It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 177
<< 174  175  176    178  179  180 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

I would say that most of the pressure that caused the big quake has dissipated. And only aftershocks remain. I did not read any news or findings from professors to indicate that there is something out of the ordinary or something that does not happen so often when quakes hit.

Are you saying if it is possible for an other quake of the same magnitude? maybe wiki pedia is enough , maybe search for plate tectonics?
edit on 12-3-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: Man when i'm in these speedy threads I can really see i'm dutch
messing up to often.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jonibelle

Okay, fine. Then don't say a word while I post a bunch of old crap and oft-repeated "news." Just deal with it, right?

Hey, guess what? The radiation levels at the nuclear plant are 1,000 times normal! OMG!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Japan already confirmed that new earthquake could possible hit in the next day. And it´s expected to be stronger than the first one. March 15 anyone?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Wow, this just in: Japan has evacuated the area around the reactors!

NYT (at least I have a link, right?)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
CNN has a page on how you can help Japan.
CNN Impact your world

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by kroms33

Off-topic. Been on this thread and the nuclear one since they began. Don't need to justify my comments to you. Stop reporting 24-hour-old news.

Buh bye.

May be worth your while going back to read the T&C's ... ATS frowns upon needless rudeness aimed at fellow members ... as a 'new' member we'll assume you didn't bother to read them properly the first time (if at all) but if you don't abide by them your stay will be incredibly short.

I think the topic at hand deserves the posters to show manners and decorum in their contributions ... and not be allowed to go off topic with petty / pointless comments ... this is a long thread and I'm sure some people will be happy for some points to be repeated.

Please play nice and let the thread continue on the subject of the tragedy continuing to unfold in Japan.

Woody

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
With regards to donations, and I know this may be a sensitive issue, but I don't believe that
the Japanese government is completely financially unprepared for this.

With a GDP of 5.07 Trillion $, there are more than capable of taking care of the necessary aid.
However, before I get flamed for being disconnected from reality, I am aware that this was not the
case with Haiti (GDP +/- 1000x less than japan (6.47 Billion $) or even indonesia
(GDP 540,27 Billion $).

My point is, if you are a bleeding heart, encourage actual, physical aid. Don't be a bleeding heart
made from paper money.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

Thanks for the info. I've been looking. I found this:

Will there be aftershocks?

Regular aftershocks have already hit Japan as the Earth's crust continues to rupture along the Japan trench. Those tremors are expected to be weaker and are less likely to produce another tsunami. The release of energy along the subduction zone between the Pacific and North Atlantic plates will transfer stress to other parts of the faultline, which could easily generate more earthquakes in the region in coming months.

Source:www.guardian.co.uk...

Of course they speculate that the majority of the energy has been released, but is that just speculation, or they have solid proof?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Please stop. No one is really interested in whatever nonsense you are spewing. I see you are new and not a mod so you don't have the authority to dictate who can post what. If you have a problem, I suggest you take it up with a mod and not post even more worthless garbage in this thread.

To all the other contributors in this thread. Thank you for keeping us up to date on all the details of this disaster.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by stygmartyrZA

I was reading something similar, that Japan has actually needed a good reason to pump public-works cash into their economy for a while now, and this will actually be a great reason for them to screw with their economy. Crappy situation, but it looks like they'll be able to make the most of it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perfectenemy

Japan already confirmed that new earthquake could possible hit in the next day. And it´s expected to be stronger than the first one. March 15 anyone?

Really? I'm looking for a source on that. Do you have any source available? I remember the New Zealand earthquake prior to this. It lay on a previously unknown fault line. Wondering if the two had anything to do with one another?
New Zealand Earthquake

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Basically, there was a thread in the breaking news about a nuclear explosion at the plant that was in meltdown mode, and where the elements only in the rods were detected leaked. The explosion would be breaking news.

But the moderator closed the thread and said there were already too many threads on the subject on ATS, and linked this one, which is supposed to be about the earth quakes.

So, this is the one we're supposed to talk about it on.

Now, why is nuclear even allowed as a power alternative. All of them are at the coast for the ocean water coolant. WOW. That means they could have built huge WAVE and TIDE plants instead. Eh!
edit on 12-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
NVM, by the time I had typed this the question was answered.
edit on 12/3/2011 by Kryties because: Deleted old post

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

That's crazy, because there's a big nuclear-emergency thread that would better cover the subject! link Lots of good minds in there, too.

ETA: meaning it's crazy that we were referred to this thread and not the nuclear one.
edit on 12-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
FYI,they expected the next "Big One" to hit SE of Japan near Tokyo,not the one now which hit NE. This was said numerous Times on different News Outlets and i if i remember right,even from the Japan Experts. So they may not be out of Danger yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Sorry, I will edit mine, since you edited yours...Excuse this waste of thread space. I apologize.
edit on 12-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 174  175  176    178  179  180 >>

join