for washington coast

Moclips: 3.3 feet Long Beach: 1.3 feet Westport: 1.3 feet Neah Bay: 1.1 feet Bellingham: 0.9 feet Port Angeles: 0.8 feet

3.3 feet along with a high tide can definately cause coastal flooding

Wave heights for Oregon

:

Clatsop Spit: 4.5 feet Cannon Beach: 3.7 feet Oceanside: 3.3 feet

LINK
Please, everyone stay safe.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

It is really crazy! These images coming in from Japan are horrific!

No wonder those of us who are "sensitive" have been so sick!

I said earlier. I had been offline and not watching TV when this started. I about pooped myself when I got online and of course, the first place I always go is USGS.

I am at 130 feet here and about a half mile from the Berkeley Marina which is directly across from the Golden Gate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join