It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 163
<< 160  161  162    164  165  166 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The good news according to BBC:

# 1103: Japan's Kyodo news is also reporting that the four people injured in the nuclear plant explosion are conscious and their injuries are not life-threatening.

and some explanation for the reactor problem:

# 1110: An attempt to explain the risk to the Fukushima nuclear plants following the earthquake: The plants are designed to shut down automatically, which halts the main nuclear fission reaction, but there is a residual amount of intense heat within the system. Back-up generators should kick in to power the cooling mechanisms needed to dissipate that heat - but if they fail, as appears to have happened here, temperatures rise. If this isn't stopped, the reactor vessel itself could eventually melt and leak.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Another 6.1 aftershock....

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Its like a kicking a man while he is down.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Notice on the live feed from NHK they are saying that Japan has experienced it's first meltdown. Also I wonder why they have stopped showing the explosion? Stupid nuke plants...of-course TPTB probably factored in this scenario as an "acceptable loss".

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Authorities extend evacuation area to 20kms around Daiichi nuclear plant after explosion, Kyodo News Agency reports.

www.cnn.com

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Another quake > 6 on usgs

MAP 6.1 2011/03/12 10:53:31 39.075 142.352 24.9 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I have been taking readings from my compass everyday since January. It sits on my windowsill, not being moved. It Says this morning that the needle has moved 40 degrees north east. Is this pole shift being caused by the earthquake?
Anyone else noted this? I live in Scotland, north of the equator.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalenga
I have been taking readings from my compass everyday since January. It sits on my windowsill, not being moved. It Says this morning that the needle has moved 40 degrees north east. Is this pole shift being caused by the earthquake?
Anyone else noted this? I live in Scotland, north of the equator.

Time to buy a new compass.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Reuters says Japanese PM to hold press conference at 20:30 local time
about 10 min from now

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

However, the detection of caesium isotopes outside the power station buildings could imply that the core has been exposed to the air.

Although Japan has a long and largely successful nuclear power programme, officials have been less than honest about some incidents in the past, meaning that official re-assurances are unlikely to convince everyone this time round.

Huge Blast at Japan Nuclear Power Plant

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nghtshd

The pole shift is only 10 cm, which in practice means nothing.

edition.cnn.com...

Maybe the length of the day will change by a millionth of a second or something, giving me a bit more (or less) time to sleep.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Just had a conversation with a close friends brother who worked at Sellafield. He said, and I quote " Everything we are seeing right now is all guesswork, no one will know what is realy going on untill some of the markers are known. This would be levels of contamination and risk assessed projections of fallout". He also said he cant understand why there seems to be no attempt at aircraft based concrete containment. Its non interdependent on infrastructure.

As Im like most and not too experienced regarding this type of disaster (Is anyone !). I asked his opinion on how bad this realy is.

His reply....1 is a megadisaster anymore than 1 doesnt bear thinking about ! Remember, we are hearing 5% of what is realy going on, how bad the situation is and how lethal the outcome could be.

Respects

link   
BBC:

# 1122: A full quote from Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano's press conference: "As reported, we have been informed that there was some kind of an explosive phenomenon at Fukushima No 1 nuclear power plant, although it has yet to be confirmed whether [the explosion] was that of a nuclear reactor itself. At present, after the talks among political party heads held a while ago, government officials including the prime minister and the minister of economy, trade, and industry, along with experts, are making all-out efforts to get hold of and analyse the situation, and to take measures."

# 1125: Chief Cabinet Secretary Edano also said that the current level of radioactivity at the power plant was "within the range that was anticipated" when it was decided that steam would be vented from the reactor to release pressure.

link   
Recommended Dosage for Radiological Emergencies involving radioactive iodine[24] Age KI in mg

Over 12 years old 130
3 – 12 years old 65
1 – 36 months old 32
< 1 month old 16

From Wikapedia
edit on 12-3-2011 by ahimsa because: spelling error

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by Riff2525

you only have to take a single maximum dose.....around 200mg (?)....once. it saturates your thyroid and takes weeks to filter out.

and it can be taken within around 20 minutes of the radiation fallout.
edit on 12-3-2011 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

So if i'm worried about this and can pick it up at the pharmacy. How long of a supply do you guys suggest?? 3 months for a single person?
edit on 12-3-2011 by Riff2525 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

People should just calm down and stop losing their heads, until we know more.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Now, was it this map, or the claims of people dying 5000 miles away from Chernobyl that I can't find?

You can get all the details on Chernobyl here

Chernobyl Disaster Documentary
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

People should just calm down and stop losing their heads, until we know more.

Dude, I'm calm. I've been wanting to get some. I'm surrounded by the damn things were I live..by faultlines....awsome.....that's why I'm asking. I'm completely calm. Nervously calm lol

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

I have not noted this. However I find it strange.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Communist news network has the PM on now!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

You're surrounded by what nuclear plants or faultlines?

new topics

top topics

<< 160  161  162    164  165  166 >>

join