It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 130
<< 127  128  129    131  132  133 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by preludefanguy

My Pleasure

link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord

Originally posted by VinciVirus

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!!

NASA: Japan's quake was so strong it sped up the Earth's rotation by 1.6 microseconds: apne.ws... #earthquake #tsunam

This also occurred after the Chile earthquake last year. Why are you copy/pasting off Twitter? That's CNN and FOX News' job.
so just because it happend last year this means nothing if anything its more crazy because it happend twice ! and yeah from twitter updates unless you would prefer before its news or me to guess problem ?

Exactly the response I expected from you. Here's an article from Time Magazine about this rare occurrence:
Chile Earthquake Shortens Earth's day

As for the Twitter updates, I was making a joke about how CNN and FOX News rely on it too much. For me I'd rather have facts than speculations.

link   
ALSO

6.1 earthquake, Tonga. Mar 12 2:19pm at epicenter (40m ago, 230km NNE of Neiafu, depth 11km). j.mp...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
OK DO NOT THINK THIS IS AN AFTERSHOCK
Preliminary: 6.2 earthquake, Off East Coast of Honshu, Japan. On 2011/03/12 01:47:17 UTC (9m ago, depth 30km). j.mp...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Some interesting stuff to update. Not good either...

modernsurvivalblog.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

why do you not believe it is an after shock?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by shikori

Ok last year the first major quake was in California, a magnitude5.5 if I recall properly. When I saw this I realized that due to the movement of the north american plate away from the northern rim of the Caribbean plate, room was created for movement of the Caribbean plate, particularly along the cayman trench resulting in the Haiti earthquake, and the 5.8 of the coast of grand cayman. This also increased the number of microquakes along the Puerto Rico trench.

The Movement of the pacific plate against the north american plate, caused the lower portion of the pacific plate to push against the nazca plate, causing the cocos plate to shift to the east and north slightly. This gave the caribbean plate under the pressure of three large plates room for rotation resulting in a seeming belt of seismic activity from haiti to mexico. This rotation added extra pressure to the cocos plate and consequently the nazca plate, this resulted in our chile earthquake as the nazca plate overcame the stress and slid underneath the south american plate. This consequently caused the southeastern portion of the pacific plate to move with the nazca plate building preasure min new zealand, hence the new zealand earthquake. This added stress to the North North eastern tip of the australian plate resulting in the massive china quake.

Of course there were other quakes in between but I can't recall. However with the pacific plate making a big movement underneath the eurasian plate, it is likely that pressure has built in alaska, south america and the west coast. More so alaska and the west coast. However if the energy is released a little at a time there might not be an issue. Also watch oceana. Point the next quake is going to be in the ring of fire, if its west coast the Caribbean could be affected.

Ok there goes the first release of pressure in New Zealand (Oceana recognized term for australia, papua new guinea, new zealand area). as aforementioned.
edit on 11-3-2011 by shikori because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I don't see why it's hard to believe in a lower death toll. Their last massive earthquake resulted in 5k death. They made a lot of changes and improvements to fix the issues with the commonality of earthquakes in their country, and it resulted in less deaths. Most deaths were due to the wave surge they could not get out of the way of. But their buildings and structures stood up much better. It's amazing how much of a difference solid construction can make. San Francisco had a relatively low death rate because of the same. However, you get a country with poor construction, and the death toll skyrockets. Haiti was the example of poor construction + a massive earthquake.

It's almost like some of you are disappointed in a lower death toll. Just not enough mayhem, chaos and death for you? Be happy... it could have been so much worse.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

i do ......................... that 6.2 is not an aftershock why do you not understand that!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I have never, seen anything like that, ever.

really amazing footage of a tsunami, and the sheer force of nature associated with it.

Proves once again water is the strongest element on this planet.

edit on 11-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: the say the mind is the first to go...

link   
and now this !

6.8 earthquake, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan. Mar 12 11:47am at epicenter (18m ago, 168km ENE of Iwaki, depth 25k… j.mp...

link   

that 6.2 is not an aftershock why do you not understand that!

Thank you Mr. science???

edit on 11-3-2011 by Paroxysm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

no problem mr lizard

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by VinciVirus

No, not that the lesser quakes weren't listed, that there weren't ANY quakes over 2.5 elsewhere, just before I made this reply a 6.1 came through in Tonga, so that demeaned a little of that.

Prior to that 8.9 there are quakes listed from too many different places to easily remember, Nd since that has not been the case. Which lends weight to an idea that the stress points on all the other faults in the world are building up right now in a buildup to a massive tectonic release the likes of which we can scarcely imagine.

If this is not the place to discuss the seismic ramifications or analysis, then please direct me to the relevant thread.
edit on 11-3-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Stupid iphone

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I will make a thread about it.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
At least 124 quakes magnitude 5 or higher strike near Honshu, Japan, coast since 8.9 quake hit area Friday -USGS

pretty sad even usgs not calling it 9.1

edit on 11-3-2011 by GullibleUnderlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Right...and since none were greater than 8.9 please give scientific reasons to why you believe they all aren't aftershocks.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Not to mention, I've seen footage of another town on the coast, Minamisoma, population 71 000.... WIPED OUT, most of it underwater, only the foundations of the houses remaining... and of course death toll nation wide only about 337.

I would imagine lots of people just ran for the hills when they felt the quake... what we need to know is how much time was there between the quake and the tsunami reaching the city...

Since the earthquake was about 120 km from Sendai and 137 km from Minamisoma... I would say at least a few hours... but that would be WRONG... since reports say that it took only 10-15 minutes before the first tsunami hit...so the tsunami probably reached Sendai and Minamisoma about 20-30 minutes in...

If you are walking... you would need to move within minutes after the quake to make it in a safe area... that or go into a skyscraper to be safe from a tsunami... but guess what, in Minamisoma, there's no skyscraper, the whole town was wiped out... So if you lived there... you had to leave everything behind within minutes or you would be caught in the tsunami...

And based on what the general public does usually... it would surprise me if really everybody ran for the hills within minutes of the quake... and IMO many were caught in the tsunami out of the 71k people... Even if only 10% stayed... that's still 7100 people... And the reason why I didn't see any body from the footage... the tsunami probably took back the bodies when the water receded...

So I don't believe at all that the death toll will only be 1000... no way in hell. Or the Japanese people are very well drilled... which might be the case.
edit on 11-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I am getting so much conflicting information about the nuclear power plant - is it under control, or not?

If it does undergo a meltdown - what are the ricks involved for those in Japan and surrounding countries (including the USA and Canada)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

the link said the 6.2 was not an aftershock try reading mr lizard

new topics

top topics

<< 127  128  129    131  132  133 >>

join