It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh no, Yellowstone May have been awakened by the 8.8

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Second Non-Coastal US EQ since Japan 8.8

MAP 2.9 2011/03/14 20:24:52 41.775 -108.726 1.9 WYOMING

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

1st Non-Coastal US EQ:

Using the Quake 3-D proram I noticed that there had been a 3.8 EQ in TX approx 12 hours ago. That is the first quake I've seen since downloading the program that is East of California Coast, with the exclusion of 1one 2.8 at NMSZ that I posted previously on 3/12/11.

Magnitude 3.8
Date-Time Sunday, March 13, 2011 at 20:16:21 UTC
Sunday, March 13, 2011 at 03:16:21 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 32.954°N, 100.810°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region WESTERN TEXAS
Distances 27 km (16 miles) NNE of Snyder, Texas
65 km (40 miles) NW of Sweetwater, Texas
120 km (74 miles) SE of Lubbock, Texas
416 km (258 miles) NW of AUSTIN, Texas

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 9.3 km (5.8 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 12, Nph= 12, Dmin=115.1 km, Rmss=0.96 sec, Gp= 94°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=5
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2011ikf2

Posted by me: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It has since been removed from the website list.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Current Wyoming EQ pic:

MAP 2.9 2011/03/14 20:24:52 41.775 -108.726 1.9 WYOMING

Initially there were West Coastal EQs and then they started happening inland. What if 2.9 is just the beginning?
Still laughing?

It's just been removed from the list. Pictures tell all.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The USA is about to make history with the biggest earthquake that will be off the charts and trigger 2 more mega-quakes in the USA...............You ready USA??????

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yellowstone gets all the press. There is another super volcano in the US. It is Longs Valley Caldera. It is located in the Mammoth Mtn area of California. Iy has been under the radar for soo long no one pays any attention to it.
There have been swarms of earthquakes around Reno, NV which north of the volcano. Several years ago 4 people were killed one the volcano's vents. Two fell and two died trying to get them by the sulphur gas in the vent. It is always the quiet that will come up abd bite you in the rear end. Longs Valley is closer the more major urban areas
than Yellowstone. So it can be far more dangerous. Oh! one more thing some people thing that Yellowstone and Longs Valley are linked. If one goes the other will go. Then you are talking mega disaster bigger than one in Japan and Katrina combined.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

What's the date on this? Mexico and Oregon are showing heavy activity today:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
An interesting read about Yellowstone Caldera & potential erruption:

Is the Super Volcano Beneath Yellowstone Ready to Blow?

"In a super volcano the magma is blocked from ever reaching the surface. Instead, the pressure just builds and builds until more and more rock in the area melts and becomes magma too. The area under the surface becomes one huge underground sea of semi-molton rock. Finally, the pressure becomes too much to hold back and the entire surface above the underground chamber, which can be many miles wide, is blown away by a titanic explosion that can be thousands of times more powerful than that of a regular volcano."

Snipped

"Another catastrophic eruption is also possible. The effects of such a disaster are hard to even comprehend. Bill McGuire, professor of geohazards at the Benfield Greig Hazard Research Centre at the University College of London told the UK Daily Express, "Magma would be flung 50 kilometers into the atmosphere. Within a thousand kilometers virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption. One thousand cubic kilometers of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole USA with a layer 5 inches thick." He adds that it would once again bring "the bitter cold of Volcanic Winter to Planet Earth. Mankind may become extinct."

"Still, the super volcano at Yellowstone, and its kin around the world are a credible threat to man. Even the United States Geological Survey, usually conservative about such matters, admits that should a major eruption occur the results would have "global consequences that are beyond human experience and impossible to anticipate fully."

www.unmuseum.org...

edit on 14-3-2011 by ConsentioExpono because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Billsocal

That's important information. Thank you for sharing. I did a Googles search and there are 3: Yellowstone, Long Valley, CA and Valles Caldera, NM. Here is the link for anyone interested:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Billsocal

I found this in relation to your post:

April 27, 2008

: Reno Alert!

: Over 100 earthquakes have struck Reno, Nevada in the last 2
: days causing widespread damage and a concern for what else
: is coming.

: Geologists are warning that a 6+ quake is not unlikely now. It
: is unusual to have this many smaller quakes building up to
: a larger event. Usually it is the reverse of this.

