It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 203
<< 200  201  202    204  205  206 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

I actually agree with that. Chances are there will not be another big tsunami threat there without another big quake. High tides and low tides can play a big part too. A foot and a half wave coming in on high tide in unprotected areas would likely dramatically hurt rescue efforts. I do not believe much more structural damage would be done but the rescue is what is important at this point.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by premierepastimes
reply to post by Versa

Though ATS is generally not about MSM information, this is kind of a special case and any info is relevant at this point, even if it does end up being a rumor. A lot of people have loved ones there and many of us have loved ones in the service that are heading there now. Sorting through the junk could take forever but that is the responsibility of ATS members.(I mean, that is kind of what we do here right?)

yes i agree this is a special case, its almost unheard of....

All I was trying to say was.... Can we please have some evidence (ie links etc) of what your saying.... Just reporting what someone is hearing on CNN isnt helping anyone... I do have a computer and a TV... If I wanted CNN updates I could just leave this site and get them..... Constant updates about what CNN is saying isnt doing anything for me or a lot of other people.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaganArchangel
From what I understand, it is still winter there. They are talking around 40F in the daytime and just below freezing at night - these people are going to have exposure problems. To live out in those temps without benefit of four solid walls of some type is really very tough under the best of circumstances (I know this from personal experience and my situation at the time was tons better than what these folks are dealing with)..
My heart goes out to these people, I hope search and rescue are able to get to as many as they can

I know this is old wives tale stuff, but I have lived there as well as Korea, China and Taiwan. I can tell you that I would rather be in -40f in N. America than even -10f in those places. Go inside and you can get warm if you live in Northern Saskatchewan at -40. You can't get warm in -10 if you're in Japan. It actually hurts to be so cold sometimes.

Japan, Korea and Taiwan especially, it is BONE chilling cold! Yes, it's the humidity. When it's winter, you can't get warm. Ever!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am posting this information again as I feel it is important enough to do so.

The Caesium that was traced and confirmed the melt down in reactor 1 was iether Caesium 137 or 132. They have a decay rate of 30 years and 2 years respectively....This is a quote from wiki..

The isotopes 134 and 137 (present in the biosphere in small amounts from radiation leaks) represent a radioactivity burden which varies depending on location. Radiocaesium does not accumulate in the body as effectively as many other fission products (such as radioiodine and radiostrontium).

As with other alkali metals, radiocaesium washes out of the body relatively quickly in sweat and urine. However, radiocaesium follows potassium and tends to accumulate in plant tissues, including fruits and vegetables. Accumulation of caesium-137 in lakes has been a high concern after the Chernobyl disaster. Experiments with dogs showed that a single dose of 3800 μCi (4.1 μg of caesium-137) per kilogram is lethal within three weeks

smaller amounts may cause infertility and cancer. The International Atomic Energy Agency and other sources have warned that radioactive materials, such as caesium-137, could be used in radiological dispersion devices, or “dirty bombs”

This is what is leaking due to the meltdown.

Respects

Link
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 12-3-2011 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
newest tolls:

# 0030: Nearly 900 people were killed as a result of the earthquake and tsunami, Japanese national police say.

# 0058: More on those casualty figures from national police: 642 people are also reported missing, with 1,570 injured. The death toll does not include up to 300 bodies found in Sendai, AFP news agency notes.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Too much info IS put up without sources. It's sad though because I have gotten so tired of being berated by other members that I have quit putting up ANY info that I receive if I do not have a web link. Whether it's on the tube, radio, or word-of-mouth I won't even post. I don't know what kind of source people would want when I say "I saw on CNN and I heard on FOX." FOX and CNN would be the sources. It seems like people(not you in particular) are just far too lazy to do any research without a direct link. Even if I get linked to a source from somebody else's post, let's say to CNN, I do not take that CNN link at face value, I research the topic until I have a good understanding of originating sources, main ideas, opposing ideas, etc. Under this policy, if somebody asks a question and I know the answer, but don't know how I got the answer I need to just keep my mouth shut. SILLY

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Third reactor in danger of overheating, chief Cabinet secretary says #quake on.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

