It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 231
<< 228  229  230    232  233  234 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
And this post is to that kid who cant figure out about why robots are not being used.

They used robots at Chernobyl... the robots circuits were fried by the radiation. So they had to send in soldiers to take out the debris by HAND. They wore lead plates and could only go in and do 50 seconds of work before needing to be replaced. 500,000 soldiers were used... ALL of them suffered radiation damage.

Pray that this doesn't get to that point

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Fine, I'll just talk about the nukes here, then:

Reuters: U.S. nuclear regulatory commission says Hawaii, U.S. west coast not expected to suffer harmful levels of radiation from Japan

*ETA: note the word "HARMFUL" levels and not "no radiation fallout" or the like.
edit on 13-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Things to know about Cesium-137, “IF” there is a complete meltdown and release into the environment

(also spelled, Caesium)

Where does cesium-137 come from?
Radioactive cesium-137 is produced when uranium and plutonium absorb neutrons and undergo fission. Examples of the uses of this process are nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons.

What is the half life?
The half-life of cesium-137 is 30 years. Because of the chemical nature of cesium, it moves easily through the environment. This makes the cleanup of cesium-137 difficult.

How do people come in contact with cesium-137?
Walking on contaminated soil could result in external exposure to gamma radiation. People may ingest cesium-137 with food and water, or may inhale it as dust. It is distributed fairly uniformly throughout the body’s soft tissues. Exposure may also be external (that is, exposure to its gamma radiation from outside the body).

How can cesium-137 affect people’s health?
Exposure to radiation from cesium-137 results in increased risk of cancer. If exposures are very high, serious burns, and even death, can result. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says everyone is exposed to minute amounts of cesium-137. The average annual dose in the Northern Hemisphere is less than 1 millirem annually. That falls below the 100 millirem exposure limit the Nuclear Regulatory Commission recommends.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
*ETA: note the word "HARMFUL" levels and not "no radiation fallout" or the like

Harmful is relative... as radiation dosage is accumulative. We can take a fair bit before it does any serious damage. It depends on how long the exposure is and how many particles are deposited.

But they lied about Chernobyl... it wasn't for years after that we found out just how much got into the air. And so far they are still talking problems in THREE reactors...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

No three seperate sites, one of which has two reactor problems= four reactor emergencies! I just hope they can maintain cooling on all the other potential problem reactors!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
No three seperate sites, one of which has two reactor problems= four reactor emergencies! I just hope they can maintain cooling on all the other potential problem reactors!

Wasn't aware of the other sites... I was referring to reactor 1 2 and 3 at the site that blew the top of #1... from the latest report at NHK a few minutes ago.

They have what 42 reactor along that coast? That is a scary thought if they get a bigger one closer in

edit on 13-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Why isnt this thread on the front page of ATS anymore? Probably why its getting hardly any replies!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Meh you are right! That makes 5 problem reactors then :/

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I know this is a little insensitive, but, if there were a god and he exercised natural karma, then this could be argued as an example.

The Japanese are notorious for there over fishing. In particular the mass killing of whales, dolphins, and sharks

Yes, this is the way of the Japanese who have lived on the Pacific and taken from the Pacific to thrive and survive.

As an ebb & flow scenario would go an action may have a reaction. The ocean has claimed back it's losses with a massive flow.

I know it is ludicrous and insane to say that but if god did exist and did watch the brutality commited by the Japanese to the members of the oceans it could be atleast a thought

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This morning I heard a report on MSNBC that there were some problems with a reactor in TOKYO, but I haven't found anything about it since. Was I dreaming, or was there an issue?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
reply to post by zorgon

Meh you are right! That makes 5 problem reactors then :/

Yeah just heard about the experimental one, using plutonium as fuel and THAT one seems to be a main concern

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

So what will be your karmic payback for posting such a disgusting thing at a time when innocent people who have never done anything wrong are suffering?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by ADUB77

So what will be your karmic payback for posting such a disgusting thing at a time when innocent people who have never done anything wrong are suffering?

I haven't done anything wrong, I didn't cause the earthquake

It's merely a hypothetical, as in "if" god existed and he exercised natural karma then one could conclude that "over fishing" was the action to cause this reaction

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADUB77
I know it is ludicrous and insane to say that but if god did exist and did watch the brutality commited by the Japanese to the members of the oceans it could be atleast a thought

Look at other countries and what they've done in the past, half the world would be underwater if karma was carried out like that. Think about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
update on twitter

@Quakeprediction Earthquake Forecasts
50 HOUR WARNING; 4.0 to 5.8 earthquake likely within 80 miles of San Jose and/or Julian, CA ; www.quakeprediction.com...
8 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura

Look at other countries and what they've done in the past, half the world would be underwater if karma was carried out like that. Think about it.

Maybe it is happening right now to a lot of countries

I did not say America or Britain were free from god's karma, "if" god exists

A massive earthquake at NM could theoretically be argued as god's will for our drilling of oil

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

1)There are plenty of threads on this board for discussing how much you loathe Japan and how you think it deserves this suffering; this one is for breaking news

2)Don't try to hide behind "I was just speaking hypothetically". It's perfectly clear how you feel. Own your words.

3)Do you have any news about the quake or questions about quake news to contribute? Other than judgment about the victims?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I haven't done anything wrong, I didn't cause the earthquake

Hey, if we're all connected like many people are starting to believe, and duality is an illusion, then we ALL caused it! Would rather think of your head hurting with that one than with the daft things you've just been posting about.

new topics

top topics

<< 228  229  230    232  233  234 >>

join