: However, what they are not saying is that the magma from
: underground is building on its way to Yellowstone and is
: increasing in volume. This is causing rock to melt and
: fracture under Reno, which sits on top of a large lava tube
: that goes from the Pacific subduction zone to Yellowstone.
: Things will get a lot worse all over the west soon.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ConsentioExpono

Thanks for posting these. Not surprising these things get "removed". Don't want people to know what's going on... Smart of you to get right on it. Most of us were too emotionally distracted to think about checking our own back yard.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ConsentioExpono

That's close to where my child goes to college. I'm feeling a little green. Better the devil you know, eh?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Info on Craters & Calderas

Craters and Calderas

Craters are circular depressions, usually less than 1 km in diameter, that form as a result of explosions that emit gases and tephra.
Calderas are much larger depressions, circular to elliptical in shape, with diameters ranging from 1 km to 50 km. Calderas form as a result of collapse of a volcanic structure. The collapse results from evacuation of the underlying magma chamber.

In shield volcanoes, like in Hawaii, the evacuation of the magma chamber is a slow drawn out processes, wherein magma is withdrawn to erupt on from the rift zones on the flanks.

In stratovolcanoes the collapse and formation of a caldera results from rapid evacuation of the underlying magma chamber by voluminous explosive eruptions that form extensive fall deposits and pyroclastic flows.

Calderas are often enclosed depressions that collect rain water and snow melt, and thus lakes often form within a caldera.

Crater Lake Caldera in southern Oregon is an 8 km diameter caldera containing a lake The caldera formed about 6800 years ago as a result of the eruption of about 75 km3 of rhyolite magma in the form of tephra, found as far away as Canada, accompanied by pyroclastic flows that left thick deposits of tuff on the flanks of the volcano. Subsequent eruptions have built a cinder cone on the floor of the caldera, which now forms an island called Wizard Island.

Larger calderas have formed within the past million years in the western United States. These include Yellowstone Caldera in Wyoming, Long Valley Caldera in eastern California, and Valles Caldera in New Mexico.

The Yellowstone caldera is an important example, as it illustrates the amount of repose time that might be expected from large rhyolitic systems, and the devastating effect caldera forming eruptions can have on widespread areas.

Yellowstone Caldera which occupies most of Yellowstone National Park, is actually the third caldera to form in the area within the past 2 million years. The three calderas formed at 2.0 million years ago, 1.3 million years ago, and the latest at 600,000 years ago. Thus the repose time is on the average about 650,000 years.

More at link:

www.tulane.edu...

All thanks and credit to Tulane. Fair Use under educational purposes.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Yellowstone rated 'high threat' for volcanic eruption

Associated Press | Posted: Friday, May 6, 2005 12:00 am

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) - The Yellowstone caldera has been classified a high threat for volcanic eruption, according to a report from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Yellowstone ranks 21st most dangerous of the 169 volcano centers in the United States, according to the Geological Survey's first-ever comprehensive review of the nation's volcanoes.

Kilauea in Hawaii received the highest overall threat score followed by Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainer in Washington, Mount Hood in Oregon and Mount Shasta in California.

Kilauea has been erupting since 1983. Mount St. Helens, which erupted catastrophically in 1980, began venting again in 2004.

Those volcanoes fall within the very high threat group, which includes 18 systems. Yellowstone is classified with 36 others as high threat.

Snipped

Stepped up monitoring and a new 24-hour watch office could lead to more timely warnings and help avoid human catastrophes at Yellowstone and nationally, according to the USGS.

Forty-five eruptions, including 15 cases of notable volcanic unrest, have been documented at 33 volcanoes in the U.S. since 1980, according to the report, released April 29.

U.S. Geological Survey: www.usgs.gov...

Volcano Threat Report: pubs.usgs.gov...

Yellowstone Volcano Observatory: volcanoes.usgs.gov...

trib.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Found this mentioning of Yellowstone & Long Valley

"There are 3 Calderas in the Western United States United States. Yellow Stone, Long valley and ...Can you name the third? It is also good to note that the Yellow Stone Caldera's Magma Pool is connected to the Cascades."

Dennis said at June 20, 2010 2:26 PM:
www.futurepundit.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
"We're right to worry. We're right to keep a close eye on it, and on the Long Valley caldera, which too many people simply ignore because Yellowstone's got more star recognition. It's very likely, since they're connected way down deep somewhere, that when one of them goes, they both will. Imagine two supervolcanoes erupting at once so close together. Even one such eruption would change everything on earth."

