It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 165
<< 162  163  164    166  167  168 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalenga
reply to post by chaosdefined

The compass is working and I have recorded the same data for over two and a half months now. The north reading remained constant on pointing north. Now it does'nt. Also on Thursday night I noted that the constellation Ursa Major, The Big Bear (The Big Dipper) was higher in the sky and the Polaris (North Pole Star) was off centre as it usually sits directly over.
These might be anecdotal observations but the Innuit tribes nowadays watch the skies and seasons and have noticed changes. The Mayans did not have instruments etc... and they have predicted all that is happening now.

Well, then I suppose congratulations are in order. Not only have you discovered a huge magnetic pole shift, you also discovered that the tilt of the earth's axis has changed significantly. I guess my compass is broken (also, the sun inexplicably came up in the right place this morning).
edit on 12-3-2011 by nghtshd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by S3ns1bl3

Just spent the last hour speaking to a friend of mine in Japan and according to him the situation there even though catastrophic seems to be under control. He said Japanese people are used to this sort of thing to some extent and the number of casualties even though huge still is pretty low for a island of it's size that has over 100 million habitants. He said there is nothing on the news there confirming any meltdown of any reactor. So far the only things confirmed on the local media was the explosion of one power plant, that there was some radiation leakage and the they increased the perimeter of evacuation as a precautionary measure, nothing else.

He also said most of the people that were not directly affected by the tragedy are already returning to their daily routines to the best of their abilities.

So it seems CNN is once again spreading news that so far can't be backed by any other sources. Nothing such as "reactor meltdown" on BBC, Reuters, etc.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Laurauk

What exactly does that mean, "failing"?

Good question. It's a "fault" so why wouldn't it be "failing"?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perfectenemy
Anything new about the next possible earthquake in Japan?

I don't think it has been scheduled yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
So I'm probably going to sound like an idiot here but...

How exactly does a continent attach to the earth, more specifically, Japan? I know about plates and what not, but is it attached by a lot of land or just floating there? What are the chances for this causing it to break free of its hold on earth? If that happens does it sink or float??

What brings this question on is the fact of all the videos of water seeping from the ground (www.youtube.com...) and the tearing of the land. Are those just water pipes exploding? I know this was gone over earlier, but this question wasn't asked. I've been following this thread for a very long time now!! I was getting info on here faster than the live feeds some times.

Great job everyone

edit on 12-3-2011 by birdVSworm because: To add video link! Added some text

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Anything new on the rupture off the earths crust as a result from this earthquake?

How is this going to effect the planet as a whole?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

I agree, According to the translation here : yokosonews.com...

What happened in the reactor is basically what C0bzz described in his post.

Basically a hidrogen build up in the concrete container caused the explosion, apparently the reactor is still intact and is being cooled, the extended evacutation range is becasue they are going to try & cool the reactor "in a way they havent done before" (I think the guy translating is having some issues with the technical jargon)
edit on 12-3-2011 by S3ns1bl3 because: spelling

edit on 12-3-2011 by S3ns1bl3 because: more spelling

edit on 12-3-2011 by S3ns1bl3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by nghtshd

Why do peeps on here take offence to anecdotal evidence? There are reports on people staying next to Yellowstone feeling shakes and tremors though it is not being recorded officially.
Do you believe them or are you going to need video, seismic readings etc... for you to believe them?
Sorry OP for this derailing as I am just fed up with snide, abusive replies when everyone's input is important.
I will not reply to any other slagging matches.....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by birdVSworm

Some of the videos, that I saw were showing cracks in a man-made area. Sorry, I don't know for sure if it was a separate island, or attached to the main island. Part of New York City was made in a similar way. They basically just throw a bunch of trash in, and cover it with rocks and dirt. I know I am not saying correct terms for this, but I am just giving the general concept. The video I was watching, where the ground was cracking, was on a man-made area, such as the way I described.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I thought I remembered that part of Japan was man made... but just wasn't sure. I wonder how stable a man made island like that can be?

link   
I have to say I needed the laugh I got after the isn't Japan just floating there post. That sounds mean, but it just tickled me, so thanks for that.

Islands don't float and they aren't tethered to the ocean floor or to tectonic plates. They are often built up from the sea floor by vulcanic means. Volcanos erupt under the ocean and the lava builds up as it cools and rock that is ejected builds up and that forms mountains that eventually breach the surface of the ocean and form islands as the process continues. They can also form where tectonic plates collide, and the crust is pushed up into mountains. Islands are solid ground from the top to the ocean floor and one cannot travel underneath them by way of the ocean. Islands can sink and disappear if the vulcanic forces and plate movements break apart the mountain they are sitting on, but they cannot slide off the "tether" and drift about in the ocean.

Islands very very close to land are usually just sandy prominences off the coast of somewhere else. Meaning, they are usually just giant sandbars that plants have grown on, or coral reefs that have built up and died off, like the Florida Keys.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Ceriddwen because: further info

link   
So i went to bed around page 119, about 12 hours ago. There was still some speculation about the effects of a meltdown, as they lost control of a couple of the reactors. Any new developments you can remember off of the top of your head?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Can't believe there actually going to put SEA WATER into the reactor to cool this thing down. Have they not heard of salt corrosion.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

The videographer of that video stated that the Japanese filled in part of Tokyo Bay to make that area and that it was looking (I agree based on the video footage) like it was liquefying and falling apart.

link   
Apologies if this has been covered - I read the 1st 47 pages after work last night, but haven't managed to catch up on the 100+ that have been added since.

I spotted that Japan had refused assistance from the USA - I've since scanned posts saying that they have sent (or are sending?) aid. Which is accurate? And if it's the former, has any statement been made as to why they would reject the offer?

I agree with whomever posted, dozens of pages back, about how our thoughts & intentions can create realities (I'm paraphrasing). Energy follows thought. It's heart-warming to note just how many people there are here who are projecting kind thoughts and positive protection for those poor people trapped in this nightmare.

link   
reply to post by birdVSworm

What??? Man made???

No

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Ah, okay. I stand corrected. I misunderstood another users post.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by birdVSworm
So I'm probably going to sound like an idiot here but...

How exactly does a continent attach to the earth, more specifically, Japan? I know about plates and what not, but is it attached by a lot of land or just floating there? What are the chances for this causing it to break free of its hold on earth? If that happens does it sink or float??

What brings this question on is the fact of all the videos of water seeping from the ground and the tearing of the land. I know this was gone over earlier, but this question wasn't asked. I've been following this thread for a very long time now!! I was getting info on here faster than the live feeds some times.

Great job everyone

RE: Continents. They aren't attached; they are part of the earth's crust--the large parts above sea level. The crust is made up of large plates "floating" on the heavier denser mantle material.

Google plate tectonics for more info and liquefaction for info on water seeping out of the ground.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Toffeeapple

For what I know is quite the opposite. The Japanese authorities have learned with the Kobe tragedy and this time around instantly asked for international help.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
Can't believe there actually going to put SEA WATER into the reactor to cool this thing down. Have they not heard of salt corrosion.

I'm not sure if that's a very good idea...

I was commercial fishing in Alaska and we had to fill the motor up with salt water because we were stranded in the middle of the ocean with nothing but salt water available, and that stuff almost burned the entire boat down. Scary times.

They should probably be using CLEAN water, not salt water...
edit on 12-3-2011 by xHybr1dx because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 162  163  164    166  167  168 >>

join