It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 75
<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
BBC just said those aftershocks could last weeks or months.

link   
reply to post by Extralien

yea i heard it too
i just hope it was a quiet train and not busy but knowing japan it was full probably

link   
BBC just reported:

Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a "serious problem" at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. "It's the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about," he says. "If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselves."

The earthquake was also recorded as far as Scotland.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
wow i just got back from work and seen the news for the first time today i live next to a japanese restaurant i was wondering why know one is about this morning i was just talking to afew of the workers im friendly with and they are freking out apparently they cant make phone calls to japan the phonelines are down. i just unlocked my wi-fi router so thay can try the internet from out back theres like 40 people trying to use the wifi in the restaurant trying to talk to fam. It looks pritty bad

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I've been searching around to try and find any Seismic / Tsunami monitors here in Indonesia, I'm currently in Jakarta and a little worried with the recent updates and how things are progressing. Can anyone shed any light? Know any links? Heard any news? Anything going to happen here?

Much appreciated for replies.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher

"The Tokyo Electric Power Company has said the pressure inside the No. 1 reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant has been rising, with the risk of a radiation leak, according to the Jiji Press news agency. Tepco planned to take measures to release the pressure, the report added. The reactor's cooling system began to malfunction after the earthquake. People living close to the plant were later evacuated as a precaution. Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a "serious problem" at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. "It's the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about," he says. "If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselves."

BBC LIVE UPDATE ON LEFT OF SCREEN

Wow.. Seriously conflicting reports coming out. At the bottom of the Reuters link I posted above:

Separately, Fukushima Prefecture, the site of a Tokyo Electric Power nuclear power plant, said on Friday the plant's reactor cooling system was functioning, denying an earlier report that it was malfunctioning.

Source

link   
reply to post by AdonisDNA

Go and make them a hot drink man, they must be beside themselves poor souls.

link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher

"The Tokyo Electric Power Company has said the pressure inside the No. 1 reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant has been rising, with the risk of a radiation leak, according to the Jiji Press news agency. Tepco planned to take measures to release the pressure, the report added. The reactor's cooling system began to malfunction after the earthquake. People living close to the plant were later evacuated as a precaution. Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a "serious problem" at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. "It's the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about," he says. "If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselves."

BBC LIVE UPDATE ON LEFT OF SCREEN

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.world-nuclear-news.org...

FYI,

Please note that there are two nuclear plants that have been affected by the quake. Fukushima Daini and Fukushima Daiichi.

Fukushima Daini are using RCIC for all 4 units. ECCS was started (initially?) for unit 1 because of increase in containment pressure assumed to be from leak.

Fukushima Daiichi lost off-site power from one of two sources and the emergency diesel generators (all of them) stopped working. Not sure what they’re doing now. I presume RCIC or HPCI?

en.wikipedia.org...

All BWRs.

In simplified terms, Daini units 1-4 are all using a safety system called RCIC (see link for explanation) to maintain core cooling. The containment of unit 1 had an increase in pressure indicating a steam leak hence the ECCS (see link for explanation) was activated automatically. Daiichi lost power from external sources (e.g. the grid) and the diesel generators stopped working, hence if power still hasn't been restored, they will be using RCIC which is battery powered, or HPCI which doesn't need power.
edit on 11/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Evanescence

so that comment "shatterd" your hope in humanity ? wow
i predict that as the days go by events will shatter your hope
of normalcy it is easy to say nothing to see here until you yourself
are running for your life as the sky falls. stop being so fake in your shock of someone elses opinion , this is ats you should be used to
those comments stop fishing for stars from the naysayer elite !

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

President Obabma due to make a speech live

link   
Fox news just reporting that Reactor number 1 is failing (paraphrasing).. they are evacing people right now.

link   
i dont get it

one minute a report will be put out like `state of neuclear emergency` and the next minute we are told its okay

and now apparently a guy reported that people `in the know` are saying things need to be sorted fast or they could get very bad

somebody explain

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
TEPC... Rueters breaking news. Pressure is rising inside the nuclear reactor.

They just said that on CNN, as a "this just in" so I apologize if this is what has already been mentioned. It just seemed to me as if, it is now raising more rapidly than was previously expected.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Xris86

thats all I heard about Indonesia right now

Volcanology official Agus Budianto said Friday that authorities were still trying to evacuate residents living along the slopes of Mount Karangetang. There were no immediate reports of injuries or serious damage. The 5,853-foot (1,784-meter) mountain is located on Siau, part of the Sulawesi island chain. It last erupted in August, killing four people. Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is located on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin. The eruption happened hours after a massive earthquake in Japan that triggered a Pacific-wide tsunami.

LINK

link   
reply to post by Justaposter

its failing ? just now ? i am listing to fox but on xm radio didnt hear that

link   

Originally posted by Perfectenemy
1708: Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a "serious problem" at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. "It's the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about," he says. "If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselves."

Hmmm not good.

If they don't get this under control VERY soon, this will trump the quake and tsunami if they have rods melt down and a chain reaction occurs. (I believe they have newer cores that protect them from a cascading chain reaction) but they need to get the rods cooled down, and SOON. Or this will become the main story.

Remember a few years back with that 'incident' at a Japanese reactor, and they covered it up and got found out.. something about leaking storage barrels I believe?.. If the Japanese Government says "All is OK" I wouldn't take their word for it.. That's why the IAEA is on the way.

news.bbc.co.uk... (the 2007 story on Japan hiding the leaks)

Is the Kansai International Airport ok?

This had to be a megathrust event.... I just hope it doesn't 'unzip' like the 2004 Boxing day quake did....
edit on 3/11/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/11/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
[12:06 p.m. ET, 2:06 a.m. Tokyo] Radiation level rising in Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant turbine building, Kyodo News Agency reports.

[12:02 p.m. ET, 2:02 a.m. Tokyo] The death toll from the massive earthquake in Japan will likely surpass 1,000, the Kyodo News Agency reported.

[11:57 a.m. ET, 1:57 a.m. Tokyo] The U.S. Navy has announced the following ship movements in reaction to the earthquake in Japan:

– USS Essex, with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (about 2,000 Marines) aboard, is preparing to leave Malaysia for Japan.

– USS Blue Ridge is in Singapore loading up with humanitarian supplies and then headeding to Japan.

– USS Tortuga is at a base in Sasebo, in the far south of Japan ready to assist where needed.

– USS Harpers Ferry and USS Germantown are in the region and steaming towards Japan.

– USS Ronald Reagan was in the region for a long-planned exercise off Korea, but now steaming towards Japan to help.

– USS George Washington was docked at a maintenance pier in Japan when quake struck. Unclear what help, if any, it could provide.

– USS Dubuque put to sea from Seal Beach, California.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

link   
i think there is definatly a massive nuclear threat right now but they dont want to set the people into a state of panic, hence the conflicting reports

i am praying for the region

this doesnt look good

funkywarlord
edit on 11-3-2011 by funkywarlord because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

heh, my duh! moment

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi power are starting to heat up and are gaining pressure really fast I just heard.

new topics

top topics

<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join