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
UPDATE #1: Volcanoes in California, Idaho & Pacific Northwest Building Towards Catastrophic Eruptions
YOWUSA.COM, 23-July-03
Larry Park and Marshall Masters

Energy is deep, very strong and is indicative of its continued buildup. However, the earth is very dynamic and may lead to a phase of decline — only time will answer. Currently the energy is buffered with a layer of lithosphere, which gives time before any potential risk. Nevertheless, science must realize that factors may accelerate the ‘count-down clock' in breaching this buffering layer. A ‘super body', which accelerates in energy levels of harmonic resonance, may saturate and change the rigidity of this buffer layer. Adding to the considerations are the tremendous pressures involved in this ‘super body'. The fact that persistent gyro-scalar readings have now become the norm indicates that this body is not lacking in deep earth forces or pressures. Unfortunately, just as a magma chamber from deep with stealth appeared with no warning, we may not have much traditional science sensory warning in the future.

Included in the ‘superbody' regions are two ‘supervolcanoes' (Yellowstone Caldera & Long Valley Caldera). Given an accelerated ‘superbody' resonance with a massive pressure scenario, these monsters can breach with little to no warning. Hopefully, the earth will give notable clues to pending danger, but the clues may be small. This puts a great pressure on the decision makers; perhaps too great to decide on small events.

Science should pay close attention to any microquakes, swarms, or other seismic activity in volcanic regions.
Gases should be carefully monitored for any change in magmatic element traces.
Deformation or sudden changes in deformation in volcanic regions.
Changes in activity in previously dormant geysers.

It may also be possible that historic ‘superbody' activity has resulted in only one region of volcanic eruptions as the presence of this energy has never been observed. However, the fact that there is presence of activity in such wide range of very powerful volcanic regions gives concern for a multi -region event potential. History has recorded volcanic events encompassing a wide region as demonstrated back in 1850's involving Washington, Oregon, and California*. Science has also witnessed the large swarm series at Long Valley Caldera simultaneous to Mt St. Helens eruption. Although science believes these events were not ‘connected' — instrument data observing deep interactive processes disagrees with this position.

yowusa.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
California Supervolcano Has Split Personality
A sleeping supervolcano may be silent now, but when Long Valley does wake up, the results could be explosive..By Larry O'Hanlon
Tue Mar 2, 2010 07:00 AM ET

The good news is that the Long Valley caldera, like her big sister Yellowstone in Wyoming, is not getting ready to super-erupt and again cover half of North America in ash. The bad news is that when Long Valley does someday get hot and bothered again, it may prove to be surprisingly bi-polar.

A new study that uses argon isotopes in the lava rocks to refine the timing of different eruptions over the last 160,000 years reveals that when Long Valley has spewed forth in the past, it's been in two very different styles at nearly the same time, which makes it a bit of a volcanic oddity.

More at link:

news.discovery.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
US EQ in last 24 hrs: (Wyoming Removed)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I use the "Earthquake" app on my droid. It notifies me on seismic activity, and I've been running it for 6 months. What troubles me is that I've had 3 notifications over the last 3 days, March 12, 13, and 14, of tremors in Wyoming. It was a 2.8, 2.9, and today around 2:45pm CST, a 3.0. As soon as I recieve a notification, they are retracted within minutes. They don't appear on the master list. This is only the earthquakes that happen in Wyoming. Is anybody else experiencing this? Is it an attempt to retract data to stem panic? I just want to know if anybody else runs similar apps and has experienced the same thing.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Yeah, here is your fricken citation:

THOSE ARE LOCAL.

Things are moving too fast here. You think I'd kid about something like this???? Jesus.

TELL IT!!! I BELIEVE YOU www.blogtalkradio.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
guys... guys GUYS.....!!!!!!!

Nothing has happened. No activity, no flurry, no swarm. Sleep peacefully tonight for the poster of this is a nutter.

Bingo!

From the wording of his posts to his signature, it all just screams "Hey, look at me!". Don't challenge him because he can't back it up with facts, just snark!

Someone isn't getting enough attention in the real world. How anyone can't see this is scare-mongering and sensationalism is way, way beyond me.

Anytime something bad happens, the nut cases on here start digging, looking for evidence of something else about to happen, some deep, hidden connection, etc. It never pans out, but it doesn't stop them from defending it to their death.

I too had a premonition/prediction; I predicted that the OP was a nut-job after reading his first post...over an hour ago! I'll never get those 60 minutes back now!

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join