It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 129
<< 126  127  128    130  131  132 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Well I guess the kids will have to get off their wii for a while. Not a bad thing there.

Anyway, wow. In watching one particular clip you can see people in the cars that are floating. That just set me in tears. I too wonder if there was any evacuation time. How long after the quake did the Tsunami hit ? Anyone know?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin

Originally posted by DCPatriot

Originally posted by packinupngoin

Originally posted by ucantcme
I just watched on CNN that the town Minamisoma population 71 thousand was completely washed away. They showed footage of it. It was horrible you couldnt see any survivors. They said they are not sure if there are any.

Hey just a thought why would they have not added that to the death toll? Is it a possibility that they were able to evacuate people before time or are they just not sure how many people have died? 71 thousand just knocks me down but I am not seeing that number or anything close to that number being reported in the death toll.
edit on 11-3-2011 by packinupngoin because: (no reason given)

Governments usually don't cite fatalities without proof of recovered bodies.

That's going to take a very long time....and some people will NEVER be found.

But they were at least evacuated before time, right? If not than this is a tad too sad for me to watch. I'll just have to wait for the final updates on the whole situation.

How could those people have been evacuated? The quake happened around 2PM, Japan time and the tsunami occurred less than 30 minutes later, didn't it?

Have you ever been caught in a traffic jam when a NFL game is over? That's "only" 50,000 people. On dry....intact roads.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
Bus plunges into western China ravine, killing at least 16 people, injuring 24 - AP

Lol.
Off topic and completely irrelevant.
Spam!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Thats a shame really. I love disaster movies as much as anyone else but i understand what it means when it happens in real life. How serious a situtuation like this is. That its not fantasy created to entertain us, people are dying. So I really dont understand that kind of thinking. But thats just me.
edit on 11-3-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DCPatriot

good point , maybe they will explain later

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
Bus plunges into western China ravine, killing at least 16 people, injuring 24 - AP

Lol.
Off topic and completely irrelevant.
Spam!

be sure to include like everyone of your posts to this thread ok since you like to make points , is this why you come to ats?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
What I don't understand is their low death toll.

For example, Sendai, just on the coast, was hit by a 10 meters tsunami (33 fts) and there's ONE MILLION PEOPLE in that city alone... and they say the total dead is 337...

Something doesn't compute.

Also for those who thought that the ground felt like liquid...

The tsunami also submerged the runway at Sendai airport, while a process known as liquefaction, caused by the intense shaking of the tremor, turned parts of the ground to liquid.

And for the next one :

The government has warned of a 70 percent chance that a magnitude-eight quake will strike within the next 30 years in the Kanto plains, home to Tokyo's vast urban sprawl.

The quake lasted 2 minutes!

The quake, which hit at 2:46 pm (0546 GMT) and lasted about two minutes, rattled buildings in greater Tokyo, the world's largest urban area and home to some 30 million people. It was felt in Beijing, some 2,500 kilometres (1,500 miles) away.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nghtshd

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
reply to post by nghtshd

Watch the video of said whirlpools to see it's true nature. A still does not capture that...

I've seen the video.

For those who haven't seen it - here's a link of the whirlpool video & explaination from a science website:

Japans Whirlpool Video & Scientific explaination

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
NOOOOO Sony, Nintendo, Anime, I hope they are ok

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
My posts in this thread are completely on topic or at least have been until now.
I'm not the one posting about car crashes in unrelated countries with no links.
Good work for keeping us updated though

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

vitchilo, I think they are saying like 80,000 are missing, their are some claims out there, I am guessing they are keeping the death toll low, for awhile, for the missing people's sake, or hope their of.

as far the ground liquefying wow...
edit on 11-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

link   
what if this quake and tsunami was not caused by the earth, but by the USA government itself? if you have researched HAARP you know it can affect the weather, and the earth itself. seeing as all we hear about is that japan had NO warning, and due to the Northern lights appearing much stronger where i live than i have ever seen them, could the US government had used HAARP, in an attempt to hit China and Korea but miscalculated? i took a picture of the satellite image over HAARP today and the satellite was not able to get the full image properly. half of HAARP was covered in brown and purple and green blurred out color. Could the USA had tried to hit China to try to reduce it's debt by helping out and asking for less on the debt? this is a massive earthquake with NO forewarning, even though japan always has warnings? something doesn't sound right to me.

link   
reply to post by pazcat

i saw china got confused posted it thought it was japan my bad
havent slept in a hot minute got nothing against you man.
edit on 11-3-2011 by GullibleUnderlord because: (no reason given)

link   

Exactly! Something is definitely off. We are being drip fed information. Expect the death toll to be in the 100,000's.

link   

I think it might be because they are so used to quakes. Buildings are made to withstand these massive quakes. I heard somewhere they have small tremors once every few days. Just a guess, but i think this is one of the main reasons the death toll is so low thankfully.

Edit: However, with the tsunami im surprised the death toll is not much higher atm.

edit on 11-3-2011 by namenone1 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Sony is fine actually, read a twitter update.

NO idea on Nintendo, though.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSmith

Ah, thanks for the info. Guess they wanna keep the fear factor high so people will keep watching. I'm thinking the rebels in Libya are cursing the timing of this thing, they're getting hammered right now and all eyes are elsewhere...
edit on 11-3-2011 by 27jd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I kinda have a theory here...Not really based on any fact, probably more on hope....But I heard a guy that had called into coast to coast AM, and he said in the last few months atleast he'd been watching a compass before the quake and the earth had moved 4 degrees and after the quake it had reset back 2 degrees.

That got me thinking..It seemed like all this crazy weather and other things seemed to kick off after the Sumatra quake...I know that quake threw off the rotation a small amount, maybe our balance on the planet is so delicate that a little change like that can throw off our weather patterns and cause the chaos we've been seeing, and maybe some of the damage has been reversed after this quake. Maybe the plates and other things will calm down now.

link   
OK DO NOT THINK THIS IS AN AFTERSHOCK
Preliminary: 6.2 earthquake, Off East Coast of Honshu, Japan. On 2011/03/12 01:47:17 UTC (9m ago, depth 30km). j.mp...

link   
reply to post by shadowland8

Nintendo is in Kyoto, far from the site of the disaster i do believe.

<< 126  127  128    130  131  132 >>

join