It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
WOah new aftershock right now, dunno how strong!!!!! the reporter was so calm about it!!

Is there any earthquake savvy people here?
Are so many aftershocks that common? Dozens of em!

By the way, the death toll keep escalating.It's terible

EDIT: I read something about the cooling system working now. JUST A RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR

HOPE IT'S TRUE!!
edit on 11-3-2011 by metodex because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by bladdersweat

I'm right here with you.

Will let you guys know if water reaches my house when the tsunami hits.

link   
reply to post by metodex

There will be many more than that!!

Have you been watching the news or seen the footage and images online??

It is crazy, the way the Tsunami hit, it was so fast and horiffic!!!

I sit in my home office typing this now and i could not imagine a wall of water coming that fast that my house would be swamped like that.

I feel so sorry for them.

Whether or not you live near the coast, just imagine being near dinner time and suddenly a wall of water swamps you out of nowhere??

What would you do?

Sorry i'm not having a go at you or anything just adding to your comments and furthering to some of the insensitive people out there.... shame on you ( the people who don't care )
edit on 11-3-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Apologies if this has been posted already, but someone predicted this big quake on March 9, based on observations of the sun.

He's actually talking about the March 9th quake but says he expects a bigger one within a day or two, if I remember correctly. Incredible.

link   
english.aljazeera.net...

here again is one of the sources that many are reporting from it has been posted before so that's prolly why peolpe are not adding it to every post. Currently they are reporting on Libya but last they had about Japan nuclear power plants was that there is NO leak just cooling problems.
edit on 11-3-2011 by Vampiri because: (no reason given)

link   

Officials fear tsunami may have washed over entire islands in Pacific.

Breaking on CNN homepage now.

CNN

link   
as per scientist interviewed on the BBC news station it is very common to have many aftershocks for a considerable amount of time after an earthquake of this magnitude

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

Officials fear tsunami may have washed over entire islands in Pacific.

Breaking on CNN homepage now.

CNN

The seismologist who was on CNN earlier said that those "islands" are attolls, which are barely above sea level. It's not quite as horrific as it sounds (this part, anyway...the rest is legitimately horrific).

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

yeah there have been alot of threads lately about Earth activity, some focusing on the Sun and other's on the '' Super Moon '' and others focusing on both.

I think there is more to it as well, but it's hard to provide actual proof on the subject.

Although i will say this; I looked up tonight and it was a little past a crescent Moon in AU, but it was a big moon, larger than usual.....

Of course the Moon has a gravitational effect on us... But some scientist's can think they are so much smarter than the rest of us that they become closed minded and arrogant...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
people on twitter are reporting airports in Hawaii are closed.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Apologies if this has been posted already, but someone predicted this big quake on March 9, based on observations of the sun.

He's actually talking about the March 9th quake but says he expects a bigger one within a day or two, if I remember correctly. Incredible.

That's amazing, thanks. Never knew that was possible. Maybe governments should start listening to people like him more if it can help prepare for stuff like this.

link   
This just in on REUTERS

The reports on the power plant are alarming. The core has to be continually cooled even after removal. It is hard to accept that a "power problem" is preventing them from operating the pump. Something else must be wrong with the pumping system. I don't know much about Japanese reactor design, but I am very concerned an uncooled core will eventually superheat the coolant and explode. If I were them, I would evacuate the area.

live.reuters.com...

link   
a few of tokyo's subway stations have been starter operating.Much are still offline

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
My thoughts are with Japan.
What's with all the natural disasters lately..
Cant help but feel like its all a buildup to something...
2012 may prove to be interesting after all.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

honolulu international airport would be severely damaged, it sits right at sea level.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
The fact the Pacific Basin is significantly large shouldn't make you think the energy displacement will be dissipated anymoreso. Although amplically it will be, but from the lateral movement the wave following the P-Wave trigger direction of the quake will continue as it pleases.

If you actually look at a map of the Pacific, you will even see there's nothing between Japan and the Eastboard US. There is Hawaii, however even I was fooled by just how low in latitude the placement of these islands are. If Hawaii was in the way though, such effects as 'eddies', amplification, displacement would have only exacerbated the wave in height.

wwwx.spc.int...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
More quakes in Hawai'i, just felt another one.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Does anyone remember what the magnitude that hit last year around Chile and set off Hawaii warnings?
Cause I'm think that since last year was such a damn circus with all that and nothing happened that the people of Hawaii could not tke this seriously and think it's going to be just like last year and nothing happen..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Tweeted an hour ago by a Japanese government official. No idea what the situation is now though or even if he was right :

Gov't taking precautionary measures for Fukushima I nuclear power plant. No radioactive leakage. Not need for residents nearby to evacuate.

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Ok, about the nuclear power plant, reactor 1 from Fukushima automatically went off went the earthquake struck, the problem is they didn't have electricity to cool it off, even the diesel power supply malfunctioned, so they had to use emergency power supplies. But now they are bringing power generating machines to keep it juiced so I won't worry to much about it. No radiation leaks in case you were worried.

This is from a friend in Japan!

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join