It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 99
<< 96  97  98    100  101  102 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by recycled

No, it's not a swarm. Those quakes are over a very large area, and if you look at long-term data they are almost all in regions where such quakes are nothing out of the ordinary. Swarms are generally in a much smaller region (localized) and there needs to be a fair number of them (in the dozens) within a matter of days before they're considered as a possible swarm.

In any case they don't relate to what's happening in Japan. In Japan's case, what we're seeing for the most part is pretty typical aftershock activity. The new quakes on the other side of the island (on land) are worrying because that's on another fault.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Apparently there was another...
Magnitude 6.6 earthquake hits northwest Japan: report
news.yahoo.com...

link   
Is anybody able to get the live stream from the Japansese station www.ustream.tv... ?

I was just writing a post and had the channel running in the background and suddnely heard lots of crashing and so on, and now they're showing as "off air".

Anyone see what happened?

link   
reply to post by JustMike

It's like the whole earth is shaking. My heart hurts badly today, and my thoughts are with those in all affected areas.
Here's to no more catastrophes, I'm sure that's just wishful thinking.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Japanese Quake Upgraded To Magnitude 9.1

edit on 11-3-2011 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

In any case they don't relate to what's happening in Japan. In Japan's case, what we're seeing for the most part is pretty typical aftershock activity.

typical aftershocks ? can anyone confirm that

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
What a horrible tragedy... The footage is just...indescribable....

link   
MAP 6.3 2011/03/11 20:11:23 39.025 142.645 8.7 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 6.6 2011/03/11 19:46:49 40.472 139.070 10.0 NEAR THE WEST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

Jeez

link   
ahem, I think some people constantly refreshing this thread, trying to be the grammar gestapo,or the Greater then he, approach need to chill. Not everyone values your judgment and you need to take a chill pill, maybe go eat some lunch or have a cocktail or something. Your starting to look trollish, not saying any names, outta respect.. Lets get civilized.

www.chron.com...

fresh

timesherald.com...

www.foxnews.com...

last story is pretty crazy..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

Wow, so now I'm pretty sure that the quake is now tied with Sumatra for the third biggest earthquake.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The city of Kesennuma has so many fires burning that it looks as if it has been under military bombardment. Here's a link to an NHK world service webpage with a photo taken from a helicopter.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d1e05d2d0ba.jpg[/atsimg]

This morning I was listening to a live stream in English from Tokyo where the situation there was being covered in great detail at the street level. There are a lot of good resources online for people who want to keep current.

This MSNBC blog has good links seeded throughout. If you scroll down there is a graphic showing estimated Tsunami wave height around the Pacific.

worldblog.msnbc.msn.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2915c6271676.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 11-3-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This earthquake and tsunami, plus the Haiti earthquake, plus the Indian Ocean tsunami equal HANDS DOWN the worst things I've seen on the news in my ENTIRE LIFE. 9/11 was bad, and nothing but praise and prayers to the victims but THIS %$@@ is overwhelming!!

link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

I meant in terms of what is seen after a megathrust quake. Obviously it's not typical for a smaller quake to get such huge aftershocks or so many, but for a major quake like this it is. I've referenced back in thread.

Right now I'm worried about what's happening on Tokyo. Please see my post above...

link   
reply to post by recycled

Gave me quite a heart ache as well, the female Japanese translator on tv last night (who of course sounded cute as a button) was about to break into tears, I had to lay down and stop watching the news.

link   
China going to help.

UN going to help.

Japanese official news here at NHK.

US forces already helping...

Lucky thing the energy was released as a massive earthquake swarm- and not one big megaquake (9.1 is one of the largest observed quakes, but the Earth has and will make earthquakes that make even this seem small). Despite arguments about terminology in the geophysics community, the aftershocks do constitute a swarm; if the energy had been released in one massive thrust, the resulting mega tsunami would have been of unbelievable power.

Thanks at Vitchilio (below), he says Russian Federation is sending help, too. Its about time we all start helping each other to survive in this deadly universe...
edit on 11-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

link   
Now Fox News is reporting damage in Brookings OR.

link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

wow omg !

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Russia is also going to help.

Kyodo reporting that 4 trains that were running near the coast are still missing.

link   
Watching the EQ on GEE right now, very intense and seems to just keep going.

For those that don't know what GEE is, it's the Global Earthquake Explorer and can be downloaded at

Global Earthquake Explorer

link   

Originally posted by Bicent76
ahem, I think some people constantly refreshing this thread, trying to be the grammar gestapo,or the Greater then he, approach need to chill. Not everyone values your judgment and you need to take a chill pill, maybe go eat some lunch or have a cocktail or something. Your starting to look trollish, not saying any names, outta respect.. Lets get civilized.

www.chron.com...

fresh

timesherald.com...

www.foxnews.com...

last story is pretty crazy..

Pretty common defense for one who has made themselves look foolish here. As long as you ridicule the dead, i will gladly point out your foolishness. To call someone who died a moron when you cant even pick out the proper form of the word to use, well, the irony is undeniable. Not to mention calling for civility when you are ridiculing those that have died. IRONY.

Not everyone values YOUR input, and it is no more valid than anyone else's (and honestly, it is less so, looking at these comments).
edit on 11-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 96  97  98    100  101  102 >>

join