It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 128
<< 125  126  127    129  130  131 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Japan quake affects D.C. area residents, abroad and at home wapo.st...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCPatriot

Originally posted by packinupngoin

Originally posted by ucantcme
I just watched on CNN that the town Minamisoma population 71 thousand was completely washed away. They showed footage of it. It was horrible you couldnt see any survivors. They said they are not sure if there are any.

Hey just a thought why would they have not added that to the death toll? Is it a possibility that they were able to evacuate people before time or are they just not sure how many people have died? 71 thousand just knocks me down but I am not seeing that number or anything close to that number being reported in the death toll.
edit on 11-3-2011 by packinupngoin because: (no reason given)

Governments usually don't cite fatalities without proof of recovered bodies.

That's going to take a very long time....and some people will NEVER be found.

But they were at least evacuated before time, right? If not than this is a tad too sad for me to watch. I'll just have to wait for the final updates on the whole situation.

link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Sarcastic much?

Point is they have time to make things right, and there is every indication they can do that. If not the point is a moo point anyway.
And yes the aftershocks are perfectly normal, as normal as they can be for a quake of this magnitude.

link   
reply to post by mademyself1984

So why are all the news outlets still reporting less than 1,000 dead? I too saw that a whole area was gone, 71,000 people. Last bad quake killed over 140,000. Either way, it's bad...very bad.

link   
CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!!

NASA: Japan's quake was so strong it sped up the Earth's rotation by 1.6 microseconds: apne.ws... #earthquake #tsunam

link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Japans minister has issued a State of Emergancy as per CNN. A well creditentialed expert is speaking now regarding the 'fear factor' and the reality.

Edit to add: He states this incident has the potential to be more like 3 Mile Island rather then Chernobyl.
edit on 3/11/2011 by Whisper67 because: Update

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
They seem to be all over the place about the nuclear plants, it goes back and forth between okay and being in danger of becoming another disaster...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
States of emergency in 4 Northern Calif. counties due to #tsunami damage on.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by shikori

awesome, thank you for that information very detailed

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by packinupngoin

I think they are waiting untill they know for sure before adding that to the death toll. They said they dont know if anyone got out or not.

link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
reply to post by Vitchilo

my reports says within hours of meltdown if not solved

Mine say the control rods are in place and the risk of a meltdown is remote. You just still have a lot of residual heat with no cooling, but not on going fission.

link   
I just want to say thanks again to everyone for keeping the thread going with up to the minute updates. I have been in and our of here for more than 16 hours and it's good to see that after missing 5 pages you can still get a recap of what's going on.

~ jonelle (:

link   

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!!

NASA: Japan's quake was so strong it sped up the Earth's rotation by 1.6 microseconds: apne.ws... #earthquake #tsunam

This also occurred after the Chile earthquake last year. Why are you copy/pasting off Twitter? That's CNN and FOX News' job.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Bus plunges into western China ravine, killing at least 16 people, injuring 24 - AP

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

Obviously Sony, Nintendo products would be massively impacted. If not directly by the Earthquake itself but logistical issues from airports and Seaports needing space accommodating the relief efforts. The Industrial backbone of Japan i'd imagine would be taking a step back somewhat for the next year or two while it gets back on its feet.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
They seem to be all over the place about the nuclear plants, it goes back and forth between okay and being in danger of becoming another disaster...

CNN explained it pretty well just now.

Basically said that they got the Rods into the reactor, so the possibility of a meltdown is almost zero, chernobl never got the Rods in, which is why it melted-down.

They have a problem with the cooling system, meaning its heating up to levels that they have to open the roof to vent the temp, releasing higher levels of radiation than normal.

They need to replace power, to get the cooling system working, right now its running on battery power. Most likly also need to repair the cooling systems.

The expert said he didnt see life threatening levels of radiation being released, but that the psychological level would be very high on the ecconomy and other parts of life.

link   
keep lowering pressure in the reactors.... go go go
0143: Tokyo Electric Power releases more radioactive vapour from a second sticken reactor, AFP reports.

www.bbc.co.uk...

link   

Originally posted by VinciVirus

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!!

This also occurred after the Chile earthquake last year. Why are you copy/pasting off Twitter? That's CNN and FOX News' job.
so just because it happend last year this means nothing if anything its more crazy because it happend twice ! and yeah from twitter updates unless you would prefer before its news or me to guess problem ?

link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
reply to post by nghtshd

Watch the video of said whirlpools to see it's true nature. A still does not capture that...

I've seen the video.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
There aren't many earthquakes going on today. Maybe the big one off Japan has released a lot of the tension in the plates. I think this may be the last big earthquake we will see for a while.

new topics

top topics

<< 125  126  127    129  130  131 >>

join