It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 196
<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

I said please calm down...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
One question, if the meltdown happens would the plant explode like a bomb? with mushroom cloud and all?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Key words there ... WITHIN an installation.

Bad situation, yes. But the cause of the release can still be brought under control.

Will it? I doubt it at this point. But a level 4 on that scale and mass release of radioactive materials outside of the reactor's containment are mutually exclusive.

Just keep on keepin' an eye on the info we can get ...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If/When this is confirmed, does that mean that the time it would take to get across the Pacific began when the explosion happened? So it could already be on it's way.

btw, I'm asking this in a curious, calm manner.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by MindSpin
So hypothetically...the fuel melts throught the containment floor and enters the ground....then what?

Does it just keep melting through the ground?

I'm ignorant to the effects of meltdowns...so any info would help.
edit on 12-3-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

Again, its all conjecture. There would likely be an explosion, after that, no one knows for sure.

Could you explain why exactly there would be an explosion?

I was under the impression that there wouldn't be an explosion.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavannahJane
Does anyone know where Japan's higher ups are at? It should be telling if they are in a bunker somewhere.

They have probably left the country to China or South Korea

link   
Monday into Tuesday the US Geiger counters on the Western US Seaboard will start to be registering the first particles of whatever was expelled from this plant, we'll then get a good indication of what's going on not only in terms of just how much has been released into the atmosphere. But also what kind of activity is going on in that reactor, the Japanese know this and are just buying time.

link   
INES Level 4: Accident with local consequences

Impact on People and the Environment
Minor release of radioactive material unlikely to result in implementation of planned countermeasures other than local food controls.
At least one death from radiation.

Impact on Radiological Barriers and Control
Fuel melt or damage to fuel ­resulting in more than 0.1% release of core inventory.
Release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high ­probability of significant public exposure.

That's from Wiki.

To compare, 3 mile island was a level 5, so we're not quite there yet, but not out of the woods.

Just want to give people some comfort that the state of emergency has not been upgraded yet, so right now the effects are still local.

~Namaste
edit on 12-3-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

So hypothetically...the fuel melts throught the containment floor and enters the ground....then what?

Does it just keep melting through the ground?

I'm ignorant to the effects of meltdowns...so any info would help.
edit on 12-3-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

Again, its all conjecture. There would likely be an explosion, after that, no one knows for sure.

Could you explain why exactly there would be an explosion?

I was under the impression that there wouldn't be an explosion.

Well, if material escapes and comes in contact with water, there would be a steam explosion. It is possible that the material could be contained in the reactor, which would prevent explosion, but its also quite possible it gets out if the reactor is breached at all.

At least thats what i understand from what I have been reading.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoSpace

Originally posted by SavannahJane
Does anyone know where Japan's higher ups are at? It should be telling if they are in a bunker somewhere.

They have probably left the country to China or South Korea

Thank you. I was just wondering where they were at in all this mess and mayhem.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I've been following this thread & first off, I'd like to say thank you to all the people putting up new info as they come upon it. With that said, I feel like we are being placated by much of the US media and governments to believe that this situation is under control when it is not. I pray I'm wrong, but fear that I am not.

I readily admit that I know little about how Nuclear Power works, I have no clue what could happen if the reactor(s) are/is actually melting down. What I do know is that I'm concerned for the people that could die because no one is willing to give solid answers.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

in a nut shell
2000+ degree fuel hitting groundwater.....explosive type reaction

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by onthelookout

Russian scientists from our FEMA analogue are saying in the worst case scenario the cloud will move west towards the US but will be dispersed halfway over the ocean. Adjacent countries (i.e. Koreas, China, Taiwan and Russia) will not suffer.Then again, maybe they are saying that to calm down the population.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
what meds do i need to buy again please?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

Potassium Iodide

Kelp, I've heard, is a suitable substitue if no Potassium Iodide. It contains naturally occurring iodine.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
My understanding is that there will not be an explosion. Nor a mushroom cloud as you see when a nuclear bomb is detonated.

A meltdown may be under way at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors, an official with Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency told CNN Sunday.

A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release. However, Toshiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, expressed confidence that efforts to control the crisis would prove successful.

Meanwhile, a second reactor at the same facility failed shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday, the Tokyo Electric Power Company said, according to TV Asahi. The power company said it was having difficulty cooling the reactor and may need to release radioactive steam in order to relieve pressure.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

Regarding the second reactor, isn't this exactly what they said yesterday about the one that now may be completely melting down?

I was also under the impression that as the radioactive material is released into the air it travels much like a cloud. A contaminated cloud, of course. It then gradually disperses as it moves through the jet stream.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
it is always about downplaying the dangers always about stoping panic until it can't be denied anylonger it's sad the goverments of the world like to decide what we need to know . they would rather stop panic than warn people who could use that warning calmly to protect thier family.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Am I understanding that chart correctly? There have been 85 4-5 magnitude quakes in Honshu only today?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
15 near Fukushima nuclear plant exposed to radiation - Kyodo News

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

US nuclear experts warn that pumping sea water to cool a quake-hit Japanese nuclear reactor is an "act of desperation" that may foreshadow a Chernobyl-like disaster, AFP reports. "The situation has become desperate enough that they apparently don't have the capability to deliver fresh water or plain water to cool the reactor and stabilise it, and now, in an act of desperation, are having to resort to diverting and using sea water," said Robert Alvarez, who works on nuclear disarmament at the Institute for Policy Studies.

new topics

top topics

<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join