It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tsloan

The one last year in Chile was 8.8, in 1960 they had one at 9.5 .

My thoughts go out to all the people of Japan and others that may be affected. Hoping there are no further issues with more tsunamis.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tsloan

we always take these things very seriously, we have the tsunami warning sirens sounding as i type here, and police sirens alerting residents. better safe.

The Most Devastating Tsunami of All The most destructive tsunami in Hawaii occurred on April 1, 1946 after an earthquake measuring 7.4 on the Richter Scale struck the ocean floor off the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. Waves reportedly traveled across the ocean at 500 miles an hour and measured 55 feet high, crest to trough, according to the USGS.

www.civilbeat.com...

edit on 063131p://2011-03-11T06:04:39-06:00201103 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

link   
Sky News TV reporter just said that after the tsunami there are reports of snow and blizzards in Japan.
I have no idea how that could be related, but there you go...

link   

Originally posted by Hawk777th
Ok, about the nuclear power plant, reactor 1 from Fukushima automatically went off went the earthquake struck, the problem is they didn't have electricity to cool it off, even the diesel power supply malfunctioned, so they had to use emergency power supplies. But now they are bringing power generating machines to keep it juiced so I won't worry to much about it. No radiation leaks in case you were worried.

This is from a friend in Japan!

Cheers, hopefully that's right and we'll soon hear the news mentioning it too.

link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

THe fukushima plant is one of the biggest in the world. its has been shut down successfully. there is no detected leaks.

on reactor no.1 (apparently one of the smaller ones) they cannot cool the reactor becuase of an electrical problem. This is very serious.Its a major emergency.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tsloan

8.8 at a depth of 22miles, however Hawaii got 'sideswiped' by the amplification of the Tsunami not to mention obvious environmental differences, such as the P-Wave was focused Easterly towards Chile following the fault slip than Westwards out to Sea.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Tsunami sirens going off as I type... The time of impact draws nearer and nearer.

We shall see how this pans out.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
My prayers are with you friends in Hawaii.
Hopefully this turns out to be a "better safe than sorry" situation.

link   
Just FYI.

Any modern and western reactor (and this includes Japanese reactors) will be able to be shut down in seconds. However, the fuel will still be generating a significant amount of what is known as decay heat. This heat isn't caused by a nuclear chain reaction, but instead the decay of short-lived, highly radioactive elements. If this heat isn't transferred away from the reactor, eventually the fuel will heat up to the point it melts. This is what happened at Three Mile Island. However, if cooling is still not established the fuel may melt through the reactor itself. As far as I know, they will flood the area where the reactor is (the containment vessel), meaning if the fuel melts through the reactor it is instantly cooled when it hits the water (creating an enormous amount of steam too). As far as I know, if this happens very little or even no radioactivity will be released. I am not completely certain but I think if it melts through the reactor, it may melt through the concrete containment vessel. The consequences of this could be large (although nothing comparable to Chernobyl which was an explosion then a massive fire).

In most or even all currently operating nuclear power plants, to keep the fuel cool continuous cooling systems must be running, which use electricity. If the grid is down, then they will use emergency diesel generators.

I don't really care about the fires, apparently they have been put out.

Fukushima number one reactor, apparently all of the safety grade diesels are inoperable which is pretty significant.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

There's scarce details on it though.
edit on 11/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

link   
LACK OF INFO UPDATE ON THE POWER `PLANT IS WORRYING.
but they know better, so if they're not evacuating is because it's all ok.

link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

on reactor no.1 (apparently one of the smaller ones) they cannot cool the reactor becuase of an electrical problem. This is very serious.Its a major emergency.

Damn, each time I think it's passed there's different news saying it's still going on. I just hope they manage to get it sorted out.
edit on 11-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
On NHK though it seems they still have a problem!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
Tsunami sirens going off as I type... The time of impact draws nearer and nearer.

Excuse my ignorence....where are you?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
here is link for live coverage in Hawaii. Prayers are with all those affected by this quake.

www.kitv.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah

Ive been praying today, for the first time in ages, its so weird to see people like you, just ordinary Joe Blogg posters (no offence, you know what i mean) actually saying that this is happening to you, I cannot tell you how sorry i feel for you right now friend.

link   
They already have a list of the arrival of the tsunami,these are the 4 on the top:

taiwan
philippines
indonesia
hawaii

link   
reply to post by The Great Day

I am in Hawaii.

Pretty surreal right now to say the least.

link   

Originally posted by metodex
LACK OF INFO UPDATE ON THE POWER `PLANT IS WORRYING.
but they know better, so if they're not evacuating is because it's all ok.

i don't think they is anywhere to evacuate to for something like this.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
This whole power plant thing is ridiculous. You'd think by now we'd have progressed passed being at risk of things like this. There must be a better way of generating power than by using something so risky. It's completely stupid.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
.5 meter high tsunami hit indonesia BBC news

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join