It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 255
<< 252  253  254    256  257  258 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by shockedonlooker
reply to post by Hermes8

Thanks for looking and your reply. Below is a MUCH better quality video and I don't see flashes. Unfortunately the blast looks worse in this one imo

【HD】Japan Tohoku Earthquake NEWS FLASH hydrogen explosion [LIVE]

You have too look @ 54 seconds, big lumps that are heavy come down... Like the roof or something... That could cause big damage...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

pretty drastic before and after photos of Japan in this link. Just amazing how powerful mother nature is and how we don't control a damn thing on this planet

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
1100: Thanks for following the latest developments in Japan with the BBC. If you've just joined us, here's a quick update: Following Friday's devastating magnitude 8.9 earthquake and tsunami, there has been a second explosion at the earthquake-damaged Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan. The blast at the Number 3 reactor sent a huge column of smoke into the air. Eleven people were injured, one of them seriously. Officials say two other reactors have developed problems with their cooling systems, but add there's been no significant radiation leak at the plant.

1104: Amid the global fallout of Japan's nuclear crisis, Switzerland has suspended plans to replace its ageing nuclear power plants, stressing that safety is its top priority, AFP reports.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
daiichi reactor 2 has lost all its water some 10 minutes ago. Japanese TBS people call it more serious than reactor 1 or 3 situation was.

edit on 14-3-2011 by inthemistandfog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

No it is true, escue workers found them, this is being reported on Sky News. My hear aches everytime i hear the numbersof bodies being found.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Not sure where to post this.

Kyodo news are reporting fully exposed fuel rods in number 2 plant. Source
edit on 14/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by inthemistandfog
daiichi reactor 2 has lost all its water some 10 minutes ago. Japanese TBS people call it more serious than reactor 1 or 3 situation was.

edit on 14-3-2011 by inthemistandfog because: (no reason given)

Yeah. I saw that on the news just now. They said the rods are now exposed and water is lost. Sounds very serious. Looks like some type of meltdown is possible.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
they got water back in to the plant 2. However the pressure is reaching its limits.. going to release radioactive steam

YEah, I guess this should be posted at the other thread, but I thought posting here, since this stuff has been posted here all along aswell anyway

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The same source (Kyodo) is now reporting that there is 30cms of water back into the reactor.

I seem to recall a diagram of this particular reactor system, and my recollection is that the fuel rods are 150cm long. If this is the case, or at least if I'm wrong can somebody put me right, how effective would that level of water coolant be?

Also, given that the control rods are presumably in place, so therefore prompt fission is presumably not an issue, how long would it take for an uncooled fuel rod to heat up from, say 100C to 1000C?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Rods appear to be partially-exposed. Seems they are having a hard time keeping water in it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
YokosoNews

Listen up here folks...

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
More details what I posted few moments ago..

TBS just had a brief report saying 号機の水位再び上昇 which just means that the water level is again in the rise. They are reporting other news at the moment. So I guess they are struggling with that like above posters say ^^

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
News conference in English
link

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
www.ustream.tv...

this is the one i am watching, translation as they are speaking
i havent slept yet so it a little hard to follow (well for me at least)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Fuel rods at the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant's No. 2 reactor were fully exposed at one point after its cooling functions failed, the plant operator said Monday, indicating the critical situation of the reactor's core beginning to melt due to overheating.

The rods were exposed as a fire pump to pour seawater into the reactor to cool it down ran out of fuel, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said. The firm had reported the loss of cooling functions as an emergency to the government.

TEPCO said water levels later recovered to cover 30 centimeters in the lower parts of the fuel rods.

The seawater injection operation started at 4:34 p.m., but water levels in the No. 2 reactor have since fallen sharply with only one out of five fire pumps working. The other four were feared to have been damaged by a blast that occurred in the morning at the nearby No. 3 reactor.

The utility firm said a hydrogen explosion at the nearby No. 3 reactor that occurred Monday morning may have caused a glitch in the cooling system of the No. 2 reactor.

Similar cooling down efforts have been taken at the plant's No. 1 and No. 3 reactors and explosions occurred at both reactors in the process, blowing away the roofs and walls of the buildings that house the reactors.

It is feared that the No. 2 reactor will follow the same path. To prevent a possible hydrogen explosion at the No. 2 reactor, TEPCO said it will look into opening a hole in the wall of the building that houses the reactor to release hydrogen.

The company has also begun work to depressurize the containment vessel of the No. 2 reactor by releasing radioactive steam, the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said. Such a step is necessary to prevent the vessel from sustaining damage and losing its critical containment function.

With only one fire pump working, TEPCO is placing priority on injecting water into the No. 2 reactor, although both the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors still need coolant water injections, according to the agency.

The blast earlier in the day injured 11 people but the reactor's containment vessel was not damaged, with the government dismissing the possibility of a large amount of radioactive material being dispersed, as radiation levels did not jump after the explosion.

TEPCO said seven workers at the site and four members of the Self-Defense Forces were injured. Of the 11, two were found to have been exposed to radiation and are receiving treatment.

Since the magnitude 9.0 quake hit northeastern Japan last Friday, some reactors at the Fukushima No. 1 plant have lost their cooling functions, leading to brief rises in radiation levels.

As a result, the cores of the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors have partially melted.

The government ordered residents within a 20-kilometer radius of the plant to evacuate Saturday in the wake of the initial blast at the plant's No. 1 reactor. A total of 483 people are still attempting to leave the area, according to the nuclear agency.

The agency ruled out the possibility of broadening the area subject to the evacuation order for now.

==Kyodo

from kyodo news
edit on 14-3-2011 by scoobyrob because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Quick question for those of you watching seismic data with GEE.

It all seems quite calm at the moment, but amongst the odd longer-lasting what I assume are slight rumbles (only just making double digits in microns per second) are slight, almost transient spikes.

In fact, looking at one now, timed at 12:40 and 47 seconds or thereabouts hitting up to 40 microns/sec. Very short lived, and with no "build up" or "release" that I would expect with a quake.

Any ideas? Something local disturbing the sensor (UI MAJO) or something more ominous?

edit on 14-3-2011 by Lozzo because: Exact timing of the spike

top topics

<< 252  253  254    256  257  258 >>

join