It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 60
<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Reporting from northern Japan- Hokkaido island...

All I can say is that it was a BIG one. Official reports here say that the first quake of 8.9 today lasted a whole 5 minutes! Have had big aftershocks ALL day long today. Here, our apartment was really shaking at about a 4.5 during the first quake. Felt like we were on a ship during a big storm or something. I couldn't even walk straight it was rocking so bad. In the years I have lived here, I have never experienced anything this big. Japanese news is now reporting that at least 200 are dead and many, many more missing, but I am suspecting at least 3,000-4,000 dead when this is all over with. Large sections of outskirts of Sendai city are now burning, according to live news shots taken by Japanese military flying overhead. Looks like it was carpet-bombed or something. Coastal cities everywhere along the east coast of Japan are flooded. Devastation is unbelievable. Will report more later if anyone is interested.
edit on 11-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
As far as the reactor situation is concerned, everyone needs to understand that a reactor is not a bomb, but a giant hot water heater. Assuming this is a modern reactor (looking for info now), it is ridiculously over engineered. There are secondary and tertiary cooling systems in place to remove heat from the primary coolant. Unfortunately, these backups are not as efficient as the primary system, so total cooling will take significantly longer.

As far as evacuations are concerned, even with these safeguards in place, it is prudent to move people away from the reactor because it is always better to be safe than sorry.

link   

ADMIN NOTICE

This thread has become a live update type of resource on the events and aftermath directly related to the massive earthquake off Japan for many people.

Please focus only on news, updates, first-person reports, and related posts within this thread.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR END-TIME SPECULATION.

While speculation on larger events in which this earthquake may be a part is valid, please do so in one of the many other existing threads on that subject.

Posts unrelated to the events directly attributed to the quake will be removed. Members who attempt to spam this thread with unrelated posts may see their posting privileges temporarily removed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

link   
Nuclear Power plant might have exploded Fox live captures live footage then quickly change to another live shot

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by preludefanguy

This is the report I was hoping not to see this morning. 8.9 is a serious critter, I knew there would be more than a few dozen casualties, I'm so sickened to read this, it is all over 'the twitter' right now.
Damn.
My best goes to Japanese families, stay strong!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
bbc news reporting 1 source on 10,000 missing?
its changing all the time as expected
final figure could be anything!
i hope its low

link   
My brother is in Okinawa and can only call out of Oki in a "tree" priority, not sure what that means but I guess its not alot. Also they have closed some roads is SF. Bridges are still open, some ferries are not running also. When he skypes me or calls on the web cam and I can confirm he is okay I will update as well.

link   
reply to post by Warhacks

your link is not posted!
2nd

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Latest report is 9.1
6 ft waves at Maui Hawaii

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Warhacks

Here's your link:

EDITED OUT

Edit to Add:

After watching this a couple of times - Hey, my gut feeling is - manufactured.

edit on 11-3-2011 by silo13 because: edit out video that was pure bs

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
How can this be???? all the big quakes are at exact 10 km depth (6.21 miles) everyone of them?????

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
anyone have a live stream to hawaii???

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
6 1/2 feet expected off of oregon coast

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Artorius

Try CNN.com

I can't link it, but they have live video link on the top of their home page

link   
oops
edit on 11-3-2011 by Artorius because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by silo13

That's more inaccuracy by Fox. The explosion was an oil refinery that had been burning for over an hour. This took place several hours ago, so not new news, and was not a nuclear plant. I've been watching all feeds for 7 hours.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Artorius
anyone have a live stream to hawaii???

mashable.com...

link   
reply to post by Artorius

Here is a link that was focusing on Hawaii last i heard.... the video does not work on my browser i only get the sound

www.khon2.com...
edit on 11-3-2011 by Vampiri because: (no reason given)

link   

link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

reply to post by jonibelle

thanks
edit on 11-3-2011 by Artorius because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join