It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh no, Yellowstone May have been awakened by the 8.8

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
CNN has reported that the earths axis has moved 8 feet

Not true. Japan itself moved 8 feet, the Earth has shifted on its axis by 4 inches.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

No, it reported that it has shifted maybe 4 inches on it's axis. Only one station has moved 8 feet, which is to be expected when you have powerful thrusts that move land, it's quite normal after quakes.

Like I said, any change that has happened it is not even noticeable, certainly not to the extent that was mentioned (40° out I think). Land slipping is a different thing that an axial shift.
I can't speak the the poster who said that, but I can tell you there has been no noticeable shift on the otherside of the world, and there are no reports from others that mention it either.
edit on 12-3-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by onetruesaxon

Honestly, I think it boils down to larger population. More people + more computers= more people active in this community (Just a guess) We all are interested in World events but also how they may also correspond with events in our own area(s) and if there is a correlation. DOn't you feel the same about your "area"? Was there any changes or events the coincided with Japan's quake? It's something to discuss.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I keep telling people that all over the world this has effected the earth in some way and people say no. yet there is proof.

Georgia:

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

Maybe now people will start believing. Almost all of the USGS equipment went off, all over the world as well, it all shows what happened. Like I said quakes, effect everyone, and all of the earth.
edit on 12-3-2011 by pmbhuntress because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Published:
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:35 AM CST
Simmering under the souvenir stands and ice cream parlors, stalking silently up through the mud pots, and showing its presence in monthly earthquakes is the fact that most of Yellowstone National Park is an active volcano. But the misconceptions that surround the volcano’s activities and its potential for doom can run just as wide as the expansive caldera bridging the park’s boundaries.

“I think a lot of people have watched the documentaries on television and know of some of the large eruptions in the past,” said Jacob Lowenstern, the director of the U.S. Geological Survey’s Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. “What they don’t know is how likely or unlikely those eruptions are and what real threat they pose to the areas around the park.”

On March 21, Lowenstern comes to Buffalo to give a free public lecture at 7 p.m. at the Johnson County Fairgrounds Community Building, speaking on the misconceptions about Yellowstone activity, the geologic history of the park, and what processes are at play in the visible phenomena on the surface.

“Four miles beneath Yellowstone is molten rock,” Lowenstern said. “A lot of heat is stored up in places, that causes rocks to heat, and that boils the ground water system, it bakes other rocks and contributes gasses of all sorts. That’s some of processes that you are seeing play out when you drive through the park.”

Johnson County Emergency Management Coordinator Marilyn Connolly said that she requested Lowenstern’s visit so that the public could be better informed about the park and the potential threat it brings to the community.

“The reason that he was asked to come to the area is that when we were putting together our multi-hazard mitigation plan, one of the things we looked at was the potential risk if Yellowstone had an eruption,” Connolly said. “I had to put that there wasn’t enough data to analyze how severe of an impact we would face, and after listening to Lowenstern talk a couple times I decided that by bringing him here we could add some documentation and perhaps have enough information to complete that section of the mitigation plan.”

Lowenstern’s professional focus has been on magmas and their overlying hydrothermal systems. Since 2002 he has served in the capacity of scientist-in-charge of the observatory and spends his days furthering research projects on the park in addition to field monitoring at Yellowstone.

“I would say that when I drive through the park I probably pay a little more attention to the rocks and the steam than your average person,” Lowenstern said.

And the vigilance is warranted as in February 2011, 57 earthquakes were reported for the area according to the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. While that number is considered normal by researchers, it serves as a reminder to the continuing underground activity in the park.

“What I hear all the time is that if Yellowstone blows up we don’t care because we’ll all be dead. If you come listen to the talk you’ll find out that’s not true,” Connolly said. “There’s potential for small eruptions that could really impact us that doesn’t blow the top off Yellowstone. If you come and listen, it might change your mind that there’s potential for an event in Yellowstone to impact our community and the better we are aware of it, the better we can prepare for it.”

Story by Grant Smith, [email protected]

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Nothing on Yellowstone so far. That's good.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by conar

Yellowstone is NOT in the ring of fire.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
My husband went through the Loma Prieta quake back in '89.

He told me that for days on end, they kept feeling mild jolts and tremors leading up the that big one. He also remembers the news downplaying it, and the USGS giving it zero attention. They kept having little ones constantly until BAM Loma Prieta hit.

