It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 105
<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I hope the nuclear power plant can´t explode that would be catastrophic.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Without wanting to sound too drastic, if they cant get this under control like they (Just) managed to do at Windscale with that runaway process. Get ready for the first ever man-made volcano created in Japan.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
fox news said levels on reactor 1000x normal now.
also has guest on currently that predicts 8. for u.s.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
2140: Meanwhile, officials in Washington have said the US military did not provide any coolant to a nuclear plant in Japan. Earlier, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said US Air Force "assets" had been used to do so.

Okay that´s weird.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thanks to all who have posted and contributed to the thread
(yes I did read all of it!l)

I think it was justmike who posted a great link to view the quakes, I will add again as it is a goodun....

Latest Earthquakes

I got a really bad feeling about all this.

Sending lots of love and prayers to all those affected and suffering. xOx

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Evidence showing the build up of events days before from this article.

Japan earthquake Thursday follows Wednesday's 7.3 magnitude quake

www.csmonitor.com...

By Associated Press / March 9, 2011

A magnitude-6.3 earthquake struck off east coast of Honshu, Japan, on Thursday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. No tsunami alert was issued.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

A day earlier, a magnitude 7.3 earthquake off Japan's northeast coast shook buildings hundreds of miles (kilometers) away in Tokyo and triggering a small tsunami, but casued no significant damage or injuries.

The 4:44 a.m. Thursday (1844 GMT Wednesday) quake was shallow, some 1.2 miles (2 kilometers) below the surface, the USGS said.

The USGS said the quake hit some 126 miles (203 kilometers) east of Sendai, in Honshu, Japan, and about 272 miles (438 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo.

Japan lies on the "Ring of Fire" — an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones that stretches around the Pacific Rim and where about 90 percent of the world's quakes occur.

Text

link   
reply to post by defenestrator

Don't worry about it!! I'm a customer service rep and currently taking calls as we speak. I heard through dis-info that it occurred in that region. I didnt have time to look it up between that thought. Thanks for doing the thinking

link   
daylight in japan live streem for those interested http://(link tracking not allowed)/gaQ3WW

link   
My heart goes out to all affected people.

This may be off topic. But....... is it now time for the entire world to re-think moving the population and entire cities from fault lines and flood plains to more safer areas. And rebuild elsewhere. As time and time again the phrase "not if, but when" disasters occur in these fault lines and flood plains.
edit on 11/3/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

link   
There's already a complete wiki page on this disaster...

It gives this only source for the eathquake to be of 9.1 magnitude:

The Japan earthquake was the fourth most powerful ever recorded with a magnitude of 9.1, twice more powerful than the initial estimate of 8.9, Gerard Fryer, geophysicist of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, said this morning. Three others that were more powerful since the late 1800s when seismometers started measuring ground motions were in 9.5 in Chile in 1960, 9.2 in Alaska in 1964 and 9.1 in Sumatra in 2004, according to Fryer. The new magnitude was adjusted based on the impact of the quake throughout the Pacific, he said. "It fits all measurements, including in Hawaii," Fryer said. The U.S. Geological Survey estimate of the quake's magnitude is still 8.9. It is not uncommon for scientists to estimate different magnitudes immediately after an earthquake.

It is thought to have been the largest earthquake to have struck Japan in the last 1,200 years!!

edit on 11-3-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

It releases tension which in this case that release caused a 6.6(?) mag quake in that area under Japan. So really it makes future earthquakes under Japan less likely I think, but no one will really know until we shoot it with ground penetrating equipment. The price paid would of course be the 8.9 and following tsunamis.

Edit: oh never mind you are wondering how it will affect America, oops. We won't have to worry about that plate for quite a long time me thinks.
edit on 11-3-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

“The energy radiated by this quake is nearly equal to one month’s worth of energy consumption” in the United States, U.S. Geological Survey Scientist Brian Atwater told the Associated Press.

via: www.thestar.com...

Sorry to be slightly off-topic, but with such huge energies being released during quakes, some way of harnessing that energy would provide enough energy to power the whole USA for 1 month. Obviously being able to capture this energy would also provide damping (reducing the destructive energy by converting it into electrical).

I realise this is probably implausible, but just wanted to share the thought. If anybody wants to propose a mechanism for this, that would be interesting...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
and so it continues.....................................................................

Widespread Tsunami Warning is in Effect (Pacific): a tsunami warning is in effect for japan/russia/indonesia/papua new g… j.mp...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

The electrical grid is down. The emergency diesel generators have been damaged. The multi-reactor Fukushima atomic power plant is now relying on battery power, which will only last around 8 hours. The Magnitude 8.9 quake hit 10 hours ago followed by two aftershocks of magnitudes 6.8 and 7.1 nine hours ago. It is unclear which of these damaged the reactor cooling system or when the battery power was turned on. The danger is, the very thermally hot reactor cores at the plant must be continuously cooled for 24 to 48 hours. Without any electricity, the pumps won't be able to pump water through the hot reactor cores to cool them. Once electricity is lost, the irradiated nuclear fuel could begin to melt down i8n as little as an hour. If the containment systems fail, a catastrophic radioactivity release to the environment could occur. In addition to the reactor cores, the storage pool for highly radioactive irradiated nuclear fuel is also at risk. The pool cooling water must be continuously circulated. Without circulation, the still thermally hot irradiated nuclear fuel in the storage pools will begin to boil off the cooling water. Within a day or two, the pool's water could completely boil away. Without cooling water, the irradiated nuclear fuel could spontaneously combust in an exothermic reaction. Since the storage pools are not located within containment, a catastrophic radioactivity release to the environment could occur. Up to 100% of the volatile radioactive Cesium-137 content of the pools could go up in flames and smoke, to blow downwind over large distances. Given the large quantity of irradiated nuclear fuel in the pool, the radioactivity release could be worse than the Chernobyl nuclear reactor catastrophe of 25 years ago.

www.beyondnuclear.org...

Oh boy here we go!!! Better get the U.S. Navy in there to stop the largest nuclear disaster in history.

link   
reply to post by diamonddave

Hoping and praying that the Juan de Fuca subduction zone will be okay, as will the San Andreas. I've been watching several west coast seismo stations all day on GEE and they're very quiet, most of the time staying around the 5 micron/sec range (which is nothing unusual).

Unfortunately, Japan is still having some very serious aftershocks and in addition, quakes on the other side of Honshu on another fault from the one that went off with the huge quake earlier.

Here's an updated map from USGS for the Japan region, as at 21:30 UTC today (March 11):

SOURCE

The mag 6.6 on the NW side of Honshu is on or close to the fault there. This is a worry becuase that fault runs right down through the island.

If I can fins a map that shows these faults in more detail (they're plate boundaries) I'll post it.

Mike

link   
I haven't seen this posted so...

David Applegate, a senior science adviser for earthquake and geologic hazards for the U.S. Geological Survey, said the 8.9-magnitude quake ruptured a patch of the earth's crust 150 miles long and 50 miles across.

www.google.com...
Is this why there continues to be aftershocks of 5.0 to 6.6 about every 15 minutes?
edit on 11-3-2011 by fltcui because: fix link

link   
Another large EQ coming in on GEE @ 21:43 UTC. Watch for it on USGS in a bit.
2nd line.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

If you are in Japan, my very grave condolences, and you need to get weather reports for your area and go upwind of the fallout! Get some Potassium iodide and wear a hoodie and breathing protection, and yes, travel as best you can safely away.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Talking about dragon triangle.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
possible nuclear fall out. from the BBC:
www.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join