# 0106: The director general of the UN nuclear watchdog (IAEA), Yukiya Amano, says he hopes the actions taken by the Japanese authorities at the power plant will be successful: "The IAEA was informed by the Japanese authorities that the explosion occurred outside the primary containment vessel at unit one and the integrity of that vessel is confirmed. The IAEA has been informed that sea water with boron is being injected into the vessel as a counter-measure to prevent possible damage to the core. I hope that the sea water will be injected successfully and that the safety of unit one will be established as soon as possible."

link   
reply to post by jude11

Yes, South Korean cold fronts generally come through SIberia(NO SOURCE, Look it up yourselves). I assume it's the same weather patterns for Japan.

link   
US troops & USS Ronald Regan arrive in Japan

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
As I live in northern Japan, I just wanted to take the time to say just how impressed I am with most of the posters' compassion and maturity here on ATS regarding this tragic event. Very impressed. A big thumbs-up to all of you. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

# 0106: The director general of the UN nuclear watchdog (IAEA), Yukiya Amano, says he hopes the actions taken by the Japanese authorities at the power plant will be successful: "The IAEA was informed by the Japanese authorities that the explosion occurred outside the primary containment vessel at unit one and the integrity of that vessel is confirmed. The IAEA has been informed that sea water with boron is being injected into the vessel as a counter-measure to prevent possible damage to the core. I hope that the sea water will be injected successfully and that the safety of unit one will be established as soon as possible."

Their integrity is going faster than a free burger at McDs. Why isnt anyone asking these spokespeople why they are all reading from a diffirent page?

By the way did you note I found the answer to what caesium it was that was mentioned as the " Absolute proof" of a meltdown in reactor 1...

Respects

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva

Their integrity is going faster than a free burger at McDs. Why isnt anyone asking these spokespeople why they are all reading from a diffirent page?

By the way did you note I found the answer to what caesium it was that was mentioned as the " Absolute proof" of a meltdown in reactor 1...

Respects

Yes, I starred you for it. Quite unnerving.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

N. Korea breaks silence on quake disaster in Japan BEIJING, March 12, Kyodo North Korea's official media on Saturday evening ran its first report about Friday' powerful earthquake that devastated northeastern Japan, saying it threw many parts of the country into ''great confusion.'' The official Korean Central News Agency reported on the quake and tsunami disaster in a factual manner without the harsh criticisms of the Japanese government that characterize its reports about the country. It cited foreign news reports in summarizing the damage caused to northeastern Japan. ==Kyodo

imagine living somewhere where you didnt even know this had happened.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

We're all human, and whether we admit it or not we ARE a global society these days. What happens in Egypt affects what happens in England affects what happens in Japan affects what happens in the U.S.; and so on. We're all here on this rock together.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

# 0115: Reporting live from Tokyo, the BBC's Chris Hogg says nuclear safety has always been a sensitive issue in a country so prone to earthquakes and the government is anxious not to cause unnecessary panic.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Another 19 people may have been exposed to radiation from Fukushima reactor - JIJI News Agency

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
49 nations offer aid - food to nuclear expertise - to Japan #quake on.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Notice how in the model of the direction the waves that hit Oregon/California coast made a 35 to 45 degree turn, and then follows the under water mountain ridge. Just looks strange.
May some of the learned here explain how that happens.

Google earth does not show that area where the wave turns towards Oregon/California coast to have a bottom that would cause such. Then at the mountain ridge it follows it.

edit on 3/12/2011 by MarcusMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

# 0115: Reporting live from Tokyo, the BBC's Chris Hogg says nuclear safety has always been a sensitive issue in a country so prone to earthquakes and the government is anxious not to cause unnecessary panic.

Exactly. Not only that.. the Japanese culture is all about saving face and handling things internally, which there is nothing wrong with that.

My biggest fear about the plant issues is that they would wait too long to ask for outside assistance... should they already need it.

Resorting to pumping in seawater to the reactor already seems like a last ditch effort on its own.

top topics

<< 200  201  202    204  205  206 >>

join