I'm NOT fear mongering, I'm telling the truth. There is no reason to lie about what is going on. We need to be aware and being aware is the right thing to do. If the USGS had warned or at least given attention to the constant tremors before the Loma Prieta, we wonder who would have been alive. Who knows.

If these continue every day, we are moving, according to him. We'll see. Just wanted to share that with this thread.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Thunder heart woman because: (no reason given)

I too am a survivor of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Thunder heart woman, you summed it up brilliantly, exactly as it all unfolded!

I just wanted to show some support to what your husband experienced, along with thanking you for sharing that.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by onetruesaxon

On topic now, the seismic data at yellow stone. why not call an authority on it, like someone who works at the national park, and see what they think. they might be monotoring it, or might just tell you that it was somthing simple, like malfuntion or it being affected by something else.
edit on 12-3-2011 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

You know, several of us have done just that. We have all posted our responses back from the USGS. Those can be found in both of these threads:

What's Going On At Yellowstone

Earthquake Swarm In Arkansas Intensifies...

However, allow me to save you some time. The USGS always points us all to the various categories within the FAQ section on the USGS website.

USGS FAQ

It has been speculated here and on many other sites, that the USGS "deletes/hides" a lot of earthquakes. Let me make it clear that this next statement is MY OWN OPINION and NOT FACT.

I believe they do in fact do this. I really do not want to argue this with anyone, I am just sharing my opinion. But I think it is important to note that even the USGS has a "policy" on their own website that makes a pretty significant statement regarding this. An order placed on them, directly from the White House.

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) directive, Final Information Quality Bulletin for Peer Review, dated December 16, 2004 (263 KB PDF), requires that there be a "systematic process of peer review planning" and access to a list of information products for official dissemination that will be peer reviewed as either influential scientific information or highly influential scientific assessments.

USGS Peer Review Agenda

I think it's obvious. If something like Yellowstone were in fact about to blow... it's clear what the effects on our nation would be. It's also clear that mass panic would ensue if such an event were about to take place and if the government actually decided to announce it.

I, for one, am grateful for the folks here on ATS (you know who you are)... who do monitor the various webicorders and keep tabs on things. Often times these people see things long before you will ever see anything mentioned on the USGS website. That alone to me, is invaluable information!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
Oh what a crock of fear mongering crud..!!!

If Yellowstone goes up, no denyin it, the eruption will be bad for humans and all other life on earth for sure...

But I'm sick and tired of hearing all this "all life on earth will die", crap..!!

If YS goes boom life would still go on. Not as normal but it would still go on.

It's not fear mongering, unfortunately.

The last supervolcano eruption at Toba left 10,000 people alive on earth. We were very lucky not to go extinct. Yellowstone could be 4-5 times larger.

The difference is: there is a whole lot more people to feed now. The current food reserve for the planet stands at around two months. After that, you're hunting for your dinner. But so will millions of other people, and there may not be so many animals left to hunt.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if Yellowstone went off full scale it would be a run to the hills, everybody for themselves kind of situation. And a few months later, chances are you will be on someone's dinner menu.

It's not a joke.

It would be Cormac McCarthy's "The Road", for real.
edit on 12-3-2011 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I believe that the Peer Review process refers to information being published on that site that is intended to be solid, verifiable, evidence. Other scientific organizations will look over the data to make sure that it can be used as an authentic source.

Usually, the policy with a site such as the USGS earthquake tracking one will be that all listings are not 100% verified and actual scientific data, and that they are subject to computer glitches, bugs, etc. Having information peer reviewed means that some data can be made more concrete.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

i think we all know that the the new world order has caused this catastrophe by setting bombs on the asian plate. now japan needs britian and americas help .........soon japan will join the new world order .....its not rocket science !

signature:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
After that, you're hunting for your dinner. But so will millions of other people, and there may not be so many animals left to hunt.

I dont think a lot of people get that. I think most people think it will be inconvenient, and that they will take their gun and just go get them some deer, or fishing pole and get some fish and it will be harder, but easily survivable.

Lets pretend Yellowstone didnt do ANY damage to any of the natural areas, and only wrecked "our" stuff. (Which isnt true, natural areas would also be impacted by ash fall, temperature change and lack of sunlight) but lets pretend there were just as many deer and fish as there are now.

Just the increase in people hunting them would run them out in no time flat. All the inexperienced hunters taking females, ignoring and interrupting their breeding seasons, it wouldnt take long at all before they were just gone. And thats goes for all our natural food sources. The hunter gatherer lifestyle requires a MUCH lower population burden on an area.

