It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 197
<< 194  195  196    198  199  200 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
New report on CNN

In Shirakawa, Japan a massive landslide swallowed homes and buried 13 people alive including some children. Rescuers are working furiously in hopes these people were inside their homes and are able to be saved. No one yet found alive.

edit on 3/12/2011 by Whisper67 because: typo

link   

Originally posted by onthelookout
reply to post by pez1975

Potassium Iodide

Kelp, I've heard, is a suitable substitue if no Potassium Iodide. It contains naturally occurring iodine.

I don't believe it is as good when protecting oneself from radiation. But I'm sure it's better than nothing.

Since kelp is a natural source of iodine, it is absorbed by your body more slowly and safely than chemical iodine is. For people that are allergic to chemical iodine, kelp is an ideal alternative.

Source: www.healthylivinganswers.com...

Slow and safe is not what you want in my opinion.

link   
25 hours into rescue efforts and not one person found - cnn

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
they are downplaying this so american aid does not pull out.

No one is downplaying the tsunami and earthquake!

The US will not pull out aid even if these reactors melt down or not...

There is enough destruction already, the reactors melting down is
now a way to keep people glued..

Lets see what happens, everyone should stay CALM, COOL, and Collective..

Panicking does not help it spreads disinfo...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

# 2326: The Japanese cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, has been speaking on state TV. He said the third reactor at the Fukushima No. I plant was in danger but attempts were under way for a controlled release of air.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
AlBoeNEWS Al Boe
BULLETIN -- RESIDENTS IN JAPAN REPORT MAJOR AFTERSHOCK HAPPENING NOW
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

they are downplaying this so american aid does not pull out.

No one is downplaying the tsunami and earthquake!

The US will not pull out aid even if these reactors melt down or not...

There is enough destruction already, the reactors melting down is
now a way to keep people glued..

Lets see what happens, everyone should stay CALM, COOL, and Collective..

Panicking does not help it spreads disinfo...

There are problems with three reactors. This is beyond a ratings attempt.

link   
Im sure that what we are hearing from those who are giving out the news is actually hours old. By the time they meet to discuss each terrible step in this calamity, then agree to decide what to say, the news is old news.

When they did not try to contain the core with air dropped concrete earlier this morning, it had to be because it was too late and the melt down had already started.

Yet again the fate of humanity is decided by those who think they are gods to tell us what and when. We realy need to get a grip on our planet. Before its too late !

Respects
edit on 12-3-2011 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
Im sure that what we are hearing from those who are giving out the news is actually hours old. By the time they meet to discuss each terrible step in this calamity, then agree to decide what to say, the news is old news.

When they did not try to contain the core with air dropped concrete earlier this morning, it had to be because it was too late and the melt down had already started.

Yet again the fate of humanity is decided by those who think they are gods to tell us what and when. We realy need to get a grip on our planet. Before its too late !

Respects
edit on 12-3-2011 by captiva because: (no reason given)

You are absolutely right. As Ive said, i told you all it was melting down at about 2:30 am pacific last night. They didnt come out and say it, but when cesium was detected it was fairly obvious. I imagine the #3 is worse off than they are saying
edit on 12-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
worrying if quake keep happening near reactor cause wouldn't be any solution if it reap the structure.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by drakus

Am I understanding that chart correctly? There have been 85 4-5 magnitude quakes in Honshu only today?

I didn't count them, but probably, yes, there have been MANY (ie hundreds if not thousands) aftershocks since the 8.9

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Japan floods damaged reactor
as nuclear core partially melts

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I told you there was gonna be a meltdown and it was ignored..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Yup Ive been lurking along since then staying informed. When I saw that explosion I knew it was serious. When I finally got a STRATFOR email about the meltdown being confirmed I was almost flabbergasted that the Japanese government had been either misinformed or using delay tactics all day
edit on 12-3-2011 by deutschbag because: typo

link   
cnn says 200 aftershocks above 5. 50 above 4. plus 6.3 and 7.2 and
experts say expect 7.9 aftershock to occur

link   

Misleading. I've seen numerous video's on nhk of people being rescued from rooftops amidst Tsunami devastation, although from the higher-built buildings. Only a handful of people, but it's still some.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD

Misleading. I've seen numerous video's on nhk of people being rescued from rooftops amidst Tsunami devastation, although from the higher-built buildings. Only a handful of people, but it's still some.

I think he was refering to same report I posted about regarding the landslide.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Right. Trying to recall all this from the depths of my (albeit slightly scanty) physics education..

First of all, any explosion will be thermal/chemical in nature, not nuclear. Something that is hundreds of Celsius hitting water, pressure type explosion. Hydrogen gas released and igniting type explosion I imagine. That kind of thing.

Nuclear reaction explosions are rather hard to ignite and set off properly, you see, hence all the work and fiddling that had to go into making what was a rather inefficient nuclear weapon back in '45.

Thing is, with a chain reaction of that type, you firstly need the proper fuel. U-235 or Pu-241 being the fuels of choice for fission bombs. Then, you need to squeeze the living hell out of it to bring it to criticality, a neutron initiator in the middle to give and extra kick of neutrons under the pressure of a perfectly symmetrical pressure wave in order to kick the whole thing off all encased within a rather heavy tamper material to attempt to keep the nuclear material together long enough to get a decent kick out of the whole thing before it blows itself apart.

All this needs to combine perfectly to make an explosion of even 1 or 2 kt, let alone the 18kt or so that first darkened the minds of man in '45.

So, as you can imagine from the above, the chance of an actual nuclear explosion, in the classic "flaming death, mushroom cloud" form is quite remote in this situation..

If I remember rightly, anyway......

Just looking at GEE as I'm typing this, looks like a potentially sizable aftershock was picked up at around 23:27 UTC.

Poor sods, they've suffered enough.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Well let's all sing your praise!

Seriously, we've been discussing reactor melt down for the last 24 hours.

We all knew it was going to melt down and there are other reactors in danger of meltdown now.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
more tsunami's expected for japan -cnn

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but want to get it 'out there' It is related to the Japanese Earthquake/tsunami/meltdown but it is about our kids.

I have been amazed at the talk among children and teens on sites like cosplay and youtube about this.
I had a talk with my 15 year old who it turns out has been doing a teen version of what we are doing HERE on the young preteen/teen sites he visits.

See, just want to remind people that the Japanese are very loved by American youth in a particular way. We worry about our oil and our various big people problems, but children worry about the people that make and produce their games, cartoons, books, movies, Pokemon cards, ect. Play is children's business, and kids are taking this seriously.

It's really amazing to see these boards so lit up with such serious talk among kids. I talked to my son and he was very up on stuff- these kids are amazing when it comes to social networking - better than us even. Anyway, just want to remind folks to talk to their kids - it is OBVIOUS from their sites that they are wanting and needing to talk about this.

new topics

top topics

<< 194  195  196    198  199  200 >>

join