It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 164
<< 161  162  163    165  166  167 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Riff2525

one max dose per person. if you need more than that (have not evacuated), iodide cannot save you.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Not good, CNN just reported on the live feed there has in fact been a meltdown at Reactor #1.

Im sure there will be more info shortly.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by S3ns1bl3
Not good, CNN just reported on the live feed there has in fact been a meltdown at Reactor #1.

I didnt hear that and I have been drilled to this all night

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by S3ns1bl3

The Japanese prime minister just gave a live press conference saying that they are on top of the plant issue.. and not 1 person has been affected by the radiation.

Take that with a grain of salt at this point.. they are doing what they must to calm their nation and stopping adverse public reaction to this ongoing crisis.

Hopefully this will all turn out to be the case.. but its best to say everything is fine and hope to get things under control, rather than cause a public panic right off the bat.

We shall see.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I created a computer meltdown watching too much live stream stuff at once. Had to reboot.

I don't trust any MSM news outlet implicitly. I think it is important to report all news we hear and then find the middle ground. That is likely to be the truth. We did it with the Deepwater situation and countless other things. Japan has historically played down past nuclear events, some we never even heard about. I think things are worse than they are being reported, and I think that we need to keep eyes and ears open and look for the snippets of news that slip out. Those are the truths usually. Stopping someone 60km away is a sign of a meltdown. Stating that Japan has had its first meltdown. These are statements we need to keep in mind. These will have some truth to them.

Keep your eyes and ears open, keep reporting, stop attacking each other and let's work together to get the real truth out. We are really good at that here at ATS.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Chief Cabinet Secretary Edano says no large amount of radiation leakage is expected.
by Reuters_MarkKolmar at 5:44 AM

just saw this on Reuters live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ahimsa

Thank you Darlin for the info. Glad to see someones keeping it together.

Kram09

Ya ya ya eh I'm calm too . Your calm and I'm calm. Badwolfs calm. Were all just a gagle of cool lil cocktails

Cheers
edit on 12-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The fuel assemblies are made up of lots of fuel rods bunched together. The fuel rods are made from metallic Zirconium and inside are Uranium Dioxide pellets of fuel. If the reactor cannot be cooled adequately and the fuel gets too hot, eventually the Zirconium fuel cladding will react with the water in an exothermic reaction, raising the temperature even higher. Hydrogen gas is evolved from this reaction. Hydrogen gas is explosive especially in confined space like the containment building. Normally hydrogen should be recombined with oxygen forming water via hydrogen recombiners, if this does not occur a potentially dangerous mixture could occur. This is the only thing that I could think of that could possibly cause the reactor building to explode like that.

The part destroyed looks like the metal shroud at the top, whereas the actual containment is a concrete underneath structure underneath. If the explosion was from detonation of hydrogen gas that seeped upwards from the hot zirconium cladded fuel rods, then there's possibility that the containment isn't completely destroyed, hence hopefully most of the radiation will be contained.
edit on 12/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by chaosdefined

The compass is working and I have recorded the same data for over two and a half months now. The north reading remained constant on pointing north. Now it does'nt. Also on Thursday night I noted that the constellation Ursa Major, The Big Bear (The Big Dipper) was higher in the sky and the Polaris (North Pole Star) was off centre as it usually sits directly over.
These might be anecdotal observations but the Innuit tribes nowadays watch the skies and seasons and have noticed changes. The Mayans did not have instruments etc... and they have predicted all that is happening now.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Here for the LIVE Edano/Kan conference, translated:

yokosonews.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Rods are usually Boron I thought.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

"Situation Update No. 9 On 12.03.2011 at 10:54 GMT+2 An explosion destroyed the roof and walls of Japan's quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, and people nearby are being warned to stay indoors. Radioactivity at the plant was 20 times over the normal level, and Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission earlier said it may be experiencing meltdown. Several workers were reported to be injured in the explosion -- one seriously -- and smoke was seen billowing out of the plant. Eyewitnesses reported strong shaking at the plant shortly before the blast. "A seriously injured worker is still trapped in the crane operating console of the exhaust stack and his breathing and pulse cannot be confirmed. Currently, rescue efforts are under way," nuclear company TEPCO said in a statement. About 45,000 people who live within six miles (10 kilometers) of the No. 1 plant were told to evacuate Saturday. Parts of the reactor's nuclear fuel rods were briefly exposed to the air after cooling water levels dropped through evaporation, and efforts were earlier being made to pump water into the reactor at the site, which is 160 miles (250 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo. Radioactivity at the plant was 20 times over the normal level, and Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission has said it may be experiencing meltdown. "

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig even promised assistance from Major League Baseball. Citing "our shared love of baseball for more than a century," Selig said in a statement that Japan is "a particularly special place to us" and that MLB will provide aid in the coming days and weeks.

Oh how comforting...what are they going to do, send the Japanese baseballs?

CNN

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig even promised assistance from Major League Baseball. Citing "our shared love of baseball for more than a century," Selig said in a statement that Japan is "a particularly special place to us" and that MLB will provide aid in the coming days and weeks.

Oh how comforting...what are they going to do, send the Japanese baseballs?

CNN

Thanks for the laugh I needed that in all this!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
A scientist,whomis being interviewed on Sky news, that he thinks the faultline along the pacific region is failing,with all these earthquakes, happening.

I woe up this morning turned on the TV, watched that Explosion a that plant. What happens with the cloud of radio active going into the air?

ill it effect us all or just the region?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Fortunately for the Japanese the Americans are using their navy to rapidly deploy aid, so the burden isn't all placed on the Baseball League.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

What exactly does that mean, "failing"?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
With so many aftershocks and quakes on the east of Japan, may as well slide into the ocean....Japan moved east 8 feet already....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

He said tokoyo, base is at risk with the failing or the tech tonic plate near that region, and that tokoyo is at risk off being hit with more tsunammis,and ground shaking. His words not mines. The scientists stated,that it was a phenonimum, which has scientists excited, that the whole pacific techonic plate seems to be failing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Anything new about the next possible earthquake in Japan?

top topics

<< 161  162  163    165  166  167 >>

join