You are right, many of us would end up being eaten by others in short order. The fighting and starvation would be extreme and ferocious.

Yellowstone going off is a big, big deal. Honestly, we are on the brink of collapse right now, without it going off. A series of serious natural disasters on a lower magnitude and a couple serious crop disasters and we could easily begin a downward slide. We are thisclose. But not many really realize it. They SENSE it, its why tensions are so high, but they dont really see it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask or anything, but could someone please reassure me that the current seismic activity in Mexico is 'normal' behaviour? They're having a lot of 4's.

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chooselove

I have not looked through to see if this has been answered for you but anyway here goes - sort of!

Basically seismograms showing very flat leading edges to the 'spikes', or with a small 'lump' in front of a flat edged bigger one are most likely local earthquakes. This is because what you are seeing is the P wave and the S wave (the Primary and Secondary waves) very close together.

There are lots of links to information about what these all look like here, so rather than go through it all I will leave to you to look at those.

Now it is possible for there to be all varieties of 'shapes' depending on the original location of the earthquake, the distance from the seismo you are looking at, the materials (rocks) that the wave has travelled through, etc.

Generally the more distant the quake the smaller the 'squiggle' but with a big quake like Japan this is not the case. What it is not always possible to determine on something like GEE, at least not instantly, is what I call the 'density' of the spike. Distant quakes are loooonng and wiggly, close ones are short and fat - well something like anyway.

I can tell from the amount of times I have to multiply the rate of the 'spike' when I am listening to it. A local quake will be heard at 1000Hz or 2000Hz. The Japan quake could hardly be heard at 4000Hz and was best at 8000Hz, or 80 times the speed. In some respects I have an advantage over the others as I have played around with the sound much more.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Hello. I'm new, and have been watching for some time.
Figured i might as well join the party, seeing that most of the people i know are too afraid to look.
So, i thought i'd share this with you all for a start...
-Yellowstone will experience a small eruption by Yellowstone standards as a result of the vibrations caused by a large quake in Japan early in the year that destabalize the magma chamber. ~ Edgar Cayce.

Just a point of interest.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
[
It would be Cormac McCarthy's "The Road", for real.
edit on 12-3-2011 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

No doubt Yellowstone would be big. I have a broblem though with "The Road" scinario.. IMHO the eco system would be damaged on an equal playing field. What I mean is "I" think all life form would be removed...So there would'nt be hundreds of people in an area with out plant life or animal life to sustain. Pockets of people would have good ground and equally animal life also. I think people will be so sparce they will hunger for food and fellowship both.

Solitude is man's worst threat

This is only MY opinion

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by fulllengthmirror
-Yellowstone will experience a small eruption by Yellowstone standards as a result of the vibrations caused by a large quake in Japan early in the year that destabalize the magma chamber. ~ Edgar Cayce.

Just a point of interest.

Cayce wrote this? back then? wow.....time will prove this one

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
another useful link from USGS, specifically Yellowstone Volcano Observatory.

As I have said before, there are seismologists from Utah university continually monitoring activity and post anything of relevance to safety IMMEDIATELY, even if data wasn't available to the public, this is to ensure accuracy of reports.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Update on Yellowstone Seismic Network Telemetry Problems UPDATE: 24 Feb 2011: The Yellowstone Seismograph Network continues to experience some earthquake data telemetry problems that affect publicly available seismic information, but do not affect the computed locations and magnitudes of earthquakes used for monitoring and public safety. In addition, University of Utah seismologists review all events greater than magnitude 2.5 and post their results immediately. This procedure eliminates false earthquake reports and the subsequent need to delete such information. Similar procedures are followed at other U.S. regional seismic networks, including networks operating in similar mountainous terrain such as Alaska and the Cascade Range. Field engineers will visit the remote Yellowstone telemetry sites when logistics permit.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Because you see, I could come here tonight and tell you that I and my husband, and my neighbors down the road felt a rocking sensation at 12:15 AM. But you won't believe us because .... once again I don't see it reported.

I would be very happy to take a look, but I need more information. Problem is that what I need to know is where you live (approximately - a town will do) so if you don't want to give that information I will understand. Then I need the date and time in (preferably) UTC or to know which time zone you are in.

If you can give me that information I will take a look at the seismos for the area concerned and see what I can find.

Bear in mind that for ANY earthquake to be seen on a seismo the ground has to move! I did mention this earlier on the thread. Maybe you are more sensitive to this. Anyway as I say I am happy to take a look.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join