It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 160
<< 157  158  159    161  162  163 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
english.kyodonews.jp... Is reporting as breaking news that the evacuation area expanded to 20km.

link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by Teknikal
I wonder is it possible they created the explosion on purpose my thinking is a small dirty bomb is a lot better and more desirable than a meltdown. It's also possible it was just steam although I'm not really buying that I can see a shockwave.

If it's neither of those it's another terrible day for Japan.

AN explosion would cause the radiation to travel further....that would be worste case. No, this explosion was probably hydrogen being used as a coolent.

# 1016: The BBC's environment correspondent Roger Harrabin says he understands the blast at the nuclear plant may have been caused by a hydrogen explosion - also one of the possibilities laid out by Walt Patterson of Chatham House. "If nuclear fuel rods overheat and then come into contact with water, this produces a large amount of highly-flammable hydrogen gas which can then ignite," our correspondent says.

edit on 12-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

No it wouldn't the spread would be limited to the immediate blast area and in effect thin it out, separating the fissionable material would be very desirable it would definitely effect the immediate area but nowhere near as much as a meltdown which is almost guaranteed of effecting hundreds of miles.

Dirty bombs are bad but there no fission occurring just the natural radiation .
The absolute worst thing they could do is allow a meltdown it's better to blow the whole place up immediately in my opinion.

link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I've read plenty on it, it is PURE BS and fearmongering from uneducated people. PLEASE show me one single source of one single person who died of radiation poisoning FIVE THOUSAND miles away from chernobyl. Didn't happen, not even close. Got people in this thread saying they have to evacuate the west coast of the usa, its ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
reply to post by gringoboy

What? When I click on that, youtube says "This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy against spam, scams, and commercially deceptive content. Sorry about that."

Back to tin foil hats, everyone, take off the gas masks...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Japanese authorities are extending the evacuation zone around the two Fukushima nuclear plants from 10km to 20km, according to local media.

I believe they wouldn't be extending the evacuation zone if things were alright or under control. Something is starting to smell really bad on Fukushima.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

SO... now you know just what the 'Temples' that the end-times AntiChrist causes to be built...
these 'Temples' are predicted to be built to/for the 'God of Forces'

we colloqually know these 'Temples' as Nuclear Plants that generate Electricity

'we have seen the enemy and he is us'...Japan & France are dotted with these Temples/Reactors

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkest4
Please stop the fear mongering, the notion that even the worst case a meltdown of a plant or two occurs would kill off people all the way on the west coast of the usa from fallout and you all need to evacuate is ludicrous and all started from a stupid 4chan troll map. Theres 5000+ miles of open space bewteen the west coast and japan. Chernobyl would have wiped out all of europe and asia if deadly amounts of radiation could spread that far from a nuclear plant melt down.

You are mistaken, sorry

That fallout is fresh and will be attracted to water vapor

look at the jet stream,

it couldn't be fresher

www.stormsurfing.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by defenestrator
reply to post by randyvs

SSKI - Potassium Iodide solution can be bought at most drug stores.
I'm heading to WalMart shortly, better safe than sorry, maybe then I can sleep. If there was another 24 hour store in my town I wouldn't break my wallyworld boycott. This is looking to be truly horrific. I'm not one to fearmonger, but criminy, s&#t just got serious on a global scale. Not that it wasn't before.

Ya I fully agree with you on all ponts and I undersatand the comments on fear mongering. I just think we are beyond that point now. You can't fearmonger nuclear meltdown by any stretch. My own bone to throw, is grab all the bottled water you can. And canned foods as well do it. don't think about it, go now. If your reading this stop. Now go . Are you still reading? Leave your house now do it . Not now but right now.GO!
edit on 12-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

Yeah not for video games, the Youtube video was such poor quality, it looked faked. Plus Youtube took it down claiming it was spam and or hoaxing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by darkest4

I cannot find any instance of a person dying 5000 miles from Chernobyl, however, in UK (approximately 2000 miles away) the radiation STILL has effects on sheep which are farmed here.

link:
www.chernobylee.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Just wanted to make a comment about this vs Chernobyl. Chernobyl is surrounded by land, it is not sitting on an island in the Pacific. More than airborne fallout, my concern is for the environmental impact on the ocean. Imagine irradiating the island of Japan, the surrounding waters, AND the air? Just seems like this is a serious thing, and while I wouldn't advocate evacs in the US, I do advocate paying VERY close attention to this situation now and in the future. As someone else said, Chernobyl is STILL too radioactive to stay in for any length of time.

Also, an expert said earlier that a light water plant wouldn't explode, which obviously it has, so I don't hold a lot of credence with those statements.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

Thanks for the reply. I was unaware of the particular details about the Fukishima plant in terms of layout and functionality, in comparison to Chernobyl. It is a light water reactor then, and the affects from this catastrophe will be different than Chernobyl? That explosion looked serious to me. If you could provide more info to that I would greatly appreciate it. As for any kind of evacuation, a million people and under the conditions affecting the environment in Japan, that sounds about as serious as the nuclear emergency. Personally, I think they are sitting ducks.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

No you are wrong. The jetstream and such has always existed and exists across the world, that still doesnt mean a plant meltdown spreads lethal doses 5,000 miles away, never has happened ever. We dropped 2 bombs on Japan, no one said o no the gulfstream will bring the radiation right back to the USA time to evac the west coast. Its ludicrous. Chernobyl was already stated to be worse than these meltdowns could be and that spread lethal doses nowhere near 5,000 miles. People need to be worried for the poor people of japan, not evacuating their california homes, scaring their families etc as has been suggested in this thread.
edit on 12-3-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Don't know how valid it is but I heard from a few sources that "The Elite" are @ New Delhi, potentially in underground bunkers,

Sorry for going off-topic(ish) just wanted to answer this guys question.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
BBC news on TV reporting threats of more tsunamis.

Time will tell.. and i hope these reactors can get sorted quickly and safely before any possible tsunamis arrive..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Woke up to the news of this possible explosion. Expect the evac area to expand from 6km, to 16km, then 60km etc in the coming hours.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
They think the core has been breached, they aren't releasing news to keep panic down to a minimum. When the roof blew off they think that was a core breach, and the containment has been breached...

heh

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
"jols wrote:

Billions of megawatts rain down on the earth every day from the sun. If we were just as concerned with capturing this energy than we are with radioactive containment, then the need for clean energy would be moot. We’d have it. Walk outside, look up. The answer is right over your head.

Nuclear energy will never be safe and it will never be “clean”. Even a properly running nuk plant has severe ecological impact in terms of lowering and heating local water tables.

Plus on a sheer economic level this technology makes no sense. Costs involved with decommissioning a power plant alone outstrip any advantage in this regard. Also of course the cost of the growing problem of radioactive wast storage is incalculable. It’s ironic that those who are so concerned with passing debt on to the next generation tend to be all for this massively idiotic technology that truly passes problems on to the next generation… for the next 150,000 YEARS!!!

When will we finally learn? How many disasters will it take?"

I agree

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by darkest4

Lethal Doses? People dying 5000 miles away? I've been following the thread so perhaps I missed where this was posted by captaintyinknots prior to your accusations of fearmongering, I think he mentioned that radiation traveled as far as England which is well known and documented, but I don't recall the post you seem to be talking about.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the reaction," he said. ...

Now what they don't want is 1 million sick Japanese people to try to rescue...

Can you imagine that?

top topics

<< 157  158  159    161  162  163 >>

join